Do you like the Doom3 flashlight/weapon limitation

No weapon mounted flashlight in Doom 3

• I don't like the idea

Votes: 134 36.6%
  • I like it because it makes the game more scary/challenging/etc.

Votes: 164 44.8%
  • I haven't played it yet and don't know what to think

Votes: 68 18.6%

• Total voters
I dont like it. I think it's a pain in the ass but it does make the game harder so that is kind of exciting I guess.

JustForFun said:
For some reason, muzzleflash is NOT enabled on some cards during the install of Doom. It was not turned on for me and I use a GF4 Ti4200.

Anyway, to turn this on so your muzzleflash DOES work do this:

Open your doomconfig.cfg file and look for the following line:

seta g_muzzleFlash

Make sure the value is set to "1" and not "0". Save the file. Your weapons will always show a muzzleflash when firing now. I did this and noticed NO performance hit and the little extra light helps when shooting bad guys.

Hope this helps.

JFF:D

Kthx coolnewbie++ :D ;)

Really, thanks :)

they should make the flashlight run on batteries. Can you imagine running around without a flashlight!

Servian said:
they should make the flashlight run on batteries. Can you imagine running around without a flashlight!

Actually you can enable that game mode by turning off your monitor....

I don't see the sense in having a flashlight on the end of your weapon... they're like tracers, they work both ways...

I'll trust to nightvision any day.

SSmith said:
I don't see the sense in having a flashlight on the end of your weapon... they're like tracers, they work both ways...

I'll trust to nightvision any day.

nightvision removes your 3d vision, your perifial (bad sp i know) vision, and if theres any lights, youre completly blind.

Sorry, i meant night vision. I.e. the way your eye adapts to the dark so you can see better. Not nightvision the green shit.

Plus, technically, I don't have peripheral vision anyways. They still let soldiers join the army without it, trust me, I know ;)

kronchev said:
nightvision removes your 3d vision, your perifial (bad sp i know) vision, and if theres any lights, youre completly blind.
Helmet-mounted NVG's don't eliminate peripheral vision, but they WILL reduce low-light pupil dilation/dark adaptation. The binocular devices don't eliminate "3D" vision either, just reduce it somewhat. Also, the current-generation NODs adapt very well to ambient light transients, especially compared to the early (and crappy) first-gen stuff.

That said, I don't think it's reasonable to expect anyone, even a Marine, to have a pair of nods with him at all times. I WOULD, however, expect him to be able to use a handgun and light simultaneously and/or improvise a weapon-mounted light. It's not a difficult concept for one who's trained to "Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome."

It's id's game, though, and they can do what they want with it. Fortunately, so can the modders! :D

2004- Sprinter Cell. With Night Vision. :rolleyes:
21XX - DOOM3 On MARS..with FLash LIGHT (Unlimited Battery or Fuel Cell !!!) :confused:

:p :D

Obviously the flashlight was a design decision. Now I "highly" reccomend playing through the game without any kind of flashlight mod, play it how it's meant to be played! It truly does enhance the experiance, plus there may be a point where you are supposed to be without a flashlight, but I won't offer any spoilers...

hughJ said:
If they simply had the flashlight battery have a short lifespan and the ability to recharge, and use it at the same time with (some?) weapons, i think it would have offered more variation to the gameplay. Requiring swapping constantly between flashlight and weapons is pretty clumsy gameplay.

If they had a recharging flashlight then this would be Half-Life.

Heh well Fistandantilus you should be happy to know that my pistol + flashlight mod shouldn't work in the same situation the flashlight doesn't work. I definately agree that people should play the game without that mod I made but if they don't want to thats fine with me.

Was an interesting first mod to try to make to learn how some things were being done.

put this in your DoomConfig.cfg file

bind "MOUSE2" "toggle r_gamma 1 2"

now when you right click it will toggle the gamma brighter enabling you to see more.
by the way, i voted for i like the current setup because i do think it adds a lot to the game, but if you want you can do this.

Im definitely going to play it through the way id wanted people to but Im still not 100% in agreement with how they did it. I wonder what kind of mods are being developed with respect to this issue? If I have any free time this next semester, I might see if I can whip something up. Would be nice to have a new model for the shotgun/machinegun with integrated lights and alt-fire melee attack.

zxdev said:
2004- Sprinter Cell. With Night Vision. :rolleyes:
21XX - DOOM3 On MARS..with FLash LIGHT (Unlimited Battery or Fuel Cell !!!) :confused:

:p :D

It's called inductive charging. With all the running around you do, you'd damn well better not run out of fuel. Mechanical energy to electrical energy.

I think it makes the game 100x's more life like when you have to run around with a flash light in the dark to get where you need to go.

But i do think it would be a good idea to have a mounted flashlight on some of the weapons!

I guess the way i look at it, is he just got stationed on Mars. He just started his work then he's being attacked my demons, yeah i like the fact that you can't use the flashlight while holding the gun. Hell you didn't even get a flashlight in the orginal Doom.

I'd like to thank whoever it was that suggesting binding the flashlight to mouse button 2. Great idea.

NotChunks said:
Duct tape it? That will happen... I've shot compeditively for almost 8 years now. Theres no way you could aim with a mag-lite duct taped to the side of your pistol or shotgun. However, it is quite easy to shoot a pistol while holding a flashlight (place the flashlight in your left hand and rest your right hand on your wrist while in the weaver stance). I think it was more of a gameplay issue that id made than a realism issue.

Please guys, dont turn into the Official Counter-Strike forum: "Omgz!!!! T3h colt isnt realistic enough because the recoil is 4.9049472342% off from the bullet coming out of the guN!!!"

Word up! I've been hunting for sport since I was 7, and a shotgun itself is pretty heavy if you have to hold it ready for an extended period of time. Adding extra weight to the end of the barrel would be illogical. Props to another shooter!

my $0.02

At first I thought "man this is gonna suck bigtime" but after playing this game for 6+ hours and bindning the quickswitch key to the mouse 2 button... I realized that this is awesome... it really makes the game for me... Most FPS like farcry and half life with gun mounted lights or nightvision make it so there is no tension... Every time in Doom 3 when I go into a room and I hear that loud POP and all the lights go out and then I hear the Devilish laugh I feel like running home to mommy...I quickly switch to my flashlight and I *feel* like man, I want to be anywhere but here right now... I have never had a game make me feel that way before... There is just no suspense or tension in those other games cause you know you can see well... In doom 3 when the above happens and you start hearing the monsters I am frantically looking around the room with the flashlight... I just cant state enough how awesome it is to have a game make me feel something for a change...

G

gthompson20 said:
Most FPS like farcry and half life with gun mounted lights or nightvision make it so there is no tension... Every time in Doom 3 when I go into a room and I hear that loud POP and all the lights go out and then I hear the Devilish laugh I feel like running home to mommy...I quickly switch to my flashlight and I *feel* like man, I want to be anywhere but here right now... I have never had a game make me feel that way before... There is just no suspense or tension in those other games cause you know you can see well... In doom 3 when the above happens and you start hearing the monsters I am frantically looking around the room with the flashlight... I just cant state enough how awesome it is to have a game make me feel something for a change...

G

My thoughts exactly.

ownerizer said:
Word up! I've been hunting for sport since I was 7, and a shotgun itself is pretty heavy if you have to hold it ready for an extended period of time. Adding extra weight to the end of the barrel would be illogical. Props to another shooter!
For the record, adding a ~5 ounce light to a ~7 pound weapon isn't going to make much difference in handling. It will, however, have a huge impact on operational efficiency in a dark environment.

Mounting lights on tactical rifles, carbines, shotguns, and even handguns is common practice in the real world. More so all the time.

i like the no/flashlight idea, but wish it were only for two handed weapons. You should be able to use one with a pistol in your other hand...

MiXdNuTs said:
Please tell me where I can find the mod that puts the flashlight on my guns...

If you use a mod that adds the flashlight to a gun or use the dev tool that adds permenant gamma to where you're pointing, you're totally taking away from the way the game was meant to be played.

Xrave said:
If you use a mod that adds the flashlight to a gun or use the dev tool that adds permenant gamma to where you're pointing, you're totally taking away from the way the game was meant to be played.
So? Isn't the point to have fun? If your argument is against anything that changes the gameplay then what about all other mods? Look at the co-op mod thats in development. That totally changes the game(especially the scary parts) but its made to be enjoyed which is the point.

ownerizer said:
Your hunting experiences sure make you smart.

Hal|9k said:
For the record, adding a ~5 ounce light to a ~7 pound weapon isn't going to make much difference in handling.

Sure it will if you put it at the end of the weapon. Its called this thing torque. Now put it back where you hold it and yeah it won't make a difference. Heh and it doesn't look like a 5 ounce flashlight the Doom Marine carries around :p

Oh and here you go for flashlight on a pistol http://www.geocities.com/cryect/pistolflashlight.html

If you want a flamethrower well over here http://www.geocities.com/cryect/flamethrower.html

Posted by Teh_AGENT
I'd like to thank whoever it was that suggesting binding the flashlight to mouse button 2. Great idea.

Ditto on that. it makes switching much more intuitive. my button two was bound to jump by default, I'm not sure why... haven't done much jumping. :p

MiXdNuTs said:
Please tell me where I can find the mod that puts the flashlight on my guns...

im making one. the flashlight that you use is SO CRAPPY that it wont make the game "less fun", in fact itll make it MORE fun because all you can see is right in front of you, it helps when shooting stuff, but its more creepy when stuff runs in front of you and you try to see it and shoot it but you can only see part of it in the crappy light

Cryect said:
Sure it will if you put it at the end of the weapon. Its called this thing torque. Now put it back where you hold it and yeah it won't make a difference. Heh and it doesn't look like a 5 ounce flashlight the Doom Marine carries around :p

Oh and here you go for flashlight on a pistol http://www.geocities.com/cryect/pistolflashlight.html

If you want a flamethrower well over here http://www.geocities.com/cryect/flamethrower.html

PLEASE GIVE ME INFO ON HOW TO MAKE MODS, NO ONE ELSE IS HELPING ME

kronchev AT gmail DOT com

Cryect said:

Nice job. I'm gonna finish once without the FL mod, but I'll use it for the later passes through the game.

Cryect said:
Ok, let me rephrase, for the sake of clarity. Installing a ~5 ounce light on a ~7 pound weapon DOES NOT have any significant impact on handling, even if you DID strap it to the end of the barrel (which nobody actually does). I'm talking about reality, not theoretical videogame physics. "Torque" has nothing to do with it.

As for the mods you posted, thanks!

Hal|9k said:
Ok, let me rephrase, for the sake of clarity. Installing a ~5 ounce light on a ~7 pound weapon DOES NOT have any significant impact on handling, even if you DID strap it to the end of the barrel (which nobody actually does). I'm talking about reality, not theoretical videogame physics. "Torque" has nothing to do with it.

As for the mods you posted, thanks!

In all seriousness you're not target shooting or sniping to begin with, you're mainly shooting from the hip. You could strap a brick to your weapon and still have the same accuracy and probably less scatter under auto or burst fire with a brick on the end of your weapon. If you were to duct tape a bigass flashlight to the barrel guard of your weapon it would not melt off from barrel heat and get the job done. Apparently in 2045 the marines never thought to include duct tape in the MTOE for the Mars base, or it's just locked in one of those false-front cabinets that are just there for show, but you really can't open.

Ok, everyone is talking about how unrealistic it is to not have a flashlight mounted weapon. How realistic is it for 1 person to be able to carry 10 large weapons at the same time and instantly switch to any of them at will? Most people only have 2 arms. The average human being could carry one large weapon, (ie: shotgun or machine gun) 1 side arm, and 1 knife. In this particular respect, Halo is one of the most realistic 3d shooters.

So if you guys want to bitch about not being realistic, you need to bitch about 90% of all 3d shooters.

jchahn said:
Ok, everyone is talking about how unrealistic it is to not have a flashlight mounted weapon. How realistic is it for 1 person to be able to carry 10 large weapons at the same time and instantly switch to any of them at will? Most people only have 2 arms. The average human being could carry one large weapon, (ie: shotgun or machine gun) 1 side arm, and 1 knife. In this particular respect, Halo is one of the most realistic 3d shooters.

So if you guys want to bitch about not being realistic, you need to bitch about 90% of all 3d shooters.
The main difference is that being able to carry 10 huge ass weapons is a positive and makes the game fun yet unrealistic. Not having a weapon mounted flashlight is a negative and is unrealistic. People tend to bitch about the negatives more than the positives.

That's very true, but some people like ultra-realistic shooters. That's why BF1942 is so popular, and Desert Combat, and Counter-Strike.

jchahn said:
That's very true, but some people like ultra-realistic shooters. That's why BF1942 is so popular, and Desert Combat, and Counter-Strike.

If you consider realistic as: shooting through solid walls, running at super-human speeds, and being able to land head-shots no matter where you're aiming. :D

it's just a game ya weirdo's. why don't we start nitpicking on nearly every other game/movie while we're at it? it adds to the atmosphere. deal with it.

kronchev said:
im making one. the flashlight that you use is SO CRAPPY that it wont make the game "less fun", in fact itll make it MORE fun because all you can see is right in front of you, it helps when shooting stuff, but its more creepy when stuff runs in front of you and you try to see it and shoot it but you can only see part of it in the crappy light

While I wouldn't go so far as to say "SO CRAPPY", I would pretty much agree here. The flashlight only really lights what's in front of you. Even if you were able to equip it with weapons it wouldn't kill the dark and scary feel of the game.

That said, I'm the type of person who tries to enjoy their games rather than bitch about them. I've gotten used to the flashlight and I'm not too worried about it. Could it have been done better? I think so, but what's done is done and I'm not going to let something so minor ruin the game for me.

Back