Dell 2405FPW 24" inch on the way?????

Seems pretty obvious that it must be a mistake. There's no way the 24" would be cheaper than the 20", and besides that, the model number 2005FP.

Edit: Adding that choice to your cart, I see:
Monitors Dell 24 inch UltraSharp™ 2005FP Widescreen, adjustable stand, VGA/DVI 2405FPW [320-4188] 5

Since it does mention 2405FPW, maybe it is real. If so, the price must be wrong because it's like $300 cheaper than the 2005FP

I think the website editor at Dell missed this one. The 24" LCD is listed as the 2005FPW. The 2005 is actually Dell's 20" WSXGA+ LCD. And customer service is gonna have a helluva time explaining why they won't honor that $280 upgrade price once someone finally catches that error. :p :rolleyes: :eek:

Yeah, but once it's in your cart, the model shows 2405FPW on the right column and it has a different item number (320-4188) than the 2005FP.

looks like they fixed it.

Hope somebody got this and give us a review :)

yeah...they probably got the email notice that a reply had been posted to this thread, looked at this thread, said holy sh*t!! and went and fixed it ASAP. ;)

How is this fixed? I'm looking at the website now and it still shows $280...

See for yourself:
config.aspx

Sorry, tried to Insert a Picture (screen capture) but I can't get it to work right here.

IMO, it still looks like you can get this Workstation WITH the 24" Widescreen LCD panel for ~$1500. Seem like a deal? Anyone willing to risk buying this hoping to get the 2405FPW for cheap?

I'm tempted...

How so?

This is a literal cut'n'paste from the Dell webpage:

Dell 24 inch UltraSharp™ 2005FP Widescreen, adjustable stand, VGA/DVI [add $280]

When you say "they fixed it", what exactly are you referring to?

BTW-

I'd like to insert the screenshot I've taken. Anyone know how to do this on this forum, or is my "Noobie" status preventing my authorization to do this?

(When I click the "Insert Picture" icon in edit mode, I get "Enter the text to be formatted"...?!? I thought it would let me browse my HD for the jpg...)

You can't insert an image on this site unless you host it somewhere and link to it. You could upload it to imageshack.us and link to it that way.

You are right though, it's not fixed. I would imagine that if you ordered, you'd end up with a 2005FPW, but if you've got the money, it could be interesting to try.

unless u own a small or large business, I can't imagine someone being able to buy it as an individual :D

I'm not sure about the medium and large business division, but I've purchased from the small business division as an individual many times. I always compare prices on what I want between home and small business and buy from whichever one ends up being cheaper.

yeah small business allows to purchase without requiring any special docs, not so with other stores (except Home of course)

mumstead said:
Database Freak,

I actually own the Sony P234 16ms 23" as well as the 243T. I also tried the Sony 19" that has a 12ms response (cant think of the model right now). I have compared the monitors side by side and there is very little difference in "ghosting" or "smearing" between all three. I did a side by side review here of the P234 and the 243T a month or so ago and explained why I chose the 243T as my primary gaming monitor.

mumstead, after all the nonreply's on my emails to Samsung, the forum members reporting ghosting on the 243T while gaming, I just opted to add another $1000 to the budget and get the "Mother of all TFT monitors" the Apple 30" HD Cinema Display. Which did decrease in price unlike the Samsung. Added for 359euro an Asus V9999GE to it which, as the only 6800 card, supports the 2560x1200 native resolution for a very frendly price. I haven't found dead pixels on them jet as the Samsungs had. Could not find the slightest ghosting, color is amazing on this monitor better then on the Apple 23". If you calculate the $ price per square inch you will see the 30ACD is cheaper compared to the Samsung 243T.

To all in doubt just go to an Apple-store and site in front of this monitor and your sold. Just take your wife with you, so she will understand it as well. The Asus V9999GE is confirmed by many ACD30 owners to work perfectly with this monitor. So you don't need to buy an expensive dual-link proffessional card to go with it.

I had around 2k to spend on a video card and monitor. So the 243T and a 6800 Ultra fit my budget nicely. I did go to the Apple store and look at the Apple 23" and 30". The 30" is impressive but was out of my price range. I also worried that there would be no video card that could push 2560x1200 at a decent frame rate in games. To my eyes the difference in "ghosting" between the Sony 23" (which is the same panel as the Apple 23") was very small. To me all LCD's "smear" and "ghost" like crazy. I am so sensitive to it that I even see smearing on a CRT in a fast moving FPS game or scrolling a web site. However, I find that when I am playing a game I tend to focus on the game and not the monitor. If the game is fun "ghosting" is the last thing I think about. To me the 243T is the widescreen to beat because of its beautiful colors. I couldn't compare the Apple 30" side by side with the 243T. From the reviews I have read I would be willing to bet the 243T comes out on top in color, black, and white reproduction. Although 6 more inches of monitor would probably make me forget about color nuance :D

Database Freak said:
If you calculate the $ price per square inch you will see the 30ACD is cheaper compared to the Samsung 243T.

That's a general rule of thumb though. Monitors, TV, even memory (like RAM & HDDs) always (or almost) gives you a better price/capacity-size ratio, or else the product wouldn't be justified.

LxT said:
looks like they fixed it.

Hope somebody got this and give us a review :)

Not really. It's still offered, and we just put in our order. Here's a line item from the quote directly from Dell.

Monitor:

Dell UltraSharp 2405FP,Wide Flat Panel w/Height AdjustableStand,24.0 Inch VIS,OptiPlex Precision and Latitude (320-4188)

I don't think they've realized it yet. We just put in an order for 15 systems with these monitors and they didn't come back countering anything about these.

My guess is that either the people that are putting in the official order just either don't care, or it may be just that big of a fluke. It still shows it as being available today... i can update again when we get them in ta let ya know how they are.

would've ordered it, but with tax and shipping, the total was $1700 and I don't think I'd be able to get $700 out of the workstation

EnderW said:
would've ordered it, but with tax and shipping, the total was $1700 and I don't think I'd be able to get $700 out of the workstation

Yep. That workstation is strangely overpriced for some reason.

The info below is direct form the source of the raw panels themselves at Samsung Engineering:

The 24" panels are NOT in stock as of today at Dell. They may be by mid month. The cost of the new 24" panels should be WAY below the cost of the 243T especially the Dell ones, but there is obviously a mistake on the Dell site. But then again pre ordering one of these systems may just get you one and then whether they honor it or not is the question. You may end up with a 20" switch. The Samsung models will be out after the Dells and they may not be quite as inexpensive.

The specs on the "raw" panels are as follows:
Up to 1000 Contrast Ratio
Up to 500 nit brightness
16ms response time
8ms response time for grey to grey

They also said that they are able to correct dead pixels in the fab now, so there should be very few if any.

Nuf said, who doesn't want one. :D

Sorry if this has been confirmed by reliable sources before, but the big IF is still whether the Dell is gonna use those new 24" samsung lcd panels. Ofcourse everybody is already foaming at the mouth for these nice lcd's to come out but I've never read from samsung or dell that those panels will be used in the 2405. If its actually true and i'm wrong plz tell me cause i want one! Been waiting for months to get a good widescreen monitor and with the specs mentioned before its a dream.

mort said:
Sorry if this has been confirmed by reliable sources before, but the big IF is still whether the Dell is gonna use those new 24" samsung lcd panels. Ofcourse everybody is already foaming at the mouth for these nice lcd's to come out but I've never read from samsung or dell that those panels will be used in the 2405. If its actually true and i'm wrong plz tell me cause i want one! Been waiting for months to get a good widescreen monitor and with the specs mentioned before its a dream.

I have confirmation from Samsung. They were sort of surprised that the info about the Dell had leaked out and already had the same model # that dell is using. again, I am speaking to the folks at Samsung that make the "raw" panels for them, not the Samsung monitor devision. Two different things alltogether.

Well, not having dead pixels to worry about is a major plus in considering buying a new LCD, but what kind of price are we looking at?

Also, was anything mentioned about back-lighting issues...maybe the Samsung team has found a way to eliminate bleeding?

phas3d

They didn't mention about the backlighting, but I recall that the new process was entirely different. The only thing they said about price is that the new panels are far less expensive than the ones used in 243T. It is up to Dell and Samsung to set the new prices though. He did indicate that the price of the 243T would have to coem way down once these ship. I'm sure Samsung will want to clear old stock.

grdh20 said:
The specs on the "raw" panels are as follows:
Up to 1000 Contrast Ratio
Up to 500 nit brightness
16ms response time
8ms response time for grey to grey

Nuf said, who doesn't want one. :D

hotda*n!! question is can I resist buying when it arrives or can I wait for the 25% coupon?

Sorry, my jaw just dropped from the info. :D

All I can say at this point is: "SWEET!" if true. Heck, I might even go for the Samsung one if Dell still has problems on the new screens. Hope they have a good frame to match the incredible panel.

Keep in mind that Dell and Samsung Monitors may choose not to list the specs as high as what you see above, but that indeed the panels are capable and spec'ed by Samsung at these newest ratings which have not been updated on the Samsung website yet.

Here's to waiting a month for a kickass new monitor. :)

My 19" Sony Trinitron is starting to go after 5 years and the timing on this couldn't be better for me.

mort said:
I still think its gonna be around 1800-2000$ - or for me 1500+ euro.

If you can buy the 243t right now for $1,700, I'd imagine this would be cheaper according to what's been said...'

Edit: and throw in Dell's coupons...

Well I would hope we could aquire it with some coupons for under a grand. That would be VERY nice.

Damn this thread, every time it gets bumped up I keep hoping someone's posted saying this thing is out.... :mad: :mad: ;)

For what it's worth I think this monitor'll come in under $1,400 prior to Dell's coupon-o-rama.

i dont wanna see another bump until somebody has one of these in their hands!

grdh20 said:
They also said that they are able to correct dead pixels in the fab now, so there should be very few if any.

But how can Samsung correct faulty pixels ? :eek:
Any kind of hotfix replacement technology ?
Does the zero-faulty pixels garanty will remain ?

Any ideas anyone ?

Cheers,
Olivier Martyn.

Olivier M. said:
But how can Samsung correct faulty pixels ? :eek:
Any kind of hotfix replacement technology ?
Does the zero-faulty pixels garanty will remain ?

Any ideas anyone ?

Cheers,
Olivier Martyn.

I don't think they guaranty zero dead pixels, they just told me that the ones they catch can now be corrected in the glass factory.

Back