EVGA RMA replacement a rip off?

I find it extremely amusing that half these people DON'T register their card right away. Then they cry about it. Reading the box helps a ton.
I should probably also note that I've had great a RMA experience eVGA.

I find it extremely amusing that half these people DON'T register their card right away. Then they cry about it. Reading the box helps a ton.
I should probably also note that I've had great a RMA experience eVGA.

I had a great experience the first time I RMA'd with them (7900gt issue and they cross shipped). But my last two have been horrid, no communication whatsoever they never answer emails and take forever to process anything. I got so angry I ended up buying an Asus 8800gtx and am going to sell the 8800gt I get back from them in 9.2 years :rolleyes:

I had a great experience the first time I RMA'd with them (7900gt issue and they cross shipped). But my last two have been horrid, no communication whatsoever they never answer emails and take forever to process anything. I got so angry I ended up buying an Asus 8800gtx and am going to sell the 8800gt I get back from them in 9.2 years :rolleyes:
I am sorry to hear that, but if you really need an immediate response... i suggest that you consider calling in to support. Also, if you cant get a resolution please PM me for help. I am only posting this in this thread since you have the exact same reply in another thread.

I am sorry to hear that, but if you really need an immediate response... i suggest that you consider calling in to support. Also, if you cant get a resolution please PM me for help. I am only posting this in this thread since you have the exact same reply in another thread.

I did PM you. I admit I have not called, I try not to because I get rude on the phone more than in a text format and I try to be civil.

indeed you did, but i was not made aware of the fact that your RMA was delayed. Also, emails tend to be delayed a few days or more unlike phone calls which get resolved immediately. Thats what im trying to suggest, if you call us we can fix your issue that moment.

Seconded on the calling. While they are good with e-mails, I had a BIOS e-mailed to me in two days. They are even better with calls, I was able to change the shipping destination of my RMA in about 5 minutes.

Dude the warranty makes it so obvious that you need to register. I'm glad I finally read one of these threads of yours at home so I had a chance to take a picture of what I received from Evga.. back in Feb 2007 or whenever I bought my card.

Back of the box, clearly states that you need to register it.

Inside of each flap, clearly stating you have 30 days to do so, with the 30 nice and BIG. This sticker takes up 6 inches or so and is clearly visible. Its not their fault you failed at reading.

Close up

Thanks to jmackay for going to the trouble of posting the pictures of the box. He's also posted them on the "EVGA Lifetime Warranty warning" thread, where they are more on topic, so I've posted my response to them there: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1254170

Some clarification on the cosmetics of the RMA card EVGA sent me: I don't really care about the cosmetics. I generally donate my outdated computers, not try to sell them on eBay, and the cards are inside the box, so who cares about scratches on the fan cowling? What bothers me is what it implies, that I got an old card that is likely to be pretty much at the end of its lifetime.

And THAT wouldn't be a problem for me if EVGA made good on their Lifetime Warranty. It would be a very reasonable way for them to support what has to be a costly warranty offer. So if my card dies and I get an older one back that works for a while, then IT dies and I have to get another RMA replacement...this is OK by me. Yes, the higher chance of having to RMA again is an inconvenience, but it's a reasonable meeting halfway. If this was all there is to it, I would applaud EVGA for figuring out a really clever way to make good on an amazing warranty offer.

But as it stands now, I've been ripped off of the promised Lifetime Warranty. Wether it's my own fault and I deserve it as some have suggested, or it's a scam that I fell for, the end result is the same: I've been given a replacement card that very likely is at the end of its lifetime, and the "Lifetime Warranty" I thought I had has morphed into a 1-year warranty that is about to expire. So that is my complaint.

It's not the cosmetics, it's the rip off.

OK, it's Saturday and I've got a little spare time, so I'm going to try to answer the people who think I've got a vendetta against EVGA.

No, I don't have a vendetta against EVGA. I admit to being pissed because I think I'm getting ripped off by them, and perhaps that does leak through some of my posts, which probably could be improved by more judicious language. But what the hell, if my people skills were better than my tech chops, I could be a suit and make the big bucks.

The main reason for these two related threads is to give warning to other potential buyers that EVGA may not be the classy company many (including me up to couple weeks ago) people think it is, and perhaps a closer look at the company policies would be in order before laying out several hundred dollars on their products.

There is a second reason for the posts. It appears that EVGA was a truly exceptional company, and has honestly tried to be at the top of the heap in how they treat their customers. But it also appears this has changed, most likely coming from the top. I believe the tech and support people are still the classy, dedicated people those who have dealt with EVGA over some time consider them to be. That includes RussianHAXOR who hasn't been much of a help to me because he is stuck defending the company line, but who seems to truly want to help people, and judging from other posts by him, has mostly been successful at doing just that.

The "Lifetime Warranty" started as a remarkable attempt at being a really good guy among tech companies, a company that caters to and really supports enthusiasts. But like many, perhaps most small companies on the way to becoming large companies, the great people who started it all get swept aside at least at the policy level by the suits that come in and are only interested in the bottom line. Companies get started by visionaries but they almost always get taken over by the bottom line types the investors bring in, and these guys are rarely interested in anything but making a profit. In fact is it a legal requirement, called the fiduciary duty. It's a weakness in the whole corporate setup, but that's grist for another mill.

So what happens when a company like EVGA starts with something really innovative and customer oriented but financially risky like the original Lifetime Warranty deal or the 90 day step up program, is that the bean counters that gain control of the company start making changes geared toward making more money for the investors. This gets even worse if the company is struggling financially.

Which brings me to the 2nd reason for my posts: When this happens, nearly always it's not something most of the company is happy with, it's forced on them by management. This is clearly the case with the Lifetime Warranty policy change, which has morphed into the current slightly sleazy semi-hidden 30 day gotcha. The support person I talked to about this originally said, "I agree the cards should just be covered if you are the original purchaser, but I don't make policy and there is nothing I can do." That is as nearly as I can remember it a direct quote.

So a public airing of what does appear to be a wrong turn by EVGA may very well help the good guys who are still with the company to make their case that, no, sleazy tactics like this do not really help the bottom line in the long run. If EVGA, at the core, is as good a company as many here think it is, then ultimately it will benifit from some light shed on its less savory policies.

So, no, I don't have a vendetta against EVGA. I see a company that started with the best of intentions. I hope they can get back there once again.

Video cards don't just fail after a year. You overclocked it and broke it and now you want warranty service.

I don't blame evga for sending you something back that isn't new.

not true my evga 7800gt was never overclocked and it just failed after a year. but they sent my a 7900gs to replace it and it was new about 3 weeks ago

... But as it stands now, I've been ripped off of the promised Lifetime Warranty. Wether it's my own fault and I deserve it as some have suggested, or it's a scam that I fell for, the end result is the same: I've been given a replacement card that very likely is at the end of its lifetime, and the "Lifetime Warranty" I thought I had has morphed into a 1-year warranty that is about to expire. So that is my complaint.
It's not the cosmetics, it's the rip off.

I don't see how you are still going on about this... That's what happens when you don't register for the lifetime warranty. It becomes a 1 year warranty. Cause and effect. You have no one to blame but yourself for your current situation. I truly have no sympathy for you, and I hope that no one else takes your lambasting of a good company to heart.

I remember when Dell was "really good" and untold thousands got in line to buy their stuff. The service started to tank. I don't think EVGA is a bad company but when so many people jump on one companies bandwagon its just a matter of time until some falloff. Even if they hire all the service people they need, at some point they start to hire the putz today that they would have passed on yesterday. You obviously got a putz with your card.

You show remarkable certitude for facts not in evidence. Your real name isn't GW Bush by any chance?

For the record, and not that it should matter, I never overclocked the card - the damn things run too hot for me to be comfortable with that.

Stop lying....admit you overclocked the card to get a few more fps and be happy with what you got from EVGA.

Computer parts don't just break....people break them.

wow what?

wow, i'm totally wrong

or

wow, i'm a total dickhead for telling this guy the truth?

I'll bet ANYTHING that this dude OC'd the crap out of his original card and he's blaming EVGA for
sending him a crudded up replacement.

wow what?

wow, i'm totally wrong

or

wow, i'm a total dickhead for telling this guy the truth?

I'll bet ANYTHING that this dude OC'd the crap out of his original card and he's blaming EVGA for
sending him a crudded up replacement.

I am not defending the op or evga, and he could have oc'd his card to the f'in moon and back and its fine, evga allows this. So I don't get your point on this, so what if he overclocked his card? Maybe he didn't and it just died. Plenty of computer components just go bad.

I would be irritated as well if the card they sent back was physically in bad shape even if it worked fine it would not be acceptable to me as I like to keep my belongings in good condition.

I am not defending the op or evga, and he could have oc'd his card to the f'in moon and back and its fine, evga allows this. So I don't get your point on this, so what if he overclocked his card? Maybe he didn't and it just died. Plenty of computer components just go bad.

I would be irritated as well if the card they sent back was physically in bad shape even if it worked fine it would not be acceptable to me as I like to keep my belongings in good condition.

EVGA allows overclocking,eh?

So If I buy an EVGA video card...overclock it one hundred percent just for fun.... Burn it out in a few minutes, then call them and tell them what I did.... They should send me a replacement, right?

"Hello, EVGA, yes....I overclocked my video card from 700 mhz to 1400 mhz on the core and it died in two minutes.....what a piece of crap...would you please send me another one?"

Yeah....that makes sense. That's a hell of a warranty. According to you, I could do that 10 times in as many months and EVGA should just keep sending brand new replacements, eh?

As far a keeping your belongings in good condition....that's exactly my point.

If this thread's author had taken care of the original video card, he wouldn't be having this problem, which in my opinion, isn't a problem, considering he got a working replacement.

Unless there known defects with a particular model of a computer part i.e. cheap, exploding capacitors on a motherboard, etc., they just don't die.

There are no known manufacturing issues with the 8800 GTX that I know of...if it worked perfectly for almost year, there is NO reason why it should just stop working unless it was abused or somehow mishandled.

Like I said, this dude should just take his replacement and shut his cake hole.

Yes EVGA does cover overclocking, so does XFX. Now if you kept abusing it I'm sure they would get upset and void the warranty or something.

personally, i would be upset if i got an RMA from a company that looked like a shotty refurb'ed product they tested and then sent out...
cell phone companies do that crap all the time, but they dont care if you call and bitch, because they most likely do it INTENTIONALLY...

i see this as a once in a great great while thing..
i dont think they did it on purpose.. i would think its some sort of oversight.

i have had more than STELLAR service from eVGA... i had a rma'd package stolen from my doorstep before i even got to it, and they replaced it with NO QUESTIONS.
i recently RMA'd my 3 year old 7800gt because it was causing BSOD's and they gave me a pristine 7900gs with like a 10 day turn around from the time it left my doorstep to the time the new one was in my hand.

i will go back to eGVA for all my graphics cards for a long time to come (or at least as long as I stick with nvidia cards) simply for the few instances where i have had to use their RMA/Customer services, and they far exceeded what i expected.

i think that if you simply call them and tell them that you think they have made some sort of mistake, and that you are getting very poor performance out of your replacement, they will do what they can to remedy the problem.

just my $.02

There are no known manufacturing issues with the 8800 GTX that I know of...if it worked perfectly for almost year, there is NO reason why it should just stop working unless it was abused or somehow mishandled.

Sounds to me like you know pretty much NOTHING about electronic parts. Just because there are no "moving parts" in electronic components they are still prone to failure just like anything else. Electronic components wear over time just as mechanical components do. The only difference is that in electronics the "moving parts" are electrons.
Believe it or not, resistors, transistors, mosfets, voltage regulation circuits and pretty much everything else on the card is not foolproof.
Take for example that the value of resistors changes with temperature, the the voltage fluctuation caused by the varying resistence can cause components designed within certain specification to fail pre-maturely - despite the card running stock clocks. That could potentially happen if the hsf wasn't making proper contact and the circuit board was being heated beyond normal variances thus causing the change in values to go out of spec.

Take some classes. Get an education, and stop sounding like a moron.

I read the warranty. No where does it state that you are allowed to overclock the card.

It does say the warranty is in effect provided that....

" There is no physical damage to the PCB, GPU/chipset, or components that are caused by: Damage due to improper installation, damage during modification of any kind, damage during any type of Aftermarket cooling installation, and water damage of any kind. "

"damage during modification of any kind" can be interpreted as damage from excessive overclocking because you would be doing at least some physical harm to a video card by "modding" it to run faster than it was designed.

I am guessing EVGA is very liberal when it comes to overclocking and warranty issues (at their discretion), but no where does it state that overclocking is permitted.

This is all moot in this matter, considering this guy got a replacement.

If he was worried about someone else's crud on a used video card, he should have taken care of the one he had.

Dare I say, that if a capacitor or true physical defect were evident in the card, or if evga suspected that the failure was not the fault of the owner, the owner would have received a brand new card. I'd bet ANYTHING on that, also.

My instinct tells me EVGA knew he overclocked and/or damaged the card so they sent him a suitable albeit "unpalatable" replacement. What further discredits the author of this thread, is that he calls EVGA's policy an outright rip-off, even after they honored it.

Why send someone something brand new if they didn't take care of the first one?
I wouldn't have sent him a brand new replacement, either.

i did a stepup yesterday to this http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=512-P3-N841-AR

and it says i'm 67 in the queue, and everything is pending. since i probably wont' be out of the queue until after my stepup is expired, i hope that won't be held against me, as i started the step up before my stepup window expired. evga approved a stepup previously that i decided not to do. i don't see any reason why this new stepup won't go through. c'mon evga! make me feel good about buying a 640mb gts a week before retail 8800gt's were available! :D, so in the end i will have a card with gtx like speeds for $367 :)

Video cards don't just fail after a year. You overclocked it and broke it and now you want warranty service.

I don't blame evga for sending you something back that isn't new.

Gonna have to agree here. You all know the reality of overclocking ANY computer component . You are clocking it OUT of its safe zone and into unstable grounds.. you take the risk of ending up with a paper weight, why should EVGA pay for your lack of care for the video card. Tell me when you modify the engine of your new car , drop in NOS and then blow up your car , do you go back to the car manufacter and say "My warranty should cover my lack utter lack of care for this car no matter what I did to it" ..

No you sure dont.

Sounds to me like you know pretty much NOTHING about electronic parts. Just because there are no "moving parts" in electronic components they are still prone to failure just like anything else. Electronic components wear over time just as mechanical components do. The only difference is that in electronics the "moving parts" are electrons.
Believe it or not, resistors, transistors, mosfets, voltage regulation circuits and pretty much everything else on the card is not foolproof.
Take for example that the value of resistors changes with temperature, the the voltage fluctuation caused by the varying resistence can cause components designed within certain specification to fail pre-maturely - despite the card running stock clocks. That could potentially happen if the hsf wasn't making proper contact and the circuit board was being heated beyond normal variances thus causing the change in values to go out of spec.

So basically it took you two paragraphs to say the manufacturer could have installed the HSF incorrectly?

Wow, you are educated, indeed.

I'm glad you guys from MIT are here to explain these things to me...

Wow, Ogilvy the EVGA crusader.

Parts die, all the time. Why do you care so much about what he might or might not have done? As foolish as the OP may look for how he's going about this, you look 10x more the fool for being such a jackass about it.

No one is forcing you to be such a downer. :rolleyes:

Stop lying....admit you overclocked the card to get a few more fps and be happy with what you got from EVGA.

Computer parts don't just break....people break them.

Wow... You seem to have really limited experience with computers then. No offense, but computer parts fail all the time.

Let's take a look at my PSU which just randomly failed. Howabout the 7300LE that blew up a MOSFET from sitting in my parent's media server? It was running in 2D, underclocked, and it still failed on it's own. All the other parts I mentionned in my last post too, like the P5B-Deluxe, and the A8N-SLI (which also killed some RAM and a CPU when it went down).

So basically it took you two paragraphs to say the manufacturer could have installed the HSF incorrectly?

No, he was explaining how discrete solid state electronics can fail on their own. A reality.

Wow, Ogilvy the EVGA crusader.

Parts die, all the time. Why do you care so much about what he might or might not have done? As foolish as the OP may look for how he's going about this, you look 10x more the fool for being such a jackass about it.

No one is forcing you to be such a downer. :rolleyes:

Well, why respond to anything then? Why have forums that are supposed to be informative, where people can meet and discuss and even argue various subjects and topics?

Why have objective thought of any kind for that matter....we should let people say whatever they want to unchallenged?

This guy is calling EVGA's policy an out-right rip-off. I have dealt with EVGA on several occasions and they have excellent and very reasonable customer support.

And If I think they need defending on OUR forum and it only takes a few minutes of my time, then I'll defend them.

Gonna have to agree here. You all know the reality of overclocking ANY computer component . You are clocking it OUT of its safe zone and into unstable grounds.. you take the risk of ending up with a paper weight, why should EVGA pay for your lack of care for the video card. Tell me when you modify the engine of your new car , drop in NOS and then blow up your car , do you go back to the car manufacter and say "My warranty should cover my lack utter lack of care for this car no matter what I did to it" ..

No you sure dont.

My card died after less than a year without any overclocking. The reason I didn't overclock it was because the autodetect oc settings were detected as only like 10mhz higher than stock (probably a good indicator the card was just bad to begin with). After I sent it to EVGA they sent me a dead card in return. I had to send that one back (paid for shipping in every case) and wait for another card. For all I know this card could die in less than a year because it was used and I wouldn't doubt it was someones RMA.

EVGA covers their cards when you OC them. To assume this guy OC'd to insane levels, enough to permanently destroy the card, despite the fact he would have terrible artifacts all over the place long before any permanent damage, is ridiculous to assume in this case. I don't know why so many people take a moral high ground with a company whose primary reason for existence is to take their money. It's like you've bent over backwards after handing them a tub of vaseline (that you paid for).

edit: jeez I put 'don't' instead of doubt and 'and' instead of any. I'm going senile and I'm only 26

Wow... You seem to have really limited experience with computers then. No offense, but computer parts fail all the time.

Let's take a look at my PSU which just randomly failed. Howabout the 7300LE that blew up a MOSFET from sitting in my parent's media server? It was running in 2D, underclocked, and it still failed on it's own. All the other parts I mentionned in my last post too, like the P5B-Deluxe, and the A8N-SLI (which also killed some RAM and a CPU when it went down).

No, he was explaining how discrete solid state electronics can fail on their own. A reality.

I've been building computers for twelve years. I've never ONCE had a computer part fail on
me that I didn't cause myself, especially video cards.

If a part is gonna fail, it happens sooner....not later. If it lasts for a year, it should last for a lifetime.

Also, there is not a single person who bothers to join a forum like this that does not (or has not) over-clocked their computer hardware at all.

We're all enthusiasts....we've all at one time or another, pushed our hardware beyond specs., modded our hardware with third party add-ons, etc.

If you truly believe, that a perfectly working video card just stops working after a year without some sort of user misuse, either intentional or unintentional....well....

All I can say is, I don't believe it. Not for one second.

Well, why respond to anything then? Why have forums that are supposed to be informative, where people can meet and discuss and even argue various subjects and topics?

Why have objective thought of any kind for that matter....we should let people say whatever they want to unchallenged?

This guy is calling EVGA's policy an out-right rip-off. I have dealt with EVGA on several occasions and they have excellent and very reasonable customer support.

And If I think they need defending on OUR forum and it only takes a few minutes of my time, then I'll defend them.

So you make up your own "facts" to defend them? Wow. If EVGA needs help like this, they are in worse shape than I thought.

I've already said that I didn't overclock the GPU. I didn't, I don't even know how, although it would be easy enough to find out if I wanted to. But given the shape the RMA replacement card, that option is now pretty well closed off to me, as, probably, going with a SLI setup. I plan neither at this point, but it's nice to have the options you paid for.

The EVGA 8800GTX that failed was in a stable, well ventilated Lian Li PC-V1200 case, PS was an Enermax Noisetaker 650, so the power and air flow was adequate. Card went into the Intel motherboard and never came out until it failed last month. It was not in any way abused. It just failed.

Now I've never had a video card fail before, I'll grant you that. But I've never had an EVGA video card before either.

Even if he did overclock, we do allow overclocking of our videocards at your own risk. If it fails, we will RMA it as long as there is no physical damage to the card. The key here is, he did not receive a card that is up to par and he has complete warrant in requesting another RMA for it based on our policy. But he does have to email it to our support dept. so we can review the damage and approve an rma or not.

you should just suck it up and deal directly with evga if you are so unhappy. what does crying on this forum accomplish?

you should just suck it up and deal directly with evga if you are so unhappy. what does crying on this forum accomplish?

It allows others to see things a company is doing to its customers. Some people want to know these things before buying.

It allows others to see things a company is doing to its customers. Some people want to know these things before buying.

Yep, it allows us to see that eVGA honored its own terms and agreements and replaced a dead card with a working card.

Things a company is dong to its customer? I fail to see where evga never notified him to register for lifetime warranty, or said he would get a brand new card in return. Companies don't have to send you brand new products when you RMA them.

Hell, I purchased a Corsair PSU and it was basically DOA (worked for a few hours with some random restarts then died completely). I called Corsair and they recommended I send it back to the store for exchange rather than through them because I would likely get a refurbished one in return.

You can't expect a company who warrants products for life to give you a brand new one each time it breaks. They can't afford to do so. They do however have to give you a working one, and sometimes they are damaged in shipping / your computer damages them when used (eg the people that get multiple DOA cards.. its most likely something else killing them).

While i think this is right in certain circumstances, i dont think that he has really even called into EVGA which makes me think that this thread is a bit emotionally charged. I mean look at the title, "EVGA RMA replacement a rip off"? That seems a bit strong for the situation and because of this i dont think that he is a bit emotionally charged. If he wants my help and guidance i will give it to him, but he seems to like creating new threads that have already been discussed before.

1. Evga provides recertified working RMAs
2. Evga lifetime policy requires 30 day registration

This has long been discussed and the community already knows this. It seems as though he is simply adding a good deal of emotion to his argument because neither of these policies have worked in his favor. Therefore he creates threads that make EVGA sound in an unfavorable manor...

So you make up your own "facts" to defend them? Wow. If EVGA needs help like this, they are in worse shape than I thought.

I've already said that I didn't overclock the GPU. I didn't, I don't even know how, although it would be easy enough to find out if I wanted to. But given the shape the RMA replacement card, that option is now pretty well closed off to me, as, probably, going with a SLI setup. I plan neither at this point, but it's nice to have the options you paid for.

The EVGA 8800GTX that failed was in a stable, well ventilated Lian Li PC-V1200 case, PS was an Enermax Noisetaker 650, so the power and air flow was adequate. Card went into the Intel motherboard and never came out until it failed last month. It was not in any way abused. It just failed.

Now I've never had a video card fail before, I'll grant you that. But I've never had an EVGA video card before either.

And where are your facts?

1.) You didn't overclock or misuse the card.

You said you didn't overclock or misuse the card. "Too much heat"
What proof is that?

Marion Jones said she didn't use steroids.

2.) You claim that you were ripped off by EVGA.

You received a working replacement. So where's the rip-off?

In my view, a person who basically flat out lies and implies that he was "ripped-off" has absolutely zero credibility. So how do you expect me to believe that you DIDN'T overclock or misuse the video card?

You could have said that you were displeased with EVGA customer service, that perhaps you feel that you should have received a brand new video card. NO....you said you were "ripped-off".

I have no real proof of what you did or didn't do. But neither do you.

When someone makes a strong statement like "rip-off", without providing proof himself, I question the source of the allegation.

And I maintain, that in all likelihood, it was you who caused the video card to stop working.

You could have shorted it out with static electricity, you could have overclocked it and caused it to fail, there could have been a power surge that zapped the VBIOS....whatever.

My whole point is, you should be happy you got a replacement. You should be happy that a company like EVGA is understanding about such things, instead of posting in a forum that you got "ripped-off".

EVGA doesn't need me to speak for them.....Even russianhaxor doesn't seem to be as offended as I am. I'm just calling it the way I see it.

In my view, a person who basically flat out lies and implies that he was "ripped-off" has absolutely zero credibility. So how do you expect me to believe that you DIDN'T overclock or misuse the video card?

I have no real proof of what you did or didn't do. But neither do you.

When someone makes a strong statement like "rip-off", without providing proof himself, I question the source of the allegation.

Nice job contradicting yourself. First you say he has zero credibility because he's a liar and accuse him of overclocking or misusing the card....THEN turn around and proclaim that you have no proof of what he did or didn't do. :rolleyes:

So, basically you're one of those people that think they're right no matter what despite the fact that you have no clue what happend and also apparently have no clue about electronics. Not to mention that how the card failed is not the subject at hand for the op, it's the condition of the card he received in return.

Let me help you in life here with this statement I post yet again for you.

^that right there will get you a lot farther in life than simply assuming you're right no matter what despite not having proof nor a clue.

While i think this is right in certain circumstances, i dont think that he has really even called into EVGA which makes me think that this thread is a bit emotionally charged. I mean look at the title, "EVGA RMA replacement a rip off"? That seems a bit strong for the situation and because of this i dont think that he is a bit emotionally charged. If he wants my help and guidance i will give it to him, but he seems to like creating new threads that have already been discussed before.

1. Evga provides recertified working RMAs
2. Evga lifetime policy requires 30 day registration

This has long been discussed and the community already knows this. It seems as though he is simply adding a good deal of emotion to his argument because neither of these policies have worked in his favor. Therefore he creates threads that make EVGA sound in an unfavorable manor...

Well, I'm not going to bother again with the fan boy who thinks parts never fail unless they are abused, but you are a representative of the company, touting the company line. So I have to respond here.

First, as I've already said, I have no problem with EVGA providing recertified RMAs if they honor the lifetime warranty. It seems a reasonable way to do this. I was surprised at how beaten up the card I got looked, and I'm worried it doesn't have a lot of life left in it. Worried because it looks at this point as if I've been screwed out of the lifetime warranty.

Second, I have never seen "you gotta register within 30 days or loose the lifetime warranty" discussed here. Is it a topic starter? Just hidden somewhere in a thread? In any event, I didn't see it and I was unaware of the policy. I started the first thread because it did surprise me, and I thought others should be aware of it. Now many are.

I have had two related unpleasant experiences with EVGA, that make me regret that I ever jumped from buying Asus, which I never had problems with. So I started threads here, one for each. That's what people do here, share their experiences with hardware vendors. I've also started and/or responded to threads about products I was particularly impressed with.

It may seem like a lot of threads to you as EVGA rep because they have gotten a lot of play. But still it's just two threads, one per problem. If you don't like the message, try fixing the problems rather than shooting at the messenger.

My posts here are not emotional, they are blunt. There is a difference. Now, the REACTION to them by some has been emotional, but that's not my problem. You want to apply the "emotional" label in order to trivialize the issue. But when people spend upwards of $500 for your products bailing on the warranty is not a trivial issue.

The facts are that EVGA offers a great sounding "Lifetime Warranty" on the outside of the box, but only inside the box, in small fuzzy print on the box flap, cunningly obscured by the very large print message not to take the card to a retailer if there is a problem - is the gotcha message.

This is clearly a bait and switch type scam. As you also put the warning in the little paper manual (although not at the time of my purchase last April), you probably just get under the wire on a fraud charge. But it is a scam and people should know about it.

People here should also know that EVGA takes the "recertified" concept way, way beyond what I've ever seen or heard of. I've asked if this is a rip off. Some think it is, some don't. I've said that my take is that if EVGA honors the Lifetime Warranty, it should be OK, if they don't then it is indeed a rip off. So I am waiting on response to my query about reinstating my warranty before taking further action on the RMA. It would never have even been mentioned here except it has been a week since I emailed Joe Darwin about it, as I was invited to do. But the lack of response to my email, and not for the first time, has me asking about other people's experience with EVGA.

And it appears that while you do have some very motivated fan boys, there are also quite a few people with similar stories to tell. I don't see them complaining like this about the other video card or motherboard vendors. No doubt about it, EVGA is getting an unsavory reputation. I wish I had known about this before I bought that $560 card. Warranty or no warranty, I would have looked elsewhere.

EVGA could change this all in an instant without even changing their unusual 30 day registration requirement. All they need to do is state on the box, where it advertises the Lifetime Warranty, in the same size and color type so it really can't be missed, that the customer must register within 30 days in order to validate the warranty. And of course they need to start honoring the warranties from those of us who bought the card in good faith thinking we had the warranty. That would be the honest thing to do.

This is clearly a bait and switch type scam. As you also put the warning in the little paper manual (although not at the time of my purchase last April), you probably just get under the wire on a fraud charge. But it is a scam and people should know about it.

No its not a bait and switch scam. You failed to read the materials that came in the box. I have my eVGA box for my 8800gts right here and guess what? It explained everything that you are trying to say is a "scam". You failed to read, You are putting the blame on someone else.

Take this as a life lesson to reading warranty cards and all the materials in a box.

Back