Dell U2410

Lostman, you can get it direct from dell for sub 500, or online at pc buyit for 470. Deel list prices are always obsurd.

ok more pics - All taken in a pitch black room, as its midnight in the uk :) only light was my camera screen.
I took lots of shots, but settled on a couple of black ones with normal viewing angles, and an extreme angle one 45 degree + from above. Btw all in sRGB mode.
Pictures taken 1.5' or so away

Black
Black
Acute Angle Black
White
White
Green
Blue
Red

Btw used dead pixel buddy

Red picture looks orange, but looks fine when you use your own eyes, probably a limit of my cheap ass camera.

Thanks again for pics :)

It looks like the backlight bleeding is very low and good homogeneity of the backlight according to ur pics. Do u see any pink tint/hue?.

I think around $500. I would do it. $700..... NOT....

Yeah. At that price I assume Dell is in cahoots with HP and trying to sell more HP monitors. Or maybe upsell people to a 27" because nobody's paying $700 for it.

Got this yesterday and I'm quite happy with it.

I had a Benq G2400WD before this and to be frank the Benq was just garbage compared to this. Of course it's TN vs H-IPS and the Dell is almost twice the price (here) but personally I found the Benq unusable for anything because the colors were always off no matter how I sat/leaned, so I only had it for a few days before switching back to my old 19" CRT...

No dead pixels, no noise, no backlight bleed. I get 10-30ms input lag in standard-mode. Overall I'm quite satisfied and I might keep this and finally replace my CRT.

Was really looking at the 2490WUXi first but it's about double the price in my part of the world. :C

Got this yesterday and I'm quite happy with it.

I had a Benq G2400WD before this and to be frank the Benq was just garbage compared to this. Of course it's TN vs H-IPS and the Dell is almost twice the price (here) but personally I found the Benq unusable for anything because the colors were always off no matter how I sat/leaned, so I only had it for a few days before switching back to my old 19" CRT...

No dead pixels, no noise, no backlight bleed. I get 10-30ms input lag in standard-mode. Overall I'm quite satisfied and I might keep this and finally replace my CRT.

Was really looking at the 2490WUXi first but it's about double the price in my part of the world. :C

Do you find the colors oversaturated when using normal mode? Or do you like the colors?

I have read that the input lag is 14 ms(0-30ms) in normal mode and 30ms(20-34) in sRGB. If the colors are nice in normal mode this should be a great monitor.

Hard to tell because of the camera, but it doesn't seem to do well in uniformity. Also I really hope that's not a green-pink gradient on the white and black screens.

Looks like the camera to me. The left edge where it looks like the screen brightness drops is also where there is the most visible camera lens distortion.

And again ALL panels will have a varying degree of uniformity. Some will find a slight left to right tint, some a top to bottom tint, some will say theirs are perfect because the uniformity problem on theirs is below the threshold of their awareness. It's an inherent problem with LCD technology.

Do you find the colors oversaturated when using normal mode? Or do you like the colors?

I have read that the input lag is 14 ms(0-30ms) in normal mode and 30ms(20-34) in sRGB. If the colors are nice in normal mode this should be a great monitor.

The colors are a bit saturated in the "standard" mode yes, but I find it quite nice. Makes the real world look a bit dull and grey though. :)

I ran the input lag test at tft.vanity.dk again with the monitor in sRGB and got at most 30ms lag and actually a difference of 0ms once. Which I suppose mean I wasn't thorough enough when I did the standard mode test since I didn't get any identical times there. Was mostly 10 or 20 though.

For those who have this monitor already, can you please post some overall pics. thx

The 2408wfp is currently ~460 without coupons or any special deal. This is the replacement. I don't see it going more than $150 over that even when brand new. $600 is not outrageous for this monitors abilities, when just released. They will sell all the stock they have, probably. Once supply / demand are in equilibrium, the price will drop.

Maybe not this year, but I think by 2010 this monitor may stand the chance of reaching below $500 MSRP if there's enough volume. Here's to hoping though.

Upon further examination, turns out my copy has a bit of, uh, non-uniformity going on. I can't see it with red, blue, orange, lime-green or whatever, but gray made it obvious. It's quite exaggerated in this image but it's easily noticable, and to be fair, pretty annoying. It's like the left edge and bottom is slightly darker.
Hope it's only just this one monitor...

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/3695/img1471light.jpg

(sorry for the blur)

I don't get why it's only gray that shows it though... an orange background looks perfectly even.

Anyone else noticed anything similar?

This inhomogeneity is not native. Sometimes u may have dark left side, sometimes right, sometimes bottom. Looks like it comes from the different assembling factory. I have 3 2408wfp REV 02 and all of them have NON-identical these kinda homogeneity issue of the backlight. I dont think that we can expect a perfect homogeneous backlight from CCFL unless monitor comes with special function to reduce the effect.

I've been this uniformity issue on the 2209WA as well, only with that one it was more pronounced. RMA'ed it until I got a good display.

You really killed my buzz on this monitor now...sounds like Dell 'quality' might have struck again.

You really killed my buzz on this monitor now...sounds like Dell 'quality' might have struck again.

Not really. It's LG's quality control that sucks. And even if it didn't, there is not a single panel out there with perfect uniformity.

Not really. It's LG's quality control that sucks. And even if it didn't, there is not a single panel out there with perfect uniformity.

True, but you can only stand so much. Hopefully this will be below my tolerance threshold. One of my 2209WA monitors was certainly above it.

Well, mine comes tomorrow. Have been waiting 2 weeks now. First order got canceled because the adress on the order didn't match the adress of the credit card. xD

I like the fact that you get lower input lag with game-mode. Hope it doesn't come with unifromity issues. Is it possible the that the panel of U2410 is eH-IPS, just like with NEC 2490wuxi2?

Well, mine comes tomorrow. Have been waiting 2 weeks now. First order got canceled because the adress on the order didn't match the adress of the credit card. xD

I like the fact that you get lower input lag with game-mode. Hope it doesn't come with unifromity issues. Is it possible the that the panel of U2410 is eH-IPS, just like with NEC 2490wuxi2?

What is the input lag with 'game mode' activated? Any drop in picture quality using that mode?

A friend of mine called Dell yesterday about the U2410. She actually got a quoted from a sales rep for $749, before the guy said that hecouldn't actually take any orders yet. So their you have it. Looks like it will be $749. So you add tax and shipping and its say $800 at least. Way way to expensive....but then again this sales rep might not even know what he's talking about. Guess will have to wait a bit more before we get 100% confirmation on the price....

Heck, might as well buy the U3010 instead.if that's the case. Hehe.

It has the exact same panel as the HP LP2475W if you were wondering. I suppose the difference is in the electronics, LUT, modes, etc.

Backlight uniformity has nothing to do with the panel type. It comes from non-identical backlight lamps and their non identical driver circuits.

I'd like to buy this monitor and I would like to know how is the sRGB profile handling "normal" colors? The only thing I don't like about this monitor is the wide gamut but I read in a review the sRGB profile in monitor is working kind of well.

If anybody has this monitor, please let me know how is the sRGB mode...

Can I connect from a GFX card HDMI -> HDMI to this montior and the quality is the same as DVI - DVI?

I don't know how alarming it is but the top three rows of boxes on this page gets a bit grainy in sRGB mode. They look perfectly smooth in standard mode. I don't pretend to know why.

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php

Only issue I've noticed with the sRGB mode. Lag appears to be similar (at least for me).

Can you tell me how bad is looking in browser and everyday work using standard mode?

Is sRGB mode getting you the standard colours you used to get with non wide gamut monitor?

Since the monitor is at 180 cd/m2 from the factory, how dark can it go if you lower the brightness to zero?

Can anyone confirm that the U2410's HDMI port can take HDCP content? It should, shouldn't it? Yet all the specs on retailers only single out the DVI port as being HDCP-compatible.

Dell's description on their own website is a little vague. On the one hand, it states:

Enhance sound and picture quality with HDMI, Display Port and DVI-D digital connector with high-bandwidth Digital Copy Protection (HDCP) Ready.

...and on the other hand, in their "tech specs":

Video Graphics Array (VGA)
Digital Visual Interface - Digital (DVI-D) with HDCP
DisplayPort(DP)
Component
Composite
High Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI)

The reason for all this is that I'd like to hook up a PS3 via HDMI.

Thanks in advance.

Fast report.

First of all, the screen seems to handle sRGB exellent. The difference in flesh tones between Adobe RGB and sRGB presets is like night and day! Color saturation is just like that of my sRGB TN-monitor, but puts my TN-monitor to shame PQ-wise. The picture of U2410 is crystal clear, vibrant and very appealing, as expected from a H-IPS monitor.

I have done some input lag testing with my mobile phone using a function of 120fps capture recorded into a 30fps video (taking pictures with my mobile phone was hopeless). I used this program in clone mode (VSYNC on) with my Iiyama TN-monitor, which is supposed to be a 0ms input lag monitor. My results showed 1.5 frames (~23ms) of input lag in sRGB preset, and about 0.5 frames (~8ms) in Game mode. Testresults may be wrong here, since i definetely could feel the mouse lag difference between the two presets, suggesting the lag difference is actually more than just one frame.

So to the bad stuff. White glow... WOW, i did not know this issue was that bad! People talk about off-angle white glow, but there is white glow visible looking right in front of the screen! And i have good reasen to think that this is not a uniformity issue. Looking straight at screen with a black background, you can see a white glow coming from all sides. Looking slightly from above, the glow is stronger in the lower sides of the screen, while the upper part is allmost free from glow. Doing the oppsite, looking slightly below the screen, makes the top sides of screen glow strong, with the lower sides allmost free from glow. This is clearly not a uniformity issue. I will post pictures later, showing what i just explained, then maybe someone else with the same monitor or HP 2475 can say if they
experience the same. I really hope there is something wrong with my screen, but i highly doubt it. It's just a sad fact of the LCD-technology.

It is now clear to me how important it is to have an A-TW polarizer like that in the NEC 2490wuxi. It is very valueable and something every monitor should have. My tips to people looking for a good 24" IPS; if you don't care about input lag, get the 2490wuxi(1). If you want the best of both worlds, great PQ and low input lag, get the U2410. :)

Last edited:
Can you notice the white glow under all kinds of images/video or just particular ones?

Can you notice the white glow under all kinds of images/video or just particular ones?

No, it's very hard to notice on full colored backgrounds or full white background. The white glow is only annoying when the background is black.

My U2410 seems perfectly uniform, so i guess i should be happy. The severity of the white glow is dissapointing though. :( Don't get me wrong, it's a great screen and im very happy with it.

I guess Hardforum doesn't flatter your lcd then, what with it having lots of black on it. What about 16:9 content, do vertical bars show white glow on them?

yeah, it's just the nature of the beast. all lcds i've seen have a bit of white glow. PVA monitors are supposed to be better at this, right? my 22" SPVA monitor is pretty good as far as the glowing is concerned. i haven't seen any better in person yet.

I guess Hardforum doesn't flatter your lcd then, what with it having lots of black on it. What about 16:9 content, do vertical bars show white glow on them?

Yes, it's very noticeable with both vertical and horizontal black bars, watching movies.

So apart from the White glow, you are happy with the monitor. I have 8 year old Dell 2001FP and I don't see any white glow :-( But I have burn in effect on all 3 of the LCD's I have (I know LCD should not have burn in effect but this model does), and I wanted to replace them.

digitalversus published the face-off for the U2410 !!

http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=88&mo1=559&p1=6194&ma2=88&mo2=342&p2=3161&ph=1

They announced that the complete review is coming soon

Check out the gamut page. If the picture is real and they took it with sRGB mode on, then this monitor definetly has 100% functional sRGB mode! Sweet!

Black depth is about same as LP2475w, around 0.18 and Contrast around 700. Good results for IPS panel. Input lag is about same aswell, so I guess we have a possible LP2475w killer here.

Hm, isn't there an input switch for fast changing of inputs? A user review at Whirlpool says he has to go over the menu :-( Can anybody confirm this?

On the other hand...

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1256560&p=15#r294
Dell’s factory colour was pretty bad, everything had a noticeable green tint

Huh?!

Every monitor is indivdiually calibrated. Dell probably didn't do a good enough job on his. Mine is perfect, with no deltaE readings over 2. ;) Guess i have been lucky, since Dell promises no less than an average of less than 5 deltaE.

Hm, isn't there an input switch for fast changing of inputs? A user review at Whirlpool says he has to go over the menu :-( Can anybody confirm this?

Yes, you have to go into menu.

So switching between inputs is kind of... awkward or can be trained to do well?

Dont have to go into the full menu, as you can create shortcuts for the keys.

So basically to change input , press bottom button, press 3rd button, then choose input.

Though quick change would be nice

Can anyone comment on how well the zoom feature works? I'm one of those crazy people that would rather crop 16:9 HD tv and 1:85 ratio DVD movies than have black bars on the top and bottom.
Sure I'm technically seeing less image but I'm using 100% of the tv screen (strange logic, I know). I don't do this with consoles though, they usually have hud info that goes all the way to the edge of the screen.

Hmm, I noticed in the U2410 manual that the sRGB preset available for every input except component/composite. But the component/composite does have a saturation slider so I guess you can tone down the
colors a bit. Looks like Dell covered every base here, except for the A-TW polarizer I guess.

Last edited:
I'd rather use software to deal with that, much more convenient. Both VLC and MPC can do that very easily.

Back