Do you like the Doom3 flashlight/weapon limitation

No weapon mounted flashlight in Doom 3

• I don't like the idea

Votes: 134 36.6%
  • I like it because it makes the game more scary/challenging/etc.

Votes: 164 44.8%
  • I haven't played it yet and don't know what to think

Votes: 68 18.6%

• Total voters
Deathskythee said:
i havent play doom3 yet but dont the muzzle flash light up the room once you start shooting?

It might cast light on the monsters if they're right infront of your face, but generally if they're 20 feet away and in a dark room, the only sign you get that you're actually hitting them at all is if your target reticle turns red when you shoot at them.

then they'd bitch "you'd think in mars of the future they'd have batteries that last a long ass time!"

you can't please everyone. They bitch because it's too hard, then if its easy they bitch because it's too easy.

Smith said:
That would be a good way to plan scripted events.

Wondering through a dark hallway with your trusted flash light and the light fades away, leaving you in pitch dark with sounds all around you @_@.

Whatsisname said:
then they'd bitch "you'd think in mars of the future they'd have batteries that last a long ass time!"

you can't please everyone. They bitch because it's too hard, then if its easy they bitch because it's too easy.
I guess nobody should raise issues with any game ever because thats bitching and we certainly don't want that. Considering that 50% of the current poll dislikes the flashlight implementation, I think its a valid point.

Met-AL said:
No way would I use a flashlight if I was fire fighting in the dark. I would get out my NVG's and fix them to my Kevlar. Nothing like a flashlight to give the enemy your exact position.

But back to the topic at hand. I haven't played the game, but I never have used the flashlight in most games that included them unless it is totaly dark. Is Doom3 totaly dark?

lots of areas are very close to totally dark, you'll be using the flashlight plenty.

ruhk said:
I get pissed off because the zombies are professional olympic marksmen. I dont think one has yet to miss me. They seem to take multiple clips to take down too, I can see the ammo bounce off their armor.

Im running out of ammo :(

:edit - just picked up the plasma rifle, should be good for awhile

Hint: stick to shotgun for demons, save the rifle for the humanish demons with guns...
pistol is pretty useless, only used it right at the start until i got my shotgun, used the shotgun mostly.

shaocaholica said:
I guess nobody should raise issues with any game ever because thats bitching and we certainly don't want that. Considering that 50% of the current poll dislikes the flashlight implementation, I think its a valid point.

looks pretty even to me....36 36 39 ....

[edit]

you meant 50% of the people who have played and took part in the poll, 50% of the poll as a whole is incorrect ;)

Xtasy0 said:
looks pretty even to me....36 36 39 ....

[edit]

you meant 50% of the people who have played and took part in the poll, 50% of the poll as a whole is incorrect ;)
The third option doesn't count and you know it. Its just a filler so people wouldn't be forced to vote either way if they had never played it before.

Well, technically you can weild a weapon and a flash light.... the flashlight can be used as melee :p

But, of course, while you're clubbing your victim, the light is facing behind you.

What would have made sense would have been to be able to hold the flashlight and the pistol at the same time, one in each hand. I can see having to put down the light in order to use the shotgun, or machinegun, but the pistol... I think it would have been a good compromise between atmosphere and ease of play.

knyghtryda said:
What would have made sense would have been to be able to hold the flashlight and the pistol at the same time, one in each hand. I can see having to put down the light in order to use the shotgun, or machinegun, but the pistol... I think it would have been a good compromise between atmosphere and ease of play.
Ofcourse you can't use a flashlight and a larger 2 handed weapon at the same time. The point is that its odd that none of the guns in the game have built in lights. Its not like id just missed this, they deliberately made it so that you have to switch which I think is a bad way of making the game harder.

shaocaholica said:
Ofcourse you can't use a flashlight and a larger 2 handed weapon at the same time. The point is that its odd that none of the guns in the game have built in lights. Its not like id just missed this, they deliberately made it so that you have to switch which I think is a bad way of making the game harder.

that is pretty crappy. almost as bad as having something gimmicky like he passes out of too many monsters are in the room or something :rolleyes:

i'd have to agree that technologically it doesn't make much sense. also, where are the night vision or thermal imaging goggles? it makes no sense to not have some. hell, by 2145 i should think most people would have some sort of eye implant or even purely mechanical eyes that let them see light in different wavelengths and low intensities. :confused:

truffle00 said:
Or instead of duct taping it to the gun, you could always duct tape it to yourself...or hold it in your mouth if there is no duct tape...

omgomg_teh_flashl1ght!!!.jpg

the flashlight limitation isnt there to be logical. Its there solely to enhance fear and the feeling of vulnerability. I didnt like it at first, but grew to appreciate it.The game is much better because of it.

Seriously though, they could have added a mapped key to do handpuppets on the wall across the room to decoy the enemies. So I agree that the flashlight could have been done better.

Played some more last night. Trying hard to get used to all this toggling. I wish the flashlight toggle was a bit faster.

after playing it all freaking night I can honestly say that it does NOTHING but add aggrivation to the game. the radius it even lights up is small enough and off to the side enough that unless youre standing nowhere near a wall on your right side, and theres someone RIGHT in front of you a minimum of 10 feet away, you wont light them up. it DOESNT light the room up at all, and it ONLY is good for not walking directly into a wall, etc.

if its such a huge thing to have it out at the same time as a gun, then they shouldve at least made it worth it. unless the room is pitch black i dont even bother with it anymore.

very lame, id.

Xtasy0 said:
Hint: stick to shotgun for demons, save the rifle for the humanish demons with guns...
pistol is pretty useless, only used it right at the start until i got my shotgun, used the shotgun mostly.

I use the HG for unarmed zombies and imps in long hallways/big rooms. Just strafe and shoot the head. For armed zombies I hide around a corner and single shot to the head with the SG, MG for long distance down hallway.

I don't find it hard at all to switch between the light and gun, I mean EVERYTHING gives off a sound prior to seeing it so you have plenty of time to switch. Even then I am able to switch back and forth when fighting in a dark hallway.

The thing I hate is how the PDA breaks the flashlight/weapon switch.

Say I've got it set to swap between shotgun and light, and I'm on light and pull the pda out.

Unless I manually pick the shotgun again, hitting the swap button does nothing.

Why don't you whiners just turn on GOD mode and wait until the creatures come to you before killing it?

When I first heard that you couldn't use the flashlight and a weapon at the same time I thought it sounded stupid. However, now that I have played tha game some I think that it works really well for the setting.

ruhk said:
I get pissed off because the zombies are professional olympic marksmen. I dont think one has yet to miss me. They seem to take multiple clips to take down too, I can see the ammo bounce off their armor.

Im running out of ammo :(

:edit - just picked up the plasma rifle, should be good for awhile

Don't zombies and spawns of Satan come standard with "blood-vision" that allows them to see you wherever you are? :p

I mean...He does have TWO hands right? Whos to says that guy who can take demonic monsters clawing, biting and throwing fiery things at him cant hanlde holding a shotgun in one hand and a flashlight in the other ;) ;)

The muzzle flashes are definitely not bright enough, realistically. I think there is some global variable that can be adjusted for that. At least that might help with the rapid fire weapons.

shaocaholica said:
The muzzle flashes are definitely not bright enough, realistically. I think there is some global variable that can be adjusted for that. At least that might help with the rapid fire weapons.

There's a muzzle flash? I can fire in a dark room, and nothing happens. No light, no nothing. Machine gun or shotgun.

lopoetve said:
There's a muzzle flash? I can fire in a dark room, and nothing happens. No light, no nothing. Machine gun or shotgun.

thats what hes saying. pretty much they have to be in melee range to be lit up

another point for what ill do in my mod

I think mounting the flash light to the weapon woulda killed it, besides pistols would look funny with a flash light duct taped to it, though I woulda expected it on the machine gun.

The thing I hate is how the PDA breaks the flashlight/weapon switch....

What seems to be missing for me it similar to the unreal games a la "bestweapon" ??

If I have the flashlight up and need a good weapon this would be the thing I need in
a hurry. I could bind to the mouse or a button...but dont see it....

archevilangel said:
I think mounting the flash light to the weapon woulda killed it, besides pistols would look funny with a flash light duct taped to it, though I woulda expected it on the machine gun.

handguns can have lights on them, but with the style they chose, you could always have a light in the other hand

personally i think that a good compromise would be making the pistol more powerful, and having the ability to have the light and pistol out at the same time, but only for the pistol.

msny said:
What seems to be missing for me it similar to the unreal games a la "bestweapon" ??

If I have the flashlight up and need a good weapon this would be the thing I need in
a hurry. I could bind to the mouse or a button...but dont see it....

I think I may bind middle mouse to shotgun...

kronchev said:
thats what hes saying. pretty much they have to be in melee range to be lit up

another point for what ill do in my mod

I've been at point blank range and nothing. Dark room, spraying bullets to get the guys around me, and not a drop of light unless I pull out the flashlight... :confused:

shaocaholica said:
You don't have to duct tape anything. The point is that the technology is avaliable today. And we are what? 140 years into the future?

Well maybe 140 years in the future everyone will be fighting with some type of night vision eliminating light attachments on the weapon, although they never gave it to him since he wasn't supposed to be working in the dark.

Personally, I like not being able to use the flashlight at the same time as the weapons...it adds an extra degree of fun and challenge for me.

Although I think it would have been a nice balance to allow for the flashlight and the pistol to be used at the same time.

Xrave said:
...although they never gave it to him since he wasn't supposed to be working in the dark.
:rolleyes: So you think that you can just assign working in light or dark to someone especially a soldier? What are they supposed to do when night falls or the lights go out?

Would it be reasonable to make cars without headlights for those people who only drive during the day?

shaocaholica said:
Its pretty well known by now from all the advanced copies of D3 that you cannot use your gun and the flashlight at the same time. From reading others comments on gameplay and seeing a few videos, it seem that the thing to do is:

-Use flashlight to find monsters in dark areas
-Switch to weapon and shoot in the dark

What bothers me is that the concept of having a flashlight mounted on a weapon is as common as headlights on cars. Not to mention a ton of good FPSs use this concept(Halo, Farcry, HL...). I don't mind if id had the intention of making the game more challenging or scary but this move is just illogical. You don't make a racing game more challenging by having all night races with no head lights.

I haven't got my pre order of D3 yet so I haven't played this first hand but the concept itself and seeing the videos leaves me a bit disappointed. Perhaps this will be resolved in a simple mod for whiny bastard like me.

Whats your take?

they did it for game play of course. You are like "oh crap theres a demon, switch to weapon, HURRY UP!!!!! BAM - SHOTGUN! OH SHIT ITS NOT DEAD RELOAD YOU MOTHERF*#%^$ BAM BAM! ..... flip to flashlight to make sure it's dead.... PHEW!" without the flashlight you are just BAM BAM it is dead.

lopoetve said:
I've been at point blank range and nothing. Dark room, spraying bullets to get the guys around me, and not a drop of light unless I pull out the flashlight... :confused:

For some reason, muzzleflash is NOT enabled on some cards during the install of Doom. It was not turned on for me and I use a GF4 Ti4200.

Anyway, to turn this on so your muzzleflash DOES work do this:

Open your doomconfig.cfg file and look for the following line:

seta g_muzzleFlash

Make sure the value is set to "1" and not "0". Save the file. Your weapons will always show a muzzleflash when firing now. I did this and noticed NO performance hit and the little extra light helps when shooting bad guys.

Hope this helps.

JFF:D

shaocaholica said:
:rolleyes: So you think that you can just assign working in light or dark to someone especially a soldier? What are they supposed to do when night falls or the lights go out?

Would it be reasonable to make cars without headlights for those people who only drive during the day?

I don't want to get into a bitching contest over the semantics, the fact is the game was designed to only use the flashlight by itself to enhance the "darkness/suspense factor" and make the game more fightening.

I like it, some don't.

Back