DFI strikes back with the DFI lanparty JR P45 T2RS

Thxs to johnny bravo over at XS: i managed to boot fsb@600 everytime! by using its ABS profil! (however some tweaks need to be done because i experience bsod when xp loads...)!
No bios reset anymore @600....

wow that's great, I keep BSODing when watching a HD Video.. every time!

I'm only @ 400 FSB w/ 1.24 volts, I'm gonna do a fresh in stall before I head to work....<pulls out the rest of my hair>

wow that's great, I keep BSODing when watching a HD Video.. every time!

I'm only @ 400 FSB w/ 1.24 volts, I'm gonna do a fresh in stall before I head to work....<pulls out the rest of my hair>

I was having trouble with 400FSB until I wrapped my head around the fact that CPU VTT is not the CPU voltage, and *then* everything fell into place, and I'm running just fine at 400FSB with my Q6600 (8x multi for 3.2Ghz, RAM at 800Mhz).

I was having trouble with 400FSB until I wrapped my head around the fact that CPU VTT is not the CPU voltage, and *then* everything fell into place, and I'm running just fine at 400FSB with my Q6600 (8x multi for 3.2Ghz, RAM at 800Mhz).

ok, that's exactly what I did <face palms>

so um, which one is the CPU voltage?

well I just did a fresh install of Vista, gonna try using ABS before I start tweaking myself, since obviously I have no idea where the CPU voltage settings are <I feel like an idiot>

Huh, I haven't seen any show-stoppers yet with Catalyst 8.8 with two 4850 cards in Crossfire yet. What are the major issues you've seen?
It wouldn't recognize my cards or run at all. Tried multiple driver cleaners... safe mode... etc. That actually made it worse! Once I went back to 8.7 it worked fine. There is a thread in Vid Cards with alot of others experiencing issues. My guess is the issue is with Crossfire and 64-bit Vista.

It wouldn't recognize my cards or run at all. Tried multiple driver cleaners... safe mode... etc. That actually made it worse! Once I went back to 8.7 it worked fine. There is a thread in Vid Cards with alot of others experiencing issues. My guess is the issue is with Crossfire and 64-bit Vista.

Weird, sounds like a Vista specific issue. I've had no trouble at all with XP 64-bit and Catalyst 8.8, but in general XP 64-bit doesn't seem to have half the problems Vista does.

Thxs to johnny bravo over at XS: i managed to boot fsb@600 everytime! by using its ABS profil! (however some tweaks need to be done because i experience bsod when xp loads...)!
No bios reset anymore @600....

How stable is it @ 600fsb?

mine is stable @ stock speeds, but I can't seem to get the ABS.exe to work correctly...it constantly gives me reboots and BSOD's...I am currently on my 3rd time reinstalling my OS <slaps forehead>

not sure wtf I am doing wrong

Well so far so good, I'm on my 3rd fresh install of my OS.

Decided not to install the ABS software, but I can't for the life of me figure out "CPU VID Special Add".

ie. how much more voltage am I adding w/ each of these set increments?

Got a question with regards to the ABS? Couldn't you get all the adjustments from the ABS and manually set them in the BIOS without using the software?

How stable is it @ 600fsb?
Did not resolved my BSOD issue.....:(
Got a question with regards to the ABS? Couldn't you get all the adjustments from the ABS and manually set them in the BIOS without using the software?
The ABS profil are written in the CMOS reloaded....So the bios is not modified until you have activated one bank and saved it...
It is possible , thereby to see which settings were modified in the bios by one ABS profil and applied them manually at will....

Hmmm. Is it possible for you to spill your BIOS adjustments after you activated the ABS profile? I think it would help alot of people who are experiencing issues with the ABS. :)

The ABS profil is only activated when you have saved & exit the bios.
And it is possible to modify anything you want from this same profil if needed...
There is no issue with the ABS but instead issue with the components of the rig.

hey pvhk, is there a detailed write up how to use abs? i can't seem to use it very effectively

Is this board still to immature to buy? I'm considering getting one and selling off my P5E, to put my main rig into my Lian-Li v350.

I've got the board also. I'm running a Q9400 processor, and I'm having a hell of a time getting it to do anything more than stock speeds. If I set the ram divider to 1:1, and up the FSB to just 350, I'll get BSODs, or hard locks in Windows. I'm going to try updating to the newest BIOS tomorrow. I was hoping for at least a mild OC to 3.0ghz, but I cant even go up 140mhz.

System:
Q9400
DFI LP JR P45 T2RS
4x1gb Crucial Ballistix(passed 6000% HCI memtest just last night)
HD3870
400W FSP ZEN

Is this board still to immature to buy? I'm considering getting one and selling off my P5E, to put my main rig into my Lian-Li v350.

Q6600 and 333Mhz FSB stable, 400Mhz mostly stable so far, haven't done extensive tweaking yet, but I'm running a fully loaded system so it's tricky (four 2GB sticks of RAM, all slots filled, etc.)

For a moment. :)

Q9550OCC1fast.JPG

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=412190

Wasn't stable at all.

Now I'm knocking it down some. :)

I'd like to stable it out but I don't know enoguh about RAM tweaking to get it stable.

So I'll knock it down a little till it's stable and let her run a few days till I have some time to tweak it more.

ABS would be great if there were a bunch of people who would share profiles for similiar builds.

Right now it's just at the begining stages.

I'm going to guess that with this mobo people will get higher overclocks using two ram slots filled than those running with four ram slots filled. This seems to be a common thing with many mobos ATX and mATX a like.

ABS would be great if there were a bunch of people who would share profiles for similiar builds.

Right now it's just at the begining stages.

seriously, I can't even figure out how to bump up the cpu voltage...I wish there was a more in depth instructions on how to use abs

maybe pvhk can do a write up ;) *hint hint*!

I will update my test with the guide on how to use ABS tool & CMOS reloaded!

I will update my test with the guide on how to use ABS tool & CMOS reloaded!

Cool.

I figured out the CMOS reloaded.

I stored my almost stable 3.8ghz setting into bank four and during boot up I can get it back instantly by pressing F1.

Also during the normal BIOS home page press F9 for advanced BIOS adjustment mode.

Also if you want to force a reboot from a particular media source press escape right after powering up and a screen will appear that allows for a quick media source selection boot.

Stable at 3.4GHZ works great. RAN Folding@home with my HD4850 ATI client software all night the other day without a single problem.

Awesome write up!

Thanks.

I hope more people start using the ABS application and share the profiles. Huge step in group effort OC.

I noticed your VDIM voltage in the RED.

Did you run memtest86x before booting it up?

Did it clear?

Have you tried lowering the voltage?

Looks like it might burn it up or cause a problem.

Awesome display of OC.

Good news.

I let the Q9550 with C1 stepping free because it didn't have the magic E0 stepping which is officially endorsed for the P45 chipset.

The Q9400 officially supports the P45 chipset and it has R0 stepping.

With the Q9550 I reached a stability barrier at 450FSB with a 8.5 multiplier. I saved the settings in my BIOS and ran them with the Q9400 and got a go for the boot and for the RAM settings on Memtest86x.

So here is how my machine is reacting with the Q9400! :cool:

Q9400450FSBstable.JPG

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=413416

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/uwx9r/

Also pay close attention to my voltages and temps!! :)
Q9400tempsat450FSB.JPG

I need to add a NB fan on the heatsink.

Q9400 transplant is a success so far. :D

I've got the board also. I'm running a Q9400 processor, and I'm having a hell of a time getting it to do anything more than stock speeds. If I set the ram divider to 1:1, and up the FSB to just 350, I'll get BSODs, or hard locks in Windows. I'm going to try updating to the newest BIOS tomorrow. I was hoping for at least a mild OC to 3.0ghz, but I cant even go up 140mhz.

System:
Q9400
DFI LP JR P45 T2RS
4x1gb Crucial Ballistix(passed 6000% HCI memtest just last night)
HD3870
400W FSP ZEN

I just started a ABS profile thread wtih a profile that may work with your machine.

Check it out: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1344629

Also looking at your build specs I am going to take a guess that your problem may be due to your low PSU. The MB alone requires at least 450W according to the manual.

Good luck.

So neither of the 16x length slots on this board ever run at 16x right? I'm still confused about all this mention of an IC switch that switches b/w 16x and 8x.

Are there any options in its BIOS to configure either of the 16x length slots to work with 8x, 4x or 1x PCIe cards? I'd like to put a PCIe 1x tuner in one of those 16x length slots.

My 9800GX2 will go into the 16x length slot next to the standard PCI slot, a USB / firewire PCIe 1x card in the PCIe 1x slot and a PCIe1x TV tuner in the top PCIe 16x length slot.

So neither of the 16x length slots on this board ever run at 16x right? I'm still confused about all this mention of an IC switch that switches b/w 16x and 8x.

Are there any options in its BIOS to configure either of the 16x length slots to work with 8x, 4x or 1x PCIe cards? I'd like to put a PCIe 1x tuner in one of those 16x length slots.

My 9800GX2 will go into the 16x length slot next to the standard PCI slot, a USB / firewire PCIe 1x card in the PCIe 1x slot and a PCIe1x TV tuner in the top PCIe 16x length slot.

Both 16x slots in the DFI JR board are electrically 8x full time, and can not be changed higher.

There are two pieces that are relevant, and they use the same naming which is confusing. The FORMFACTOR of the slot determines what card can be inserted and run. 16x, 8x, 4x, 1x. This refers to the physical length of the card interface slot. Also necessary is the BANDWIDTH of the slot. This is also represented by 16x, 8x, 4x, or 1x. This represents how much bandwidth on the PCI backplane is available to that slot, and can also be referenced as LANES. Now, to make it really confusing, a 16x physical slot can only have 8x electrical bandwidth (like the DFI JR board). So, a 16x physical formfactor card, like a Video card, will fit and run in the slot, but it only has 8x max bandwidth available (instead of the full 16x that is possible).

All PCIe slots are "downwards compatible" with lower multi cards. So, a 16x slot will take a 16x card, an 8x, 4x, or 1x card also. Just have to plug the card in, no settings to make.

Both 16x slots in the DFI JR board are electrically 8x full time, and can not be changed higher.

There are two pieces that are relevant, and they use the same naming which is confusing. The FORMFACTOR of the slot determines what card can be inserted and run. 16x, 8x, 4x, 1x. This refers to the physical length of the card interface slot. Also necessary is the BANDWIDTH of the slot. This is also represented by 16x, 8x, 4x, or 1x. This represents how much bandwidth on the PCI backplane is available to that slot, and can also be referenced as LANES. Now, to make it really confusing, a 16x physical slot can only have 8x electrical bandwidth (like the DFI JR board). So, a 16x physical formfactor card, like a Video card, will fit and run in the slot, but it only has 8x max bandwidth available (instead of the full 16x that is possible).

All PCIe slots are "downwards compatible" with lower multi cards. So, a 16x slot will take a 16x card, an 8x, 4x, or 1x card also. Just have to plug the card in, no settings to make.

Yeah, no need to regurgitate wikipedia on the PCIe stuff. I know all about that. I want to hear from an owner of this board about using 1x, 4x, and 8x cards in the 16x length slots. I know it should work, but on some other boards, the BIOS prevents users from using 1x, 4x, and 8x cards in the 16x length slots.

Another question I have is if the BIOS has a timeout setting for SATA optical drives like Asus does in the BIOS of many of their motherboards.

e8400_4ghz_7318d.jpg

Almost 10 hrs orthos stable.
Settings are
+150mv
1.908 dram
NB 1.345
VTT 1.25
The rest @ default. CPU features all disabled except thermal management and the last. Will be enabling them later..

Gonna go back to bios now and try to lower voltages :X. Done on an Enzotech Ultra w/ a Noctua 1200rpm mounted at the bottom blowing @ the cpu. 2nd reseat : \

Looks good. What is your max OC on the fsb?

Yeah, no need to regurgitate wikipedia on the PCIe stuff. I know all about that. I want to hear from an owner of this board about using 1x, 4x, and 8x cards in the 16x length slots. I know it should work, but on some other boards, the BIOS prevents users from using 1x, 4x, and 8x cards in the 16x length slots.

Another question I have is if the BIOS has a timeout setting for SATA optical drives like Asus does in the BIOS of many of their motherboards.
He gave you that answer and it was answered before. Go through the thread and read it.

lowteckh
You could hit up to fsb@550 stable (maybe more) with a c2d if your stick can sustain those fsb..
And with luck, screen @600...
With a quad it's another story...

page1 updated:added
-mounting an TRUE in vertical position
-fsb in async mode with ddr2@600 (1200)

Back