Doom 3 on 110" Screen with 7.1 audio

That NEODARK one is fake. The image overlaps and is not aligned correctly on the left. Why the hell would you even do this? :confused:

Hehe, nice set up =)

I was gonna get the Panasonic L500U which is pretty equivalent to the Z2 from what I've read, but then I heard Panasonic was releaseing the L700U in September, which adds HDMI and will probably look a little better. But I've been having doubts recently cause of bulb life - do I really wanna pop $250 once a year for a new bulb? Hmm.... cause if I'm going to be gaming on it, and I'm talking many many consecutive hours of FFXI at a time, that'll run down the bulb quite quickly... but DOOM3 would be just so awesome and you could only play so many minutes of that before getting up and putting on a new pair of pants =P

Now I'm debating between getting a Samsung DLP RPTV and going for the projector set up. The projector set up would cost considerably less, even with with the price of the bulbs, but it looks tons better hehehe =)

plink said:
hehe... yea she roxorz! I live in a small town outside of Red Deer.... (a party town in the summer) if your from around here you'll know which one. :cool:

gawd... Me's thinks I am gonna make a road trip up from Calgary, case of Boh in hand

CHeers and ROck on!

figgie said:
Plink

go to avsforum and look up screen goo ;)

Yea I have looked that stuff up... that's the paint I was talking about in one of my previous posts. Supposed to be pretty good. The wife doesn't want paint though, she wants a screen. And so a screen she will get! Da-Lite makes a really cool cinema contoured screen. (curved image like in real theatres) I'm thinking I may go with that.

Jerry said:
Hehe, nice set up =)

I was gonna get the Panasonic L500U which is pretty equivalent to the Z2 from what I've read, but then I heard Panasonic was releaseing the L700U in September, which adds HDMI and will probably look a little better. But I've been having doubts recently cause of bulb life - do I really wanna pop $250 once a year for a new bulb? Hmm.... cause if I'm going to be gaming on it, and I'm talking many many consecutive hours of FFXI at a time, that'll run down the bulb quite quickly... but DOOM3 would be just so awesome and you could only play so many minutes of that before getting up and putting on a new pair of pants =P

Now I'm debating between getting a Samsung DLP RPTV and going for the projector set up. The projector set up would cost considerably less, even with with the price of the bulbs, but it looks tons better hehehe =)

I would definetly go for the projector. I think you will be surprised how long your bulb will last. At 4 hours a day you will get 2 years minimum. Replace it once and then in 4 years from now (1 bulb replacement) buy a new better projector. :D I keep forgetting to take pics of Doom 3 at night... Once I start playing, I get so emmersed that I don't even think about anything else.

hallucinated said:
That NEODARK one is fake. The image overlaps and is not aligned correctly on the left. Why the hell would you even do this? :confused:
man, thats just mean.

Here's a real picture of my real tv. Really.

realtvpic(really).jpg

Here's a real pic.... :D

P1010005.JPG

65" of rear projection goodness.

Question for you guys. Someone told me that DVDs aren't HD (obviously true by looking at dvd's resolution). What's the story on this?

xENo

hey plink, how do you do :)

quick question. About the SDE on the z2....what firmware version are you running ? I believe 1.09 is now the highest, and I've read that they've alleviated the screen door effect with the later firmware revisions.

thanks !

xENo said:
Here's a real picture of my real tv. Really.

65" of rear projection goodness.

Question for you guys. Someone told me that DVDs aren't HD (obviously true by looking at dvd's resolution). What's the story on this?

xENo

Well DVDs aren't true HD because they are only 480p. Which is still decent though, but very grainy on large displays. (like projectors) I think most people say 720p and above is true HD. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

xdeejox said:
hey plink, how do you do :)

quick question. About the SDE on the z2....what firmware version are you running ? I believe 1.09 is now the highest, and I've read that they've alleviated the screen door effect with the later firmware revisions.

thanks !

Hmm.... I'll have to look into that. My projector is a month old. But I don't think its the 1.09. Thx for the info though xdeejox. (sounds like I need to update) With an LCD display you will always get a bit of the screen door effect. Though I only notice it if I'm standing 1-2 feet away from the projected image. Which just plain hurts the eyes. :p

One thing that I should add to all of this:

If you are using a large display I severely recommend running all your games with V-Sync on. This makes it much easier on your eyes.

thanks alot for the reply plink , and good luck with the full time music career.
something we have in common :) not the easiest field to get into :(

hey plink,

wat type of screen are you looking into getting for that projector? my family is looking at getting something to replace our old 32" TV, and this projector looks like a good option.

Thanks

aradeath said:
hey plink,

wat type of screen are you looking into getting for that projector? my family is looking at getting something to replace our old 32" TV, and this projector looks like a good option.

Thanks

I'm looking at getting a Da-lite fixed frame screen with the High Contrast Cinema Vision material. www.da-lite.com You can also get them with a cinema contour. Will run you about 800 bux US for the screen, and then 1800 US for the Sanyo PLV-Z2 projector. You'll be very happy with it, trust me. :)

plink said:
I'm looking at getting a Da-lite fixed frame screen with the High Contrast Cinema Vision material. www.da-lite.com You can also get them with a cinema contour. Will run you about 800 bux US for the screen, and then 1800 US for the Sanyo PLV-Z2 projector. You'll be very happy with it, trust me. :)

yes, it looks like a good combination :D , will have to see how the folks like it

aradeath said:
yes, it looks like a good combination :D , will have to see how the folks like it

Keep in mind tho, I do not have my screen yet. I am just running the projector off a wall. So with a screen it will look much better.

I have a projector setup as well, although mine is nowhere near as nice as plinks!
My projector is a Sharp XV-Z90U, and though it is not a high definition projector, the image is still highly crisp and clear when watching DVDs. What we do with our screen is mainly watch DVDs, with the occasional LAN party usage. I bought a DVI to VGA converter from Best Buy which allows me to hook up the computer for parties. The screen, by the way, is really just a vinyl sheet of shower siding. I find it hard to get a good picture of the screen, due to the flash on the camera. If there is no light it just looks like a floating picture, but with light the picture is too washed out to tell. Anyways, comments are welcome, I'll try to answer questions.
Here are some pictures:

projector1.jpg

projector2.jpg

projector3.jpg

room1.jpg

system1.jpg

system2.jpg

screen1.jpg

yeah..
actually that room is usually the cleanest room of the house.. usually spotless.. but it's baseball season now!!!! we are in there every night watching the twins, keeping it dirty. Heh heh heh... yep.

Plink! yes i dont have any empty wall space literally.. there are shelves.. flags of Spain, Lots of stuff stuck on the wall that im rather fond of.. hehe ..not to mention id have to strip off the wall paper

I live in a small home my friend.. i havent had a good reason to move into a big house that much.. im lazy and i dont like to clean big areas

Okay you have all given me enough influence to look into getting my own projector setup now I have narrowed it down to one of two units either the Sanyo PLV-Z2 or the SONY VPL-HS20
Any insite there Plink :confused:

Royal

plink said:
Yup and then I'll buy it.... You can't see it, but just outside that window is my 2004 WRX STI.... :D (just to rub it in....) ...btw, I'm dead serious.

Sweeeet man! whats even sweeter is the STI and I have one too! what color do you have? Mine is blue with the gold rims :D

I was thinking about getting a projector because I need a new TV for halo 2. How does it look if its positioned at a lower level?

oneshot said:
You sound like half of my customer base at my job. That's my go to setup for home theater when I am designing a system for a client.
Sorry for my tardy response. Have been wicked busy lately. Well, sounds like you set up HT for a living. I don't know, man. But paying others for a HT setup is a fairly stupid idea to me. And I believe most of these so-called professionals are no better than the rest of us. You don't need an EE degree to do this, do you? High school drop-outs can mess with it. Well, maybe I Im worry or maybe you are an exception. No offense, man. Just a thought.

plink said:
Yup and then I'll buy it.... You can't see it, but just outside that window is my 2004 WRX STI.... :D (just to rub it in....) ...btw, I'm dead serious.

Ok I didnt feel like reading all the posts on this one, way too many, lol so im just gonna post :D

Man that's a nice setup!!! Seeing this makes me want to move from Ontario to Alberta, lol. Alberta is the richest provience and im willin g to bet that if you can drop that kind of money on this hardware and a WRX your prolly either in the oil bizz somehow or you rolled over a bank :p Great Stuff man!!!!

Inquisition said:
Plink! yes i dont have any empty wall space literally.. there are shelves.. flags of Spain, Lots of stuff stuck on the wall that im rather fond of.. hehe ..not to mention id have to strip off the wall paper

I live in a small home my friend.. i havent had a good reason to move into a big house that much.. im lazy and i dont like to clean big areas

Well, Congratulations!! You now have a reason to buy a bigger house!! And I can't think of a better one! :p

Royal said:
Okay you have all given me enough influence to look into getting my own projector setup now I have narrowed it down to one of two units either the Sanyo PLV-Z2 or the SONY VPL-HS20
Any insite there Plink :confused:

Royal

oooo the HS20. Its a bit more money, but I think you will find it just a tad better than the PLV-Z2. (its a bit brighter) The reason why I did not purchase this model, is in about 3-4 years I will probably buy something better. If you have the cash tho, and money isn't too much of an issue, the extra thousand is would be worth it for the HS20. Though as far as specs go, the main difference is just brightness. They both have the same inputs and resolution options, and nearly the same picture quality. (tho that can differ slighter per user, as some say z2 is better and some say hs20) I would look at them both side to side, and make an edjucated choice from there. But, in my opinion, if money isn't an option, I would get the HS20.

m4a2t0t said:
Sweeeet man! whats even sweeter is the STI and I have one too! what color do you have? Mine is blue with the gold rims :D

I was thinking about getting a projector because I need a new TV for halo 2. How does it look if its positioned at a lower level?

Same here.... Blue with gold rims.

Halo 1 even looks and plays awsome on my projector. So of course Halo 2 will. I'm not sure what you mean by positioned at a lower level. If you mean mounting it near the floor instead of the ceiling. It will work great, (probably one of the better projectors for this as you can angle/tilt the lens anyway you want) Most projectors need to be turned on their backs when mounted on the ceiling. With mine I just angle the lens downward. (one of the best features of the Z2) So as long as you don't mind having it sit in front of you near the ground it will be all good.

ImLazZzy said:
Sorry for my tardy response. Have been wicked busy lately. Well, sounds like you set up HT for a living. I don't know, man. But paying others for a HT setup is a fairly stupid idea to me. And I believe most of these so-called professionals are no better than the rest of us. You don't need an EE degree to do this, do you? High school drop-outs can mess with it. Well, maybe I Im worry or maybe you are an exception. No offense, man. Just a thought.

Well, I had no problems setting any of this up, and I haven't been trained 'professionally'. I think anyone can learn how to do the installs themselves, as I would definetely not pay anyone to do this for me. Just search the internet and you can find all the information you need on what to do. I also looked at many other setups that people had done, and then compiled a list of the best aspects of each one and then constructed my own. Though your room dimensions and room layout will greatly afftect your possible outcomes. I build around my speakers first. (obviously making sure there is a wall with enough room for the size of the projector screen) and then go from there. Sound is the most important aspect in my opinion. As a poor speaker arrangment can make your entire system sound like garbage, even if you own the top speakers in the industry. This is even more important when you start running 6.1 and higher.

Mookers said:
Ok I didnt feel like reading all the posts on this one, way too many, lol so im just gonna post :D

Man that's a nice setup!!! Seeing this makes me want to move from Ontario to Alberta, lol. Alberta is the richest provience and im willin g to bet that if you can drop that kind of money on this hardware and a WRX your prolly either in the oil bizz somehow or you rolled over a bank :p Great Stuff man!!!!

hahahaha. mmmm rolling banks.... err, anyway. Actually, I'm not in the oil biz either. thx for the compliments though.

yeah them albertans sell madcow stricken cattle to the states. Us Ontarians are behind you all the way mang!
:p :D

MaddJoser said:
here you go
1280x720 (some stretch)
Panasonic 50" rp-lcd

Not too shabby at all. It looks like your image is being cut off a bit by your tv around the edges though...

We'll PLink....pretty awesome setup I must say......I think you said that at least a 1000:1 contrast ratio was great to have.....what about 15000:1 ?....I just got a projector from my work for Nada...0.00 dollars....yeah I know lucky me :D ....anyway the speces on it are here crtcinema.com/necspecs ....it's the NEC PG6000 ....pretty nice from what I can find out....does up to a 300" screen.....I have a 10 FT one that came with it for nothing.....believe it or not where I work was going to crush a building where this thing was and they said they had no use for it and that I could have it so ther you go....it's only been used about 10 times and is only about 2 yrs old.....anyway....it should be awesome.....nice car too....looking at buying one myself in the next couple of months...I'm in your field Computer Networking...working on getting my CCNA in September :) ...yes 1080i is better than 720p...not by much but it is true HD....I disagree on the cable talk....I sold Monster Cable for 4 yrs and have it on all my equipment....yes it is more expensive but their is a noticable difference between it,cheap crap...and self built cables....especially on large screens like the one you have......I've tried them all and compared them on large screens and you do notice a difference.....I can't blame you for not spending the money though b/c I probably won't either when I set mine up...it is lots of loot just for cables...anyway....I plan on doing the same thing that you are...I have DOOM 3 and FarCry but have yet to play either b/c of my current pc....I have an Athlon XP3200+ Barton....512mb OCZ PC 3200 but a doodoo Geforce 3 64mb card...so I'm about to build a new pc for my gaming so that I may enjoy Doom3 in all it's glory ....as far as subs go....look no further than Sunfire.... sunfire.com ...you'll get no better than these...period.....let me know what you think of the subs and the projector....and my setup.

Current Setup
Sony 32" XBR soon to be NEC PG6000 Projector 10FTscreen
Denon AVR 5803
Infinity IL50 Front Towers
Infinity IL40 Rear Towers
Infinity IL36C Center Channel
Infinity IL25C Rear Center
Infinity IL10 Side Surrounds
Sony DVP-S560D Soon to be Denon DVD-5900 (Brand new...just added to site)
Sony SAT HD300 Directv Receiver
XBOX,PS2,Gamecube

New Pc
AMD 64 3800+
Gigabyte GA-KN8SNXP-939
2GB Corsair XMS Xtra-LowLatency Pro Series PC3200
Thermaltake Xaser III SuperTower
Thermaltake Polo DIY Cooler
Leadtek 6800 Ultra
Soundblaster Audigy 2 Gamer L.E
Koolance Exos EXT-AO4 w/CPU & VGA Waterblocks
1Seagate 160GB Barracuda 7200.7 7200RPM SATA II with NCQ HD

plink said:
Well, I had no problems setting any of this up, and I haven't been trained 'professionally'. I think anyone can learn how to do the installs themselves, as I would definetely not pay anyone to do this for me. Just search the internet and you can find all the information you need on what to do. I also looked at many other setups that people had done, and then compiled a list of the best aspects of each one and then constructed my own. Though your room dimensions and room layout will greatly afftect your possible outcomes. I build around my speakers first. (obviously making sure there is a wall with enough room for the size of the projector screen) and then go from there. Sound is the most important aspect in my opinion. As a poor speaker arrangment can make your entire system sound like garbage, even if you own the top speakers in the industry. This is even more important when you start running 6.1 and higher.
Absolutely! That's how my list came into being as well. I am no 'professional' either, but I've been messing with this stuff ever since I was eight. It's my hobby, my killtime and my big enjoyment - just love it! Hey Im watching Simon&Garfunkel's live in Central Park now. Hm...what a sweet concert it was!!

AOM said:
We'll PLink....pretty awesome setup I must say......I think you said that at least a 1000:1 contrast ratio was great to have.....what about 15000:1 ?....I just got a projector from my work for Nada...0.00 dollars....yeah I know lucky me :D ....anyway the speces on it are here crtcinema.com/necspecs ....it's the NEC PG6000 ....pretty nice from what I can find out....does up to a 300" screen.....I have a 10 FT one that came with it for nothing.....believe it or not where I work was going to crush a building where this thing was and they said they had no use for it and that I could have it so ther you go....it's only been used about 10 times and is only about 2 yrs old.....anyway....it should be awesome.....nice car too....looking at buying one myself in the next couple of months...I'm in your field Computer Networking...working on getting my CCNA in September :) ...yes 1080i is better than 720p...not by much but it is true HD....I disagree on the cable talk....I sold Monster Cable for 4 yrs and have it on all my equipment....yes it is more expensive but their is a noticable difference between it,cheap crap...and self built cables....especially on large screens like the one you have......I've tried them all and compared them on large screens and you do notice a difference.....I can't blame you for not spending the money though b/c I probably won't either when I set mine up...it is lots of loot just for cables...anyway....I plan on doing the same thing that you are...I have DOOM 3 and FarCry but have yet to play either b/c of my current pc....I have an Athlon XP3200+ Barton....512mb OCZ PC 3200 but a doodoo Geforce 3 64mb card...so I'm about to build a new pc for my gaming so that I may enjoy Doom3 in all it's glory ....as far as subs go....look no further than Sunfire.... sunfire.com ...you'll get no better than these...period.....let me know what you think of the subs and the projector....and my setup.

Current Setup
Sony 32" XBR soon to be NEC PG6000 Projector 10FTscreen
Denon AVR 5803
Infinity IL50 Front Towers
Infinity IL40 Rear Towers
Infinity IL36C Center Channel
Infinity IL25C Rear Center
Infinity IL10 Side Surrounds
Sony DVP-S560D Soon to be Denon DVD-5900 (Brand new...just added to site)
Sony SAT HD300 Directv Receiver
XBOX,PS2,Gamecube

New Pc
AMD 64 3800+
Gigabyte GA-KN8SNXP-939
2GB Corsair XMS Xtra-LowLatency Pro Series PC3200
Thermaltake Xaser III SuperTower
Thermaltake Polo DIY Cooler
Leadtek 6800 Ultra
Soundblaster Audigy 2 Gamer L.E
Koolance Exos EXT-AO4 w/CPU & VGA Waterblocks
1Seagate 160GB Barracuda 7200.7 7200RPM SATA II with NCQ HD
You sound like half of my customer base... :D ...just kidding! A very high-end setup you've got there, only if you can pull it off. Well, if your new pc is your gaming rig, I'd strongly recommend using two WD740 Raptors on RAID 0.

Ok, my basic question is simple, but complicated. How does projector resolutions work? What I mean by this is.

1. If the native resolution is 1386x788 for the SONY VPL-HS20 then how do you get different resolutions such as (when it says singal compatibility) 480i, 480p, 575i, 575p, 720p, 1080i, and computer resolutions VGA 640x480 through XGA 1024x768 and 1280x768?

Basicly, I don't understand how projector resolutions work exactly. Can I play games at 1600x1200? Or, can I only play games at any of those signal compatiaility resolutions?

Also, are the resolutions dependent on the signal, thus 'signal compatibility'?

Ex: A DVD player has output to 720p. When I plug the DVD player into the projector and select the right input the projector will switch to 720p. But, when I swtich input to my computer and I'm going to connect it via VGA the projector swtiches resolutions to 640x480? Obiously, 720 is better then 640x480 which is why you 'hack' the ini files and such to get the computer to dispaly 720p?

Back