Doom 4, What do you think?

You guys need to remember that just because it's called "Doom 4" doesn't mean it has to relate to the other games. They actually did mentioned this in an article, but I can't for the life of me find it - something about it being easier to produce a game using the existing franchise name. So, I won't be surprised if it's something different. Just hope it's good!

Doom needs to take a lesson from FEAR.
I was a bit spooked when playing Doom 3 but there were times in FEAR when I seriously muffled my screams and felt my heart jump out of my chest.
Remember the part of FEAR when you go down the ladder and you see Alma at the top of the ladder and when you turn around she right in front of you.... I still get shivers thinking of that! Or in the vent when she charges at you.

Doom 4 needs less monsters in the closest and fag looking skeletons with rocket launcher shoulders and take a lesson in suspense from games like AVP2 and FEAR. I wan them to make it so scary that someone dies playing it!

Doom needs to take a lesson from FEAR.
I was a bit spooked when playing Doom 3 but there were times in FEAR when I seriously muffled my screams and felt my heart jump out of my chest.
Remember the part of FEAR when you go down the ladder and you see Alma at the top of the ladder and when you turn around she right in front of you.... I still get shivers thinking of that! Or in the vent when she charges at you.

Doom 4 needs less monsters in the closest and fag looking skeletons with rocket launcher shoulders and take a lesson in suspense from games like AVP2 and FEAR. I wan them to make it so scary that someone dies playing it!

That's not what DOOM is. Those skeletons are called revenants.

Doom 4, ok, but theres alot of other Id games I would like to see, such as a new version of Heritic, That was the first FPS that I ever got into, both single player and Multi. Hexen was pretty good also in its time. but I will never forget the Morph Ovum shot from Heritic 3, turns you into a chicken then you can go around pecking people with your beak, as well as the pheonix bow, that actually shot a Pheonix out, that was an awsome effect for its day.
Doom 3 was to dark and just to much of a maze game, but sure pushed the limits of visual technology.

I didn't know John Carmack and ID were so hard up for money that they need to make a new engine and slap the DOOM name on it.

Just kidding!

It will be very interesting to see if DOOM 4 heads into the general trend of large outside areas or stay with its corridor roots. Plus you just know the engine will be licsensed for use in so many games it will be a bonanza of graphical goodness.

Doom 3 is made precisely how it was supposed to be made. People seem to forget that Doom1/2 was all about the "Go somewhere/grab something that triggers monsters to jump out at you" as well. I could swear I heard in a Carmack interview during Doom 3's development that they were keeping true to the original Dooms, and they did. In the end it's still all about shoot the monsters, grab the key to open the door, to shoot more monsters. Carmack is a minimalist in terms of gaming, he likes to keep it simple, and as far as how it goes with Id type of games, they're simple and straightforward, as intended.

Doom 3 is made precisely how it was supposed to be made. People seem to forget that Doom1/2 was all about the "Go somewhere/grab something that triggers monsters to jump out at you" as well. I could swear I heard in a Carmack interview during Doom 3's development that they were keeping true to the original Dooms, and they did. In the end it's still all about shoot the monsters, grab the key to open the door, to shoot more monsters. Carmack is a minimalist in terms of gaming, he likes to keep it simple, and as far as how it goes with Id type of games, they're simple and straightforward, as intended.

What worked well in the 90s doesnt work anymore. Everyone moved on.

Also Doom 1&2 were perfect gameplay wise. D3 was slow, dark, repetitive garbage.

I had mixed feelings about D3. At first I played about five or so missions and lost intrest because to me, it just wasn't what I wanted or expected. Anyways, after a few months of being shelved, I fired it up outta the blue and just played it as a game more so then the past series and enjoyed it. Reguardless of that though, if there's ever a glimmer of hope about new content towards the DOOM universe, I'm in!

I think Doom 3 and Quake 4 are the ultimate games for technofetishists. Especially Quake 4. They really went balls-out designing all the Strogg machinery.

Doom2 just felt like more of an adventure than Doom3. It was bigger. Doom 3 started out great but sort of turned into a grind. It wasn't like Half-Life 2 which was just one incredible thing after another. It felt like you were just stuck in an old fashioned game. Really it was mediocre level design. It was a memorable concept but not a memorable game.

I thought Quake 4 did a much better job of taking you into the heart of darkness. Doom3 just felt uninspired.

Back