DFI strikes back with the DFI lanparty JR P45 T2RS

fsb@560
560.jpg

ok. now i am impressed. thank you so much pvhk. i'm a little sad i wasn't one of the first to get this board, but i'll get over it. i'm glad my doubts were killed. i'm also happy they included the floppy disc with raid drivers. it's a pita to install raid on the ga-g33m-ds2r. maybe it's just me, but still i like that i don't have to go to the store to buy floppies just for loading a driver one time...

now.... where's my 790gx dfi!!?!?!?! well that's a different topic....

I know this is a stretch but do you think it would be possible to use the P45 T2RS non-mATX BIOS and flash it on this? I recall this in the past that some mobo's were able to be updated with a different BIOS to enable other options?

Oh cool idea. Well if you have a bad BIOS flash, isn't there a way to get it back to the base version?

Well has anyone experience BSOD rebooting after flashing to the new bios? I've experienced 3 reboots since reflashing last night.

Should I try reflashing? unfortunately I didn't have a floppy nor made a copy of my previous bios as I used the winflash option

Did you clear your CMOS jumper?

Do you have a floppy drive?

Hope you have fixed this problem by now.

I did clear the CMOS, no floppy...been @ work all night and probably won't get to tweak around until next week when I get my 2nd x2...I'll get it figured out haha

Damn. My board isn't even here yet and I'm wondering if I should sell it and go with this instead. Any thoughts?

I highly doubt a mini ITX board can compete with a mATX board in the overclocking dept., especially with a 20/4 pin power configuration . I am impressed with the PCI-E slot on that mini ITX board though.

I would be more impressed if my board would actually work, it hangs at the splash screen.

the board is not mature, especially the bios....
Even with the last one 812, i have sometimes strange behavior : impossible to save my bios setting or to exit bios...:confused:
Otherwise: max fsb hit: 560 with e8500/8600.... fsb@600 is a no go in my case!

the board is not mature, especially the bios....
Even with the last one 812, i have sometimes strange behavior : impossible to save my bios setting or to exit bios...:confused:
Otherwise: max fsb hit: 560 with e8500/8600.... fsb@600 is a no go in my case!

I'm having some issues w/ rebooting still, gonna play around w/ it some more and try reflashing the bios to see if this helps.

pvhk, what VTT were you running at the OCs above? Lowest in bios is 1.21... Also, where are you seeing skew? Do you mean FSB Vref?

I know this is a stretch but do you think it would be possible to use the P45 T2RS non-mATX BIOS and flash it on this? I recall this in the past that some mobo's were able to be updated with a different BIOS to enable other options?
I thought about it... the latest fullATX board seems to have the same options and a more stable bios. Problem is, that is only safe to do if there is a removable bios chip so you can hotflash or it has a backup bios, otherwise you will brick the board! I thought I saw somewhere it was loading the backup bios, but I don't even know where the chip is on this board...

I did clear the CMOS, no floppy...been @ work all night and probably won't get to tweak around until next week when I get my 2nd x2...I'll get it figured out haha
Hit Ctrl-F1 a few times when it boots to force it to recover.

I recommend you guys disable the splash screen when trying to figure out your OC so you can see what the board is doing. It's the last option on the second or third page.

sleepeeg3:
on the main menu of the bios: hiting F9 key gives access to advanced menu in genius bios
my settings:

cpu clock0 skew: 200ps
cpu clock1 skew: 0ps

in cpu feature:
all is disabled except thermal management and core multi-processing

in voltage settings:
cpu vtt must be raised up to 1.38v (wrong value on my screenshot: it's not 1.10v!)
dram speed:333/667 selected

cpu gtl0/2 ref volt: 0.61x
cpu gtl1/3:0.61x
NB gtl :0.58x

I would be more impressed if my board would actually work, it hangs at the splash screen.
It might be a ram issue:

This board seems not to work properly with some sticks.
No boot with this board when using Gskill PC8000 PQ 2x2Gb from what i've seen

I'll agree on the Bios issues...

1 - with a usb stick plugged in, system won't boot at all (even though the usb stick is set as last boot device), not off dvd, or off hdd.
2 - booting off usb-dvd has been a bit erratic, most of the time fine, but sometimes stalling out.
3 - disabling the JSB controller in bios seems to kill all booting on the board, system just stalling at the drive ident.

I haven't dared try OCing yet... have barely gotten the system to boot reliably.

It might be a ram issue:

This board seems not to work properly with some sticks.
No boot with this board when using Gskill PC8000 PQ 2x2Gb from what i've seen

That is gay because I thought the GSkill was on DFI's approved list for this board.

Also it would not work with 2x2GB of Mushkin PC8500 Ascent.

Well at least I have some 2x1GB D9s floating around I can try, I am not giving up yet.

sleepeeg3:
on the main menu of the bios: hiting F9 key gives access to advanced menu in genius bios
my settings:

cpu clock0 skew: 200ps
cpu clock1 skew: 0ps
Cool - I will try that.

Finally did some methodical, setting by setting testing at my limit and don't think it will help much... The absolute limit it would post at is 470fsb. Think I have a bum board.

Here were my final settings:
NB Core: 1.6v
SB Core: 1.55v (default)
CPU VTT: 1.35v
CPU GTL 0/2 ref volt: 0.67x
CPU GTL 1/3 ref volt: 0.67x
NB GTL:0.63x
Clockgen voltage: 3.6v
In cpu feature: All is disabled except thermal management and core multi-processing
Dram speed:400/800 selected

Have read a higher GTL is needed for 65nm chips and this was backed up by testing. Lowering the NB GTL allowed me to go an extra few MHz. Clockgen voltage and NB had to be raised to those minimums - anything below would not post.

Thanks for that confirmation pissboy, settles the matter rather definitively.

does it matter? I'm not trying to be a smart ass, just honestly wondering if it really does make a difference since i read others saying pci 1.1 16x isn't even maxed out yet and pci 2.0 @ 8x is twice as fast

does it matter? I'm not trying to be a smart ass, just honestly wondering if it really does make a difference since i read others saying pci 1.1 16x isn't even maxed out yet and pci 2.0 @ 8x is twice as fast

You should brace for the benchmark epeeners. DUCK!

Next time you run CCC look at the specs of your card. Somewhere in there it should state if the HD4870x2 is a full 8x PCI 2.0 card.

In CCC my HD4850 is set at PCI 2.08x.

So I think that is where the "IC Switch" kicks in.

That is why your GPU-Z shows a full PCI 2.0 16x bandwidth with a single HD4870x2.

When you enable Xfire with 2xhd4870x2 you should see the rated DFI MB switch kick in at 8x PCI 2.0 for each PCI slot.

I think I figured it out.

Just created a working ABS profil for my rig!
abspvhk.jpg

NICE!

Hey did you have to do any type of BIOS update to support the E0 stepping technology that the E8600 has?

I'm thinking about going with an Q9550 that has the E0 stepping and think it would benfit us all to know this type of information.

I'm not sure anyone really knows. Only mATX users would consider running a high end video card in a deficient motherboard. Almost all the benchmarks are done using motherboards with PCIe2 16x only.

Tom's hardware has an older article which seems to suggest there is ample bandwidth, but they're doing so with older cards and low resolutions. The tweaktown article ( http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1472/6/intel_p45_vs_x48_crossfire_performance/index.html) shows that at high resolutions there is a performance difference between P45 (PCIe2 8x/8x) and X48 (PCIe2 16x/x16) in SLI. Since the results are on different motherboards and SLI its not a great test for a single card, but it does show a significant difference suggesting there may be some performance penalty.

Certainly since I'm wanting to run an aggressive card (4870x2) to power a 30" monitor it seems risky to use this DFI board which has half the standard bandwidth. After all, that card is going to be splitting the bandwidth between each GPU giving effectively PCIe2 4x to each? Though I guess in practice they're both sucking the same data off the motherboard. I find it hard to believe that wouldn't show up when gaming, though I'd love to see the benchmarks.

Hm, this article at Tom's hardware (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pci-express-2-0,1915-13.html) seems to suggest most games don't see much of a difference because they can hold all the textures needed in video memory. The exception being flight simulator which I guess is constantly loading textures from memory.

I assume SonDa5's 4870x2 is reporting x16 because it has an internal PCIe bridge in the card, but that doesn't change the fact it's only getting x8 from the motherboard.

... I do wish the P5Q-EM didn't have the idiotic SATA placement though, seems all the mATX motherboards are handicapped in some way.

Well my board is dead.

After the bios was reset for the two or three hundredth time, it failed to post. Pulled the CMOS jumper and battery for several hours, but it refuses to post and gets stuck in a reboot loop. BIOS is probably borked, but for all intents and purposes, the board is toast.

Tried changing the skew to 200 on CPU 0/2 to match pvhk's settings, but no boost from that. Bumped the VTT to 1.39v, which allowed me to post at 475MHz. Tried 500MHz, but no boot. Tried 480MHz and it never posted again...

sleepeeg3:
with quad core: the max fsb is 500/510 on this board...
A member on my french thread managed to post @500:
http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=407188
Did you try the strap 333/667
I tried 333/667 and everything in between, as long as the fsb was low enough.

It managed to post at 500fsb 2 times when I first got it. However, the highest it ever booted into Windows was ~450-460MHz.

Hm, this article at Tom's hardware (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pci-express-2-0,1915-13.html) seems to suggest most games don't see much of a difference because they can hold all the textures needed in video memory. The exception being flight simulator which I guess is constantly loading textures from memory.
I linked to that in the other thread... Why don't you guys discuss x8 / x16 in the video card section? Tweaktown article is bunk - it doesn't make a difference.

Back