Dell 2405FPW 24" inch on the way?????

UPDATE:

OK, I spoke again with the Samsung TFT development team today, and the only way this would be a BenQ panel is if Samsung sells the glass to BenQ in Taiwan. The glass with the specs above is Samsung. Samsung knows all about the Dell monitor and it's source for the TFT glass is Samsung. If BenQ is involved, it is aquiring the raw panles from Samsung. I believe the Dell panels are being assembled in China. In any case we most likely will see them go on sale soon.

Equalizer said:
Do the specs metioned in the other thread match up to those of the Samsung? I know Samsung makes nice quality panels and with a 12ms response would be even better. How good are the BenQ panels?

they are the exact same.

What wasn't mentioned is the 8ms grey to grey response time. :)

APOLLO said:
I saw the 24" Beng many times before. It has a horrible picture IMO. Very washed out colors, almost as if there was a low contrast ration. It wasn't just the quality of one display. Every store I went to where the Benq was being displayed showed the same picture quality. In one store there was a 23" HP beside the Benq and it was much superior in IQ.

Benq does not sell a 24" monitor. Here is their lineup. The largest is a 23" currently.

http://www.benq.com/display/lcd_index.html

grdh20 said:
they are the exact same.

What wasn't mentioned is the 8ms grey to grey response time. :)

If this is true and this panel looks as good as it sounds then I'm going to need a lot of tissue.

This BenQ panel thing is off base in my opinion. That site posted at the other link for the TCO page appears to show that BenQ is assembling the monitors for Dell. That same site also shows the Dell 2001fp as a Ben Q manufacturer. And it is common knowledge now that the panel in the 2001fp is an L G Philips panel. Looks to me like BenQ is being the company that assembles the monitor for Dell with the components that Dell chooses.

BenQ does not make panels themselves as far as I know. I think they have a small subsidiary that does make panels but it is not BenQ. And the only panel maker out there that makes a 24 inch is Samsung unless someone just came out with one. I sure have not heard anything about that.

That newer widescreen BenQ monitor out there uses the same 23 inch panel as the HP L2335, the Apple Cinema, the Viewsonic, and the Sony. It is not a 24 inch panel.

For my money at this point I still think it will be a Samsung 24 inch panel in the new Dell. Will be happy to eat crow if it isn't. Just because it is a samsung panel does not mean Samsung has to assemble the monitor itself. Thats a whole different Samsung Division.

The specs from that oriental site don' t match the preview specs on the new 24 inch Samsung panel. They show the contrast and brightness a bit high. But maybe they are right, who knows.

Here's the link to the Samsung Panel spec page.

http://www.samsung.com/Products/TFTLCD/Monitors_n_Industrial/LTM240M1/LTM240M1.htm

I guess soon enough we will know everything about this new beast. I personally am having fun with the wait and reading all of the speculation, including my own. ;)

more speculation:

since we haven't heard anything about a samsung monitor using the new panel, does it seem odd that samsung would let dell (possibly) beat them to the market? you'd think they'd keep their panel (with awesome specs, btw) for their exclusive use, for a while at least. I mean, how is samsung going to make money with their own monitor when you know how low dell can bring the prices of these things down?

Well, Samsung may have decided that they can make more money by selling huge amounts of panels to Dell. I mean, Samsung has historically priced their top monitor pretty high, with a lower demand resulting. This gives them what will likely be a significant, guaranteed demand on the panels, but at the loss of profit per panel. I couldn't give you numbers but huge companies don't tend to make moves like this without some real number crunching behind it...I'm sure it's justified.

LxT said:
more speculation:

since we haven't heard anything about a samsung monitor using the new panel, does it seem odd that samsung would let dell (possibly) beat them to the market? you'd think they'd keep their panel (with awesome specs, btw) for their exclusive use, for a while at least. I mean, how is samsung going to make money with their own monitor when you know how low dell can bring the prices of these things down?

they sell them to dell because theyre a business and they need to make money elsewhere.

theyre probably letting dell 'beat' them to the market to use as a trial run to see how these things catch on. if its a flop, then they still made some money off of dell.

if the 24" is a huge hit (no pun intended) then samsung will release there own version. they may also sell 'lower quality' panels to dell and keep the darn nice ones for themselves.

Sneak said:
The specs from that oriental site don' t match the preview specs on the new 24 inch Samsung panel. They show the contrast and brightness a bit high. But maybe they are right, who knows.

Here's the link to the Samsung Panel spec page.

http://www.samsung.com/Products/TFTLCD/Monitors_n_Industrial/LTM240M1/LTM240M1.htm

I guess soon enough we will know everything about this new beast. I personally am having fun with the wait and reading all of the speculation, including my own. ;)

That is because Samsung hasn't updated that link with the new specs yet.

LxT said:
more speculation:

I guess you haven't read all the posts. I have already stated that Samsung is going to have their version of this panel. Guys, I am getting my info DIRECTLY FROM SAMSUNG, NOT some overseas who knows web site. NO NEED TO SPECULATE!! sheesh . . . :rolleyes:

truffle00 said:
Well, Samsung may have decided that they can make more money by selling huge amounts of panels to Dell. I mean, Samsung has historically priced their top monitor pretty high, with a lower demand resulting. This gives them what will likely be a significant, guaranteed demand on the panels, but at the loss of profit per panel. I couldn't give you numbers but huge companies don't tend to make moves like this without some real number crunching behind it...I'm sure it's justified.

The Samsung folks told me today that they are trying to sell the panels to any company that is interested. They make $ either end.

Again, PANEL = GLASS

Monitor = What you buy.

miaoweizg said:
1900X1200 WUXGA
12ms
1000:1
500cd/m2

funny, I don't see any matching specs on this list:
click
so my guess is that the contrast ratio and brightness is backlight dependent??? :confused:

I don't care which specs are right or wrong. All I know is my pr0n is never gonna look better.

</thread>

:cool:

Cheval said:
I don't care which specs are right or wrong. All I know is my pr0n is never gonna look better.

</thread>

:cool:
ROTFLOL!!!

I sploogied myself after reading those specs. I don't have a girlfriend, so I get to buy myself a Valentine's Day gift. Guess what I'm gonna buy for me, me, ME!?!?!? :D :D

TSS Modder said:
to my knowledge they only use Samsungs, but im sure that they may use cheaper brands...
but i know that my new 1704fpv is a samsung.

the 1800FP is an lg panel, last I knew

/edit - Oops.. this has been stated already...

TSS Modder said:
they sell them to dell because theyre a business and they need to make money elsewhere.

theyre probably letting dell 'beat' them to the market to use as a trial run to see how these things catch on. if its a flop, then they still made some money off of dell.

if the 24" is a huge hit (no pun intended) then samsung will release there own version. they may also sell 'lower quality' panels to dell and keep the darn nice ones for themselves.

Samsung sells a 24" panel.. 24.3" to be precise, and has for some time
/edit - Nevermind on that.. didn't see that this thread was 11 pages long..

I opted for 2 x 21.3" panels for $1600 instead of 1 x 24.3" panel for $2300 though.

From the research I did on 23" widescreens with a 16ms response time, all of them went for at least $1500 new. The only 24" panels I've heard about have a 25ms response, and I'm guessing would start at $1700 or more.

I'm currently waiting for an HP L2335 to arrive on my doorstep. Hopefully Dell won't one up (or underprice!) my new toy.

Specifications:
Screen type: Active matrix - TFT LCD
Screen dimensions: 24 inches (24-inch diagonal viewable image size)
Response time: 12ms typical (Grey to Grey) / 16ms typical (Black to White)
Contrast Ratio: 1000:1 (typical)
Brightness: 500cd/m2 (typical)
Pixel pitch: 0.270 mm
Optimal preset resolution: Analog : 1920 x 1200 at 60 Hz(VESA CVT-R Mode) Digital : 1920 x 1200 at 60 Hz(VESA CVT-R Mode)
Highest preset resolution: Analog : 1920 x 1200 at 60 Hz(VESA CVT-R Mode) Digital : 1920 x 1200 at 60 Hz(VESA CVT-R Mode)

Card Reader can read: SmartMedia Card (SMC), CompactFlash type I/II Card (CF I/II) / MicroDrive (MD), Secure Digital Card (SD) / MultiMediaCard (MMC) / Mini Secure Digital (with Adapter) and Memory Stick Card (MS) / Memory Stick Pro Card (MS PRO) / Memory Stick Duo (with Adapter).

No pricing info still. Probable specs from Steven are correct, just added some more. :)

If Dell want's to keep the price as low as they are used to do, they will need to reduce the costs when assembling the screen. This could mean they will have the same problems like the 2005FP( especially the backlight leakage). Hopefully I'm wrong. But maybe Samsung is counting on that and when they come out with there new 24" TFT it will be of a higher quality that could justify the higher price they will probably ask.

Digitized said:
funny, I don't see any matching specs on this list:
click
so my guess is that the contrast ratio and brightness is backlight dependent??? :confused:

They changed the specs recently but haven't updated the website yet.

I must admit that I have not read the entire thread so please excuse me if its been stated.

Is there a release date for this baby?

jacuzz1 said:
I must admit that I have not read the entire thread so please excuse me if its been stated.

Is there a release date for this baby?

They have yet to be officially announced

It's been "thrown around" that the 2405fpw will become available as of 2/14/2005, but I have yet to see substantial documentation verifying that date.

No "official" word from Dell, but February 14th has been cited as the release date on a few hardware-oriented websites, such as Neowin.

is the component in confirmed? barring serious build problems, this looks like THE display for me.

This monitor wont be $1500+ - maybe at first but not by mid year. The prices on these monitors are all falling like theres no tomorrow. The Dell 2005fpw is at $550 sale($750 reg) for a reason - it's were all of these widescreens are headed. It's been known on the major HT sites that LCD's are set to make a major price drop in the next 12 months 25-50% in some cases. The days of $2,000 LCD PC monitors are gone and the manufactures have their lastest generation plants up and running and this is why were seeing what were seeing. It's about competition. Apple who is know for premuim priceing has their 1680x1050 at $999 list it stated at $1,499 if not more a year ago. By the second half of this year there will be more than a few 1920x1200 LCD's for $999 with the very best one's(Samsung Built) at $1,250.00 or so. I personal have a Samsung 12ms and there is no-none-nada-zip back light issue, no dead pixels what so ever, and the 12ms is just smokeing when I play CS:S it put my CRT to shame as far a vividness and detail. I personally will wait for the Samsung version of this monitor and don't mind paying and extra $250 for that, as I have 5 different calibration software programs and my current Samsung LCD 712n past them all with pitch black screen when I turn my lights off. I'm also glad I din't hit the buy button on Dell website as the 24 inch Samsung looks like a dream monitor. I Just hope that they trim the besel down to .5 inch or less as 1 inch like on their current 24's is just a tad to much. The market now is about geting current LCD owners to upgrade and thats not happening at+$1250.00 range I bet by late this year I'll get that Samsung on sale for $1,000 while the less resolution LCD battle it out in the $400-$800 range. The current 1600x1200 will drop to $500 to $800 and the 16:10 1680 x1050 will be the sweet spot for everyone at$400 to $800, and the 1980x1200 will be high end $800-$1200 range. david

I'm just hoping to get it for under $1000.

One thing the 2405fpw has over the 243t is the component input.

I hope you're right about the pricing, David. Mid-year is just about when I planned on upgrading to a 24" widescreen. If that top-of-the-line Samsung 24" LCD can be had for $1250-ish, I'll be all over it!! :D

I'm gonna guess an initial MSRP of $1499 or $1599 with eventual discounting and coupons making them available to lucky individuals for somewhere between $850 and a grand.

Elec said:
I'm gonna guess an initial MSRP of $1499 or $1599 with eventual discounting and coupons making them available to lucky individuals for somewhere between $850 and a grand.

I doubt it. The Samsung 243T is still on the Dell site at $1999 less $100 rebate. The 2005 is listed around $789. Hopefully we will see soon.

Back