Emulation Software Detected!

theNoid said:
Well.. I can understand your frustration. But in reality ... EA is NOT going to change their new method of fighting piracy to please someone too lazy to uninstall emulation software and just use the CD like 99% of gamers.
Yeah, because we all still use code wheels and look up the fifth word in the second paragraph on page 89 of the manual. :rolleyes:

I hate how everyone immediately assumes people only use Daemon Tools for piracy. Yes, Daemon-tools can be used for piracy. The thing is, pirated games already have the copy protection removed via a crack so pirates could just as easily burn the game. Daemon tools is there as a convenience to pirates, not a necessity. Since a pirated game's cd key won't work online, it doesn't matter that they use a no-cd crack.

However, the same cannot be said of people who actually buy the game. I buy all my games and I play online, so a no-cd key crack is not an option. So what do I do? I image the disc and mount it with daemon-tools. Now I can have Doom3, Farcry, Painkiller, and any other game I want just a click away. I just toss my cd's in a case and put it away. Call me lazy, but that's where daemon tools is needed. It isn't needed to pirate.

I just made a copy of Final Fantasy 7 for the Playstation. My reason is I want to keep my original in mint condition.

Bob002 said:
That's like saying "I'm sorry, you have a CD burner, therefore you have the potential to copy the game, so until you uninstall that CD burner, you cannot play this game."
Actually, it is more likely that the next step would be for them to say: "We have detected CD pirating SOFTWARE (i.e. Nero, Roxio, etc.) installed on your machine, so you are going to have to uninstall it before you can play our game." or "We have detected that you have enough free space on your hard drive to make a copy of the game, we cannot allow you to play it until you fill it up with (pRon) something first.

I would agree that there are many legitimate reasons to play games from the hard drive as opposed to the CD which would include speed, (don't respond if you are not old enough to remember when games DID frequently access the CD to deliver much of the content like music, levels, etc.), noise, ease of use (Me = older gamer + large hard drives = probably 30 - 40 games installed, which does make it a little cumbersome to keep them all right there next to the computer in some usable order), to play a game you own even though the 2-year-old used the shiny side of the CD to "mop" the tile floor, and on and on.

I would also agree that many people using Alcohol and the like do so in order to illegaly play games. To think otherwise is naive. I don't know that this is a reason to disallow it's concurrent use. If so, then maybe the government should hire EA to work on gun control, or drunken driving or the like. :rolleyes: "What? You want to purchase another drink? Well, I see that you have keys, so you can buy as many as you want, but we will not be able to serve them to you until you sell that vehicle."

Ultimately it is EA's prerogative to do what they feel is necessary to protect their game as long as it is legal, and it is your prerogative to make a decision to purchase or pass on a game based on your support of their game-making decisions. I think that your decision to purchase and play games legally is admirable, as is your decision to inform them in a civil manner of your feelings about the subject.

Those who say that it will not change are letting their lack of decision make a decision for them. If just 10%-20% of gamers were to petition against a game due to issues like this, it might be enough to cause a change at EA or any company making software.

<----- thanks xENo! :D

I would also agree that many people using Alcohol and the like do so in order to illegaly play games

You are incorrect, 90% of the ISOs I've ever downloaded that have Safedisc or SecuROM et al could not be used without a No CD Hack, all the image was good for was installation. Didn't matter how many emulation options I had turned on in Daemon tools the game would not accept the mounted image. Most of the pirates that publish the aforementioned ISOs don't rip them in RAW DAO with a good reader. I've made images of all my legally purchased and owned BF42 and Warcraft 3 discs and they have no problem with Daemon tools. For illegal software, most are just going to NoCD patch. For the legal stuff they'll actually USE Daemon tools to run the game.

[disclaimer] Mind you my downloading of bootleg software was for educational and experimental purposes. [/disclaimer]

Mr_Evil said:
You are incorrect

I would also agree that many people (Not everyone, and especially not those with "Evil" in their online persons names) using Alcohol and the like do so in order to illegaly play games.

See, fixed it now so as not to besmirch your character. :D

Back