DoubleSight DS-265W Official discussion!

Most of us were waiting for the update because of the additional connectors (especially HDMI). Then for some reason they decide to remove it (wtf). Instead, they lleave useless VGA in there - um, welcome to 2002? On top of that they also add useless speakers to add insult to injury. And it also looks like they want to be vague as fuck on the polarizer.

Oh oops, and then there's the updated stand. Lol.

So no, not really better. If you didn't need the additional connector (component), I'm not really sure why you are still waiting.

speakers!? WTF!
ok, seems to be the consensus, they really messed up. the original expectations were great. barebones panel + HDMI + Component. basically a US version of Hazro, thats all that they needed to do.
anyone inform them of this?

(i wonder if they read this forum)

speakers!? WTF!
ok, seems to be the consensus, they really messed up. the original expectations were great. barebones panel + HDMI + Component. basically a US version of Hazro, thats all that they needed to do.
anyone inform them of this?

(i wonder if they read this forum)

I don't mind the speakers because the thing can eventually be used as a TV in a spare bedroom or something when its time to upgrade monitors again.

I don't mind the speakers because the thing can eventually be used as a TV in a spare bedroom or something when its time to upgrade monitors again.

Useless gimmick. If you can appreciate monitor "speakers", then I can think the world should be envious of your low standards.

No need for speakers , when most people have desktop speakers.
Like why buy a nice big wide screen if you dont have decent sound for it.
its like buying a 52 inch Tv and having no sound system to go with it.
Maybe thats a bad example I dunno. but really BIg screens big TVS
deserve big sound.

Well , provantage is listing the new doublesight 265W , 275W , 305W on the
website. The 26 and 27 inch monitors are listed to having HDMI on them . Has
anyone heard much about the 27 inch monitor doublesight is releasing? Now the
consumer really has a choice to make ! how much diffence can there be between the
26 and 27 inch? no specs yet to be released. ! doublesight has a nice picture of the 26
inch on there websight! looks very nice. .. now what do I order? 26 or 27 inch?

image_265.png

I will probably buy 2 x 265W or 2 x 275W if they really have HDMI !

Question is , is the 265w and 275w IPS displays?
What would the difference be between the two besides an inch?

There's not a 27" IPS panel, is there? No 27" IPS monitors out there that I know of. So if that's the case, the 27" won't be IPS.

Yeah! ive been hearing rumors of a 27 inch for the last month! and provantage is listing it
right now for selling .

manufacturing wise, I dont think it makes sense to produce a 26" and 27". But the new 26" looks good.

Useless gimmick. If you can appreciate monitor "speakers", then I can think the world should be envious of your low standards.

Lol. I will not be using the built in speakers on my rig. I have a 5.1 setup for that. I'm just saying in a few years I can toss the thing in a guest bedroom or in the kitchen, hook up a tuner and use it as a TV without hooking up external speakers. I don't care how good it sounds in that situation, as long as it works. My kitchen does not need anything fancy..lol.

Got a reply back with the type of panels the 265w and 275w is.

Thank you for interest in DoubleSight products.

The major different item is panel as below;

DS-265W à IPS panel (LG)

DS-275W à s-PVA panel (Samsung)

What panel type is the 263n?

any word regarding a-tw polarizers on any of the models? what about the fuzzy/dusty/glittery effect from anti-glare coating (like the 30" dell, nec etc...)??

thanks

A-TW polarizer is very unlikely, at best.

Anti-glare coating on the 263W was minimal, definitely less sparkly and grainy than the NEC 2690. The 265W will likely be similar, but this is all speculation until it's in people's hands.

I have read that IPS panels give off a grainy picture at times. Will someone write about their personal experience of switching to an IPS panel and what the first impressions were? To those people, will you describe how the overall picture is noticeably different from PVA, TN? (besides what is commonly described as the unique qualities of various panel types, such as viewing angle) Thanks

HDMI and component inputs? That's more than just cosmetic. It looks like this will be a totally different monitor. I hope that doesn't mean more lag.

That's why I wait for you to get your hands on each new IPS before I buy one (2690, 2490, PX2611W, DS-263). Photos, lag tests, excruciating details on the ergonomics, menu options, calibration, etc. You should start your own LCD review site...I'd gladly donate.

Bleh. Same nuclear-level brightness (no surprise), no HDMI, no polarizer, and frickin' built in speakers. The Apple 23" display is starting to look like an excellent deal, especially considering the pixel pitch. Yeah, it doesn't do HDCP, but there are plenty of ways around that (unless you're planning on using a PS3 or 360 instead of a real computer).

How do you know the new DS doesn't have the polarizer? If that's true, you might as well get the Planar.

How do you know the new DS doesn't have the polarizer? If that's true, you might as well get the Planar.

Because DoubleSight has not stated that it will have an A-TW polarizer. They continue to evade the issue by saying "yes, it has a polarizer!" when they know very well that LCD technology requires the use of a polarizer. An A-TW polarizer, however, is an extra layer and an extra feature... and an extra expense. If it really had an A-TW polarizer like the $1200 NEC, you can bet they would actually advertise this. Sorry, but in all likelihood the presence of A-TW polarizers on certain 263W's was a complete and total fluke.

Since the Planar is basically the same price as the Apple 23", and the Apple has the better enclosure, design, pixel pitch, and usable backlight brightness range (read: not nuclear), I lean towards the Apple. However, the anti-glare coating on the current Apple model is too aggressive for me. Apple will be coming out with new displays in the next few months though, likely at or before the next Macworld in January.

scivian said:
I have read that IPS panels give off a grainy picture at times. Will someone write about their personal experience of switching to an IPS panel and what the first impressions were?

There's nothing inherently grainy about an IPS panel. It all comes down to the amount of anti-glare coating used on the layer between your eyes and the panel itself. NEC and Apple are generally more aggressive with their coating, DS is less so. Just depends on the model, and some units of the same model have more coating than others. Just another variable in the LCD crapshoot.

NEC and Apple don't control how aggressive the anti-glare coating is. The panel manufacturer does. Every monitor with the same panel has the same coating except for glossy monitors. The Planar PX2611W, DoubleSight DS-263N, and NEC LCD2690WUXi all have the same non-aggressive coating, so I don't see why this monitor would be any different. I haven't ever seen any variations among different monitors with the same panel. All monitors with the 23" and 30" IPS panels still have the aggressive coating.

EW27 said:
That's why I wait for you to get your hands on each new IPS before I buy one (2690, 2490, PX2611W, DS-263). Photos, lag tests, excruciating details on the ergonomics, menu options, calibration, etc. You should start your own LCD review site...I'd gladly donate.
I'm more interested in the HP LP2475w right now. If the DS-265W is confirmed to not have the A-TW polarizer, I won't be trying it. At this point, I don't have much faith in DoubleSight considering the whole polarizer fiasco, and the 30" DoubleSight comes with the wrong type of power cable. It's like they're not aware of their own products.

scivian said:
ToastyX - I thought I had finally decided on this monitor until I read this review which has the same panel. Response time is on the top of my list and this panel doesn't perform well according to it. What do you think?

http://www.behardware.com/articles/648-6/nec-multisync-lcd2690wuxi-the-first-26-inch.html
That's not a very good review. I don't know why they ranked movie playing so low. There's nothing wrong with movie playing on that monitor. The things they complained about aren't specific to that monitor.

As for gaming, the NEC has a two-frame lag, which they didn't mention, but that's not inherent with the panel. The Planar and DoubleSight monitors have almost no lag. To me, not having lag is much more important than response time. They focused on response time, but they didn't mention whether or not they tested with overdrive on.

When it comes to response times, TN panels have the best gray-to-gray response times, which is good for gaming, but other color transitions aren't as good, which doesn't get mentioned much. VA panels are better at other color transitions, but gray-to-gray response times are poor unless strong response time compensation is used, which adds problems like inverse ghosting and lag. IPS panels are more well-rounded. They aren't the best at everything, but they aren't the worst either. The NEC and DoubleSight monitors don't have inverse ghosting like some other monitors.

The only thing I don't like about the NEC monitors is the two-frame lag and the lack of 1080i and proper 480p support. They are at the top of their class in every other way. The only monitors that could come close in image quality would be monitors with the same panel and A-TW polarizer, which have only appeared in the Hazro monitors and random batches of the DS-263N. I'm hoping to see more come out.

scivian said:
Does the HP LP2475w have that particular polarizer?
I don't know if the HP will have the polarizer or not.

scivian said:
http://www.displayblog.com/2008/08/11/hp-dreamcolor-lp2475w-high-color-gamut-24-lcd-monitor/ Availability: September 2008, 10-bit. LED backlight, any insights on this?
That link confuses two different monitors. The DreamColor LP2480zx display is the one with the 10-bit color and LED backlight, but that monitor is $3300.

These are the official specs for the LP2475w: http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/sm/WF06a/382087-382087-64283-444767-444767-3648442.html

Is the Doublesight IPS quality without the polarizer comparable to the 23" Apple monitor or the 24" iMac monitors?

The Planar PX2611W, DoubleSight DS-263N, and NEC LCD2690WUXi all have the same non-aggressive coating, so I don't see why this monitor would be any different. I haven't ever seen any variations among different monitors with the same panel.

I have. The two DS 263Ws I have seen have had noticeably less aggressive anti-glare coating than the NEC.

I have. The two DS 263Ws I have seen have had noticeably less aggressive anti-glare coating than the NEC.
Were you able to compare the DS and NEC side by side? Did you get a chance to watch movies (where the twinkling effect is supposed to be most noticeable) on either brand. Was it distracting to you? Thanks

Is the Doublesight IPS quality without the polarizer comparable to the 23" Apple monitor or the 24" iMac monitors?

Of course, it's comparable because they are all IPS.
Apple and especially iMac (both standard gamut) are above at least due to DS wide color gamut.

Calibrating this monitor: Is their a particular calibrator that works best with this mointor, or some to stay away from? What ever calibrator I get needs to work with my Samsung 650 HDTV.

Wide Gamut: I just stumbled on this issue and have read quite a bit but am unclear. I dont do any photo work, but do look at alot of HD videos as well as play games and use firefox for internet. I am looking forward to having a high end monitor and more colors. Im ok with a little oversaturation, is wide gamut ok for me or should I steer clear? Any links or other info would be appreciated. Thanks

Back