Dell 2405FPW 24" inch on the way?????

corrently most of dell's panel are the lg's.

but omg, i can not wait for the 2405fpw...drools...what do you think the price will be??? hopefully it's a bargain like the 2005fpw.

iamtherat said:
corrently most of dell's panel are the lg's.

but omg, i can not wait for the 2405fpw...drools...what do you think the price will be??? hopefully it's a bargain like the 2005fpw.

they have a good mix of samsung and LG.

the price is gonna be big of course.... though the 2005 may be a 'bargain', the quality of the product itself is more of a 'barloss'.

so if Dell's monitors are all LG's, why aren't we buying LG monitors?? Surely LG could sell them cheaper...

zan780 said:
I play Half Life-2 horizontally spanned across dual Dell 2001FPs @ 3200x1200 resolution with a 6800 Ultra @ 450/1.2 and its shockingly smooth and very playable. I would think 1920x1200 would run fine on any higher-end chip with a 6800GT or Ultra.

didn't know you could split cames across 2 monitors - how do you do this?

If you have a 6800 series card do this:

1) Enable horizontal spanning across your monitors, so you get a virtual monitor of 3200x1200 resolution. Basically you go to the display properties settings tab, click advanced, go to the 6800 series tab, click "nView Display Settings" and set "nView Display Mode" to "Horizontal Span"

2) Set half-life 2 to 16:9 ratio and then select "3200x1200" resolution from the resolution drop down box.

It may work on other cards but I cannot say for sure.

This is what is looks like:

How can you aim anything if the center of the view is in the middle? :rolleyes:

looks too weird...not worth the effort.

just wait for the 24" incher..../*goes back and dreams about the 2405fpw*/

mutthead21 said:
so if Dell's monitors are all LG's, why aren't we buying LG monitors?? Surely LG could sell them cheaper...

apparantly not...

lol, i never knew of this: "Sorry! The administrator has specified that users can only post one message every 33 seconds."

Sneak said:
I Have heard about some of the issues with the 2005 fpw. Mostly backlight bleeding. Curious, only hear about the ones with trouble. I wonder how many bad ones there are. And how many good ones there are we never hear about, Supposedly the 2001 FW was widely appreciated from buyers. Dell does have a pretty good return policy though. Reguardless, I am holding out to check out the specs and whathaveyou on this Dell monitor. You never know. Might be the ticket/

I have a Dell 19 inch CRT that is pushing 6 to 7 years old and it still works well. I believe it is a Samsung as well. Samsung makes good stuff. Will see what electronics and specs Dell has on this monitor. Am hanging loose for this one. Can always order an HP L2335. And almost did til I heard this news. The HP seems to stand out for me in the current pack of 23 inch Widescreens.

Hang loose Dave if you read this! :) Ya never know.

I ran a poll awhile back and around half were bad in some way. I own two after ordering 3 at different times. One perfect, one near perfect, one realy bad. Its a fabulous monitor for 500 bucks. The 24 will most likely be Samsung and if its anything like the Samsungs I have owned and do own, there will be a level of quality that is unsurpassed.

jacuzz1 said:
I ran a poll awhile back and around half were bad in some way. I own two after ordering 3 at different times. One perfect, one near perfect, one realy bad. Its a fabulous monitor for 500 bucks. The 24 will most likely be Samsung and if its anything like the Samsungs I have owned and do own, there will be a level of quality that is unsurpassed.

IIRC, Samsung is the only LCD manufacturer who is/will be making a 24" panel, so i guess it kinda has to be Samsung.

TSS Modder said:
IIRC, Samsung is the only LCD manufacturer who is/will be making a 24" panel, so i guess it kinda has to be Samsung.

I would agree with that. I have not heard of anyone else making a 24 inch panel other than Samsung. That would be good news more than likely . ;)

Does anyone think the larger .270 pixel size on the Samsung vs the .258 on the LG Philips 23 inch panels could make anything videowise more grainy? Is not really all that much differece there actually.

Wonder if this thing will get introduced in conjunction with CES? That would mean real soon.

Prices are supposed to come way down this year on LCD and plasmas. I really think next christmas LCDs like the 2405fp are going to be relatively cheap and THE present to get.

phas3d

atlwriter said:
I hope we don't hafta wait until X-Mas 2005 for the 2405FPW!

We better not be! I canceled my 2005fpw because I heard of the rumors of this 24".

I don't see why.

If the 2405 came out tommorow it no doubt will cost well over $1000 dollars and you can get a 2005 for $500. I would easily opt for 2 2005s over a 24" monitor.

I gotta have WUXGA on my desktop LCD, so the 2405 is the one for me. I'll wait until some reviews come in and then look for some Dell coupons before buying my 2405.

I am currently using a Samsung 243T for gaming. Let me tell you, widescreen gaming on a 24" screen is awesome. I have found a way to run nearly every game I own at 1920 X 1200. You need a good system to do it but I am having good luck with my 9800 Ultra. Check here and here for a lot of good info about widescreen gaming. It is amazing how many games work by just a change to the .ini file and how many work right out of the box.

I just checked prices on your Samsung 243T. Man, if the 2405FPW is that expensive (about $2400), I'll stick with my 2001FP or go with the HP L2335 23" WUXGA ($1500).

Christ, and I still feel like my 19" Sony HS94P is gigantic. People still say "Damn thats a big monitor" when they come into my room... 24" LCD must be rediculous.

-zac

atlwriter said:
I just checked prices on your Samsung 243T. Man, if the 2405FPW is that expensive (about $2400), I'll stick with my 2001FP or go with the HP L2335 23" WUXGA ($1500).

The 243t is $1899.00 at CompUSA in Austin, Texas right now. Is cheaper online. That is still pricey when the L2335 HP can be had in the 1500.00 range and some times lower and has better response.

I think Dell will be at least on the low end of the pricing there. And most likely and hopefully lower that the competition. Might even make a price war out of it. ;)

Just because it is a Samsung panel does not absolutely mean Samsung is making the whole monitor. Dell can just buy the panel and have someone else assemble the monitor to their specs. I guess they could assemble it in house if they want. But doubt they will, labor is cheaper elsewhere and other companies are more set up for it.

About a month away? Goody!!! :D :D :D

I don't s'pose the Dell guy gave you any specs on the monitor???

mister2cool said:
I was told by a Dell CSR that 2405FPW will be released in early Feb, no pricing info as of yet.

My Small Business rep said Late Feb Early March...

Mac

wonder how much cash I'd have to add to my dual VP171Bs to get this

Well if at $1299.. then maybe apply some 20% coupon and then apply a $40 off $500 or over coupon should be down to around $1000... hmz.. not bad for a 24" if that will be the case :) Hope that is true cuz I canceled my 2005FPW order because of this!

NauticaX said:
Well if at $1299.. then maybe apply some 20% coupon and then apply a $40 off $500 or over coupon should be down to around $1000... hmz.. not bad for a 24" if that will be the case :) Hope that is true cuz I canceled my 2005FPW order because of this!

if it was 1299 it would already be a sweet deal....i doubt it be that cheap though

Yeah, I've narrowed my choice to the 2405 or HP's L2335. If the 2405 is <$1500 and has <16ms, I'll give it a try.

My prediction was with stackable, non stackable discounts. You know, like the kinds they throw our way when new LCDs come out.

phas3d

I want to know the real final specs and features of the thing.Curiousity is Killing me! Every day I look for something on it. :cool:

That Samsung panel spec sheet says <16. It hasn't been confirmed for sure if this is the panel Dell will be using but I can't imagine it being anything else unless something exists that we don't know about.. And I wonder if <16 means it will be for sure less than 16 or for sure a max of 16. Could it be 12? That on a PVA panel would be pretty nice.

Not much trickling out on this thing yet. Not even vicious rumors HA! Wish Dell would toss us a tid bit.

Hope you guys are right on the price. Would be nice. For my money, the only thing Dell is competing with is the HP L2335.

if it gets the samsung panel which is likely don't bet on a price of $1000...rather $2000.
The samsung 24" widescreen panel is gonna be one of the best on the market and they'll probably want to translate that in $$$. If its gonna be $2000 I'll still get it ofcourse ;) .

mort said:
if it gets the samsung panel which is likely don't bet on a price of $1000...rather $2000.
The samsung 24" widescreen panel is gonna be one of the best on the market and they'll probably want to translate that in $$$. If its gonna be $2000 I'll still get it ofcourse ;) .
don't you remember when the 2001fp came out at $1000 and it was the cheapest 20 inch by like $300?

if the HP monitor is around $1500, I bet Dell will undercut them by at least a few hundred dollars and with things like 25% off coupons and FatCash, you should easily be able to get it for under $1000

now if only Dell hadn't started charging tax in my state :(

It's about the panels, since samsung just introduced the new panel in some other display with extra multimedia capabilities for 4999,- it seems highly unlikely that dell is gonna get the panel for around the 1000,- , even with coupons etc.
The big if is whether this panel is actually gonna be used in the dells.

mort said:
It's about the panels, since samsung just introduced the new panel in some other display with extra multimedia capabilities for 4999,- it seems highly unlikely that dell is gonna get the panel for around the 1000,- ,
You have to wonder why Samsung did that, because even at $5000 that multimedia panel is friggen expensive. I'll bet they're trying to work out manufacturing problems - by sticking the new panel in a product that few people will buy they can essentially hand-pick the best screens to put in it, charge an outrageous price and those few suckers won't be the wiser. Once the problems have been worked out they stick it in their flagship LCD monitor and (hopefully) the price'll come down.</talking out my ass>

Hmmm, 2000$, or even 1500$ for a 24" seems a tad much, considering the price drops in panels lately.

Got my cousin a 710t for 400$CDN, which is like 2.99$USD :D . Actually It'd be like 299$USD. That's an awesome price for a 17". Now consider the fact that some got their new 2005FPW for some 550$USD, and I'm willing to bet that Dell still takes in dough with all those discounts. now 24" is 4 fricking inches bigger but from what I've seen likely to be the next step (I don't recall seeing too many 22"/23", if any).

And whether or not they're expensive to make and all, when Dell calls in to order a bajillion of panels, you give them discounts, even for someone as big as Samsung.

I'd say 1500$ before coupons-o-rama from Dell, and that's coming from my conservative side. My main self believes in "1299.99$" as the magic number for this screen. And yeah, a part of me still believes in the "999.99$" fairy tale, because it's Dell and they can spit out insanely low prices. However, I think Dell will think twice before releasing 25-30% off of LCD monitors coupon codes anytime soon without some restrictions. I predict that 15% will be the most you Yanks will see for this monitor anytime soon, which is 15% better than what us Canucks will see.

But overall I'm as eager as anyone else about this currently non-official monitor. Hope the specs/details/images/goodies will be released soon.

Does anyone know if this will work being fed by a IBM Thinkpad X40 with integrated graphics via analog? I of course won't be running any 3D. Just email, web, office, photoshop, and maybe an occasional dvd. In the display properties I can select a 2048x1536...but of course have no monitor to test up to that resolution. Do you guys think the dvd playback would be acceptable?

Oh and if this is a definite no, what about the 20" widescreen Dell?

Thanks,
Curtis

Back