Dell 2408WFP Now Available

Just put my order in.. can't wait to get this badboy! Pics to follow later this week (hopefully on Friday)

However, how did yours ship already? Mine says estimated ship date is 12/10/08. Is that because I ordered late at night and its just a generic estimate? I don't want to wait that long for a monitor.

Did it ship sooner or still waiting?
I just ordered one and the est. ship date was 12/18/08.

I ordered one yesterday and it said 12/8/2008 for the ship date

Shipping Method: 3-5 Business Days
Shipped Date: 12/8/2008
Est. Delivery Date: 12/11/2008-12/15/200

When I check today, the order status changed to shipped.
That's more like I was expecting.
Thanks for the response rei.

Wowowow

I ordered my monitor on Monday around 5:00PM eastern

It was just dropped off at my doorstep today (Wednesday). Not too bad for free 3-5 day shipping!!!

Now I have to drive back home and pick this up.

I'm so excited!

56k = death

Here's some pics of the new display :D

dellimage002.jpg

dellimage003.jpg

dellimage004.jpg

dellimage005.jpg

dellimage006.jpg

dellimage007.jpg

dellimage009.jpg

dellimage010.jpg

dellimage011.jpg

dellimage018.jpg

dellimage025.jpg

dellimage032.jpg

Do you guys think this display suffers from backlight bleed? Just as an FYI - it's more noticeable in the pics than in person.

dellimage033.jpg

dellimage034.jpg

dellimage035.jpg

dellimage036.jpg

Great... the picture quality is awesome and top notch... we're aware of this...

I just want to know... has the input lag been fixed?

Looks like there is noticeable ghosting in the 3rd and 4th pictures. The 3rd picture could just be DVD motion blur, though.

Can someone recommend a quiet reasonably priced AGP card for this monitor. I'm thinking of buying this monitor but I don't think my radeon 9600 is capable of displaying WUXGA. I don't game.

Hey guys,

I am thinking of returning the monitor to Dell. I don't know what it is, but I'm just not sure I like this monitor too much.

I was thinking of possibly upgrading to a 2707WFP or a 3007WFP-HC. Any thoughts on those 2 displays as compared to a Dell 2408WFP?

Got my replacement.. and the colors are extremely jacked up. :mad:

The backlight keeps fading in and out

I'm torn whether to go for the 2408WFP with the excellent imput options or the 2407WFP that has less imput options (though it has composite which should be enough for an Xbox 360) as well as the usual stuff.

The main thing that concerns me seems to be what everyone else is complaining about - the imput lag, as well as those who apparently liked the monitor initially but have decided to send it back...unsettling for me. :(

I'll be coming from an old E207WFP which is obviously TN, so I'm new to this whole 8-bit color and PVA monitors, so I'm not exactly sure what to expect, but I'm looking from a monitor upgrade at least 24", 1920 x 1200 WUXGA, and something not TN as I want to experience something with better color quality and depth that TN doesn't seem to offer...on paper, at least. I don't game too much but the imput lag is making me hesitant to order an 2408WFP right now from Dell Outlet...does the 2407WFP have much of the issues that the 2408WFP seems to have in terms of color correctness and backlighting?

Also, the 2407WFP seems to be infamous for panel lottery...could I be reasonably confident that the panel I'm getting if I order one from Dell Outlet right now wouldn't be TN? That's probably the main reason why the 2407WFP costs so much more than a regular 247FP or a 248FP, but I just want to be sure.

So, I guess the TLDR is this: should I get a 2407WFP or a 2408WFP?

I'm torn whether to go for the 2408WFP with the excellent imput options or the 2407WFP that has less imput options (though it has composite which should be enough for an Xbox 360) as well as the usual stuff.

The main thing that concerns me seems to be what everyone else is complaining about - the imput lag, as well as those who apparently liked the monitor initially but have decided to send it back...unsettling for me. :(

I'll be coming from an old E207WFP which is obviously TN, so I'm new to this whole 8-bit color and PVA monitors, so I'm not exactly sure what to expect, but I'm looking from a monitor upgrade at least 24", 1920 x 1200 WUXGA, and something not TN as I want to experience something with better color quality and depth that TN doesn't seem to offer...on paper, at least. I don't game too much but the imput lag is making me hesitant to order an 2408WFP right now from Dell Outlet...does the 2407WFP have much of the issues that the 2408WFP seems to have in terms of color correctness and backlighting?

Also, the 2407WFP seems to be infamous for panel lottery...could I be reasonably confident that the panel I'm getting if I order one from Dell Outlet right now wouldn't be TN? That's probably the main reason why the 2407WFP costs so much more than a regular 247FP or a 248FP, but I just want to be sure.

Any opinions anyone? :(

Hey rei1574,

Could you get me a link to that wallpaper you're using? I love the city one especially.

Thanks!

http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper_beta/details/1740/rockefeller's_view.html

Only you can know the answer to this question, and it mostly depends on your uses and budget.

For Xbox 360 composite will not look great, especially up close, but I've heard that VGA works on the 2407WFP fairly well at 1920x1080, and component looks dark and washed out.

The 2407WFP is standard gamut which means colors will be less over saturated and garish especially with greens and reds. The 2407WFP wasn't known for ever being a TN. The Dell outlet models will most likely be Samsung S-PVA panels.

You will probably mostly notice the input lag on the 2408WFP simply because you are coming from a fast TN panel with very low lag. The Rev A01 and later have improved the input lag, but it's still probably not as low as the 2407WFP (non-HC) model.. But who knows, you may notice even the 2407WFP lag... Everyone is different in that regard. Some notice it off the bat, some don't.

If I were you, I'd also look at Dell community forums to formulate an opinion on the 2408wfp and see what people are complaining about. There are complaints about input lag, but there are also complaints about panel quality, uniformity, and other issues where the left side is brighter than the right.

http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper_beta/details/1740/rockefeller's_view.html

Only you can know the answer to this question, and it mostly depends on your uses and budget.

For Xbox 360 composite will not look great, especially up close, but I've heard that VGA works on the 2407WFP fairly well at 1920x1080, and component looks dark and washed out.

The 2407WFP is standard gamut which means colors will be less over saturated and garish especially with greens and reds. The 2407WFP wasn't known for ever being a TN. The Dell outlet models will most likely be Samsung S-PVA panels.

You will probably mostly notice the input lag on the 2408WFP simply because you are coming from a fast TN panel with very low lag. The Rev A01 and later have improved the input lag, but it's still probably not as low as the 2407WFP (non-HC) model.. But who knows, you may notice even the 2407WFP lag... Everyone is different in that regard. Some notice it off the bat, some don't.

If I were you, I'd also look at Dell community forums to formulate an opinion on the 2408wfp and see what people are complaining about. There are complaints about input lag, but there are also complaints about panel quality, uniformity, and other issues where the left side is brighter than the right.

Thanks for the response...I've also been wondering about the terms of warranty service for monitors purchased from Dell Outlet...do they still have the 21 day satisfaction guarantee for Outlet-purchased monitors? Also, could I send back the monitor if I find that it's just not for me as well?

I appreciate your response, it was really helpful. :)

I have had my 2 2408wfp's running on a macpro for about 2 hours when I noticed a single horizontal white line across one of the monitors. It appears to be there on all inputs, and when I disconnect the dvi cable it is still there. Ugghh.. I know I am going to have to get a replacement but after 2 hours ? I looked throught the forums but found nothing. Has anybody had this happen ?

Alright, I just pulled the trigger on the 2407WFP...didn't want to deal with what seems like great variation in build and panel quality, as well as imput lag and oversaturated colors, so I stuck with the tried-and-true 2407WFP that everyone seems to know and love. :)

anyone has a 2408 a01? any input on the input lag? is the issue gone already or not? thanks as i am comparing between the hp lp2475w

Just got this baby in the mail about 5 days ago. So far everything seems to be fine. This is my first LCD coming from an SGI 21" Trinithon CRT. Colors are more vivid and screen space is awesome. Just one thing lagggggggggggggggg. I do a lot of design so this thing has met those standards. However i game often to take the edge off and the lag has shot my gameplay. I read somewhere though that if use a DVI-HDMI cable or adapter the lag is less. I have not tested this so i cannot say.

Edit: Looking into returning the 2408 and getting 2209WA

Just got this baby in the mail about 5 days ago. So far everything seems to be fine. This is my first LCD coming from an SGI 21" Trinithon CRT. Colors are more vivid and screen space is awesome. Just one thing lagggggggggggggggg. I do a lot of design so this thing has met those standards. However i game often to take the edge off and the lag has shot my gameplay. I read somewhere though that if use a DVI-HDMI cable or adapter the lag is less. I have not tested this so i cannot say.

Edit: Looking into returning the 2408 and getting 2209WA

What rev did you get, was it rev A01?

I currently have the 2407WFP-HC and I like it, but I really would love to have a duel setup. I definitely want a superior model to the 2407, but all the stories about the lagg making me think twice, since I play Counter Strike, which is a fast FPS game. I will be using HDMI to DVI cable so hopefully the lag will be equal to the 2407 since I use DVI to DVI for the 2407.

What you guys think? Should I go for the 2408? It would be nice to have 2 similar looking monitors.

Not over the 2490WUXI or 24WMGX3 from NEC, nor the HP LP2475W. Can't comment on the Hazros as they don't sell them in Canada.

Who in Canada sells the 24WMGX3? Just curious cause I crossed that one off my "possible purchases, research further" list when I couldn't find anybody that carried it, it's a pretty new monitor

I'm thinking about purchasing this monitor. From what I read, it seems that the Rev. A01 fixed most of the problems and greatly improved the input lag. How does this monitor overall perform with consoles? Specifically the Xbox 360 and PS3 via HDMI. I think I'll be using it mainly for console gaming and some PC use later on when I build a new rig. Thanks.

Hello,

I work a lot in Photoshop and I'm planning on buying a new monitor and it is crucial that the monitor displays gradients properly.

There is a test here where you can check if your monitor suffers from color banding:
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gradient.php

I was hoping maybe you guys could help me out?, see how many suffers from it, and if the latest revisions fixes this problem.

Thanks,

P

There is a test here where you can check if your monitor suffers from color banding:
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gradient.php

I was hoping maybe you guys could help me out?, see how many suffers from it, and if the latest revisions fixes this problem.

Hey, I just got my 2408 today. It is Rev A02. I got it to set it up next to a 2407 a04.

The gradients look really good on the white to gray part, but in the darker parts you can see some slight banding.

Last edited:
Rev A02, those seem pretty new. If you google 2408WFP Rev A02 you get some ebay site s and a lot of chinese sites with some showing photos of the sticker on the back of the monitor. ive yet to see a photo with BOTH the name of the monitor model AND the revision number. :) Anyone with a A02 care to take a pic? psr? :)

I havent seen any europeeing sites talking about them so maybe there only producing them in usa and asia at the moment? (im from europe btw)

it is great to hear however that your monitor doesnt suffer from color banding, psr!

it would be great to see some kind of changelog for this monitor. i guess thats confidential stuff!?

Thanks,

P

cool, thanks for taking the time to take those pictures! :)

I think I will take my chances and place an order. I spoke to a dell rep a couple of days ago, explained to him about th ebanding issues etc, how this would affect my work etc, and he told me if I'm not satisfied with the product I can send it back, no questions asked. So I think that's what I'm going to do.

At least this time it's not lottery regarding panel type like it was with the 2007WFP!

Thanks again,

P

what are the recomended color settings that people are using? I feel like some of my pictures dont look right, or maybe it is my laptop monitor next to it but it seems like my laptop looks more real...

cool, thanks for taking the time to take those pictures! :)

I think I will take my chances and place an order. I spoke to a dell rep a couple of days ago, explained to him about th ebanding issues etc, how this would affect my work etc, and he told me if I'm not satisfied with the product I can send it back, no questions asked. So I think that's what I'm going to do.

At least this time it's not lottery regarding panel type like it was with the 2007WFP!

Thanks again,

P

No problem Paulo, any time. Did you order you monitor? If so, how is do you like it!?

what are the recomended color settings that people are using? I feel like some of my pictures dont look right, or maybe it is my laptop monitor next to it but it seems like my laptop looks more real...

Not sure but by default I found the colors to be too saturated. I'm also tempted to say that your laptop colors are possibly off but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt considering you're on this forum. Personally, I have a inspiron 9300 and that monitor's color temp is way too cool and it's missing red.

I wish I could get this monitor to match my 2407 exactly. Putting it in sRGB mode (and pumping saturation up via ATI drivers) works okay but my pinks/magenta type colors = very muted and dark. Putting it back into the desktop preset fixes that. My main monitor is still the 2407 so until it gets an upgraded (probably when I go to order another 24"), the 2408 is staying in sRGB mode.

Back