Got my Sharp Aquos LC-32GP1U "Gaming" 1080p display today!

I'm sorry guys, it seems the digital camera that I have access too is blurry all images, including one of the desktop... until I can figure out how to adjust the camera properly for taking a picture of this screen. I am going to have to hold off on those pics for a bit.

Does the DVI-DVI to HDMI adapter cable still provide a good level of clarity in terms of text and image quality from PC to the Sharp display?

Does the DVI-DVI to HDMI adapter cable still provide a good level of clarity in terms of text and image quality from PC to the Sharp display?

Yes the quality is great. I have ordered a DVI to HDMI cable though so I can use this DVI to DVI cable for my second (old monitor)... I can tell you if I notice any increase in clarity after I receive that.

Uggh...I just ordered the LC-32GP1U from Buy.com. My CC automatically doubles the manufacturer's warranty, so that's some comfort. I *really* hope I get a perfect display because they don't accept returns on items of this type.

I think this display will be better suited to my viewing distance than the Westy sitting behind me in a box :( I have no idea what to do with it! I don't want to return it and pay the shipping charges, and I thought about using it as our primary television but I'd really rather have something bigger than 37" for that. Maybe it can serve as the primary TV until I can convince the GF that we need a 50" plasma or one of the big AQUOS TVs, at which time the Westy can be relegated to bedroom duty (cue cheesy wakka-chika-wakka-chika music) :D

Can this LCD TV support lower resolutions, for example when you connect it to the PC and you need to enter bios or boot? Or do i need a second pc monitor for that?

Uggh...I just ordered the LC-32GP1U from Buy.com. My CC automatically doubles the manufacturer's warranty, so that's some comfort. I *really* hope I get a perfect display because they don't accept returns on items of this type.

I think this display will be better suited to my viewing distance than the Westy sitting behind me in a box :( I have no idea what to do with it! I don't want to return it and pay the shipping charges, and I thought about using it as our primary television but I'd really rather have something bigger than 37" for that. Maybe it can serve as the primary TV until I can convince the GF that we need a 50" plasma or one of the big AQUOS TVs, at which time the Westy can be relegated to bedroom duty (cue cheesy wakka-chika-wakka-chika music) :D

What's exactly wrong with the Westy?
Congrats on your order btw. :D

What's exactly wrong with the Westy?
Congrats on your order btw. :D

Thanks! :)

Nothing's wrong with the Westy (well, I'm assuming that because I haven't even opened it). I bought it due to the positive comments it received in the massive 80+ page thread, but then this thread popped up and I started having second thoughts. Supposedly the Sharp has incredible image quality including better blacks and less ghosting...plus it looks damn sexy. By that time the Westy had arrived and I was still considering keeping it as a PC monitor but I've had my measuring tape out every day trying to discern which display would be the best fit for my desk and I really think that a 32" display would be the better option considering I'm only sitting 2-3 feet away from the monitor. The Sharp looks to be an excellent choice for my particular arrangement, and the smaller pixel pitch won't hurt either. I've done the measurements for the 37" and it's pretty massive from the distance I'm sitting at; I don't want to have to move my head to see different parts of the screen and it appears that would be the case.

In reality, I'm sure that I'd be happy with either one sitting in front of me. But after doing repeated measurements and hearing about the superb image quality of the Sharp, along with the fact that it's basically tailor made for gamers & PC users, I was sold. What else can I say? :p

Good luck with your order. I still cant seem to pull the trigger and buy an LCD online without a warranty against dead pixels. To me, a dead pixel is like have a small crack in the corner of your windshield in a car - you know its there and you should get it fixed but you can still dirive the car...I think thats why ordering dell monitors is so popular.

Buy.com needs to ship my order! I ordered on Friday. It went to Sent to Warehouse before the end of the night and still not shipped :(

this monitor is REALLY interresting. But does it have HDCP over DVI AND HDMI (on all HDMI inputs)??? Also is it HDMI 1.2 or 1.3?
And the last question where can i get this monitor in Canada(real store would be better), I see that at bestbuy.ca you can get a 1080p version of this monitor for 1500$ but without DVI (i know dvi-hdmi cable, but i'd like the real thing with the gamer mode and all)

thanks

If I have never owned a LCD and am going for my first from a 21 inch CRT monitor, which should I get?

The Sharp AQUOS LC-32GP1U - 32" being talked about in this thread or the Westinghouse LVM-42W2 42" ( http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_techspecs_full.php/masterid=16643153/ )?

Although many seem to think 42 is too big for a monitor, I do not believe I am one of those people. Still, I'm concerned about the response time and the color ratio numbers and if I am going to notice a huge difference going from a CRT to the Westinghouse LVM-42W2 42".

Westinghouse LVM-42W2 42" specs
Contrast Ratio: 1000:1
Response Time: 8 ms
Brightness: 550 cd/m2

Sharp AQUOS LC-32GP1U - 32" specs
Static Contrast Ratio: 2000:1
Contrast Ratio: 10000:1
Response Time: 6 ms
Brightness: 450 cd/m2

I bring this up in this thread as it seems like the 42 is the biggest and best specs that I can afford vs. the Sharp AQUOS LC-32GP1U - 32" which isn't the biggest, but seems to have high specs and is good for gaming and video watching. (I haven't read this whole thread)

I will be using my monitor for FPS games, movies, and web design. Can somebody chime in with what's what here?

If I have never owned a LCD and am going for my first from a 21 inch CRT monitor, which should I get?

The Sharp AQUOS LC-32GP1U - 32" being talked about in this thread or the Westinghouse LVM-42W2 42" ( http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_techspecs_full.php/masterid=16643153/ )?

Although many seem to think 42 is too big for a monitor, I do not believe I am one of those people. Still, I'm concerned about the response time and the color ratio numbers and if I am going to notice a huge difference going from a CRT to the Westinghouse LVM-42W2 42".

Westinghouse LVM-42W2 42" specs
Contrast Ratio: 1000:1
Response Time: 8 ms
Brightness: 550 cd/m2

Sharp AQUOS LC-32GP1U - 32" specs
Static Contrast Ratio: 2000:1
Contrast Ratio: 10000:1
Response Time: 6 ms
Brightness: 450 cd/m2

I bring this up in this thread as it seems like the 42 is the biggest and best specs that I can afford vs. the Sharp AQUOS LC-32GP1U - 32" which isn't the biggest, but seems to have high specs and is good for gaming and video watching. (I haven't read this whole thread)

I will be using my monitor for FPS games, movies, and web design. Can somebody chime in with what's what here?

One of the main reasons I went with the Sharp over the 37" westy is because I want to use it primarily as a PC monitor. One thing to keep in mind is that the 32" sharp, the 37" westy, and the 42" westy all have the same resolution[. What that means on the larger screens is that the pixels will be big, and things like text and graphics will start to have a blocky look, especially if you sit close to the monitor.

I sit about 2 feet away from the monitor and it's just about right. I'm pretty sure that a step up in size would actually result in blockiness in text/graphics.

If your primary use is for gaming (i.e. consoles, etc) where you can sit back further, then I'd say the larger sizes would result in a more immersive experience.

Yes the quality is great. I have ordered a DVI to HDMI cable though so I can use this DVI to DVI cable for my second (old monitor)... I can tell you if I notice any increase in clarity after I receive that.

That sounds great. Can't wait to hear the details from you. My card is itching to be charged for this Sharp 32" LCD at any time =[. I can't stand my washed out X2gen anymore. I wish I hadn't passed on my 17" Sony with the bright view.

That sounds great. Can't wait to hear the details from you. My card is itching to be charged for this Sharp 32" LCD at any time =[. I can't stand my washed out X2gen anymore. I wish I hadn't passed on my 17" Sony with the bright view.

Hahaha... first off, I want to add that I have had some time to enjoy the TV with my XBOX 360. I do not notice any input lag at all, and I am running the games in 1080P over component cables! And it looks amazing! I have played the following games: Armored Core 4, Gears of War, Burnout Revenge, Dead of Alive 4, and Need For Speed: Carbon.

On my PC I have played Age of Empires 3, and Star Wars Battlefront: 2.... I keep messing around with the color / brightness settings... They all seem perfect in their respective environments... Having the Dynamic Contrast ratio turned on seems to be a bit bright for some games, but it brings out some interesting color details... Like in Dead or Alive 4 which felt like it was jumping out of the screen at me!

No matter what the settings are, I am extremely happy with the color vibrance of the panel and the even backlighting. No viewing angle issues either, which makes this is a true steal if you plan on watching a movie with friends. This panel may only be 32 inches, but due to all the positives that I have noticed, it sure packs a punch and is really ideal for using at a distance of 2 feet.

One of the main reasons I went with the Sharp over the 37" westy is because I want to use it primarily as a PC monitor. One thing to keep in mind is that the 32" sharp, the 37" westy, and the 42" westy all have the same resolution[. What that means on the larger screens is that the pixels will be big, and things like text and graphics will start to have a blocky look, especially if you sit close to the monitor.

I sit about 2 feet away from the monitor and it's just about right. I'm pretty sure that a step up in size would actually result in blockiness in text/graphics.

If your primary use is for gaming (i.e. consoles, etc) where you can sit back further, then I'd say the larger sizes would result in a more immersive experience.

I don't really know if that's going to be a problem. I will be doing zero console gaming on it and it will all be through the PC as a PC monitor. I not play to watch TV on it, but I will however be gaming, watching movies on it and regular web design and web browsing. Right now I have a 21" monitor and only run at a resolution of 1280x1024. So bumping up to 1920x1080 on a 42" doesn't seem THAT bad does it? I still need to measure the distance that I sit away from my monitor, but it's a good 2 maybe 3 feet. I could wall mount it and make it 4 if need be. Am I really going to see pixels though? I'm not focusing on pixels while gaming or while watching movies, so I doubt that will be a problem... will it?

this monitor is REALLY interresting. But does it have HDCP over DVI AND HDMI (on all HDMI inputs)??? Also is it HDMI 1.2 or 1.3?
And the last question where can i get this monitor in Canada(real store would be better), I see that at bestbuy.ca you can get a 1080p version of this monitor for 1500$ but without DVI (i know dvi-hdmi cable, but i'd like the real thing with the gamer mode and all)
thanks

I think I saw the specs somewhere that both the hdmi and dvi is hdcp and that the hdmi is 1.3. I do know that the 3 hdmi, 1 dvi and 2 component is 1080p. I just cant confirm cause sharp doesnt have this lcd or its 37" brother on its website yet (why would a company launch such a product without proudly displaying its specs on its website is beyond me).

there is a 3.5mm stereo input jack that is associated with the DVI port.

Seems like sharp has thought of everything on this lcd.

This will be the last post for me until I make the jump. Is the premium for the gamer version worth it? Does the non-gamer version do 1080p over component? Anyway opinions welcome.

This will be the last post for me until I make the jump. Is the premium for the gamer version worth it? Does the non-gamer version do 1080p over component? Anyway opinions welcome.

I think anyone planning on using this for PC/console games should go ahead and get the gamer's version. It's got more features and to be honest I wasn't able to find a huge price difference between the two. I did find the regular version for less than $1100 somewhere, but I think after shipping it was about the same. I bought the gamer's version for less than the $1259 that Circuit City is charging for the regular. To me it was worth it, but there is something to be said for buying it locally and having an easy exchange route also. If I could have gotten it locally I probably would have, but the nearest CC is around 2 hours away so that in itself would have made making an exchange a hassle.

So yea, this sucks. My order has been "Sent to warehouse" for 5 days. Finally I notice today that the TV is marked as out of stock. So I e-mailed them to find out what the delay with my order was. Apparently when I ordered it it was also out of stock, as well as for the last 5 days even though they had it marked as "In Stock". :mad:

"Currently, we do not have an estimated time of arrival for your item.
You will receive an email from us once the product you ordered ships."

Was part of their response. Why couldn't they have e-mailed me 5 days ago and told me it was out of stock? I doubt they would have ever sent an e-mail if I hadn't prompted them first.

I just e-mailed this place: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...earch.dll?from=R40&satitle=200092909416&fvi=1

to find out exactly where they are located, since I live in the Chicagoland area. And if I could pick it up tomorrow, since I have it off.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
So yea, this sucks. My order has been "Sent to warehouse" for 5 days. Finally I notice today that the TV is marked as out of stock. So I e-mailed them to find out what the delay with my order was. Apparently when I ordered it it was also out of stock, as well as for the last 5 days even though they had it marked as "In Stock". :mad:

"Currently, we do not have an estimated time of arrival for your item.
You will receive an email from us once the product you ordered ships."

Was part of their response. Why couldn't they have e-mailed me 5 days ago and told me it was out of stock? I doubt they would have ever sent an e-mail if I hadn't prompted them first.

I just e-mailed this place: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...earch.dll?from=R40&satitle=200092909416&fvi=1

to find out exactly where they are located, since I live in the Chicagoland area. And if I could pick it up tomorrow, since I have it off.

I looked at that auction as well, and probably would have gotten it there if Buy.com didn't have them in stock. I was able to use a $15 coupon and shipping was only $39 bucks. Hope they are close to you; it would be great to be able to pick it up in person. Even though the seller claims shipping is "free," you know it's built into the overall price so hopefully they could knock some off for not having to ship it to you.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
To bad Circuit City doesn't carry the "Gamer" Version. I cant find it locally :(

This is the reason why I went with the regular edition and it is more than perfect for my taste. I use it for my PC as a primary monitor and with my PS3 and 360. Beautiful color, it blows my ViewSonic 2025 away! I could not find one place that carried the gamer edition that wasn't an online e-tailer, and after reading the good and bad reviews of each e-tailer, my best bet would have been going with Vanns and they wanted around $1,499 or maybe it was $1,399 so I purchased the regular edition of this monitor at SEARS for $1,244.

Hope this helps..

And yes, this DOES support 1080P over component, and boy does it look sweet on the XBOX 360!

Hi,

I live in canada(montreal), and Sears is pretty much the only place i could find where they have this tv and not be an online store.

Do you guys know other stores (Best Buy only have the non gamer version)

But something is weird on sears website: http://www.sears.ca/gp/product/B000...213?ie=UTF8&searsBrand=core&mqnodeid=16358351

They talk about the PC input(DVI logically, unless they are talking about DVI->HDMI) so it would be the gamer version, BUT they talk about 480P ... what the hell?!?!

Derfman, thanks for all the good info----its been a big help..
Question: Will Circuit City or Sears take your Sharp back and give full refund if you "dont like it"?
Or, if its "defective"?
I heard that Online stores wont take back these Sharps (but dunno if thats true).

To bad Circuit City doesn't carry the "Gamer" Version. I cant find it locally :(

Yeah it's not on the website. I would really like to get the regular version (Sharp 32" LCD HDTV LC32D62U) if I can get confirmation that DVI > HDMI connector provides clear and crisp quality from PC input. (If the quality is relatively the same as having the gamer edition's DVI port connection, then I'd gladly run to my store and jump on the regular edition)

Yeah it's not on the website. I would really like to get the regular version (Sharp 32" LCD HDTV LC32D62U) if I can get confirmation that DVI > HDMI connector provides clear and crisp quality from PC input. (If the quality is relatively the same as having the gamer edition's DVI port connection, then I'd gladly run to my store and jump on the regular edition)

DVI and HDMI are the same VIDEO(i know hdmi also carries audio)signal only sent on a different connector... Same signal, same quality. Tested it more than once...

Derfman, thanks for all the good info----its been a big help..
Question: Will Circuit City or Sears take your Sharp back and give full refund if you "dont like it"?
Or, if its "defective"?
I heard that Online stores wont take back these Sharps (but dunno if thats true).

Good question, I did not ask Sears about that, but when I go home in the morning (at work right now) I will pull at the receipt and warranty and see what type of return policy they have. Circuit City did have a return policy which I read through their website, but I do believe it actually had a restocking fee of around 14%... I would always look this up yourself and double check this, since I am running off of memory at this moment.

- Fred

I was thinkin of gettin the non-gamer one too....but now im gonna need that extra hdmi port for my Xbox 360 Elite! lol

Can we get some more pictures of this thing in action please? Just want a preview of what I'll be having very soon. :D

Thanks guys.

I was thinkin of gettin the non-gamer one too....but now im gonna need that extra hdmi port for my Xbox 360 Elite! lol

Can we get some more pictures of this thing in action please? Just want a preview of what I'll be having very soon. :D

Thanks guys.

I have good intentions of at least giving all our fellow [H]'s a good picture show... But my digital camera seems to be causing a blur in every picture even on still shots of the desktop... I am going to try the TV's Freeze button feature to freeze the image completely... and see if that will picture better... but I believe its just the camera / my not so perfectly stable hands. :p

Maybe (or maybe not) this tidbit can help:

Lack of lighting can also cause blurring to occur on digital cameras, which I presume would be needed to get a clear shot of the screen in action (turn up the ISO if possible but then you'd really need a stable platform like a tripod or couple stacked chairs or lots of telephone books.

Thanks for the info about the HDMI > DVI. I think I'm going to take that route as for my eyes are worth every penny (). I'm going to go to Circuit City tomorrow afterschool. Woo hoo. Try and stop me with any intermittent posts!

Maybe (or maybe not) this tidbit can help:

Lack of lighting can also cause blurring to occur on digital cameras, which I presume would be needed to get a clear shot of the screen in action (turn up the ISO if possible but then you'd really need a stable platform like a tripod or couple stacked chairs or lots of telephone books.

Thanks for the info about the HDMI > DVI. I think I'm going to take that route as for my eyes are worth every penny (). I'm going to go to Circuit City tomorrow afterschool. Woo hoo. Try and stop me with any intermittent posts!

I wish you lots of luck! Just some friendly advice, the box isn't too huge, I was able to fit it on the back seats of my Subaru Forester....

Also if you value those eyes, turn the backlight down a bit, it comes at max out of the box... Which isn't bad at all for most video games, but for web surfing it can be a bit extreme...

- Fred

Scorpio69 (or others with experience), How would you rate the Sharp Aquos LC-32GP1U for use with PhotoShop or general photo editing? Acceptable, or is the detail just not there? I've been looking for a good all-around monitor (graphics, apps, web, movies, gaming). I have been considering the Dell UltraSharp 3007WFP-HC and the HP LP3065. I had already ruled out the Westinghouse LVM-37W3, thinking that it just wouldn't provide the detail that I wanted. But will I find the same with the Sharp? (Another television as opposed to a full-fledged monitor.) In your opinion, is this strictly a gaming/movie monitor, or can I work with fine detail in photographs? And how do others find it for text/web browsing? (And to further complicate the matter: would the 37" size actually make the problem worse?)

I just checked an hour ago and found that newegg has added the LC-32GP1U onto their website! It's a tad more than Buy.com. I think I'm going to get it from the egg instead. Does anyone have any experience with their extended service (where you pay extra for warranty?) Thanks.

Fry's is carrying this model now for $1499. More expensive than the online places (though you don't have to pay for shipping it) but if you are the type that is only satisified with an absolutely flawless panel, buying it at Fry's allows you to take advantage of their incredibly liberal return policy if you don't happen to get a perfect one on the first (or second or third or...) try.

Fry's is carrying this model now for $1499. More expensive than the online places (though you don't have to pay for shipping it) but if you are the type that is only satisified with an absolutely flawless panel, buying it at Fry's allows you to take advantage of their incredibly liberal return policy if you don't happen to get a perfect one on the first (or second or third or...) try.

That's good to know. I didn't realize Fry's had a decent return policy. I'm hoping Costco gets this thing soon...they did change their TV return policy but its still pretty good (90 days return for any reason I think plus 2 years repair or something like that...).

I was leaning towards picking up a Dell 2707 but thank God I started reading this thread...this new Aquos seems perfect.

So if I'm going to be using the 32" Sharp primarily as a computer monitor and for PC games is there any reason for me to get the 'Gamer version with V-drive' ?

Back