Dell U2711

Someone in China has already got it.

*snip*

Hope this info helps.

Chum

Dang, I hope it's announce at the CES and we can order it soon. I really don't care if it's LED or not. I like the screen resolution with the 27" size. I don't have room for a 30" monitor.

Dang, I hope it's announce at the CES and we can order it soon. I really don't care if it's LED or not. I like the screen resolution with the 27" size. I don't have room for a 30" monitor.

I agree. LED doesn't really change much to be worth paying extra for. It isn't a feature I look for at all. Monitors will have it, when they have it as a free include, for me.

What I think will be crtical on this screen is anti glare coating. With such a small dot pitch you would want to sit close. If it has strong AG coating that could be quite nasty.

LG really needs to address its AG coating (among other things). People have been complaining about their grainy coatinings for more than 5 years now. I had a Dell 3007-HC for a while and see what people mean, if you sit close it is quite gross.

I don't like glossy either, but there are better, semi-matte alternatives. My 2490 is much better than 3007-HC was, while still being matte.

My Samsung HDTV with MVA panel has semi-matte, semi-reflective screen. I see pretty much zero grain effect even close up, and reflections are tames as well.

I'd be very dissapointed if they didn't put LED's in this. I suspected from the depth of the early pictures that it was not LED. I think that is a big blunder if Dell goes that route. AG Coatingissues, no LED is hardly worth switching from one of the 30" models. Not to mention, it is just an ugly frame. Looks years old compared to the sleaker models out today.

I'd be very dissapointed if they didn't put LED's in this. I suspected from the depth of the early pictures that it was not LED. I think that is a big blunder if Dell goes that route. AG Coatingissues, no LED is hardly worth switching from one of the 30" models. Not to mention, it is just an ugly frame. Looks years old compared to the sleaker models out today.

LED really doesn't' give better display characteristics, so that doesn't seem a deal breaker.

The frame is is plain simple and matte black. In other words nearly ideal (could be thinner). The frame shouldn't attract attention to itself. Like the new HPs with black sides and chrome top and bottom. That is just lame stylistic attempt where you really don't need it. My NEC frame is just like this and I LOVE it. My Samsung HDTV frame is high gloss black and I hate it. It reflects everything. I dont' get why TV manufactures keep putting on glossy frames. WTF would anyone want a glossy frame?

As far as screen coating, several polls show that most prefer matte screens to glossy screen (as do I), and this screen is clearly matte. But there is a wide range of matte screens.

The unknown, but important factors will be: if the AG coating is an improved version or the overly strong coating like on the Dell 3007-HC, and how good the sRGB emultation is.

To me, LED is a "nice to have" feature, but nothing more. I really like the near 30" resolution in a smaller size. The 2711 in that China pic looks very nice. I like the black bezel better than the brushed aluminum on my 3008WFP.

The unknown, but important factors will be: if the AG coating is an improved version or the overly strong coating like on the Dell 3007-HC, and how good the sRGB emultation is.

Yah it would be wrong to assume that it is the same old stuff, because this is a newer gen panel. We'll just have to wait and see.

My other concern is white glow on a display this wide. I took a good long look at a 27" iMac in the local bestbuy. I really did not see much, but the video feed sucked so it was hard to say for sure. If it has as much white glow as the 3008wfp than I will be forced to pass on it.

Dave

My other concern is white glow on a display this wide. I took a good long look at a 27" iMac in the local bestbuy.
Dave

Yeah, nearly forgot about white glow. You really can't tell much in a big box store under blaring lights and without control of the content.

I don't have an LED lit display, but isn't the big complaint about CCFL that it usually bleeds or is uneven and hot, etc? I thought LED was supossed to be brighter, better colors, more uniform, allow for thinner chassis, no? And compared to the sleek look of the 27" imac, this looks boxy to me. Glare asside, the glass to the edge of the screen look is a nice effect. I guess it's a matter of each persons taste.

My motivation for this monitor was to buy 3 for eyefinity. With these potential issues maybe I should just buy two more 3007WFP-HCs.

I thought LED was supossed to be brighter, better colors, more uniform, allow for thinner chassis, no?

Brighter: No. Check out comparables, LEDs are usually less bright.

Better Colors: No. They allowed wider gamuts, but that isn't really considered better.

More Uniform: No. Uniformity issues seem to result more from the panels light blocking character and light spreader, not the light source.

Thinner: Only with edge lit designs and thin light spreaders. iMac design is more to do with good industrial design engineers at Apple than with the LED light source. I bet the base panel stripped out has a negligible size difference from the CCFL version.

LED is basically just another light source, there are some small advantages involved, but no deal breakers that should really sway a purchasing decision.

LED is nice, but I'm interested in this for the resolution and the IPS. No LED != dealbreaker for me.

I paid $1299 for my new 3008 back in Feb '09. $1049 is too high to get me to buy two 2711s but coupon deals should put it in my price range. Just gotta be patient and keep looking for the right coupon.

is dell smoking crack. a whole computer comes with the 27" apple and thats only $600 more. on top of that their own 30" is around the $1000 mark i mean really!?

hopefully we see coupons bringing this down to the $750~ level. should be a REAL contender at that price point.

Wide-gamut, probably another terrible "sRGB" mode, way overpriced, and probably the same dirty looking anti-glare coating...

Might as well buy a 27" imac and use it as a display at this point..

edit; actually, the NEC's with this panel might be priced about the same, and will probably be a lot better. Does Dell really think they can compete with NEC?

Wide-gamut, probably another terrible "sRGB" mode, way overpriced, and probably the same dirty looking anti-glare coating...

Might as well buy a 27" imac and use it as a display at this point..

edit; actually, the NEC's with this panel might be priced about the same, and will probably be a lot better. Does Dell really think they can compete with NEC?

I totally agree.

-Ugly display
- Important Depth ( for a 27" you can't use it at 30cm)
- No LED...
- Wide Gamut
- Grainy Coating
- 1050$ ! (and 1050 € according to dell conversion)

Now we have to wait for an hypothetic 27" Apple Cinema Display (Imac is great but it's not really cheap when you don't want to change your computer...)

MSRP does look a touch expensive, but at least it has connections for everything - what are the odds they've ruined it with high lag?

Thanks for the the Engadget and Computer Shopper !?! reviews. So I wonder how early did Engadget get their monitor, since there was a link back to at least the pictures from last month.... Oh well, looks like a buy to me, however, the wide gamut probably will be the big worry since people who got the U2410 had to calibrate that monitor so it didn't look "wash" out. Still maybe I will wait till March 2010 till our fellow [H] purchasers do some gaming, photo, video, etc. tests...

is the DPI too high on a 27in? I think the 30in 3008WFP had acceptable DPI. But, the vertical resolution is a bit lower 1440 vs. 1600 pixels. As I get older my eyes scream for lower DPI. LOL

Not hopeful with the input lag since the U2410 sucked and U2711 has a ton of inputs like the 3008.

Dell, give us a stripped down model with only a single native DP input and zero input lag!

CNET said:
The good: The Dell UltraSharp U2711 has a super high-resolution screen that shows images in a fidelity we've not seen on a 27-inch display before. Also, the monitor exhibits deep blacks while watching movies, vibrant color in games, has a robust onscreen display, and has a plethora of connection options.

The bad: The Dell UltraSharp U2711 is missing the pivot option that the U2410 had. Also, buyers may find its price prohibitive.

The bottom line: The Dell UltraSharp U2711 is a feature-rich monitor with incredible performance that earns its high price.

CNET Editor's Choice with rating 4.5 starts out of 5 (Outstanding)

CNET Reviewhttp://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitor...833.html?part=cnet&subj=Dell+UltraSharp+U2711

Very tempting, but I have a hard time biting on this when the older 30" panels are starting to get down near this price. I've been looking to replace my 24" with something bigger but I don't know if I can justify dropping over a grand for an additional three inches.

Very tempting, but I have a hard time biting on this when the older 30" panels are starting to get down near this price. I've been looking to replace my 24" with something bigger but I don't know if I can justify dropping over a grand for an additional three inches.
It's not just 24" vs. 27", it's 1920x1200 vs. 2560x1440. The much higher resolution is the real difference.

Not worth it at that price when you pick up a 30" like the 3007WFP-HC for ~$900 on sale. Though I'm sure we'll see deals on this 27" soon, driving it below $1000.

While the CNET review is not great (I get nervous when there's a typo in the title of the review on a professional site) and in the past they've been an unreliable review source, the reviewer specifically mentioned that a) It does not have the same dithering issues in sRGB mode seen on the U2410, b) It does not have the same glow issues as the U2410. He seemed to imply that the colors and contrast were better, and the one thing he said that backed it up is that it scored the highest on their suite of color measurements than any previous display that they've tested. Who knows what they test though.

I would say the new stand is nice, but it has no pivot function. BOO.

I wish we could find out what the anti-glare coating looks like. I really hope its not the same as previous Dell models.

Looks nice, i might finally upgrade my 2408 but only @800 shipped.

I now wonder if there will be a 3011 or maybe a 3012?

Edit... Just checked dell and they're selling the old 2709W for $929, I guess 2711s price is not bad considering how much better it is compared to its older brother but 1k+? That a little crazy.

Last edited:
Relax; It is just now being released. I paid $720 shipped for my 2709W. We will see this thing under $800 on some of those weekend sales or with coupons.

The CNet artical has some good news in it. No White glow! and improved blacks/contrast and reduced brightness. Too bad they did not properly evaluate the input lag, sRGB emulation, AG coating.

For me pivoting a 16 by 9 display is not necessary; it would be a joke in Eyefinity.

If the AG coating has been improved and the sRGB mode works the U2711 could be a winner.

Dave

Last edited:
The CNet artical has some good news in it. No White glow!

CNet didn't say that.

Interesting to compare with the iMac 27": similar panel? WG or not? LED BL or not? What LED with what gamut?
BTW iMac has glow.

I saw the embarrassing contrast ratio rating of 1000:1 and quickly moved on. But hey at least Dell is honest.

Not worth it at that price when you pick up a 30" like the 3007WFP-HC for ~$900 on sale. Though I'm sure we'll see deals on this 27" soon, driving it below $1000.

Worth it if you need the extra inputs. AFAIK Dell don't do Dual Link DVI on their laptops, so DisplayPort is the only way to get more then 1920x1200 out of a Dell laptop. 3007 doesn't have DisplayPort. The new 27" could be well worth it if picture quality is better, which remains to be seen.

Back