Dell 2405FPW 24" inch on the way?????

mumstead said:
I am currently using a Samsung 243T for gaming. Let me tell you, widescreen gaming on a 24" screen is awesome. I have found a way to run nearly every game I own at 1920 X 1200. You need a good system to do it but I am having good luck with my 9800 Ultra. Check here and here for a lot of good info about widescreen gaming. It is amazing how many games work by just a change to the .ini file and how many work right out of the box.

The 243T has a 25ms responsetime. You must be getting ghosting when gaming on this PVA screen; that's the whole reason Samsung readies his 16ms PVA 24" screens; the current 243T has a slow response time for gaming.

Or, instead of looking at the ratings and assuming it will ghost, you can read the reviews and realize most people don't see it on that screen. Samsung is usually conservative with their ratings, and a 25ms samsung panel will behave like several other '16ms' panels. Those 16ms panels with ghosting are still running much higher gray-gray response times.

Actually, from what I understand, Samsung just tells the truth, whereas everybody else deflates their times. Most 25ms screens are more like 40ms screens, so a true 25ms screen is good. We use them at work, and they are definately good enough to game on.

geez, every time someone responds to this thread I get happy thinking info on the 2405fpw has come out.

Has anyone heard anything about this sucka lately?

Database Freak,

I actually own the Sony P234 16ms 23" as well as the 243T. I also tried the Sony 19" that has a 12ms response (cant think of the model right now). I have compared the monitors side by side and there is very little difference in "ghosting" or "smearing" between all three. I did a side by side review here of the P234 and the 243T a month or so ago and explained why I chose the 243T as my primary gaming monitor.

mumstead: said:
I actually own the Sony P234 16ms 23" as well as the 243T. I also tried the Sony 19" that has a 12ms response (cant think of the model right now). I have compared the monitors side by side and there is very little difference in "ghosting" or "smearing" between all three. I did a side by side review here of the P234 and the 243T a month or so ago and explained why I chose the 243T as my primary gaming monitor.
I just read through the thread linked. That one inch difference between the Sony and Samsung actually is quite noticeable. Never would have thought the difference would be that apparent. The Samsung 243T is truly a work of art. Besides the 30" ACD, that's my choice for a new monitor.

phas3d said:
PREDICTION TIME!!!

Hmmm, I bet the 2405fpw will debut at $1299.

HAHAHA you wish.... i bet it will be some where around $1700-$2000. Samsung panels are pretty pricey even if dell sells it.

APOLLO said:
I just read through the thread linked. That one inch difference between the Sony and Samsung actually is quite noticeable. Never would have thought the difference would be that apparent. The Samsung 243T is truly a work of art. Besides the 30" ACD, that's my choice for a new monitor.

u must have more money than you know what to do with... you have 2 very expensive monitors there bub. And that 30" is a whopper in $$$$. How bout you buy me one while your at it :p

2405fpw2bs.jpg

Courtesy of Jswriter, courtesy of Neowin.

Krazy_Joe: said:
u must have more money than you know what to do with... you have 2 very expensive monitors there bub. And that 30" is a whopper in $$$$. How bout you buy me one while your at it :p
Well, I have neither yet. I'm looking into the ACD, but extremely limited video card choices and its high price make it prohibitive. I'm still using a 7-year old CRT to answer the financial question.

Krazy_Joe said:
HAHAHA you wish.... i bet it will be some where around $1700-$2000. Samsung panels are pretty pricey even if dell sells it.

Pay a $1000 more and you got the 30" ACD. Just walk in a Apple store nearby and see the 30" ACD next to a 23" ACD and you know which one you want to have; the 23" or 24" looks like a toy compared to the 30"!

Database Freak said:
Pay a $1000 more and you got the 30" ACD. Just walk in a Apple store nearby and see the 30" ACD next to a 23" ACD and you know which one you want to have; the 23" or 24" looks like a toy compared to the 30"!

1000 more plus the ultra-high-end video card you'll need to push that resolution.

I despise Apple products but went into an Apple store a week ago just to look and I was *completely* blown away by the 30" display. It would cost me my marriage to get one, but I'm still thinking about it. ;)

Yup, dat's it. I like the simple look, too. And, one of those 24" beauties is gonna look fantastic on my desk. :D

man the base looks odd supporting a screen that big...it looks cool on the smaller screen...

but in that pic, it just looks plain wimpy...a mismatch to the colossal beauty.

less ornamentation = less $$$.

Any word on the price tag for this thing??

who has the best deal on the 243T? ill have a nice check in two weeks and i really want this monitor!

atlwriter said:
Yeah, like dual 6800 Ultras...another $1000.

No, single 6800 videcard would work but it must be able to support dual-link DVI which most consumer videocards don't.

wake6830: said:
1000 more plus the ultra-high-end video card you'll need to push that resolution.
TehQuick: said:
No, single 6800 videcard would work but it must be able to support dual-link DVI which most consumer videocards don't.
Not necessarily. The reason I'm even considering it is because you can find one consumer-level card which could actually drive it. How does a bit over $300 sound? Not bad at all if you ask me.

Despite the growing number of 23"+ display choices, before buying any new monitor this year I'd wait for the 24" Dell and the upcoming 30" HP. I'd like to read how they all rate and see if a price war will result due to increased competition.

Hey, Nice pic. So this thing is actually real and not some nasty rumor. Ha! Each time I google the thing the list grows. Used to be one item returned which turned out to be this very thread. And now it goes to two pages.

I guess the specs and price on this monitor will soon trickle out. Can't wait to see them.

wake6830 said:
[ dell 2405fpw picture ]

Courtesy of Jswriter, courtesy of Neowin.

dude, where exactly at neowin did you find that picture?? is there a thread about it? :confused:

APOLLO said:
Not necessarily. The reason I'm even considering it is because you can find one consumer-level card which could actually drive it. How does a bit over $300 sound? Not bad at all if you ask me.

Despite the growing number of 23"+ display choices, before buying any new monitor this year I'd wait for the 24" Dell and the upcoming 30" HP. I'd like to read how they all rate and see if a price war will result due to increased competition.

Did u notice that I said "most"? Yes, there are some videocards which can emulate DDL but it's not guaranteed to work. And who in a sane mind would want to use 30" ACD with a VGA output?

APOLLO said:

Same situation here... I think a lot of people will be considering both
30in and the new 24in at the same time...
Bigger is always better (for LCD), but it has to justify the extra cost.
I'm also concerned that these 30in's spec (response & constrast)
aren't as good as the new 24in. There's probably no dvi-switch
for the 30in, and then I also haven't seen anyone using the 30in
with LCD arm yet...

Hopefully some site (or fellow users here) will do a side-by-side comparison when these are out .

EnderW said:
built in card reader? what a waste of money

Not at all, perhaps it can be used as a digital picture frame when your computer is off!!! And if you wall mount it, it could be sweet!!!

edliu512 said:
Not at all, perhaps it can be used as a digital picture frame when your computer is off!!! And if you wall mount it, it could be sweet!!!

whoa!

does anyone know what the specs for the dell 2405 will be? is it using the new generation panel or previous?

I bought the samsung 243t and returned it within days b/c of bad ghosting. I know other people say they don't see it (that's why I bought it) but man it was bad. for ex, this forum has a dark background. on the 243t, when I dragged the mouse across the browser, the white mouse pointer would blur and blend into the dark background. dragging windows around would blur the content inside. needless to say, games were unplayable.

no one knows. If u don't like samsung 24", u prolly won't like this one either, it's really subjective.

Cheval said:
hehe agreed.

You in Oklahoma?
yep

edliu512 said:
WOW!!!! a feauture I have no use for, but will get to pay extra for
YES!!!!!111eleventy

EnderW said:
WOW!!!! a feauture I have no use for, but will get to pay extra for
YES!!!!!111eleventy

Features like flash card slots are becoming standard on all displays. It's getting hard to find a TV that won't let you stick something in it. Welcome to the future.

APOLLO said:

Too bad that card sucks, and wouldnt get playable frames in most games.

Going with Dell's record of lower prices than their competitors, I am sure the flash reader is going to have a negligible impact on the overall price compared to the Samsung 24" which is a whopping 1700 dollars. With deals and coupons, the price will likely be sub 1500 in my opinion. I think that with the current influx of panels, LCD's are overpriced right now, instead of Dell's being underpriced.

We're getting some in at work here in a bit. I'll reply again once I've had a first hand look at them.

If you go to Dell's website, go to medium to large business, and select the Precision Workstations:

If you go the 370 route, and use the desktop version, you can upgrade their 'free' monitor to the 24" for only $280. This may be a SHORT time deal or a HUGE fluke in their system but the normal 20" upgrade is $580. This is part of the reason we're getting them in. I spec'ed out a LOW end system and you can get a 2.8ghz, w/512mb and a 40gb hd with that monitor for about $1600 before taxes. Now granted, if you don't want another computer, it's not worth it, but even as a crappy side box, it may be worth looking into.

Dell 24 inch UltraSharp™ 2005FP Widescreen, adjustable stand, VGA/DVI [add $280]

hm, interesting

Back