Dell U2711

This is what I was considering when I spoke earlier. The other pictures seem to consistently show this change in temperature.

Yah; it looks like some green tint on the far right, but it is hard to tell, because the big window behind the display is throwing ambient light all over the place.

It looks like dirty AG on the left too.

Dave

From my experience, it is wise to wait until the first (or even second) revision before buying a Dell monitor.
Rev 00 are commonly plagued with issues such as banding, fixed scaling, dark ghosting, uniformity, text sharpness, etc.
Fortunately, most issues are generally fixed with the release of newer firmwares (except dark ghosting with the 2407WFP-HC which was never fixed).
Of course, Dell offers a 30 days period to return/exchange but I do not like to waste my time as a beta tester.

I think the price will be about the same as the 2709W which sells for a little over $700

Dave

If this LCD is for real, I'll definitely get 2 for my first multi-monitor setup.

Considering the u2410 has the worst grainy coating of them all I fear this monitor is going to be a big pile of sparkle now that it is confirmed matte.

Man, the monitor market is just crap.....

Pretty sad when you have to buy an imac and close your shades to get a decent display.

I am so tired of the coating on my 3007wfp.

Considering the u2410 has the worst grainy coating of them all I fear this monitor is going to be a big pile of sparkle now that it is confirmed matte.

If you look at an iMac teardown the screen is also matte. The glass just "reverses" the effects of the matte coating. It would be great if someone could remove the glass panel and see how the matte coating is on this lcd panel.

hmmm, now the tough decision, I was considering a IPS monitor as I do a decent amount of amatuer photo editing and would love the better display BUT in my search I have stubbled across the new 3D monitors, of which a few 23.6" full HD ones are coming out around the same time as this Dell 27" monitor.

I know most of you are probably wondering why I am even comparing the two, but I am sure there are a few of you in the same boat as me, I don't have $1500 to buy both, I do have around $600-$700 to spend for a new monitor though. So its either a 27" IPS Dell which could have its "dell issues" or a 23.6" HD 3D monitor (probably around $400) and the nvidia glasses ($200) for a $600 total. I know lots are skeptical of the 3D effect but the people I know who have tried it says its not a gimmic and it really works well, has its flaws but brings games to a different level. Think Avatar in 3D versus regular (can live without it, but why?):D

I think NEC 27" would be well worthy than this with all the inheritance coming from their ancestor.
Like U2410 vs 2490wuxi

If the NEC is comparable in price to the Dell, I will get the NEC. But I probably lean for the Dell, easier return policy? I can not wait till this comes out finally to upgrade my LG monitor.

Any guesses on price?

On Dell's website the u2410 goes for $550 and the 2709W goes for $930. So the U2711 should list somewhere around $900 and will sell for around $700 with discounts. The models change, but the price structure generally stays the same.

I totally agree with RadXge. Don't buy the first gen of any display especially from Dell.

Dave

On Dell's website the u2410 goes for $550 and the 2709W goes for $930. So the U2711 should list somewhere around $900 and will sell for around $700 with discounts. The models change, but the price structure generally stays the same.

I totally agree with RadXge. Don't buy the first gen of any display especially from Dell.

Dave

Damn that is expensive :( Was hoping for around $600ish... oh well.

If the NEC is comparable in price to the Dell, I will get the NEC.

Not a chance. NEC always charge a hefty premium. Whether it's worth it or not is up for debate, but regardless it's pretty unlikely that NEC and Dell would have comparable prices on similar models.

Damn that is expensive :( Was hoping for around $600ish... oh well.

The prices people are throwing around aren't cheap, that's true. But look at what else is on the market specs- and price-wise and you'll see that the speculated prices are inline with the current market. A 27" LCD with LED backlighting and 2560x1440 resolution for $600 is unrealistic at the moment.

How do we know Dell will also have LED backlighting? That seems to be Apples thing right now, but no one else has a 24" IPS with LED BL, like the ACD 24", for instance. IIRC the specs on the NEC 27" leaked and it isn't LED BL.

Full array LED or edge-lit?
I guess that I should not hope for local dimming...

If you look at an iMac teardown the screen is also matte. The glass just "reverses" the effects of the matte coating. It would be great if someone could remove the glass panel and see how the matte coating is on this lcd panel.

You just made that up. The iMac screen is not matte, the actual panel is glossy, or rather, clear. Glass can't 'reverse' a panel's coating, that's absurd.

If it's the exact same panel as the newer iMac, it will be edge-lit. I'm praying it's also glossy.

According to the pics it is not glossy.
If you look at an imac the panel itselft is not glossy either. It just has a piece of glass over it.

If you read the commentary of the teardown, they mention that the panel is *very* glossy. The pictures didn't capture the glossiness that well.

If you read the commentary of the teardown, they mention that the panel is *very* glossy. The pictures didn't capture the glossiness that well.

Your right I missed that. I just don't see how the pic doesn't show that.

I hope this monitor turns out to be winner, I need to replace my trusty Philips 107E5 (crt) soon

A leak of a new 27" monitor coming from Dell. Unconfirmed speculation suggests it might be the same panel as found in the 27" iMac:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/18.htm#dell_u2711

OMG, THIS WILL BE MINE

I have the 27" iMac sitting next to an NEC 2490WUXi, and the 27" in the iMac is my pride and joy. It is fucking glorious, actually makes my awesome NEC seem so much less appealing. If the price is reasonable and the panel specs are the same and out-of-the-box impressions are good then I look forward to getting this as the primary display for my PC and the secondary for my iMac.

The only thing that would keep me away is if it has the similar issues as Dell's current 24" IPS lineup, then I may have to cough up a little more dough for NEC's. We'll see, I'm just happy that the iMac's 27" panel will finally trickle down to other monitors.

I don't know. The dell panel shows some really old fashioned unecesaary thickness. It looks thicker than the entire 27" imac. Maybe it isn't LED. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

If this monitor does 2560x1440 im sold. Want something to replace my PLP setup for Eyefinity. Curious what price range this will fall into.

I also have the 27" iMac and the display makes my adjacent LP2475w look like a piece of junk. If Dell is selling this panel....

2 more days until they debut it at CES.....I'm speculating they will cost 800. What do you guys think?

2 more days until they debut it at CES.....I'm speculating they will cost 800. What do you guys think?

Are you talken list or with discounts? The list on the current 2709W is $930 and Dell always starts with high price and then settles in to the usual list. So I would say the initial price will be over a grand and then settle down to about $900. With discounts it will be available for arround $750. Discounts will not happen unless you are a prefered customer or wait until they ramp up production.

I am also speculating that this panel will replace both the 2709W and the 3008WFP. The 3008WFP will still be arround for another 6 months to a year.

As RadXge said; I would suggest waiting until rev A01, because the first release of any Dell display is usually full of issues.

I hope I am wrong on all counts, but I would not bet on it.

Dave

My plan/hope is to sell my 3008 for enough to cover one 2711 (agreed on waiting for 2nd revision AND price drop/coupon deal). If I can spend around $800 and come away with two 2711s, I'll be :)

I'm definitely getting one of these too, but my guess is it will cost $999 when it comes out

At a minimum:
Higher res than the $930 2709W = dell marketing 'it must cost more because of the better specs'

Someone in China has already got it.

d63936b2412322e4d30f73047f067608.jpg

8bacb2a2deb5ae83ad57bc55cfa222ac.jpg

I may assume this is an ES model and the guy who got this model mentioned it uses 8 U-type CCFL backlight not LED backlight. As he also mentioned It supports 10-bit color reproduction with 12-bit color processing chip, combined with ARGB and SRGB pre-calibrated with 〈5 Delta E value.

Hope this info helps.

Chum

Back