DFI strikes back with the DFI lanparty JR P45 T2RS

pvhk,

Where'd you get that version of Smart Guardian, showing the LP JR logo? The version on the CD v2.03 (and the latest I could find on website) both show the LP DK logo.

modded by myself: SG "lord vader mod" ;)
55515.jpg

would this mb be preferable over the p5q-em if i don't intend to use crossfire?

would this mb be preferable over the p5q-em if i don't intend to use crossfire?
If it performs as well as the P5E-VM, then I would definitely go with the ASUS. The LanParty JR has DFI's infamous reliability. I count 3 with dead boards already.

I just got mine, going to drop an E2180 into it with a 5200FX (pci, no video card right now) to see if it'll boot.

My board is headed back from RMA, still debating getting another or just calling it a day.

I was wondering would it be possible for all three people that got a working board to list what PSU and RAM they are using?

It could be helpful for checking compatibility.
Thanks!

wow, that really is a bad spate of motherboards. wth is going on with DFI?

Get mine end of the week, these horror stories don't really give confidence.

If it performs as well as the P5E-VM, then I would definitely go with the ASUS. The LanParty JR has DFI's infamous reliability. I count 3 with dead boards already.

Yeah, I would say go with the P5E-VM HDMI for those not wanting or not planning to run dual cards and the DFI for those that want/need a dual card mATX mobo. At least thats my thoughts for now. They could change though if DFI improves the mobo through BIOS updates. Also there is a SLI version yet to be released so folks may want to wait and see what its capable of. I heard one rumor it comes sometime in October but thats just a rumor.

October is past Nehalem... that'd be worthy of "late to the game very much?"

I am running for a week with Mushkin Redline 2x2gb PC2-8000 and a Q9300. Tried some overclocking but have 0 time available then i'll be off for a week.

I have an 4850 inside an InWin Jade case but it gets a little hot (the GPU area - the CPU partion is cool an nice). I'm waiting for a vf900 to cool it better.

Lastly the PSU i'm using is a FSP 300W that runs without problems for now.

cheers

wow, that really is a bad spate of motherboards. wth is going on with DFI?

Typical DFI quality issues. They'll claim there are no issues, then a new "SUPER" edition of this board will be released that actually performs as expected, but randomly shoots 12v directly to your processor, frying it. Then, they'll claim you weren't using an approved PSU and deny your warranty. Then, a dude named Travis (well, not anymore) will berate you on the internet. While you're doing all this, people everywhere but YOUR house will be breaking OC'ing records.

Sleepeeg3, does that sound about right?:p:(

Point is we'll be looking forward to matx Nehalem boards past launch, October a post-launch month and an SLI offering for whatever 775 and AM2 probably won't be as hot. Especially if you consider the price and if it hovers at near $200 then.

Typical DFI quality issues. They'll claim there are no issues, then a new "SUPER" edition of this board will be released that actually performs as expected, but randomly shoots 12v directly to your processor, frying it. Then, they'll claim you weren't using an approved PSU and deny your warranty. Then, a dude named Travis (well, not anymore) will berate you on the internet. While you're doing all this, people everywhere but YOUR house will be breaking OC'ing records.

Sleepeeg3, does that sound about right?:p:(

lmao, so what's the original story Sleep?

I don’t want to come down too hard on DFI, because they are the only game in down for SLI/Crossfire mATX, but I swore them off after 3 dead Infinity’s in the socket A days. That was before the bios issues were known and people actually started to sell backup bioses for when the bios died. Their own forum rep tried to leave, because they were trying to silence him about the issues. I also just saw a formerly respected member of PC Perspective, who helped me and a lot of people during the Infinity days, became a mod/employee in the DFI forums and was talking down to someone about expecting a DFI DK P35-T2RS to overclock 472MHz+ because it was a “cheap” board.

That said, if you want a dual PCI-E board, it is the only choice. Pvhk's works great and mine was running successfully for a few days and only had bios corruption(?) because it was reset so many times to determine the max FSB. I probably could have left it at 400x9 and been fine, although I was struggling to find stability at that same speed as the ASUS…

One good(?) thing I can say is a rep from DFI both e-mailed and called me when I submitted the RMA with MotherboardPro. They were also quick to respond when I asked them about upcoming models. Just wish their boards were more reliable…

If you really want Crossfire, can accept a 450-500fsb, then it might turn out to be a decent board. They also have SLI, DDR3, nVidia and AMD boards to look forward to – these might turn out to be better.

Nehalem may be something to wait for, but for gaming it may actually turn out to be slower. Anandtech said the reduced L2 is going to hurt performance.

Thanks for your insight sleepee,

quick question, after you reflash your bios to the latest, is there anything that I should do?

I was on the DFI website, and now there's a big "warning gif" where the bios download is, something about having to update ABS or something like that.

I haven't had a chance to mess w/ the mobo since last week, since I've been out of town.

If you don't mind, giving some suggestions, that would be great since this is my first DFI board and 2nd matx mobo

I think it is the update for their windows-based overclocking ABS program. I just used Winflash with the option to reset the CMOS.

I did the same, but @ stock clocks I got the random reboots...just trying to figure out why since I didn't get it w/ the "stock bios"

do you think I should try to "reflash" the new bios again?

yang
That's the way i flashed the board:

at stock speed....

@sleepeeg3: sorry for your dead board (it reminds me of my dead F-I90HD in the past) :(

Page1 updated with the dfi LP JR test

Thank pvhk,

do you think it would be ok, if I did a reflash? or just try to look @ other variables?

if you experienced those issues even at stock speed, you can eventually flash again but once again be carefull : all at stock!

I don’t want to come down too hard on DFI, because they are the only game in down for SLI/Crossfire mATX, but I swore them off after 3 dead Infinity’s in the socket A days. That was before the bios issues were known and people actually started to sell backup bioses for when the bios died. Their own forum rep tried to leave, because they were trying to silence him about the issues. I also just saw a formerly respected member of PC Perspective, who helped me and a lot of people during the Infinity days, became a mod/employee in the DFI forums and was talking down to someone about expecting a DFI DK P35-T2RS to overclock 472MHz+ because it was a “cheap” board.

That said, if you want a dual PCI-E board, it is the only choice. Pvhk's works great and mine was running successfully for a few days and only had bios corruption(?) because it was reset so many times to determine the max FSB. I probably could have left it at 400x9 and been fine, although I was struggling to find stability at that same speed as the ASUS…

One good(?) thing I can say is a rep from DFI both e-mailed and called me when I submitted the RMA with MotherboardPro. They were also quick to respond when I asked them about upcoming models. Just wish their boards were more reliable…

If you really want Crossfire, can accept a 450-500fsb, then it might turn out to be a decent board. They also have SLI, DDR3, nVidia and AMD boards to look forward to – these might turn out to be better.

Nehalem may be something to wait for, but for gaming it may actually turn out to be slower. Anandtech said the reduced L2 is going to hurt performance.

SOunds like your experience with DFI boards is about on par with mine. When those things run, though, WOW! I even went so far as to send Angry my RAM to get some stable settings (TCCD-based Corsair) since many people were having issues with it. He was quite condescending AFTER he'd gotten the stuff he wanted from me. I hope their current reps are more personable (not withstanding the behind the scenes hijinx).

well I didn't reflash the bios, and so far so good.

But I'm a little hesitant to start OCing, as I don't want to run into the random reboots again...

maybe I'll be a little adventurous tonight and test out the abs OCing tool

Damn impressive! corsair HX1000 in a matx board...
BTW, some 3d bench would be nice (vantage...) :)

I'll get some up tonight, was exhausted....idle for both cards are pretty high @ 85...I may just leave the case open when gaming since the 2 x2's are literally sandwiched together

thanks for the compliments, I don't upgrade too often, so I won't be building another rig for quite a while =P

Qmicra's are the Cadillacs of the mATX cases IMO. I have a V1 and I love it to death. The new V2s allow for a bigger cpu hsf and have better cooling. Not much bigger than the V1. Just an inch taller. Priced like a Cadillac too though unfortunately. :)

Hey, yang. Did you go with the laptop opticals to fit the 1000HX in there, or forgo opticals altogether?

I was actually able to keep the optical @ the bottom drive, but wire management sucks since the 1000 HX is big and the optical covers the "holes" that allow "cleaner" wiring. it was a trade off, but I was still able to retain the optical.

Well seeing how finnicky the DFI mobo is, ATi is just as picky w/ it's drivers...I spent all night trying to test which drivers worked best and it was HUGE PITA

gonna test out some games tonight and see how everything runs

Ya I had some major issues with the 8.8s, they were simpling not going to run. First time I have ever had issues with ATi drivers, but then these are the first cards I've owned since they were acquired.

Ya I had some major issues with the 8.8s, they were simpling not going to run. First time I have ever had issues with ATi drivers, but then these are the first cards I've owned since they were acquired.

Huh, I haven't seen any show-stoppers yet with Catalyst 8.8 with two 4850 cards in Crossfire yet. What are the major issues you've seen?

Back