GTA IV PC Benchmarks

The mission for Packie later on is just like the heist in the film Heat. Tough as nails, it took me a few attempts and my heart was pounding like mad as I tried to outrun the coppers. Most fun in a game I've had for a while.

Being the huge Heat fan that I am, that may be my favorite mission in this game outright.

The mission nets you 300000k. What the hell can you spend the money on?

Nothing.

That's probably the biggest complaint about the game itself a lot of people have: There's little financial incentive in this game and there's really nothing to spend money on after a short point.

Assuming you don't cheat, you buy the weapons and ammo you need ever so often and buy a couple of plot line mandatory clothes changes and...that's pretty much it.

I sorely miss buying properties and other assets like that which made it feel like you were making the world more "yours" and working towards something.

This would have been the perfect game for a PhysX Physics card break through. Its a pity they didnt try to get this title. I know that product is dead in the water just about. If the problem is physics and nobodies CPU is outstanding for it, then this product might have helped a bit. hmmph

This game is a blast. Better than the other GTAs, but this is the first one I've owned. Played the others, a lot, on my friend's PS2/360. I havn't played 4 on the console, but the graphics I get on my pc just doesn't compare to playing 3 on the console. It is way better! The only thing that gets me is when I notice the textures popping up slowly when I turn around. It doesn't happen very often that I notice it, but when I do its kind of annoying. Also, when I say it looks better than the console of 3, I mean just that. It in no way looks better than COD4 or Crysis.

I ran process explorer in the background to see what kind of cpu/memory usage I was getting while playing the game. Now, normally I have 53 processes running in the background, but sitting idle on the desktop, none of them use any of the cpu and memory is only ~500mb (this is on XP SP3). When I used high textures and the highest viewing distance it would let me, my memory usage went to 2GB, so ~1.5GB for the game! I have 4GB, but since I'm still running XP, I can only get 2. I'm really wanting to get Vista x64 and now it looks like I have another reason to do it. I would get texture flicker once the game maxed out the available memory. It wasn't real bad, but was more than I wanted in any game (in other words zero). Using medium textures I never get more than 1.6GB of total memory usage (~1GB by the game). This is inline of what I see COD4 use up memory wise when I'm playing the game. Though GTA IV uses more CPU cylces than COD4 does, its not by a lot, about a total of 35% more by GTA IV.

Here is my numbers:

Average FPS: 27.01
Duration: 37.16 sec
CPU Usage: 89%
System memory usage: 90%
Video memory usage: 52%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1920 x 1200 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: Medium
Render Quality: High
View Distance: 70
Detail Distance: 100

Hardware
Microsoft® Windows XP Home
Service Pack 3
Video Adapter: ATI Radeon HD 4870X2
Audio Adapter: SB Audigy ZS Audio B880
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6420 @ 2.13GHz

My CPU is not overclocked and gpu-z, in game, tells me that it is using both cores, but only about 50% on the first and 30% on the second and those are max numbers. This is in sharp contrast compared to COD4 which uses 100% on both all the time no matter what map I play in multiplayer.

I'm not sure what fps I see in game, but it feels more than what I see in the benchmark.

Yup its a great game, been playing it all day, got just finished the first elizebeth mission and the racing mission from that steroid guy.

The game runs flawlessly, makes me wonder if the people saying the performance is bad if their full of it.

The game runs flawlessly, makes me wonder if the people saying the performance is bad if their full of it.
SPECS IN RIG:
Q9550 @ 4.01Ghz @ 1.39V - Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R - 4GB G.Skill DDR851 @ 4.0-4-4-12
Yes everybody has a quad core 300$ CPU overclocked to 4GHZ numbnuts....
Try using ANY dual core setup or even running your CPU in spec and you'll see a massive performance drop.
actually, if you'd read more then your own post you'd know that....

If you did what you just told me to do, you will see i posted wayyyy earlyer in the thread, and i have played it on a dual core, a 80$ dollar one to be exact, running a e5200 @ 3.8ghz with a 9800gtx stock gave me more than playable frames on 1280x1024, if you need proof, just ask, ill be more than happy to shut u up and send you to grammar school.

Learn to be more smart ''numbnuts''.

Edit, here it is, bman if your reading this, check it out, like i said, the benchmark scores are really far from what ingame frames are like, but like i said, frames never dip under 30, around 35-40 constant, I can turn up the settings up a bit, but it already looks good, i also have my 9800gtx on stock speeds and low fan and its running smoothly.

Statistics
Average FPS: 47.64
Duration: 37.05 sec
CPU Usage: 92%
System memory usage: 58%
Video memory usage: 96%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1280 x 1024 (60 Hz)
Render Quality: Highest
View Distance: 46
Detail Distance: 50

Hardware
Microsoft® Windows Vista" Ultimate
Service Pack 1
Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+
Video Driver version: 180.48
Audio Adapter: Speakers (2- Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM))
Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz

File ID: benchmark.cli

Im Switching back to my Q9550, hopefully i will have some leftover as5, I was just amazed how well it ran on the e5200, after hearing soo many ''IT WONT EVEN RUN SMOOTHLY ON LOWEST SETTINGS'' Statements. If your wondering frames on the q9550 @ 4.0ghz is 55.87 on the same settings.

Yup its a great game, been playing it all day, got just finished the first elizebeth mission and the racing mission from that steroid guy.

Not exactly, but again, a lesson I've learned the hard way a few times in the past and it certainly applies here: You don't want to be too near "minimum specs" on any of these games. Some games are more forgiving than others on that count. This one is incredibly unforgiving.

Statistics
Average FPS: 46.76
Duration: 37.34 sec
CPU Usage: 73%
System memory usage: 70%
Video memory usage: 97%

Graphics Settings
Texture Quality: High
View Distance: 31

Hardware
Service Pack 1
Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280
Video Driver version: 180.84
Audio Adapter: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Extreme CPU X9650 @ 3.00GHz

I searched every page in this thread and only one i7 benchie at low resolution. God, I want to see some 1920x1200 or 1920x1080 High Textures Highest Renderer View Distance 30 everything else maxed out.

Getting 46FPS in the test
Maxed out, above settings, 30% View Distance due to my GTX 260.
Real game performance is around 30FPS. I'll get the log in a bite.
Ok, i can help you a bit.
CPU@4,2, no run made @4,4yet.
Dissregard the system memory usage, i had other stuff running in background that wanted 47% of the avalible at that time.

Statistics
Average FPS: 63.41
Duration: 37.22 sec
CPU Usage: 28%
System memory usage: 73%

Graphics Settings

Hardware
Service Pack 1
Audio Adapter: Speakers (Creative SB X-Fi)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 965 @ 3.20GHz

Ok, i can help you a bit.
CPU@4,2, no run made @4,4yet.
Dissregard the system memory usage, i had other stuff running in background that wanted 47% of the avalible at that time.

Statistics
Average FPS: 63.41
Duration: 37.22 sec
CPU Usage: 28%
System memory usage: 73%

Graphics Settings

Hardware
Service Pack 1
Audio Adapter: Speakers (Creative SB X-Fi)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 965 @ 3.20GHz

Nice benchmarks for 1920 x 1200!

The i7 really eats up this game, only 28% CPU usage!

Not exactly, but again, a lesson I've learned the hard way a few times in the past and it certainly applies here: You don't want to be too near "minimum specs" on any of these games. Some games are more forgiving than others on that count. This one is incredibly unforgiving.

Thats not really what i meant towards my recent posting, my posts were made towards those people with close to better specs than mine complaining about frames, or how it runs terribly which is hard to belive when i ran it on prob the lowest budget components, e5200, 9800gtx, UD3P.

Im still waiting for altcon reply, i find it kinda funny he tried to make fun of the fact i was running it on a 300 dollar cpu, while i actually had the lowest budget performer running the game as well.

I think everyone might be whining because they can't 60 fps or better, IMO. I'm playing this thing at about 20fps, according to fraps. It doesn't seem to lag to me at that rate. Yes I do run into some spots where it drops to single digits, like when I first walk out of the apartment after loading a game, but the places and times are very few between. It doesn't even happen when I get into massive car wrecks, start shooting up a place, or even when I have to run from the cops in a couple of missions.

If they are, then they are some pretty dumb whiners. The game should perform way more than what it does now, but it also runs decently on decent hardware. I tried out the Beta 180.84 or something drivers and my frames went up by a good 4 frames but cod uo kept crashing so i went back to 180.48.

Im having a blast in the game, im on the bank mission (i hate it) and frames never dip under 38 on my Q9550, im sure my e5200 would be right up there in the 31's. My Gtx260 55nm is coming in a few days, so im a see how much of a boost i get, enough to try out shadow setting and see if its a good option. Guess 08's only game that really needed for me to overclock my old budget setup was crysis, other than that, grand theft auto runs perfect on my stock 9800gtx.

Edit: My ''Decent'' setup was e5200 @ 3.8ghz, 9800gtx @ 810/2025/1275, 4gb of ram on 32 bit vista, the game might handle higher hardware diff, but if my 380 (Cpu 80$/mobo 99$/ram 45$/Vga 149$) combo can run this game with decent settings, im sure any setup close to it can.

Yeah I have been reading this thread casper. (numbnuts) that was great by the way good one.

I dont have a quad but I am sure I can get a playable experience form this game.Time for me to try to find a deal on it

The thing im wondering if you buy it used, if once the seller uses the key under live and rockstar live if your gonna need him to change all the info to yours, if so, it might just be worth it to buy it new :(

My E6600 is at 3GHZ and my 7900GTO is at 701/712 MHZ and it's finally playable. After a couple of hours of reading threads about tweaking I am now happy with about 22-30 FPS with glitch-free graphics, except when I alt-tab in and out at times.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Statistics
Average FPS: 27.17
Duration: 36.87 sec
CPU Usage: 73%
System memory usage: 88%
Video memory usage: 14%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1024 x 768 (60 Hz)
Render Quality: Medium
View Distance: 11
Detail Distance: 10

Hardware
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Service Pack 3
Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT/GTO
Audio Adapter: SB X-Fi Audio [B000]
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz

I'm sure there are people out there that have legitimate problems running the game, but I think they are few and far between.

The only thing that is annoying me right now is that I get texture flickering on the car or ground. Its usually after I damage something or blood is on the ground. Its like the video card is not sure which to draw. It gets annoying after a while, but its only on certain things that not the whole map.

FWIW, I'm running this on a X2 5200, 3.25 GB ram, XP SP3, with a 3850 (overclocked a little). Using the commandline.txt tweak from the GTA forums, I have the textures loading for 800x600 but I'm running the game at 1600x1200 (if you don't know what this means, please read up on the tweak) with:

texture quality - medium
render quality - high
shadows - 1
view and detail distance in the low 30's (sorry, I forget exactly what they are set to at the moment)
and vehicle density I believe at 29.

Runs pretty good all things considered. I get texture flicker, too, once in a while, but that's about the only annoyance. Doesn't affect play.

I tested it out with the textures loading at 1028x768 with the above settings and it looked really nice. I think if I update my video card it may handle that better. But, I put it back to where it is because it's a nice balance of looks and performance.

To be honest, I was surprised to get this much performance from the game with all of the reports of too-high-requirements. I would love to play this in true high-fidelity, though, from what I saw trying to get the right balance, the higher settings look amazing.

Statistics
Average FPS: 36.62
Duration: 37.13 sec
CPU Usage: 95%
System memory usage: 71%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1680 x 1050 (60 Hz)
View Distance: 46
Detail Distance: 50

Hardware
Service Pack 1
Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
Audio Adapter: Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz

im new to this game. Has there been an update to the SLI issues yet?

wow, this is a horrible port. How did Rockstar manage to screw up such a good pc game?

Avg FPS: 7.8

CPU: Inte Core 2 Duo 2.5Ghz w/ 6mb Cache
Video: Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M
Ram: 4GB
HD: 7200rpm with 55% free space.

I'm using no paging file, should I set a page file size in windows xp? If so, what do you all recommend?

I'm sure there are people out there that have legitimate problems running the game, but I think they are few and far between.

The only thing that is annoying me right now is that I get texture flickering on the car or ground. Its usually after I damage something or blood is on the ground. Its like the video card is not sure which to draw. It gets annoying after a while, but its only on certain things that not the whole map.

Textures disappearing randomly is a problem. I wonder if this is a driver issue? It's obvious in Playboy X's apartment. Other than that the game runs very nicely, only 3 crashes in 20 hours play and I'm not even halfway through. Running the game with - norestrictions and setting the texture quality high causes even worse texture pop-up and textures don't draw properly.

I'm using no paging file, should I set a page file size in windows xp? If so, what do you all recommend?

I think the game fills up all the page file you can give it...

In my case it would go up to almost 4gb of pagefile.

Everybody should read this

If you have nvidia geforce get the 180.84 driver and uninstall any previous driver COMPLETELY i.e. bombard your comp with Driver Sweeper and or Driver Cleaner in safemode.

-----

Go to your GTA4 folder and make a shortcut of launchGTA4.exe. THIS ACCOUNTS FOR STEAM VERSION OF THE GAME As WELL
Cut it to your desktop, open properties and add these lines to the end of the command line:

-norestrictions -nomemrestrict -novblank -availablevidmem 512 -percentvidmem 100

Don't question the logic behind this just do it! Obviously set the number in -availablevidmem "" according to the amounts of megs of memory on card.

PLUS, while your ingame, press ESC and go to "GAME". Turn the capture clip thing OFF. You won't be able to record replays, but it's a bit smoother with it off (for me)

Norestrictions gets rid of the graphics options limits.
-DX9 forces DirectX 9 in Vista. I put it in anyways... (XP)
/high is to give the game the highest priority for resources (might just be for Vista, dunno, whatever)

Shadows: 0 (all this does is disable dynamic shadows like from car headlights. If you put it at '1' then your car only will display dynamic light)

This next bit is to make it look more vibrant and less washed out. It really makes a difference.
BTW BRIGHTNESS and CONTRAST are swapped. They labeled them wrong

Brightness (contrast): full
Contrast (Brightness): 1/3 full
Saturation: 3/4 full

Optional::

Pressing "P" ingame will turn on motion blur and a depth blur kind of effect that masks

edges (like in the console versions). I like the motion blur but not the depth one (less crisp).

Read more here http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=337.

Pressing "P" ingame will turn on motion blur and a depth blur kind of effect that masks

edges (like in the console versions). I like the motion blur but not the depth one (less crisp).

Definitely don't do this. This makes the picture real soft like the console versions which = suckdom.

The rest of those tips are really nice. :)

wow, this is a horrible port. How did Rockstar manage to screw up such a good pc game?

Cool, you just scratched the surface on your specs, Overclock your c2d wichever it is, to atleast 3.2ghz which im sure wont be a problem, then please post your video card. Remember to turn down the settings, its still a nice looking game with view/detail distance half way and shadows off.

Either way, mess with the settings a bit, dont just install, turn up everything and come crying here about how bad it runs, yes it was badly ported, but it can still run decently with some tweaking.

I have paging file in XP set very low, 512mb down from the 2gb for default. Things in general load faster even though I only have 2gb of memory. The game still uses it, but very little. What are your in game settings? I've found texture size has an effect, at least for me, on frame rate. With medium textures the game uses ~1GB of system memory. I've got the settings set up to only use about 600mb of my 1GB available memory on my 4870X2. I think in general the more available graphics memory you use the slower the game runs, with 2 core processors. I havn't tried the nomemrestrict thing though.

I'm thinking about swapping in my q9400 that I've have. I've just been waiting on getting a cooler for it first so I can get it to atleast 3ghz on my P5B.

Statistics
Average FPS: 53.85
Duration: 37.09 sec
CPU Usage: 29%
System memory usage: 62%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1920 x 1080 (60 Hz)
View Distance: 32
Detail Distance: 70

Hardware
Service Pack 1
Audio Adapter: Speakers (SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz

Still trying to figure this game out...It seems smooth except when trying to run SLI. Freezes big time....of course that was before I knew about non sli compat.

I edited my previous post to include the fact I'm using a Nvidia Quadro NVS 140m video card with the latest ~1.79 driver. I could not find a working 1.8x driver for my quadro nvs 140m video card.

The 7.8fps setting was achieved with all visual settings turned down and 800 x 600 resolution. I'm still in disbelief, I thought I'd at least be able to hit 30 with all the graphics and details turned down.

The game sped up in the beginning when I turned the file paging feature on (6GB maximum), but as the game progressed, it eventually slowed down again. But that initial time period, the gameplay was slightly faster than before with no paging file. :confused:

Everybody should read this

If you have nvidia geforce get the 180.84 driver and uninstall any previous driver COMPLETELY i.e. bombard your comp with Driver Sweeper and or Driver Cleaner in safemode.

-----

Go to your GTA4 folder and make a shortcut of launchGTA4.exe. THIS ACCOUNTS FOR STEAM VERSION OF THE GAME As WELL
Cut it to your desktop, open properties and add these lines to the end of the command line:

-norestrictions -nomemrestrict -novblank -availablevidmem 512 -percentvidmem 100

Don't question the logic behind this just do it! Obviously set the number in -availablevidmem "" according to the amounts of megs of memory on card.

PLUS, while your ingame, press ESC and go to "GAME". Turn the capture clip thing OFF. You won't be able to record replays, but it's a bit smoother with it off (for me)

Norestrictions gets rid of the graphics options limits.
-DX9 forces DirectX 9 in Vista. I put it in anyways... (XP)
/high is to give the game the highest priority for resources (might just be for Vista, dunno, whatever)

Shadows: 0 (all this does is disable dynamic shadows like from car headlights. If you put it at '1' then your car only will display dynamic light)

This next bit is to make it look more vibrant and less washed out. It really makes a difference.
BTW BRIGHTNESS and CONTRAST are swapped. They labeled them wrong

Brightness (contrast): full
Contrast (Brightness): 1/3 full
Saturation: 3/4 full

Optional::

Read more here http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=337.

You need to post that on GTAforums.com!!! That gave me a minimum 5fps increase and sometimes about 10fps over usual.

So i spent a good time over at my friends, and i let him install gta4 on his comp and it took some tweaking to get it running, his rig is a 6400+ @ 3.6Ghz, 4GB @ DDR2 @ 950, 4850 @ 700/2300 (His card runs very freakin hot compared to my gtx 260). on vista 32 bit. After a bit of tweaking, he managed to get the game more than playable, reg frames around 30, 25 while driving or heavy scenes, bearly passing the playable barrier.

Its doable running it on a x2 chip. Just needs a bit of tweaking.

Here are some screnies of the game on my rig

http://img529.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gtaiv2008123118331075oj3.png
http://img126.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gtaiv2008123118341409hk3.png

Im loving the game so far, this is prob my 08 game of the year, took fallout out of its throne, Xfire almost shows 30 hours of gametime and im not even 60% done, One of the things i love is the cars physics, as you can see from the pics, its awesome lol, i turned the car upside and had to use another car to turn it back over and did some good ammount of damage. If your wondering the car in the pics is obtained after doing brucies missions ;)

Statistics
Average FPS: 53.85
Duration: 37.09 sec
CPU Usage: 29%
System memory usage: 62%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1920 x 1080 (60 Hz)
View Distance: 32
Detail Distance: 70

Hardware
Service Pack 1
Audio Adapter: Speakers (SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz

Still trying to figure this game out...It seems smooth except when trying to run SLI. Freezes big time....of course that was before I knew about non sli compat.

wow...

anyways..i am pretty occupied with trying to kill dimitri in that helicopter...so hard to control

this game is absolutely killing me. 50 bucks and i've gotten nothing out of it but an assload of bloatware and maybe 3-4 hours of mediocre gameplay. Today i tried to launch it and after saying "load successful" it just crashes, over and over. the fact that it's fun and addicting makes it even worse.

this game is absolutely killing me. 50 bucks and i've gotten nothing out of it but an assload of bloatware and maybe 3-4 hours of mediocre gameplay. Today i tried to launch it and after saying "load successful" it just crashes, over and over. the fact that it's fun and addicting makes it even worse.

no shit, the fact that I like this game make all the glitches absolutely crazy.

It crashed maybe once for me, anyone else hate the last mission, they fucking placed a barrel right before the ramp, so you just go launching sideways, i got that down then i went too low on the heli and crashed, anyways, 6th attempt inc

question - although this game does not have aa, is it possible that forcing aa through nv control panel can be enabled through a patch?

Well, I think I found the reason for my texture flicking. It was my overclock on my memory on my x2. Turned the speed down and no more problems.

No, because the game uses some dithered light, or something like that, and is DX9, it is impossible to make a patch to make AA work at all. The two don't work together. DX10 though does, but I'm not sure a patch can take a game from DX9 to 10.

It crashed maybe once for me, anyone else hate the last mission, they fucking placed a barrel right before the ramp, so you just go launching sideways, i got that down then i went too low on the heli and crashed, anyways, 6th attempt inc

Very much so, yes.

I find that I absolutely need the 360 controller to fly helicopters in this game worth a damn otherwise I'm fine with mouse and keyboard for everything else. Even at that, they STILL haven't refined the flying controls in these games enough to my liking although I was taking a blast from the past yesterday in Vice City and was reminded how piss poor those helicopter controls were when I got to that remote control helicopter mission at the construction site. That's just hopeless.

San Andreas wasn't much better although at least you had the jetpack which was a joy to use.

Why can't they make good controls for flying vehicles in these games?

Back