DFI strikes back with the DFI lanparty JR P45 T2RS

I posted about that 2 days ago on another site. Did you read my post?

;)

Thanks...

My visual aid should help... :)

I've read the manual completely and it doesn't explain how to run a single slot at full 16x PCI 2.0 bandwidth.

All I'm getting is 8x@PCI 2.0 with a single HD4850.

Is anybody using this motherboard with the Silverstone SG03? I'm a little worried about the heatsink clearance and how the PSU fan lines up.

Thanks in advance!

I've read the manual completely and it doesn't explain how to run a single slot at full 16x PCI 2.0 bandwidth.

I read somewhere that it was a jumper you had to switch around on the board in order to get single 16x. Can't remember where I read it though so I don't have a link. Try some google searching.

What if you use a NVIDIA card? Does it go to x16? Considering this is a crossfire capable board. Maybe using an NVIDIA product will enable the x16? Just tossing out ideas.

Good call!

I've been stressing over this myself.

If the NT06-E + Down facing PSU thing in an SG03 is a no go with this board i'll cry.

Just thought I'd mention it to anybody who doesn't know, but this board is on Newegg.

The northbridge heatsink looks like it would interfere with the Thermaltake Orb series coolers. Anybody using one with this board? Also if anyone has one of these in a Lanbox Lite can you tell me what a good cooler for this board would be?

Asked in 2 threads or w/e on this same section.

You are exactly correct. Question is what cooler works? Or maybe we could hack or change the cooler out.

switching my transcend axeram pc6400 (D9GMH) to crucial ballistix 5300 (D9GMH) :
fsb@500:
500fsb.jpg

ballistix pc8000 (d9gmh):
fsb@512:
512.jpg

This mb appeared not to be friendly with all sticks (even if d9gmh) in my opinion...

I read somewhere that it was a jumper you had to switch around on the board in order to get single 16x. Can't remember where I read it though so I don't have a link. Try some google searching.

I've done alot of Google searching. It's such a new MB. HardForum has alot of activity going on with it. That is why I'm here. I want to learn how to tweak it. :D

This maybe a stupid question, but the "Com1" connection can't be used as a firewire connection correct?

I have card reader for a front bay and was hoping that there was someone to use a firewire even though there were quite a few other owners saying this mb doesn't have firewire.

thanks

I'm pretty sure it mentioned the lanes being jumper selectable but that might have been for the full size board as info was a bit confused early on. Certainly the manual seems to give fairly complete coverage of the available jumpers and there's nothing pertaining to PCIe that I can see. Maybe a bios option?

Can someone who has the board check the slots actually have 16 electrical contacts on them?

I think the big confusion is the language on the description of the specs:

PCI Express 2.0 x16 1 x16 or 2 x16 Graphic Slots in 2 x8 lanes by IC switch

I'm guessing the "IC switch" means integrated control switch. Part of the hardware.

There are a few jumpers by the top PCI slot but in the owners manual it clearly states that it has nothing to do with controlling the speed of the PCI slot.

Look at the description of the product at Newgg under specifications to see what I'm refering to. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136055

It sadly looks like there is no "single 16x" PCI slot option at full PCI 2.0 bandwidth speed. :(

I hope I'm wrong.

The good news is that most modern video cards cannot max out the limits of PCI 1.0 16x. Maby the new ATI 2xHD4870 can though. Not sure.

I'm disappointed because I already bought the MB and thought the single PCI 2.0 16x bandwidth was going to be an option. All because of unclear language in the specs. So don't count on the single full PCI 2.0 16x bandwidth and enjoy what this mATX has to offer.

It's still the best DDR2 mATX MB out right now though. So... now you know what you get. (unless I'm wrong which I hope).

Great MB.

Buy from Motherboard-PRO!!

This maybe a stupid question, but the "Com1" connection can't be used as a firewire connection correct?

I have card reader for a front bay and was hoping that there was someone to use a firewire even though there were quite a few other owners saying this mb doesn't have firewire.

thanks

In the manual it looks like a 1394 device can be connected to the "easy" connectors.

Com ports are usually for serial ports.

ah i c, but what devices can utilize those serial ports? just curious b/c the pins look like they match the 1394 plug from my reader...good thing I didn't just "stick it on there" b/c it looked like it would fit :p

so a Com1 can work w/ a 1394 device? aka Firewire? <crosses fingers>

Ok new information. There is a manual that comes in .pdf format on the CD that has more information than the paperback manual. :D

Not a whole lot more. 1 thing I noted to be important is that it list this MB to support 1000mhz DDR2 RAM. That description of this MB makes it much more appealing than a mATX MB that support PC6400.

Back on topic about the 1394 interface connector. This image is from the support CD that comes with the DFI LP JR P45 T2RS:

1394P45JRDFI.JPG

Don't some of you in this thread have one of these boards already? Why can't anyone confirm that there is a firewire header as in the picture above?

Don't some of you in this thread have one of these boards already? Why can't anyone confirm that there is a firewire header as in the picture above?

Well I do have those "helper plugs" in the above SS, but I couldn't find anywhere in the manual about where the 1394 plug goes into, the only thing that I could see on the mb that may possibly work was the Com1 pins

Back to the Video lack of verification:

I guess that means if Crossfire is on one can be in 16x one in 8x or 8x,8x

If Crossfire is off then you can use 16x

MBinfo.jpg

wait, sorry ...but I'm a little confused, so do we have to mess w/ any of the jumpers in order to run CF in 2 x 8x?

Email from DFI HQ:

Yes, JR P45 Micro ATX board has “2 PCIe v2 x16 slots” , due to our SPEC. definition for it, we fixed 2 slot are 8X+8X supported.

Due to the design limitation, there is no jumper array or digital switch to let PCIE1 become 16X supported

But, do not worry about the 3D performance. We believed there is no a bigger performance gap between 8X/16 Gen2, even CF enabled.

Picture is the test we done on ATI 4850 for your reference (DK P45 compare to LT X38)

PCI-E bandwidth
3dmark Vantage Score
GPU Score
CPU Score
File link:

8X Single
DK_P45_PCIE4_ATI_HD4850.jpg

16X Single
DK_P45_PCIE2_ATI_HD4850.jpg

8X+8X Crossfire
DK_ATI_HD4850_Crossfire.jpg

16X+16X Crossfire
LT_X38_T2R_HD4850_Crossfire_

Have a nice day!

So, fixed at 8x full time, but they claim there's little to no performance hit for this...

I e-mailed DFI as well, but it looks like the answer is pretty clear. The lack of flexibility is somewhat disappointing. It means for a single video card I might as well have bought the GA-G33M-DS2R many months ago.

Not so interested in a benchmark on a 4850. FPS on a high resolution game with a more agressive card (280GX or 4870x2) would be a lot more convincing. Time to go hunting the forums / net. I seem to remember this question being bludgeoned to death in the video card forums here, thought it was mostly X48 vs P45 SLI.

Email from DFI HQ:

So, fixed at 8x full time, but they claim there's little to no performance hit for this...

This may be true, as the slots are PCIE2.0, however, it does make the board less future-proof.

Boo...

I e-mailed DFI as well, but it looks like the answer is pretty clear. The lack of flexibility is somewhat disappointing. It means for a single video card I might as well have bought the GA-G33M-DS2R many months ago.

Not so interested in a benchmark on a 4850. FPS on a high resolution game with a more agressive card (280GX or 4870x2) would be a lot more convincing. Time to go hunting the forums / net. I seem to remember this question being bludgeoned to death in the video card forums here, thought it was mostly X48 vs P45 SLI.

Don't worry, You can always wait and see if the follow up version has the same limitation:

DFI LP Jr. P45 T3RS DDR3 CrossFire Micro ATX Motherboard
http://www.motherboardpro.com/DFI-LP-Jr-P45-T3RS-DDR3-CrossFire-Micro-ATX-Motherboard-p-660.html

Funny enough I do have the GA-G33M-DS2R. DFI should have done the same thing, 16x PCI-E and 4xPCI-E slots

Looking at the CPU/GPU Data, it shows that the 8x8x crossfire is scorring better than the 16x16x crossfire

Isn't the T3RS the exact same thing, but w/ support for DDR3 instead of DDR2?

something has to be different other than it being DDR3. There has to be a couple of upgrades on it, why else would you want to pay extra for DDR3.

switching my transcend axeram pc6400 (D9GMH) to crucial ballistix 5300 (D9GMH) :
fsb@500:
500fsb.jpg

ballistix pc8000 (d9gmh):
fsb@512:
512.jpg

This mb appeared not to be friendly with all sticks (even if d9gmh) in my opinion...

Dont forget DFI mobos are rather picky altogether simply because they offer so much overclocking ability. From what I have heard they arent newb friendly and can even give the experienced enthusiast a tough time. Not saying your not experienced. I'm just saying they can be difficult to work with at times as it is part of their nature to be that way. Looking forward to what more you can get out of it. :)

Well has anyone experience BSOD rebooting after flashing to the new bios? I've experienced 3 reboots since reflashing last night.

Should I try reflashing? unfortunately I didn't have a floppy nor made a copy of my previous bios as I used the winflash option

Are you running stock? No problems with the latest bios here, just my OC.
something has to be different other than it being DDR3. There has to be a couple of upgrades on it, why else would you want to pay extra for DDR3.
The DDR3 board looks attractive, solely because we are at the limits of DDR2. Gave up overclocking any higher and decided to get the system stable and discovered the max OC on my RAM was DDR960 on this board. It would not do DDR 1003 on a 400fsb with ultra loose timings and jacked up voltage. That’s a problem with the memory controller and partly my RAM, however it did much better on the P5E. Problem is, even if I wanted to throw money at the issue to get a higher OC on the FSB, there is nothing better in DDR2 except crossing your fingers and hoping you get good sticks. I may try extensively with one stick to see if I can get anything better, because if the memory controller cannot run the RAM at DDR1000, then that could have been the reason I couldn’t run at 500fsb. DDR1000 is the minimum it takes to run 500fsb at the lowest divider.

Back