Getting ATI to support Fixed Aspect Ratio Scaling

Don't blame ATI I swear Nvidia never has that working ...

I've been trying to get that working on my 8800GTX ever since it got released ...

Playing StarCraft (old school baby) is kinda gay on 16x10 res when the game is 8x6.

It works for me, but it seems like every time I update the driver it reverts back to "use displays scaler". On my laptop the option was greyed out, and I had to first switch to a 4:3 aspect resolution before the option became available - lame.

ATI's on the other hand, works great and I never had to change the setting (see screenshot for proof that the driver has it ;) )

ATI's on the other hand, works great and I never had to change the setting (see screenshot for proof that the driver has it ;) )
Some panels support scaling whether or not the video card or driver do. I had laptops over 10 years ago that did it too using an fn-key combination.

Your screenshot has the same old option that's been available on certain laptops (mine excluded) for a while: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?threadid=228771

The only solution for ATI desktop users is to hunt down a LCD that can do the scaling itself, and pay a premium for it. OTOH, nvidia's fixed aspect scaling (which has 4 options, including both panel and video card scaling) has always and still continues to work on my widescreen desktop displays. :rolleyes:

I was considering getting the X3850 when it drops in price so I came to check out this thread again. Unfortunately it looks like more of the same since forever. :mad: Geez ATI/AMD, if you have to pay $0.50 per card to license it from another company just pay it already.

I think its so funny that it's seriously the deal breaker for me. It's at the point where even if the opposing card performed better I'd still go with Nvidia cuz they offer the simple feature I need (since I run a 30" with no scaler of its own)

only way to contact them is the catalyst crew driver feedback I think, found here:

http://support.ati.com/ics/survey/survey.asp?deptID=894&surveyID=486&type=web

I have written them many times now.

I plan on getting the 30" screen as well. So this is a key feature in my next graphics card. Cards will always be close on price performance because whoever is not there on performance will drop prices to compensate so I could easily go either way on my next card, but without this feature, I won't even consider ATI.

I just got a 3850 and the scaling options do not work at all... wow, this is highly uncool.

Yea....pretty much. I was corresponding with their tech support for a while, asking about this because I just got a 3850. I had a person respond to me, but it might as well have been an automated response for all the good it did. I was really specific in saying that it works if the lcd has a scaler, like with my tv, but not with my samsung monitor. The guy took 3 or 5 e-mails to regurgitate what I just said back to me. It's not possible for someone to have such a low reading comprehension while seemingly being able to write coherent sentences. I for one believe ATI is toying with us, they probably see threads like this everywhere and get a good laugh out of reading them.

I heard a rumor about this actually becoming a feature of ATI video drivers as of Cat 8.3's....?

I heard a rumor about this actually becoming a feature of ATI video drivers as of Cat 8.3's....?

I heard a rumor that the next cat revision will cure cancer and boost the performance of the 2900XT to levels the 8800 Ultra can only dream of ;)

The only surprises I have got in the last several Catalyst driver versions have all been bad. Forget fixed-aspect ratio options now (like there's really a choice :p), I just wish AMD would fix the purple color cast problem at 1920x1080p via HDMI cable.

so is this fixed now that the drivers are out?

Is it limited to a specific operating system?

Or certain GPUs?

This thread is very old. It's the reason I got rid of all my ATI boards as well.

My "preserve aspect ratio" radio button actually does something with the 8.3s. Use centered timings still does squat doodle unless it's a really oddball resolution, though.

Setup:
3850 512 Cat. v8.3
HannsG HW191D native res 1440x900

I tried it out with NFS:MW at 1024x768 while using the GPU override checkbox and the width definitely decreased, black bars on the sides. It did still stretch it vertically, however (I guess it was displaying at 1200x900?), so it really wasn't necessarily much better. I just got these things installed late last night and haven't had much time to play around with them. I'm gonna try to see if there's a difference when you uncheck that GPU override box (I can't remember what it says exactly, at work right now so I can't bring up CCC). I'm guessing that defaults to the monitor's discretion, but the options to maintain aspect, center timings, etc are still selectable so perhaps there could be a difference.

Aside from that I noticed that in the release notes it states that the level of video filtering is now manually configurable but I see no such options. Something I'm doing wrong? Do I need to download a new AVIVO build or something??

I have some questions

Do all radeon cards support the new scaling function of catalyst 8.3?

Is it for dvi only? My monitor has only d-sub signal, but I have an adapter which can connect with the dvi port of my radeon 9800 pro. It will be enough?

Figures! Soon after I switch camps they finally implement the feature following years of feedback pestering. Bonus points if it works on R300 hardware.

there are a bunch of questions that have been asked by people and are still unanswered?

which cards does this feature work on? which operating systems?

does it actually work?

can someone screenshot the new options on the scaling tab in the CCC?

I just tried it on my friends Radeon 9800 Pro (he has a 245BW), it doesn't work. It only works with ratios that are the same (16x10).

I'm using a 4850 with Cat 8.7 betas and aspect ratio scaling works perfectly regardless of aspect ratio. I simply enabled "Use Centred Timings" in the CCC.

Tisbob, are you quite certain it has been implemented in the new catalyst drivers? I really need to know whether I should buy an Ati card at this point, or fall back to Nvidia's 2006 drivers back when fixed aspect ratio scaling still worked. And i'm talking about at 640x480 and 800x600. This is what the New Nvidia drivers have had broken for years now. Thanks ^_^

Umm, tisbob had to use beta drivers for it to work in July 08, and I'm quite certain it hasn't worked before then. Is this what you mean by "implemented long time ago"? Do I *Have to use the catalyst betas still? Does anyone know for certian if radeon can scale the resolution of Starcraft up to fill the screen, without loosing my precious 4:3 aspect ratio? I want to make sure before I waste anymore money then I already have.

Allrighty, thanks alot on your input. I'm ordering a radeon X1600 tonight, I'm moving back to team red, for my first time since my good old 9700pro. I must be able to play Starcraft in the right ratio on my wide LCD!!!!!

at least get a 3850, on top of being a faster card, not even sure recent catalyst drivers would work with the x1600

Well, the cheapest 3850's I see at newegg start at 70 dollars. I pulled the trigger on a X1650Pro for only 37 dollars, because I always wait for PC games to get 3-4 years old before I buy them anyways and I don't need any of that direct X 10 crap because I use XPpro and Ubuntu. (I spent 40 dollars on my current card)

Well by buying a real amazing 40 inch Samsung LCD TV and using it as my PC monitor I bypass this issue entirely by relying on its internal pixel mapper which supports fixed aspect ratio , so BF 2142 looks great at full res and no terrible stretching!.

However I'd throw my support behind this no question, this has been a Nvidia feature for a long time and while even in the Nvidia drivers its been broken for long periods of time , its an important feature for legacy games and just plain lazy developers that don't bother to support widescreen monitors properly.

I forgot to ever come back and reply here. Yes, the current Catalysts (8.3 I think and up) do have the "Maintain Aspect Ratio" option now. I was very happy when I randomly updated Catalyst and saw the option had finally been added, after years of dealing with stretched 4:3 resolutions in non-widescreen games.

I have (For 1-2 days more days anyways, then replaced by 2x HD4780 1Gigs) an X1900 XTX.

how do ATI drivers fare with this feature compared to the Nvidia ones which have done it well for a long time.

As in, is it safe to consider using ATI cards again? The lack of this feature, for playing all my older games, was always a deal breaker for me.

how do ATI drivers fare with this feature compared to the Nvidia ones which have done it well for a long time.

As in, is it safe to consider using ATI cards again? The lack of this feature, for playing all my older games, was always a deal breaker for me.

yes, it has been fixed..

so it works flawlessly?

I can scale up Starcraft on my 30" and it'll touch the top and bottom, but leave black borders on the sides?

Have you figured out how to use your video card yet?

just because the option to pick it is in the driver config, doesnt mean it actually works. that would be a stupid assumption esp in the world of gpu drivers.

anyways I suppose I'll buy a card and try it out

Scaling works great on my ATI 1800XT and hannsg 28". It will add black bars, depending on what scaling selection you have picked.

I just wish that HDMI *wouldn't* scale on my HD 4650 when plugged into my HDTV without jumping through hoops to fix it. :rolleyes: Geez, how hard is it to run at native resolution when it's selected?

I get no problem with my samsung 2233SW HD LCD ( 1920 x 1080 )
It's been a problem for over a year with several ATI cards, hilariously under Linux too. While it's *wonderful* that your 22" LCD monitor works, ATI does have that stupid overscan scaling problem with HDTVs and i'd prefer to be able to use my 42" HDTV from that computer. The problem is so frustrating that i'm about to replace the 4650 with a 9500GT since I know it works. It wouldn't really be a problem if the CCC settings would stick, but the options are reset on each reboot. Great work, UI/util team!

wow, even though this thread is so old, i haven't found a single post that touched on what should be the real focus here.

The pictures posted by the original thread poster are absolutely fantastic. I just wanted to say that the little stick figure communist is awesome. I'm considering making him my new background. The stretched version is even better.

edit: i just went back and looked at the stretched commie again. lol, classic. The gun was a nice touch too.
edit edit: it's actually even funnier because each image is individually drawn instead of scaled.

Back