Got my Sharp Aquos LC-32GP1U "Gaming" 1080p display today!

My friend might read this thread so, don't exactly want to put any blame on here or call him out like that. I asked him a few times or at least mentioned that it might be a setting on the remote that needs to be changed.

He found it earlier this morning.

I just put the model number into pricegrabber and there are a couple places with great reviews that have it for ~$1200 delivered. Or those same places have the 37" one for about $200 more.

Ok, great news. The problem is fixed and it's looking great. And no, we were not using 1 to 1 pixel.

I apologize for this as we didnt not read the manual to the Sharp.

I will try and get some pictures up. It looks fantastic.

The 300 dvd screener looked incredible. Great color.

You spent THREE hours trying to get the picture looking right, come in here and totally trash the display, virtually guaranteeing to everyone that its a horrible PC monitor, and you DIDN'T EVEN LOOK AT THE MANUAL?!?!?!

Nice job you boob.

I'm a photographer and graphics enthusiast and have been looking at new displays. Ive head AWESOME reviews about the Aqueos units, and a little more expensive, I'd rather make the right purchase.

I'm itching to get the Dell 30", but everyone tells me to get the new LCD TVs like the 32". I'm just a little worried about the pixel pitch of this unit, but I need some 'confirmation' that this will be an excellent monitor for graphics editing, and critical color accuracy for photo editing. I need this to run a business, so it's crucial to be a great unit for me. Will I get eye-strain at such lower resolution (1920x1080 compared to 2560x1600). Help please! Money isn't that much of a factor, its the right unit for the price. I'd like to keep it under $1500 though as well!

I'm between this or the Westy 37w3. My main purpose is watching TV, movies and console gaming. Not as a PC monitor at all. But getting this will cost me $385 more than getting the Westy and it's 5" smaller. Is it worth it???

I didn't trash the display. I said it looked awesome on HDTV as well as the Xbox 360. I also said I would love for someone to tell me what I am doing wrong.

1 ) I admitted our mistake

2 ) If anything, I was a little heavy on my frustration

The Sharp looks awesome and ... I wish I would have waited and grabbed one.

I have two Acer 24" that I'm going to sale in order to purchase one of these units.

@ rthefley,

Since you prematurely hijacked this thread with comments like "DO NOT BUY THIS IF YOU ARE WANTING TO USE IT FOR A MONITOR", you owe it to rest of the [H] community to go back and edit your first few posts to reflect your new findings. Someone else might read your initial comments and then make a bad conclusion about this TV if they don't keep reading further into the thread.

HB

Ok, great news. The problem is fixed and it's looking great. And no, we were not using 1 to 1 pixel.

I apologize for this as we didnt not read the manual to the Sharp.

I will try and get some pictures up. It looks fantastic.

The 300 dvd screener looked incredible. Great color.

It works after reading the manual. What a shock!
No disrespect but didn't you notice anything odd when your desk top icons were off the screen on the top left hand corner?

I am very interested in this monitor. I felt the Westy 37" was a great value but better for gaming than a monitor as I felt the pixel size to be too big for text.

best

JMD

I don't know what you guys all mad (especially those damn posers). Yes, he did claim that it monitor is crappy vs he west but he did admit it was his mistake. Now get off his ass and get over it.

@ rthefley,

Since you prematurely hijacked this thread with comments like "DO NOT BUY THIS IF YOU ARE WANTING TO USE IT FOR A MONITOR", you owe it to rest of the [H] community to go back and edit your first few posts to reflect your new findings. Someone else might read your initial comments and then make a bad conclusion about this TV if they don't keep reading further into the thread.

HB

I agree. Then we ban him ;)

I totally agree that I should edit my posts. And I will go and do that.

You must understand that the whole point of coming on and letting people know about your findings on said product is to warm them.

I didn't Hijack any thread. I did however express my findings, maybe with a bit too much passion.

I hate to say this but while I may have turned some people away, even if it was a mistake ( that I apologized for ) .... still, I would rather be safe than sorry on a $1,200 purchase.

And anyone would agree with me on that point.

So please, you cannot have your cake and eat it to. Had I been right, nothing would have been said.

So we take the good with the bad.

I'm just glad we have a place like this to come and review / share what we've learned etc.

Let me go edit those posts a bit. Update: Posts have been edited to reflect the problem was solved.

:D you guys are funny. So passionate about our toys, I love it! :D

I'll got take some more pics to get this thread back on track. I know some folks have requested normal pc use pics, so i'll get a few of those. Anything else?

Appreciate the input everyone. I went ahead and ordered one!!!!

$1179 shipped from buy.com

I cant wait for it to get here! I'm gonna pick up a wall mount and stuff from work tomorrow :D

Great pictures bm5!
I was wondering if you have Counter-Strike or BF2 (or even Halo 2) for that matter.
And was wondering if you could take a couple pictures of them for me.
Im seriously considering this set. Have you had any trouble so far?

I might get rid of my 30" Dell and grab this 32" Sharp.
I'd get bigger screen AND its designed "from the ground-up" to work with any PC, or PS3, or Xbox, or WII-----no fuss, no hassle.
I saw one in the store today----wow, what awesome brilliant colors, razor-sharp picture.
So, I copied this Announcement for you guys to read.......

PRODUCT ANNOUNCEMENT:
"Attention Gamers!! "
"Sharp's all-new Action-Oriented 32" AQUOS LC32GP1U, in full HD 1080p resolution, is a "dream come true" for Gamers.
Its the very first "LCD-TV" series designed from the ground-up to be optimized for today's state-of-the-art video games.
The "Vyper Drive" game-mode eliminates any perceptible lag between the video game and the TV.
Side-mounted Terminals give easy connections to games.
A custom Remote Control has an innovative GAME button that quickly jumps into 'Vyper Drive' and activates the Side Terminals.
Six 1080p-compatible connections (three HDMI, two component, one DVI-I) assure the images from your new game console's 1080p outputs will be as clear as possible.
The LC-32GP1U's incredible 6 ms response time and its 10,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio make your amusements seem to come alive."

"Boost Your Fun Factor"!!
"The uniquely sculpted style and contemporary design of Sharp's AQUOS televisions are evident in the LC32GP1U as are extremely vivid and engaging images from the next generation of Sharp's proprietary Advanced Super View/Black TFT LCD Panel, providing high brightness (450 cd/m2) and wide viewing angles (176-degrees horizontal and vertical).
A built-in digital tuner (NTSC/ATSC/QAM) receives over-the-air standard and HD signals, as well as unencrypted standard and digital cable signals."

"This model features a sleek gloss black cabinet and includes a table stand that easily removes for optional wall mounting (wall mounts not included).
The bottom-mounted 10W speakers are detachable and a DVI-I input allows connection to your PC.
This is more than just a TV-----it can become part of the family, enhancing the decor and fun factor of any family room, living room, or den."

"Setting The Standards"
"Beyond setting the standards for performance, fun, and style, the LC32GP1U television offers other distinct advantages like impressive 60,000 hour lamp life with no worry of burn-in, which is when a still image becomes a permanent part of the screen after a period of time.
The exceptional brightness of the Active Matrix Advanced Super View LCD panel means images are exceptionally vivid....."
====================END OF PRODUCT ANNOUNCEMENT======================

Yeah I'm getting one also, going to get rid of my Acer 24's or my .... lol, new Westy 37"

The picture on it is incredible.

Yeah I'm getting one also, going to get rid of my Acer 24's or my .... lol...my new Westy 37"
The picture on it is incredible.

"Piano Black" is the name I heard given to Sharp's gleaming quality finish. A good name, cuz it shines like the polished black finish on a Steinway Piano. My friend has 37 Westy, luvs it, and is looking at Sharps also to use in other room.

Per request a few more pictures:

BF2:
sharp7.jpg

And the Sharp being used as a regular monitor
browser + MS Word
sharp8.jpg

A closeup so you can see the quality of the text. Note that the ripple and colors are artifacts of my camera. On my screen it looks perfect. But you can tell from the pic that the text is Sharp!
sharp9.jpg

I just finished mounting the unit on the wall. Still need to clean up the wires... Oh, and I got a shiny new keyboard that matches the finish of the Sharp ;)
sharp10.jpg

I'm a photographer and graphics enthusiast and have been looking at new displays. Ive head AWESOME reviews about the Aqueos units, and a little more expensive, I'd rather make the right purchase.

I'm itching to get the Dell 30", but everyone tells me to get the new LCD TVs like the 32". I'm just a little worried about the pixel pitch of this unit, but I need some 'confirmation' that this will be an excellent monitor for graphics editing, and critical color accuracy for photo editing. I need this to run a business, so it's crucial to be a great unit for me. Will I get eye-strain at such lower resolution (1920x1080 compared to 2560x1600). Help please! Money isn't that much of a factor, its the right unit for the price. I'd like to keep it under $1500 though as well!

In the past, definitely you wouldn't use an LCD TV for this work. Now, not sure, but I'd be cautious. There are specialty LCD screens made by companies such as Eizo that are especially made for color matching. Plus those new LED backlight driven LCD displays, with their wider color gamut...

sharp7.jpg

I notice what appears to be some crushing blacks on the glove (I cannot see any detail) and the shadows look a bit washed (blue push making it look 2 tone on gun) out IMO. Have you tried to adjust the settings on it yet? I also notice what appears to be a bit of a blue push on your screen. The smoke from the burning truck does not have any transparency to it. And, the burning truck is hard to see.
Is it possible it's the camera doing this? Can you take a "print screen" of this exact area again?

Take a look at this pic for reference.

As you can see there is no blue, tad bit more detail to the glove, Gun has darker shadow with no blue push, their is some slight transparency to the smoke and the burning truck is clear. <click on image to enlarge it>

Maybe a good monitor calibration system can be of assistants to you?

Zak, you are over reacting to an over looked remote setting by my friend and I.

It's not the end of the world. lol.

Everyone else has moved on, and so should you.

And honestly, the Hardocp readers are much smarter than you think they are. I think many already figured out it had to be something with the TV.

No need to erase anything. There is an update that lets people know at the very start of those 2 messages that it was a setting and that it was not the Sharp, but user error.

Anyways, let see some more pics!

I will post some pics here soon of my level 70 Blood Elf Rogue w/ Dual Blinkstrikes!

RETHEFLEY: ......
THE ABOVE "UPDATE" YOU'VE PUT IN FRONT OF ALL YOUR ERRONEOUS POSTS (PAGE1&2) IS PRETTY USELESS

ALL THOSE POSTS CAST GOBS OF MUD ON THIS BRAND NEW THREAD RIGHT AT ITS VERY BEGINNING, AND PROBABLY TURNED AWAY MANY NEWBYS FROM READING ANY FURTHER. (IT HAPPENED TO ME FOR A WHILE)

REQUEST:
PLEASE R-E-P-A-I-R THE DAMAGE YOU DID.
PLEASE ERASE EVERYTHING IN THOSE BAD POSTS------LEAVING ONLY YOUR "UPDATE" STATEMENT IN EACH ONE.
THIS WONDERFUL THREAD WILL THEN HAVE A CLEAN SLATE AND NO MORE HARD FEELINGS.
THANK YOU.

Zak just start an "official" thread to dump this thread which I agree is useless. I would rather see the strenghs and weeknesses of a particular monitor and not the ranting and raving of someone who had a bad experience.

A great way to approach an official thread is to do the same as Jim Robbins did in his 3 way comparison of 24 inch monitors. Just my 2 cents.

You skirts, I think it adds character.

;)

Seriously though, some of you need to step away from the KEYBOARD AND R-E-L-A-X

:rolleyes:

RETHEFLEY: ......
THE ABOVE "UPDATE" YOU'VE PUT IN FRONT OF ALL YOUR ERRONEOUS POSTS (PAGE1&2) IS PRETTY USELESS

ALL THOSE POSTS CAST GOBS OF MUD ON THIS BRAND NEW THREAD RIGHT AT ITS VERY BEGINNING, AND PROBABLY TURNED AWAY MANY NEWBYS FROM READING ANY FURTHER. (IT HAPPENED TO ME FOR A WHILE)

REQUEST:
PLEASE R-E-P-A-I-R THE DAMAGE YOU DID.
PLEASE ERASE EVERYTHING IN THOSE BAD POSTS------LEAVING ONLY YOUR "UPDATE" STATEMENT IN EACH ONE.
THIS WONDERFUL THREAD WILL THEN HAVE A CLEAN SLATE AND NO MORE HARD FEELINGS.
THANK YOU.
Seriously, just STFU already.

Per request a few more pictures:

BF2:
http://www.employees.org/~beetle/pc/sharp7.jpg[img]

And the Sharp being used as a regular monitor
browser + MS Word
[img]http://www.employees.org/~beetle/pc/sharp8.jpg[img]

A closeup so you can see the quality of the text. Note that the ripple and colors are artifacts of my camera. On my screen it looks perfect. But you can tell from the pic that the text is Sharp!
[img]http://www.employees.org/~beetle/pc/sharp9.jpg[img]

I just finished mounting the unit on the wall. Still need to clean up the wires... Oh, and I got a shiny new keyboard that matches the finish of the Sharp ;)
[img]http://www.employees.org/~beetle/pc/sharp10.jpg

I was gonna get that keyboard too. But ARRGGGG NO NUMPAD!

Anywho, I picked up some goodies this morning. Wall mount for the TV, and a wall mount arm for my monitor. Also picked up a Panamax power conditioner.

I notice what appears to be some crushing blacks on the glove (I cannot see any detail) and the shadows look a bit washed (blue push making it look 2 tone on gun) out IMO. Have you tried to adjust the settings on it yet? I also notice what appears to be a bit of a blue push on your screen. The smoke from the burning truck does not have any transparency to it. And, the burning truck is hard to see.

It's my camera doing this. In real life the pictures looks nearly identical to your sample image. The only big difference I can see is that the overall picture is brighter which exposes detail not visible in your sample pic. For example, the bottom row of holes in the gun barrell.

I'm not sure how a screen shot will display the quality of the set, but per your request here it is:

sharp11.jpg

As you can see it's pretty similar to your sample image:

Maybe a good monitor calibration system can be of assistants to you?
Without a doubt. I havent had a chance to calibrate this unit yet -- will probably do so soon.

Thanks for your comments.

You skirts, I think it adds character.

;)

Seriously though, some of you need to step away from the KEYBOARD AND R-E-L-A-X

:rolleyes:

Ive got really cute, but hairy legs...

All joking aside, this monitor looks very appealing espicially if I ever decide to do the xbox or ps3 thing....any formal reviews on this lcd yet?

2nd question - what video card are you guys using to get the picture quality you are posting.

Is nvidia or ati better for a lcd like this? I have a 7900gt modded to run like a 7900gtx...good enough?

ChakkaSol

What you have is more than good enough. I'm pushing mine with an ATI x850xt and it's great. I'm waiting for the next wave of Directx 10 compliant cards before thinking about the upgrade. The only Directx 10 card at the present is the 8800.

-Scorp

Ive got really cute, but hairy legs...

All joking aside, this monitor looks very appealing espicially if I ever decide to do the xbox or ps3 thing....any formal reviews on this lcd yet?

I'll post up a review of this set once it comes in. I'm hoping before next weekend. I'll be hooking up a PS3 via a super premium HDMI cable running it a 1080p, and everything hooked up to a Panamax power conditioner.

I am not sure if brighter is the word it looks like a slight gamma issue on my part. All you need to do is up the sharpeness a few click (2-3) and you should be fine. Also, I am still seeing some slight blacks on the smoke, glove truck tires, etc when there should be some dark grays. In other words it should look more gray then black. But it's hardly noticeable.

-Gamma adjustment
<click on image>

How does your monitor fair with the Contrast test (scroll down)

-good gray scale and good contrast
<click on image>

Sidenote:
We need more comparisons like this. Simple adjustments to gamma, contrast, brightness, sharpness, etc can make all the difference in the world. However, you won't know until you have something to bench it against.

Man this looks like a nice monitor but I just don't think I could justify paying more than my Westy for a 5" smaller display. It might be better if you have to sit closer to the screen, though. I wish someone would buy both and do an unbiased comparison. JimRobbins, where are you? We need a showdown! ;)

Most of the people on this forum will be using it with their computer, so 5" smaller with the same res. = better.

Also, I don't see any deals for the westinghouse around $900 or <. So I will take the sharp at $1,179.29, which is cheaper than the westinghouse (currently)

Most of the people on this forum will be using it with their computer, so 5" smaller with the same res. = better.

That's a matter of opinion. Just about everyone in the Westy thread agrees that text is very sharp, and I'm willing to bet that many would much rather have a 5" larger screen for a more immersive gameplay experience.

bandit390 said:
Also, I don't see any deals for the westinghouse around $900 or <. So I will take the sharp at $1,179.29, which is cheaper than the westinghouse (currently)

Westy is still cheaper if you shop around. It's $1051 w/free shipping from PC Nation (where I bought mine) and for $10 more than the price you quoted for the Sharp I got a bigger display with 4 years of warranty.

I'm not knocking the Sharp; I'll probably get one when they come down in price. But right now it just doesn't make sense for me, especially with all the praise that the Westy is getting as a monitor nonetheless. Or did you miss the huge thread at the top of the forum?

Back