Doom 4, What do you think?

Doom 3 ran amazing

With my old Barton 2500 512 DDR400 and 9800 Pro (all stock) i could do High 1024*768 @ 55 fps avg

Given that 1024 res was not what it is today

I had a 21 inch LCD so I wanted to play at the native res of 1600x1200. That took a 6800 ultra extreme on my part. :p

Found Doom3 dull honestly, yea it had some nice flash, but very little substance. Walk past trigger X, secret door Z opens behind you with monster attacking; wash, rinse, repeat. Sometimes you got to switch it up and walk past trigger Y and door closes behind you, monsters come out of the woodwork in the room...

Rage on the other hand looks to hold promise, as long as it's not vapor.

When I got paid this month, I went and bought all the Doom games off Steam, except Doom 3. Says enough, really.

If they re-made the original games EXACTLY with updated graphics and physics, it would sell like johnnies at a Free Prozzie Party.

I liked doom 3 but it really became the same gameplay the whole time. If they could make some more of the internal buildings but have them start at the surface and you work your way down with modeling following the style needing as you get deeper it might be more fun. Or make intermission type levels where you run across the ladscape to the next building to clear, kinda like Serious Sam did, those were crazy and fun. Although the character commentary helped those along a lot lol.

I'll probably end up buying it and liking it, but I would like having something that keeps me playing after I finish for a while.

loved doom 3, upgraded my barton rig with an x800 to play it on launch day... thinking more of HL2 at that time though. :p

i wanna see more hell on earth. actual hell on earth.

i don't care how long it takes, just make it good and make it epic.

I think it's pretty novel and nice; more than the game itself -- I personally like to see the technology at hand and what makes the game tick =). Hopefully there's some amazing technology in there.

They need to mildly reinvent the franchise. The gameplay mechanics are still based in the early 90's. I personally could never get through much of Doom3... the game itself is designed to hate you. The map design is brilliant given how much it loops back upon itself, but that also was highly frustrating and as a realistic natural feel, it fails.

I would love to see it get more into the Far Cry style of things, with combined open areas and underground tight areas, less emphasis on the demonic horde style, perhaps some more varied weaponry and definitely, definitely (please) less emphasis on the "lets jump the player over and over again because it's fun to have ridiculously artificial challenges every 5 seconds!".

Something more akin to the whole 'Aliens' style would be welcome.

i wanna see more hell on earth. actual hell on earth.

i don't care how long it takes, just make it good and make it epic.

QFT

Although I did enjoy Doom 3 as a whole, the hell area of the game was far too short (needs more cyberdemon :p).

doom3 was pretty ok... after re-playing all three parts of doom 1 with the doomsday engine recently, I still think the way they did all the levels for the original doom games was better.. all the secrets, the walls which would drop behind you with swarming baddies behind them... all the nooks and crannies, little secret spots.. you would think with the advances in the engines they would be able to re-create this and expand on it rather than just making everything better looking..

and.. I think I still like the old plasma rifle over the new one also.. lol. anyways.. I have yet to see something from ID which I didn't like, so I imagine this will be good.. but I hope they bring in some of the elements of the old level design, lots of secrets and swarming baddies, into this version.. :)

Doom 3 was way over hyped, and not that good of a game, imo. All the perfect/almost perfect scores were not deserved. Who even plays it anymore, how many times is it brought up? Not many for both.

Not very excited about this next Doom, unless its something new'ish and has better gameplay. Sadly, I wasted $50 on this, because they waited to put out a demo for months after the game came out, and all reviews said it was good. Even [H] posted it as great. Wont happen again.. Ill just download it if they try that again.

I loved the original 2 Doom games and Doom 3 was pretty good too. I am excited for this game.

I enjoyed Doom 3 a great deal. The darkness wasn't an issue for me at all. I'm really looking forward to a part four. The only thing wasn't too big of a deal when first playing through the game, but killed the replay value was having to keep track of all the different access codes.

Love me some id!

I think all the whining about being too dark was silly. Its a horror game, it is supposed to be dark. They actually got that part right.

You clearly have no idea what horror is. Horror is set up thru atmosphere. And it's actually pretty hard to achieve. A horror game doesn't need to be (extremely) dark to be scary. Besides, lack of light is annoying and makes the game hard to play. Cheap shock moments are also not scary, they're just annoying.

D3 had great graphics and terrible gameplay. I really hope D4 doesnt turn out the same way.

Cheap shock moments are only annoying when either they fail or are too frequent.

As for the dark issue you fail. Sorry, I agree with you about atmosphere and that is exactly what the dark in that game is providing.

That said, I am not saying I want more of the same. Just that that particular criticism was overblown, off the mark and nothing to do with what is holding Doom back.

wildfire99 said it best. The game needs a major game play over haul to re-invent itself rather than simple update an old formula.

Maybe we'll have another ID sponsored rig for Doom IV through [H]?

That AMD Athlon 64 3000+ @ 2.45GHz with BFG 6800OC @ 400/800 played Doom III like butter on 1600x1200 and lasted 3 years for me.

I'm pretty excited to say the least. Just fix the network problems.

Cheap shock moments are only annoying when either they fail or are too frequent.

As for the dark issue you fail. Sorry, I agree with you about atmosphere and that is exactly what the dark in that game is providing.

Including cheap shock moments is taking the easy way out. Shitty PG-13 horror movies are notorious for whoring them because the directors are incapable of setting up genuine horror. D3 had one every 2 minutes. Same thing with darkness, anyone can do it. I personally want them to put a little more effort into it this time.

Also, straining your eyes thruout the entire game is not pleasant.

I have to wonder if all the Doom3 complainers actually played the whole damn game. Most of the bitching about it doesnt apply to the whole game. There were plenty of parts where monsters werent jumping out every 2 seconds. There were many interesting parts and enemies in the game and based on the comments some of you guys never got that far. Yes it got a little repetitive at times but overall I think the game was pretty fun and had a lot of interesting environments.

As for the dark issue you fail. Sorry, I agree with you about atmosphere and that is exactly what the dark in that game is providing

It was way too dark. STALKER had a creepy atmosphere and it wasn't dark most of the time.

It was way too dark. STALKER had a creepy atmosphere and it wasn't dark most of the time.

dark? it looked to me that game had a sepia filter, never really liked it, too brownish.

now on topic, I remember that i had a GeForce 5700 by the time Doom3 hit the shelves, and well that game made me upgrade to a Radeon 9800 PRO and a couple gigs of RAM :p

dark? it looked to me that game had a sepia filter, never really liked it, too brownish.

now on topic, I remember that i had a GeForce 5700 by the time Doom3 hit the shelves, and well that game made me upgrade to a Radeon 9800 PRO and a couple gigs of RAM :p
you didnt even need 1 gig much less 2 for Doom3 even on high settings

you did need 2 gigs if u wanted to use the ultra quality setting, the one with uncompressed textures :rolleyes:
you can roll your eyes all you want but you didnt "need" 2 gigs of ram for Ultra settings

Doom 3's sweet spot seems to be 1GB of memory, and going from single channel to dual channel gave us a 5 to 6 percent gain in performance. Going up to 2GB did not yield any significant speed increases

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6104596/p-5.html

Meh, I am not excited but I'll read reviews when it's out. Id's approach to game design doesn't appeal to me anymore.

Doom 3 was very good although it was a fairly straight forward affair. The atmosphere and audio logs were perfect. But RoE had better maps, more interesting encounters and better pacing. I started to get bored around the middle of Doom 3 after you come back from Hell and re-enter delta or whatever it's called.

RoE was more similar to the old Doom games but could be improved a lot too. The bosses were ok but too easy. Maybe with better tech we could see some really humongous boss monsters. A Spider Mastermind is probably a safe bet. ;)

Doom 4 needs to bring the tricks and traps back. And also the ability to fight at least a dozen enemies on screen at once. And bring back secret doors and level short cuts. Branching paths would be nice to add some replay value. And more outdoor areas. I assume it will be a remake of Doom 2.

If they're just now announcing, I wonder when it will ship ?

2 years ?

How long after doom 3 was announced did the game come out?

I loved doom 3. It was the only FPS I played through twice in years. I recently re-installed it to play the co-op MOD with classic doom again.
However, as much as I loved doom3 and being scared by it, I think I would rather have the game be similar to doom 2, taking place outdoors most of the time with a ton of enemies chasing you from all sides.

i feel like playing the Doom 3 expansion right now.. Do i need to install Doom 3 in order to play the Exp?

I think it would be awesome if they made a prequel to this game. Like in D3 when you learn about another civilization that destroyed the monsters. Something in those times..

I didn't mind Doom3, but seriously, it was about 50% content, 50% filler, it could have been half as long and not lost anything.

I'm guessing that Doom4 will be based on the Id Tech 5 engine, the same one that Rage is based on, it's capabilities go well beyond those of the engine used for D3 (id Tech 4), and it should allow for more varied map design.

I wasn't a fan of Doom 3 at all. Way too much hype. I loved Doom and Doom 2 and the expansion packs. I HOPE that Doom 4 brings me back to loving the series.

What? D3 was one of the first games to come out with bump mapped textures, maybe your hardware couldn't handle it or you didn't have it enabled but for it's time I thought the textures were great.. not much out there had bump mapping yet

no my hardware was just fine when it came out. I had a 9800XT then a X800XL.

It's the same reason why I didn't like NWN2 much, looked too flat and un-detailed, compared to NWN1 where it had detail and things like the ground and brick work had some grit to it.

you can roll your eyes all you want but you didnt "need" 2 gigs of ram for Ultra settings

Doom 3's sweet spot seems to be 1GB of memory, and going from single channel to dual channel gave us a 5 to 6 percent gain in performance. Going up to 2GB did not yield any significant speed increases

:rolleyes:

:D

I'd like to see Dr. Betruger (was that his name?) lead his demon hordes on an invasion of Earth. I'm re-installing D3 and ROE right now. :D

I never even finished Doom 3, actually I never even made it to halfway. I thought it was great (for it's time) as far a graphics go, but the gameplay, closed quarters, repetition and lack of originality turned me off. *Hey id, there are more colors in the world than just different shades of brown.* Id builds great engines, but shitty games.

I'd like to see Dr. Betruger (was that his name?) lead his demon hordes on an invasion of Earth. I'm re-installing D3 and ROE right now. :D

It seems that will be the case, judging from a couple of reports.

So, Doom 4 will be to Doom 2 what Doom 3 was to Doom 1...

Some more Hell on Earth-type business would be awesome! Martian bases are boring.

Back