Doom 3 on 110" Screen with 7.1 audio

NEODARK said:
Here is mine:

ht.jpg
Sweet christ on a cracker, thats is a baddass setup. How are you going to your TV? I have a 40" HDTV but figured i would get better rez on my CRT. I would LOVE to play on my tv if the rez is good enough!!

If you want it to work in widescreen mode, adjust your FOV, increase it to like 110 or 120 (default is 90) should work fine...

And before you ask, yes it can be done, can't remember the exact command, but I have tested it.

seta g_fov 120

That said, im not sure the FOV is only increased horizontally. Seems like its not truly widescreen, although it does help!

Hey guys. I am running a hdvt setup for quake 3 and general computing my self. In doom 3 you can get widescreen resolutions. I have an ati card with the DVI component dongle and I can get perfect widescreen by changing the resolution in the ini and changing r_mode to "-1" . I run in 1152x864 (1080i) and it looks like its perfect without any FOV changes. Other resolutions to try for widescreen (if you vid card can handle it) are 864x648, 1776x1000 and 1152x648. These all work with Ati cards without overscan on my setup. Running normal pc resolutions like 800x600, 1024x768, etc require powerstrip and a lot of messing around. If any of you guys have had issues getting these standard resolutions to work email me at [email protected] and I will send you my customer powerstrip.ini file. As far as I know these timings only work on ati cards but I could be wrong.

Incognito said:
How would a new xga projector that has 3500 ansi lumens and a contrast ration of 800:1 stack up to these Plink / Oneshot?

Incog

You don't want to get a projector unless its contrast ratio is above 1000:1. Lumens doesn't mean much these days as most manufacturers lie about it anyway. My projector does 1300:1 for a contrast ratio, and its WXGA. Which I would muchly recommend over just xga.

Deimos said:
If you want it to work in widescreen mode, adjust your FOV, increase it to like 110 or 120 (default is 90) should work fine...

And before you ask, yes it can be done, can't remember the exact command, but I have tested it.

Yes I know. I have done it.... But its still fake! The game is still stretching it. lol... trust me... Doom 3 can't do what I'm wanting it to. I've talked to id software, and in the future it will be applied in a patch.

aphexddb said:
seta g_fov 120

That said, im not sure the FOV is only increased horizontally. Seems like its not truly widescreen, although it does help!

Correct! Not true widescreen.

turdhat said:
Hey guys. I am running a hdvt setup for quake 3 and general computing my self. In doom 3 you can get widescreen resolutions. I have an ati card with the DVI component dongle and I can get perfect widescreen by changing the resolution in the ini and changing r_mode to "-1" . I run in 1152x864 (1080i) and it looks like its perfect without any FOV changes. Other resolutions to try for widescreen (if you vid card can handle it) are 864x648, 1776x1000 and 1152x648. These all work with Ati cards without overscan on my setup. Running normal pc resolutions like 800x600, 1024x768, etc require powerstrip and a lot of messing around. If any of you guys have had issues getting these standard resolutions to work email me at [email protected] and I will send you my customer powerstrip.ini file. As far as I know these timings only work on ati cards but I could be wrong.

Still not true widescreen. Just a stretch hack....

Request for closing this thread, and banning all who posted pictures.

Damnit, now I am seriously thinking of turning my basement into a media room. Agghhhhh.

I set up my projector out of a friends window at his dorm and focused it on the side of the dorm next to his. We were playing Halo and old school nintendo games with a two story tall picture.

I thought one comment was good enough for this thread. I was wrong. I see now the second best part of the 110" screen, the legos at the bottom of the picture. You the man.

ezkill said:
I thought one comment was good enough for this thread. I was wrong. I see now the second best part of the 110" screen, the legos at the bottom of the picture. You the man.

LOL! I was waiting for someone to notice.... Makes great home decor!! (I have it all over the house)

Well, TIME for more pix! I went home at lunch and took some more shots... I'll get more of DOOM 3 tonight when its dark, the pix of doom 3 aren't turning out because of the sunlight from outside.

I have included two pictures of the back of my amp and the back of my comp for those of you wondering how I did my audio hookup. Its hard to see but there is actually 3 cables coming out of the soundcard. 2 blue and 1 black. The blue cables are the special camvid cables that carry 3 signals each. In the picture of my amp, you can see the Ext In with its 8 rca connectors. 6 blue 2 black.

The pic below I took from the back of the room so you can actually see the entire layout and everything a bit better than some of the last pix I took. (Its blurry because the shutter speed is turned way down, and I'm holding the camera up by the ceiling.)

pic10.jpg

pic11.jpg

pic12.jpg

pic13.jpg

pic14.jpg

The widescreen picture above was taken using 3 shots so there is some weird stuff in the pic from quick photoshop editing. The pictures were taken from the top of my back 2 speakers.

I think I just spooged in my underwear. I have a question about your projector. Actually, two. How long is the bulb life for your projector, and how much does it cost to replace?

i also want to get a projector, but the cables alone will cost me a fortune (running a cable from computer to ceiling)..

mjz_5 said:
i also want to get a projector, but the cables alone will cost me a fortune (running a cable from computer to ceiling)..

That is why you either buy from someplace like Parts Express or build them yourself. ;)

shadow74205 said:
I think I just spooged in my underwear. I have a question about your projector. Actually, two. How long is the bulb life for your projector, and how much does it cost to replace?

Bulb life is approx. 3000 hours and they are about 600 dollers canadian to replace.

plink said:
Lol.... thats actually 2" split loom tubing.... Inside is all my wires:

1x - 3 socket power extension cord
1x - DVI-I cable
3x - Component Cables (one cable for each signal)
1x - S Video Cable (for running older stuff like vcrs and such)
1x - Composite Cable (for playing life-size Super Mario on snes and N64) lol, basically just for the heck of it.

these cables must have cost you alot of $$$.. where in canada did u buy this stuff, cause i also live up there :)

plink said:
big screens definetely make the game better. Or anything for that matter.

I can disprove part of that statement in two words "Video Tape"

Since I got my Hitachi 57" (57G or F500) I can't watch tapes anymore, DVD's are awesome, HD cable is awsome, computer gaming is awesome but videotapes make me ill. as do cheap production studio TV, like G4. you can really see the detail or lack thereof with a bigscreen

Jake said:
That is why you either buy from someplace like Parts Express or build them yourself. ;)

I built my component cables myself. Bought 75 feet of coaxal cable and cut it into 3 exact lengths. Bought ends from radioshack and attached. Total cost of the 3 25 foot cables with gold ends = 50 dollers canadian. Total cost if I would have purchased from monster cable.... 500 dollers. And there is ZERO difference in quality. My dvd player also has a dvi-i port on it and I have compared the two. No diff in quality or color. The 20 foot DVI-I dual link cable that runs to the projector was 50 bux cdn from memoryexpress. If I would have bought a technically 'pro' one it would have been hundreds of dollers more. Svideo are cheap and so are composite. 30-40 bux each.

My advice on cables... Don't buy the 'so called' best there is. Because your just ripping yourself off. I could have easily spent 3000 dollers on cables. Instead I spent around 1000. (lncluding speaker cables and ends and everything) I definetely don't buy the cheapest out there, but it's definetely a waste to buy monster cable or any rip off brand like that. I've seen them side by side with cheaper brands and they are identical. I do run 12 gauge and 10 gauge speaker cable though, which is recommended for high end speakers.

RagingSamster said:

Since I got my Hitachi 57" (57G or F500) I can't watch tapes anymore, DVD's are awesome, HD cable is awsome, computer gaming is awesome but videotapes make me ill. as do cheap production studio TV, like G4. you can really see the detail or lack thereof with a bigscreen

LOL!!!! too funny. And too true for that matter. Your right, video tapes definetely look awful.

--Edit-- Let me rephrase that.... VHS tapes look awful.

mjz_5 said:
these cables must have cost you alot of $$$.. where in canada did u buy this stuff, cause i also live up there :)

Any computer cable I bought from www.memoryexpress.com in Calgary, Alberta. All my home theatre cables were purchased from Visions. I have a VIP account there so they give me cost plus 7 percent.

Jake said:

tbhat right

stick with Canare or Belden 5 channel video stuff. Problem solved one shot.

by the way for true 16x9 resolution

1280x720 as that will match the LCD projector pixel for pixel. Otherwise the PJ will scale and that introduces artifacts.

plink said:
Yes the PLV Z2 is new. (1 month old) I forgot to mention though, that I live in Canada, so that is 2700 in canadian funds. (and also with gst) It was $2500 cdn without. Which is actually closer to 1500 US. The denon amp is awsome. I recommend it to anyone looking for a kick ass 7.1 setup for reasonable money. ($2000 canadian) And the psb's... don't even get me started. So crisp, so tight, and soooo loud! Though I payed $5,000 just for the speakers. (yes, canadian) I have compared my projector to new high end HD televisions, and in my opinion it blows them out of the water. Plus, I can take my projector at night, turn it so it points out the window. And play DOOM 3 on the side of the house across the street. Then everyone on my side of the street watches me kill evil demons. And if I turn up my volume, everyone can hear it as well. lol.
OMG, you are crazy, man. Im telling ya. Well, you sure have a sweet setup. But one thing your projector can't beat wide screen monitors such as HP L2335 which supports resolutions up to 1920x1200 (native). Think about how much you have to pay if you go get a projector with the same native resolution. Also, I think the new Denon 3805 is slightly better than the 3803 which is by all means not a bad receiver at all.

RagingSamster said:

Plink said:
LOL!!!! too funny. And too true for that matter. Your right, video tapes definetely look awful.

hmm

not all tapes. ;)

Apparently you have not seen what D-VHS is all about. This is what HD DVD will be without the tape ;)

ImLazZzy said:
OMG, you are crazy, man. Im telling ya. Well, you sure have a sweet setup. But one thing your projector can't beat wide screen monitors such as HP L2335 which supports resolutions up to 1920x1200. Also, I think the new Denon 3805 is slightly better than the 3803 which is by all means not a bad receiver at all.

Yup, you have a good point. I cannot run those resolutions. Which is a shame. I will be upgrading my projector though once you can run those resolutions. :D

The diff between the 3805 and 3803 is just two years. Same model just newer, with a few small tweaks and added features. Definetely not worth an upgrade. I'll be going to a 4805 if I do that.

figgie said:
Apparently you have not seen what D-VHS is all about. This is what HD DVD will be without the tape ;)

No I haven't... although I have shelves full of garage sale bait now...

on an unrelated subject, what keyboard/mice do you use for your setups? I've been bouncing back and forth between the standard and bluetooth version of Logitech's elite duo and although I'd like to save money if I can, I want the rig to work, but if I can save a C note I can live without bluetooth.

The last lan I had at my house I had my rig hooked up to the bigscreen, but sat on the floor with the keyboard and mouse on the coffee table - and four hours later could barely move my shoulders LOL

Jake said:

can a noob do it? Honestly, though, i want to try this out.

RagingSamster said:
No I haven't... although I have shelves full of garage sale bait now...

on an unrelated subject, what keyboard/mice do you use for your setups? I've been bouncing back and forth between the standard and bluetooth version of Logitech's elite duo and although I'd like to save money if I can, I want the rig to work, but if I can save a C note I can live without bluetooth.

The last lan I had at my house I had my rig hooked up to the bigscreen, but sat on the floor with the keyboard and mouse on the coffee table - and four hours later could barely move my shoulders LOL

I use the logitech elite (wired) and the microsoft intellimouse (wired 4 button) My couches are low (but wide and deep) and my coffee table is low. (same height as the couch) So its actually quite comfortable playing while sitting on the couch and using the coffee table as my desk/mousepad. Tho I will usually sit back every hour and play with my keyboard on my lap and the mouse on the leather seat beside me.

mjz_5 said:
can a noob do it? Honestly, though, i want to try this out.

As long as you can solder and know how to read the instructions on connecting a cable end, its relatively easy. It does help to know how the cable works and how pro companies attach their ends. Run a search on google and read everything you can about the cable you want to build.

plink said:
Yup, you have a good point. I cannot run those resolutions. Which is a shame. I will be upgrading my projector though once you can run those resolutions. :D

The diff between the 3805 and 3803 is just two years. Same model just newer, with a few small tweaks and added features. Definetely not worth an upgrade. I'll be going to a 4805 if I do that.

Thanks, dude. Well, I don't know about getting a projector with 1920x1200 native rez 'cause the price tag would be prohabitive to most of us. But If money is no object to you at all...

I am working on my setup and here is the list:

Denon 3805 A/V receiver
Denon DVD 2900
Axiom fronts/center
Boston Acoustics surrounds
Hsu sub
===============================
HP L2335 23'' computer/HDTV/gaming display
InFocus 4850 HT Projector
Athlon64 3500+
Asus A8V Socket 939 Via K8T800Pro + VT8237 with optical/digital audio out
Dual WD740 Raptor on RAID-0
1024MB DDR400
ATI Redeon X800Pro
(No need for a sound card)
=====================================================
feel free to hammer!

ImLazZzy said:
Thanks, dude. Well, I don't know about getting a projector with 1920x1200 native rez 'cause the price tag would be prohabitive to most of us. But If money is no object to you at all...

Denon 3805 A/V receiver
Denon DVD 2900
Axiom Fronts/Center
Hsu sub
Athlon64 3500+
Asus A8V Socket 939 Via K8T800Pro + VT8237 with optical/digital audio out
Dual WD740 Raptor on RAID-0
1024MB DDR400
ATI Redeon X800Pro
(No need for a sound card)
=====================================================
feel free to hammer!

Lookin good Lazy! That reminds me, (somewhat unrelated) those of you looking for an absolutely amazing subwoofer, and have no problems with spending thousands on one... check these out. www.svsubwoofers.com, I'm gonna get me one, someday.

plink said:
Lookin good Lazy! That reminds me, those of you looking for an absolutely amazing subwoofer, and have no problems with spending thousands on one... check these out. www.svsubwoofers.com, I'm gonna get me one, someday.
Thanks again. SVS and HSU are equally exceptional subs. Which one you pick is purely a matter of taste. Hey plink, what do you do? Just curious. You don't have to say if you don't want to... :p

Plink,

Are you sure that its a strech hack ? I took screen shots from each and you could see more on the sides in the widescreen resolutions on 1152x648 and 1776x1000 (although the later ran like crap!) It looks ok to me but maybe I am wrong.

ImLazZzy said:
Thanks again. SVS and HSU are equally exceptional subs. Which one you pick is purely a matter of taste. Hey plink, what do you do? Just curious. You don't have to say if you don't want to... :p

Hmmm.... what do I do.... lol. No its okay. Heres what I do.

I am a Computer/Network Administrator and Webdesigner during the day. I Compose music on the side, which will hopefully be turned into a full time job in the future. (I have another section of my home dedicated to my music studio) I am 21 years old, and very happily married.

SLIGHTLY off topic but how long will an ISF calibration last on my Hitachi 53UWX10b,

500-600 is QUITE a lot of money for me right now, and the photo of dark's setup on a hitachi is very intriguing. it looks absolutely phenom.

turdhat said:
Plink,

Are you sure that its a strech hack ? I took screen shots from each and you could see more on the sides in the widescreen resolutions on 1152x648 and 1776x1000 (although the later ran like crap!) It looks ok to me but maybe I am wrong.

The easiest way to tell is find a 'square' floor tile, and while looking down, circle around it. You will notice from one angle the square will turn into a rectangle. This is because its being stretched. In true widescreen there will be no deformation of objects or textures.

ImLazZzy said:

Denon 3805 A/V receiver
Denon DVD 2900
Axiom fronts/center
Hsu sub

You sound like half of my customer base at my job. That's my go to setup for home theater when I am designing a system for a client.

oneshot said:
You sound like half of my customer base at my job. That's my go to setup for home theater when I am designing a system for a client.

lol, you probably sold it to him.

Back