Doom 4, What do you think?

I never even finished Doom 3, actually I never even made it to halfway. I thought it was great (for it's time) as far a graphics go, but the gameplay, closed quarters, repetition and lack of originality turned me off. *Hey id, there are more colors in the world than just different shades of brown.* Id builds great engines, but shitty games.
go back and play it because there is a lot more to it than closed quarters monsters jumping out for the whole game.

go back and play it because there is a lot more to it than closed quarters monsters jumping out for the whole game.

Yeah, but there was still way too much closed quarters monsters jumping out, which was boring and repetitive.

I loved Doom and Doom 2, in fact I'm beating doom 2 again right now. Doom 3 was good but disappointing compared to the older ones. I hope they make it like Doom 2. Spider mastermind FTW.

I loved Doom and Doom 2, in fact I'm beating doom 2 again right now. Doom 3 was good but disappointing compared to the older ones. I hope they make it like Doom 2. Spider mastermind FTW.

Arch-Vile was always my favorite, Mancubus are pretty awesome too. :D

I'd LOVE to see Doom 4

They should do it just like Event Horizon... but with Cyberdemons! and space marines.:p

or we could travel back to mars and have to delve deep into the core to take out the true evil that lies within the planet. Only to find out that it was humanity all along that was the true evil, and that we came from Mars.

They should do it just like Event Horizon... but with Cyberdemons! and space marines.:p

or we could travel back to mars and have to delve deep into the core to take out the true evil that lies within the planet. Only to find out that it was humanity all along that was the true evil, and that we came from Mars.
Soylent green...is...PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doom 4 needs to have intense story and AI and the multiplayer needs to be built around co-op play.

All the Doom's were great, including Doom 3. I have no doubt Doom 4 will be good as well.

Doom 4 needs to have intense story and AI and the multiplayer needs to be built around co-op play.

+1

we need more coop in general

I'd also prefer if they stuck to a more zombie styled doom3 rather than the demonic stuff they do, the early levels of doom3 which were largly zombie people were far more fun, and scary to a certain extent.

I was thinkin about doing the same actually, I think I'll fire it up a bit later. ;-)

I'll buy Doom 4 when it comes out, I enjoyed all of the Doom series for the most part.

I slogged all the way through Doom 3. The game just felt way too cramped. Also I thought it was silly that originally you couldn't have a flashlight and your gun up at the same time. Apparently duct tape wasn't shipped up to Mars.

I'll wait for the reviews.

yes yes.... awesome co-op play with ridiculous amounts of baddies and some crazy ass bosses FTW. :)

I loved Doom3, and it had one of my favorite boss fights ever, that hell hound dude that protected the cube, can't wait to play it again. I hope they make a better final boss fight though, the cyber demon was WAY too easy, but cool as hell looking.

I'm not much of a gamer, but I thought doom 3 was a great game, I thoroughly enjoyed it and am looking forward to doom 4....

I had a TON of fun with Doom 3. I got frustrated a few times when I got stuck in a level (once or twice), but overall I enjoyed it. I'll definitely check out Doom 4 when it comes out.

Boring. The first quarter was great but the fact that the rest of the game was exactly the same wore on me fast. Other games that also used the dark as a major game element, like Riddick, were much much better. Hopefully Doom 4 is great but I'm not holding my breath.

On a sidenote, I still play through Doom 2 once a year. What a frigging great game, even after all this time. I actually hope that Doom 4 is more like Doom 1 and 2; fast as hell (like, faster than the original Quake), crazy numbers of monsters, insane. It'll never ever happen but I can hope. When I play the originals I honestly feel more like I'm playing one of those old fast games like Sonic The Hedgehog than any modern FPS with an emphasis on creating an atmosphere.

Anyway, crossing fingers that no matter which approach they take, that it is great.

for the game to be scary, you needed 5.1 sound.. when i played it at night, it got pretty intense.

Do you know what the best feature from Doom 1 and 2 is? You could get monsters to fight each other. I spent more time trying to do that than anything else I bet. There was nothing better than running in circles with 50 monsters after you and getting them all to attack each other. They really need to bring that feature back. Oh, and lay off the all brown colored levels, put some other friggin color in there for god's sake.

Do you know what the best feature from Doom 1 and 2 is? You could get monsters to fight each other. I spent more time trying to do that than anything else I bet. There was nothing better than running in circles with 50 monsters after you and getting them all to attack each other. They really need to bring that feature back. Oh, and lay off the all brown colored levels, put some other friggin color in there for god's sake.

That feature was in Doom 3 to a lesser extent, if I remember correctly though this time around the monsters all had a sort of rank and any monster of a lower rank that happened to attack a higher ranked one would get killed. So you could for example have a shotgun zombie accidently shoot an Imp, who would then retaliate, but not the other way around. I like the older system better though, I was hopin to somehow have an epic battle between a ton of zombies and a hell knight or something.

I remember at Quakecon 2004 when Doom III was just released and seeing people jump all over the BYOC from playing. haha

Doom 3 made me buy my first SLi set-up......

Radical stuff. 2 x 6800 GTs......

That game was the bomb. Bring it on.:D

I remember at Quakecon 2004 when Doom III was just released and seeing people jump all over the BYOC from playing. haha

I remember QuakeCon 2k2 when the Radeon 9700 was the "official card of Doom ]|[". I also remember that I pre-ordered my Radeon 9700 at QuakeCon 2k2 and got a free copy of Doom ]|[ with it!

Last man standing mod for doom 3 has coop. According to the site it has remade original doom maps to play coop on as well, but I never played them before I uninstalled.

If it is anything like Doom 2, ill be expecting BIG levels since the game is: hell on earth :).
With the new ID TECH 5, I hope to see plenty of baddies too.

Last man standing mod for doom 3 has coop. According to the site it has remade original doom maps to play coop on as well, but I never played them before I uninstalled.

That's true, but only for the first episode of doom 1.

less reliance on "boo" moments would be nice
They need to take a page out of FEAR's play book in that regard. FEAR played the scary moments well where as every dark room you walked into in Doom you knew something was going to jump out at you.

Not counting the engine, I really hope ID Software outsources this thing (yeah, right) as I have lost confidence in their ability to produce a compelling game. ugh, Doom 3 was just painful in its predictability and general mediocrity. I almost had to force myself to finish it.

I'm looking forward to Doom 4. I know id will bring us an enjoyable game, along with RAGE. Doom 3 was a blast when it came out, and quite honestly, I haven't felt the hype from any other game since then. If they can do for Doom 4 what Doom 2/Master levels did for Doom, then we'll be alright. I would also like to see more of the 'Hell' theme play out as others have mentioned...then that will be exciting! Also, I absolutely loved the MP in D3, please bring back a rocking net code in D4; and the masses shall fallow.

on a side note. Please for the love of God do not 'consolify' this or any other IP. Bioshock reaked of that stench.

i want more doom/doom2 type gameplay. circular levels that make no sense realistically, but are fun to figure out where the keycards are and open new doors.

oh and secret doors that open and release a BUNCH of monsters. not just one to jump out at you. nothing like in doom when you could hear many of those beasts behind a wall, and you knew something was going to happen. then the lights went out and a herd of beasts come after you

i want more doom/doom2 type gameplay. circular levels that make no sense realistically, but are fun to figure out where the keycards are and open new doors.

oh and secret doors that open and release a BUNCH of monsters. not just one to jump out at you. nothing like in doom when you could hear many of those beasts behind a wall, and you knew something was going to happen. then the lights went out and a herd of beasts come after you

You bring up a good point. Secret areas that were prevelent in Wolf 3D and Doom should definitely make a comeback. I remember in Wolf running along a wall and pressing space throughout the levels :) I think it'd be cool to see a reward or time system like those games had as well.

They need to take a page out of FEAR's play book in that regard. FEAR played the scary moments well where as every dark room you walked into in Doom you knew something was going to jump out at you.

+1 for that comment. FEAR was and still is awesome in my book.. for sure the most scary game to come along for me since the original dooms were around.. what I did like about doom which FEAR didn't have was the walls which would drop behind you and suddenly you were swarmed with baddies from the rear.. uhm.. yeah.. anyways. something like that.. :)

I'm totally psyched. When I finally got a 9800 Pro after being way behind the hardware & OS curve for a long time, the first game I bought was Doom 3. Absolutely loved it and the expansion. Loved Quake 4 for that matter too.

For the record, I loved the PDA. I thought the voice messages and e-mails really added to the immersion factor.

Man, Doom 3 was awesome. Now I'm thinking about replaying it.... never played it with my Logitech Z5500 speakers...

I'm not gonna hold my breath though. I remember seeing screenshots for Doom3 in early 2001, possibly even in 2000 sometime, and the game was not released until August 2004.

I'm totally psyched. When I finally got a 9800 Pro after being way behind the hardware & OS curve for a long time, the first game I bought was Doom 3. Absolutely loved it and the expansion. Loved Quake 4 for that matter too.

For the record, I loved the PDA. I thought the voice messages and e-mails really added to the immersion factor.

Man, Doom 3 was awesome. Now I'm thinking about replaying it.... never played it with my Logitech Z5500 speakers...

I'm not gonna hold my breath though. I remember seeing screenshots for Doom3 in early 2001, possibly even in 2000 sometime, and the game was not released until August 2004.
if you are going to replay it at least find a couple of mods to make look and feel a little different. ;)

Back