FAQ for Emachines M6805

Ok, well, it's still annoying, but at least now I know that I'm not the only one experiencing it. :D

Still, quite a lappy, especially after formatting and installing a clean XP Pro with all my favorite tweaks. ;)

Now if I could just figure out why my Winamp keeps skipping periodically... I've been forced into using Windows Media Player. :rolleyes:

~EnDarkEnd

Hello, My M6805 makes a faint clicking noise every few minutes (even when completely idle), and I was wondering if this is normal with laptops, or if anyone else is experiencing this. I don't think it's the hard drive, as the led doesn't flash at all when it makes the sound. Thanks, ~EnDarkEnd

Sorry I don't know any remedy for that annoying sound. Just so you know, my first M6805 also makes clicking sound every once in a while. I think it originate somewhere near the cooling fan area, or it could be the hard drive. Is your HD rpm at 4200? My Vaio notebook HD clicks once every 3 minutes like snapping a tree branch.

If you dare, slightly detach the hard drive just far enough so that the BIOS won't detect it (all the way out if you want). Then turn it on and listen for the clicking sound. This will reveal if the HD is the cause.

I have a question about the smart link 56k modem. i use winfax pro on the laptop for my faxing needs. when i installed winfax and used it for the first time it configured the smart link modem. now every time i start up i get this ugly ass icon in my taskbar, its like a stop light looking icon. i have looked around and cant find anywhere to remove the icon. does anyone know how to disable the icon on the smart link 56k modem? thanks a bunch

really? when i right click it and open the "show whatever" screen it shows my smart link 56k settings. i disabled all winfax start up things and the icon is still there. ill look though thanks

It's an icon for the driver, only comes up when you're connected. Winfax must have changed it's appearance settings. Look in the control panel.

Originally posted by EnDarkEnd
Hello,

My M6805 makes a faint clicking noise every few minutes (even when completely idle), and I was wondering if this is normal with laptops, or if anyone else is experiencing this. I don't think it's the hard drive, as the led doesn't flash at all when it makes the sound.

Thanks,

~EnDarkEnd

Mine does too. It kind of reminds me when when you turn off your car in the summer and you can hear the engine make these sounds like the metal is expanding/cooling. Kinda weird.

Spiderkhan

Shoot, this lappy sounds like one heck of a deal, I think I will go scoop one up, but I have a couple questions first.

1. It does have a monitor out on it right? If so, what kind of resolution can it do on an external monitor?

2. I know Best buy had a special that ended last week, Do you guys think they will run another one sometime soon?

I cant wait to get this thing, hope it goes on special again soon (if it does at all)

Thanks all

Originally posted by Johnny X
Shoot, this lappy sounds like one heck of a deal, I think I will go scoop one up, but I have a couple questions first.

1. It does have a monitor out on it right? If so, what kind of resolution can it do on an external monitor?

2. I know Best buy had a special that ended last week, Do you guys think they will run another one sometime soon?

I cant wait to get this thing, hope it goes on special again soon (if it does at all)

Thanks all

It is the BEST deal out right now for a POWER laptop!

1. 2048 x 1536
2. Yes, I heard that a good deal will start tomorrow at BB, but good luck finding one in stock!!!

Well, actually, I stopped in just about an hour ago, and the guy, i spoke to had no idea of any special going on. The good thing is, they do have them in stock!
:)
I will be picking one up as soon as the special starts!

Besides if it doesnt work out for me, i have 2 weeks to return it!:)

Oh, happy days!!!!!!!!:D

I have a m6087.. I was just wondering what are hyperion drivers?? what does it do?? do i really need it?? i updated amd driver and realtek ac'97 driver...if i was to install the hyperion driver ..which one do i need?? someone help plzz..

Originally posted by xlinkx
I have a m6087.. I was just wondering what are hyperion drivers?? what does it do?? do i really need it?? i updated amd driver and realtek ac'97 driver...if i was to install the hyperion driver ..which one do i need?? someone help plzz..

Hyperion -> Via mainboard drivers.

Ahyone know where I can get an extra power adaptor for the 6805? Keep looking and looking with no success. Thanks

that, or the demand is so high that they don't have any spare parts yet.

:)

I wonder if Emachines knew what they'd be getting themselves into by releasing this system?

Originally posted by teerexx52
Ahyone know where I can get an extra power adaptor for the 6805? Keep looking and looking with no success. Thanks

I've got two ;)

Originally posted by Grateful Lurker
Anyone know how to make the Function keys (Fn> F9, F10, F11, F12) work with Winamp? Thanks.

www.microsoft.com -> search -> tweakui

Then program the keys to == something that winamp likes.

Originally posted by Grateful Lurker
Anyone know how to make the Function keys (Fn> F9, F10, F11, F12) work with Winamp? Thanks.

In Winamp, go to preferences, global hotkeys. Then, click each action, and press the key you want to associate with it. Ex: click Stop, and then press Fn+F10.

This is in Winamp 5.02; not sure if this works in older versions.

Ok, using the latest Nero release (6.3.0.3) I'm only able to burn blank DVD-R's at 1x - suggestions?

Thanks Dale

Originally posted by Andrew275
In Winamp, go to preferences, global hotkeys. Then, click each action, and press the key you want to associate with it. Ex: click Stop, and then press Fn+F10.

This is in Winamp 5.02; not sure if this works in older versions.
Thanks, downloaded/installed 5.02 and it's all good. Older versions don't have the global hotkeys option in preferences.

I've went to cpuid.com and search for the clockgen software that matches the emachine m6805 but i can't seem to find the correct motherboard version. Please tell me which one or link. Oh what mutiplier did you set to overclock it and id the voltage need to be increased too.

Also on the atitool for over clocking the core and memory. What speed did you set it to also.

Get the CG-ICS950403 version of Clockgen.

I did not touch the voltage or anything and everything seems fine around @2100mhz. I'm not sure how much higher it can go and I'm not sure I want to find out. I just moved the FSB up. I'm really a newb when it comes to ATI cards. I have overclocked the vid some, but I really have no idea how high I can take it.
Sandra screen shot-First OC attempt

Originally posted by netdale
Ok, using the latest Nero release (6.3.0.3) I'm only able to burn blank DVD-R's at 1x - suggestions?

Thanks Dale

Sounds like you may be using 1x media, and Nero is reading it as 1x and locking the burn rate to match the media. Im not too familar with Nero, but there may be an option to turn this off.

What memory have you guys been upgrading with? I just tried some corsair ddr333 and it worked fine, but i couldn't oc at all with it so it is now sitting beside me...hehe. Think i got a bad module? It won't oc for shiat. Can these machines take ddr400? Have mine clocked to 2.0GHz.

Originally posted by Sucka
What memory have you guys been upgrading with? I just tried some corsair ddr333 and it worked fine, but i couldn't oc at all with it so it is now sitting beside me...hehe. Think i got a bad module? It won't oc for shiat. Can these machines take ddr400? Have mine clocked to 2.0GHz.

What ever ram you choose, if it's anything like a regular Athlon XP systems, you'll want the bus mhz of the ram to run at the same bus speed of the CPU, otherwise you'll lose performance even if the ram is clocked faster than the bus on the CPU. The Athlon XP cpus like to be synced with the ram, don't know about the 64bit cpus though.

Anyone else know what I'm talking about? I've seen some tests at review sites showing this.

If i had some bios features yeah, i could try a few different settings, but with this notebook i can only use clockgen, so there's not a whole lot of tweaking that can be made here. I've got it at 1.9GHz stable right now, but had my beady little eyes set on 2.0GHz, which the memory it comes with this is an easy mark. Using this corsair it just gives me blue warning screens which flash to quickly for me to read. So the RAM just doesn't want to clock any higher. I guess since this isn't my primary rig i should be happy i can oc it at all, but it's just an addiction now :)

It does 1.980 stable. Not more than 2 seconds after i set it to 2000 it gives me a blue warning screen. This memory just wasn't made to oc i guess. I think 1.980 with 768mb memory is a nice trade off for just 20mhz more.

I ordered one of these from Circuit City, and assuming the very friendly but very foreign folks at their outsourced 800 number understood I wanted the M6805 they ordered for me canceled and the M6807 they ordered for me delivered, have a question I haven't seen listed yet...

If I recall correctly, everything I've read states this comes with Windows XP Home 32bit edition. Has anyone tried installin the free 360 day trial of Windows XP 64bit edition? If not, is there a reason people have yet to do that? If so, what experiences did you have? Any comments?

Thanks!

Originally posted by Hav0k
I ordered one of these from Circuit City, and assuming the very friendly but very foreign folks at their outsourced 800 number understood I wanted the M6805 they ordered for me canceled and the M6807 they ordered for me delivered, have a question I haven't seen listed yet...

If I recall correctly, everything I've read states this comes with Windows XP Home 32bit edition. Has anyone tried installin the free 360 day trial of Windows XP 64bit edition? If not, is there a reason people have yet to do that? If so, what experiences did you have? Any comments?

Thanks!

It works. You have to manually install audio/video, but they work. Slow, pointless...

great thread here. i'm getting ready to put down my hard earned money for this laptop, but was wondering if anyone can post the following for me/us :)

1) some bios/post screenshots

2) cpu-z memory cas latency screenshot (preferably with the default ram installed at emachines, not upgraded modules)

3) does the 6807 version automatically come with the 5400/8mb hdd?

4) does anyone know the responce time of the LCD?

5) what manufacturer is the memory and memory chips?

thanks! :D

I don't think there is much of a gain to using 64bit XP right now since most apps aren't 64bit yet to compliment it, and drivers, etc. In most reporst there's a loss of performance. I don't think it's worth it till it's released.

Originally posted by Sucka

I think I'll go out on a limb and extend my experience to all DDR400 SODIMMs since they seem to be running the same latency (2.5-3-3-8) as the Kingmax TinyBGAs I tried, and the BIOS is obviously the same between all of us.

You can run DDR400 if you use only one DDR400 SODIMM. Run two and Windows will not boot. AFAIK, this is an issue with the Athlon64 on-die memory controller not actually working with the Ras-to-Cas delay (tRCD) that it reads from SPD when there are two sticks of RAM. AFAIH, the root cause of the issue is that very few sticks of RAMs actually hit their rated latencies spot-on. This degree of "fudge" is normally absorbed by the extra link between the RAM-Northbridge-CPU path, but it is unforgiven in the case of the direct RAM-CPU path of Socket 754.

On other motherboards you can get around this problem by setting tRCD one higher than rated, a 4 instead of a 3 in the case of the RAM mentioned. But as you all are probably too familiar with, no such setting is available in the eMachines BIOS Setup. :(

Thanks, kind of what i had feared.

I'm a little dissapointed at the corsair not oc'ing really at all. I know sodimm's aren't made to be overclocked, but even the cheapo eMachine memory would do the 2.0GHz i had in mind. I think 768mb of memory running oc'ed to 1.970 is better than 512 running at 2.0 as far as gaming in concerened. Reminds me why i only buy ocz for my pc's ;)

It could be possible to get DDR400 working if you found say...a very good pair of DDR400 modules :p
What we need now are DDR400 Sodimm dual chan kits haha.

Ordered my M6807 online from Circuit City on 2/23. Tried to order one 2/21 but they said they were out of stock. They had an additional $100 off at that time. I asked customer service when they would be back in stock, and they said they didn't think for some time. Then on Monday morning, suddenly they had a plenitful supply! Oh, and the extra $100 rebate was over. This really stunk! They would not offer me the extra $100, even though I tried to place my order while the promotion was still on. Fed Ex delivered machine 2/26.

Finally got unpacked & fired up Friday night, 3/5. So far I have only been reading the documentation, and trying to familiarize myself with the installed programs. I am happy with the machine so far. It appears that I have the 4200 RPM hard drive. Was hoping that I would have gotten the faster one that some have talked about.

My only major complaint is vibration from DVD/CD drive when playing audio CD's. I have tried two CD's so far, and minor vibration is such that I would not be able to type on the keyboard while an audio CD is playing. I think it would make my hands go numb. Tried a DVD movie, and NO PROBLEM! This confuses me why a DVD runs fine, but an audio CD causes the vibration. Tried a second DVD movie, and still no problem. Have not loaded any software on the machine yet, so don't know if a data CD reacts the same as an audio CD.

Has anyone else tried audio CD's? Same problem, or no problem?

This is not a big problem for me, because I have never really listened to audio CD's while working, but I am just concerned that something may be wrong.

I was amazed at the speaker quality compared to my HP Omnibook XE3 that I am replacing. This old machine had some kind of vibration or static in the speakers that made them virtually unusuable. I was looking forward to speakers that worked!

I read some comments on the AMD site about poor audio quality. I found a utility preinstalled on the machine called "Sound Effect Manager". Open sound efffect manager, then go to Equalizer tab. With music playing, play with the pre-set selections below the equlizer sliders. I found that theere is a substantial difference between the sound that these produce. I found the "Powerful" setting to be way better sounding than the others. I look forward to using this for playing music when I am traveling! There is virtually no base, but then what can you expect!

Second question regarding the lack of Parallel & Serial ports. I have used Parallel connections for my HP business color inkjet (cp1700 ?) which I use for a lot of color photo promotional materials. I also have a Seiko Instruments label printer (greatest thing since sliced bread!) hooked up to serial port. I found a Targus Mobile Port Station PAEPR090U (port replicator $120) that would provide me with the parallel and serial connections, along with convenience of fewer cables to hook up when I come & go at the office. Uses USB 2

I am not on the cutting edge of tech like it sounds most of you are. Which is better for speed and quality? the serial & parallel setup that I have now, or switching over to USB cables for both printers? If I stick with the parallel and serial cables, I would be hooking them up to the Targus port replicator, and then using the USB 2 connection to my M6807. Any difference in speed or quality depending on how I go about hooking them up?

I would switch to pure usb. Port replicators are just asking for trouble, imho.

Paul, are you sure you got a 4200rpm drive with your M6807? I ordered one and am still waiting for it to arrive. I've read a couple of different places that the M6807 tends to always have the 5400 drive, just hoping that's true...if yours doesn't, obviously that's a flawed theory...doh.

Also, check their website now. The extra $100 is back up (was last week as well). Perhaps you could go into a local store and have them update the receipt to show this weeks date and still be able to send in the rebate? Worth a try...not sure if the rebate was web only in which case they won't take an in store receipt, but it's worth seeing what they can do.

Evan

Originally posted by Hav0k
Paul, are you sure you got a 4200rpm drive with your M6807? I ordered one and am still waiting for it to arrive. I've read a couple of different places that the M6807 tends to always have the 5400 drive, just hoping that's true...if yours doesn't, obviously that's a flawed theory...doh.

Also, check their website now. The extra $100 is back up (was last week as well). Perhaps you could go into a local store and have them update the receipt to show this weeks date and still be able to send in the rebate? Worth a try...not sure if the rebate was web only in which case they won't take an in store receipt, but it's worth seeing what they can do.

Evan

They'll update the reciept for you. All you have to do is ask :)

Yeah, I've always had good luck with them in store. It's their corporate office I hope I never have to deal with again (Circuit City).

Oh well, at least they aren't like Best Buy and currently charging $1649.99 for the M6805...at least the web site. Not sure if it's less expensive in store (no Best Buy near by).

I'm just waiting on my M6807...hopefully getting it Tuesday. Really hoping I get the faster HD! Also, has anyone tried price matching Emachines extended warranty at Circuit City, or at least get some money off to buy it at Circuit City since Circuit City's is quite a bit more than Emachines? ($189 for Emachine 3 year, $369 for Circuit City 4 year)

Thanks,
Evan

Back