Doom 3 on 110" Screen with 7.1 audio

I should of browsed this thread while on the can, cause I just shitted my pants. :eek:

lol... thx guys... I'll see about some more pix tomorrow. Far Cry mulitplayer is pretty funny though. You can see people so easily as everything is so big. Kinda cheap actually... muahaha :D

neways... peace out for tonite.

you can set doom3 to run on custom resolutions like 1280x720, if i wasn't half asleep i would hit the search button and find it. something about setting
r_customHeight -- custom screen height
r_customWidth -- custom screen width
and i think r_mode to -1 or something

Heres another shot with lights on, and from further back. I meant to take some really late last night when its completely dark out, so that there is no ambient light. I'll try to get some tonight with doom 3.

pic9.jpg

Why must I constantly be reminded of how much cool stuff there is out there that I don't have or cannot buy? WHY!@#$!$

haha, jk, that's just sweet dude.

plink said:
Heres another shot with lights on, and from further back. I meant to take some really late last night when its completely dark out, so that there is no ambient light. I'll try to get some tonight with doom 3.

pic9.jpg

Is it me or is the screen a little slanted? :p

To see a set up like that, deserves a comment from me. Great work, but don't spend all of your money cause next week something else will come out better ;)

ezkill said:
To see a set up like that, deserves a comment from me. Great work, but don't spend all of your money cause next week something else will come out better ;)

Yup and then I'll buy it.... You can't see it, but just outside that window is my 2004 WRX STI.... :D (just to rub it in....) ...btw, I'm dead serious.

Just curious how many feet is there from the wall image to the sofa? I'm thinking of setting up a projector based home theater myself, but dont know if the basement is too small

neoreturns said:
Just curious how many feet is there from the wall image to the sofa? I'm thinking of setting up a projector based home theater myself, but dont know if the basement is too small

Actually its very close... only 9-10 feet. My projector is about 14-16 feet away, but the PLV Z2 is a short throw projector, meaning even at close range it can output a large image. If you don't have a lot of space you will want a projector like this.

plink said:
Actually its very close... only 9-10 feet. My projector is about 14-16 feet away, but the PLV Z2 is a short throw projector, meaning even at close range it can output a large image. If you don't have a lot of space you will want a projector like this.

Awesome thanks!

I've got around 11 feet from the couch, and I wasn't too sure if the image would have been too close

Wouldnt a much quieter case be the key for this setup.... noisey PC doesnt belong in this picture.

Very sweet! you're making me think of hooking up my pc to my hdtv as well for that farcry goodness! hehe. I imagine you're all hooked with wireless mouse and kb?

And yeah, looking at that, I think I should have gone for such a projector instead of the hdtv... damn! ;P

uwackme said:
Wouldnt a much quieter case be the key for this setup.... noisey PC doesnt belong in this picture.

I do have fan controls on this comp, but its at the back of my room anyway so you cant really hear it. The projector's fan is actually louder...

Couple of questions..

Is it harder to play games on such a large screen? I find it weird sitting more than 3 feet away from my monitor. Is aiming easier (bigger targets?) or harder? I assume all that video is hard for the eyes to focus on, it's like sitting in the first few rows of the movie theatre (obviously the screens at movies are bigger...)

now how easy would it be to have the projector as a tv too? I was thinking about doing exactly what you have done, only with a tv also. So I could game then turn the computer off and watch some tv. Is this a good idea? Image quality and price per inch wise?

Plink, can you explain how you worked/configured your sound?
Are you just running it in PCM stereo or are you actually utilizing 5.1+ sound?
I ask because I have tried running various outputs on my system to various inputs on my receiver, but can never get 5.1 sound, only stereo. For example, DFI's Infinity 875 has SPDIF on-board, and I ran that to my digitial input on my receiver. However, I could not force the receiver to do anything but Stereo. Granted, it was very nice stero sound, but I was really aiming for 5.1. I know all setups are different, but any input you can provide can surely help not only myself, but others having similar complications.

Siegfried said:
Very sweet! you're making me think of hooking up my pc to my hdtv as well for that farcry goodness! hehe. I imagine you're all hooked with wireless mouse and kb?

And yeah, looking at that, I think I should have gone for such a projector instead of the hdtv... damn! ;P

I actually don't run wireless.... (cant stand it... just user preference) So what I did is I rigged up some usb extension cables that run underneath the carpet and couches and everything... I have a spot where they come up out of the floor where I 'Jack Into.' It's completely hidden so when the keyboard and mouse aren't attached you cant even see it. (pretty much the only way my wife would let me hook it up... as most women don't like to see wires everywhere.)

Valen said:
Couple of questions..

Is it harder to play games on such a large screen? I find it weird sitting more than 3 feet away from my monitor. Is aiming easier (bigger targets?) or harder? I assume all that video is hard for the eyes to focus on, it's like sitting in the first few rows of the movie theatre (obviously the screens at movies are bigger...)

Well, from a perspective point of view... (how much of the image is actually filling your entire visual range) I have it setup so its almost as big as sitting in an imax theatre in the middle row... lol... so its damn big...

It does take some adjustment time, for your eyes to get used to everything. But once they do, you become leathal in ANY multiplayer game. I can pick out targets much easier as you can notice movement and see objects much more easily. I've actually been kicked from many games for (so called) cheating... As in many cases they say I can see them but they couldnt see me... Or if a spectator is following me and watching me shoot someone halfway across the map that they cant even see on their little monitor. lol.... You do find yourself having to 'look around' the actual screen tho. As you cant just focus on the center and see everything at once. But you quickly get used to this, and assume much ass kicking in a short period of time.

ReconSniper said:
now how easy would it be to have the projector as a tv too? I was thinking about doing exactly what you have done, only with a tv also. So I could game then turn the computer off and watch some tv. Is this a good idea? Image quality and price per inch wise?

I actually do this. That is one of the things this projector is made for. HDTV!! Looks damn amazing. And all it is to switch from gaming to tv is one click of the input button on the projector remote...

JBrainerd said:
Plink, can you explain how you worked/configured your sound?
Are you just running it in PCM stereo or are you actually utilizing 5.1+ sound?
I ask because I have tried running various outputs on my system to various inputs on my receiver, but can never get 5.1 sound, only stereo. For example, DFI's Infinity 875 has SPDIF on-board, and I ran that to my digitial input on my receiver. However, I could not force the receiver to do anything but Stereo. Granted, it was very nice stero sound, but I was really aiming for 5.1. I know all setups are different, but any input you can provide can surely help not only myself, but others having similar complications.

When I decided on how to do my setup, I researched the many different options and sound cards. I chose to go with the sound blaster audigy z2 because of 7.1 support, which I already use for my home theatre viewing. Now here is the problem with computer pc cards.... if you run digital the max you will get is 5.1 ... possibly 6.1 if you choose a different sound card. So what I have done, is I have scrapped running digital from my pc. (all my other sources are digital tho; dvd player, xbox, ps2) So instead, I actually run analog from my pc.

As most of you know (that own this card) the sound blaster audigy z2 has 3x 1/8" analog plugs on the back. If you look at the manual you will know that between the 3 plugs the soundcard outputs 8 signals. 7 for the surround speakers and 1 for the sub. Now the key here is to find cables that will work for you. I needed some 1/8" miniport to RCA cables for my amp. As it (my amp) has an Ext in on the back with 8 rca ports. It turns out that creative labs are all bitches and you cant just buy their 7.1 cable separately. So I went online and found me some camvid cables that carry 3 signals.... You need 2 of these and then one normal stereo cable to run all 8 channels...

Once done, you have true 7.1 audio. The only problem is finding games that use it. Though I can use my amps hardware coolness to upmix the audio to 7.1 when inputing any type of signal. (even 2.1) and it actually does a really good job. Though I really only use this for music, and for changing my 5.1/6.1 digital signals into a 7.1 signal. As there aren't any true 7.1 dvd movies out yet.

Instead of explaining in even more confusing detail, I will take some pix tonight of what I'm talking about.

Wow! Very nice! I've always dreamed of gaming on a projector, and seeing this makes me feel all good inside. But, I also hate you, because you can afford all of this, and a brand new STi.

Have you figured out how to get a digital 5.1 output from Doom 3 with an Audigy 2?

I thought Doom 3 doesn't support Dolby Digital. I know the XBox version willl.

-Ed

Edwood said:
Have you figured out how to get a digital 5.1 output from Doom 3 with an Audigy 2?

I thought Doom 3 doesn't support Dolby Digital. I know the XBox version willl.

-Ed

Doom 3 doesn't support 'Dolby Digital' but that doesnt mean you cant use a digital outs like coaxal or optical. Which you could plug into an existing setup or to supported pc speakers. On the Audigy Z2 there is an spdif coaxal port on the back which I have ran to the digital coaxal in on my amp. This is a 5.1 signal. And I have no trouble playing doom 3 over this. Tho it is not in dolby digital or dts or any other audio mode like that. Its just a standard 5 channel signal. Like it would be if you ran analog instead. Only benifit over analog is of course the audio quality.

My receiver does not detect 5.1, but I guess it would only list that if it was dolby digital. While I do get sound, it does not sound like 5.1

When I try to select "surround speakers" option, it keeps giving me an error like " no surround speakers detected."

Argh!

-Ed

Edwood said:
My receiver does not detect 5.1, but I guess it would only list that if it was dolby digital. While I do get sound, it does not sound like 5.1

When I try to select "surround speakers" option, it keeps giving me an error like " no surround speakers detected."

Argh!

-Ed

Hmm... what kind of receiver is it? Does it only support Dolby Digital?

Yup.

In fact, I use the same computer as a HTPC and play DVD's on it, all with glorious DD 5.1 Surround.

That's why I'm baffled.

Do I need to hook up analog wires to all the Audigy 2's outputs to trick it into thinking it's outputting analog 5.1 sound, in order to get Doom3 to switch to surround sound?

-Ed

Awesome setup, i want surround sound! I have that computer case for my main box, i can't believe you leave those anoying blue lights on the front on though, that was the first thing i unplugged when i got that case from newegg :p

Edwood said:
Yup.

In fact, I use the same computer as a HTPC and play DVD's on it, all with glorious DD 5.1 Surround.

That's why I'm baffled.

Do I need to hook up analog wires to all the Audigy 2's outputs to trick it into thinking it's outputting analog 5.1 sound, in order to get Doom3 to switch to surround sound?

-Ed

Actually I think thats why its NOT working, because your amp only supports dolby digital. What you can do, if your amp has an ext analog in, is scrap the digital all together and just go with analog.

-=jaz=- said:
Awesome setup, i want surround sound! I have that computer case for my main box, i can't believe you leave those anoying blue lights on the front on though, that was the first thing i unplugged when i got that case from newegg :p

Well, I guess I just haven't unplugged em... lol. I only bought the case cause it was dirt cheap, and had fan ports on the top and sides. I scrapped the powersupply that came with it though and run an Antec 480 watt trueblue instead.

Here is mine:

ht.jpg

speaker covers off for effect :p

its a Hitachi 57SWX20b it has been ISF'd as well. but its about half the site as the 110" screen, that thing is just HUGE lol

what he says is right, you cant see how crisp it really is when you see it trough a picture

PC still under construction, but this is it so far:

A64 3500+
1gig OCZ PC3700EB
9800PRO (until I buy new card, this will do)

NEODARK said:
Here is mine:

speaker covers off for effect :p

its a Hitachi 57SWX20b it has been ISF'd as well. but its about half the site as the 110" screen, that thing is just HUGE lol

what he says is right, you cant see how crisp it really is when you see it trough a picture

PC still under construction, but this is it so far:

A64 3500+
1gig OCZ PC3700EB
9800PRO (until I buy new card, this will do)

(oh i see... so thats how it is?... speaker covers off eh?? hmmm .... ill be back in a bit.)

lol..anyways.. .Not too shabby at all. I wish I was further along in Doom 3 so I could show off some different screenshots.... Unfortunetely I'm only at the alpha labs right now. (only played an hour or so, which is also why I have more shots of far cry) I'm sure you can relate to this, big screens definetely make the game better. Or anything for that matter.

Nice setup. I strongly recommend getting the Stewart Firehawk screen. Maybe I am bias though because that's the setup I use. Sharp is making some phenomenal projectors lately though. I havent played any games on it yet, im too lazy to bring my pc/xbox down to the media room :( Here are pics of my setup.

Stewart Filmscreen FireHawk 100" Screen w/ Luxus Deluxe Screenwall
Yamaha DPX-1000 DLP Projector
Yamaha RXV-2400 Receiver
Boston Acoustics VR970 front, VR920 Center, VRMXB rear surrounds.

IMG_0267%20(Medium).JPG

IMG_0261%20(Medium).JPG

How would a new xga projector that has 3500 ansi lumens and a contrast ration of 800:1 stack up to these Plink / Oneshot?

Incog

Back