GTA IV PC Benchmarks

No idea, i know for myself i can not shoot to save my life in the game while in the anihilator. The last mission was just a cock block, you will have to maneuver like a pro if your going full speed on the bike, the mission tells you to fly low even though hes shooting rockets at you, It was an awesome mission non-theless.

Im wondering why its saying im 65% done, when all i see left is the assassin missions, im guessing getting full rep with everyone is part of overall progression?

anyone tired of the shitty performance and wanting to sell the game then send me a pm with the price shipped to 44305.I will gladly take it off of your hands

if im correct, detail distance makes you see better details from far way, view distance is basically how far you can see, do what i do, go in game play and look down a road and mess with the settings, it actually changes when you move settings around, giving a good idea whats not needed and what is.

if im correct, detail distance makes you see better details from far way, view distance is basically how far you can see, do what i do, go in game play and look down a road and mess with the settings, it actually changes when you move settings around, giving a good idea whats not needed and what is.

My point was why render details at a distance you cant see...basically asking...is that what actually happens? Im also wondering does the game realize this and not actually try to render something that cant be seen.

No idea, i know for myself i can not shoot to save my life in the game while in the anihilator. The last mission was just a cock block, you will have to maneuver like a pro if your going full speed on the bike, the mission tells you to fly low even though hes shooting rockets at you, It was an awesome mission non-theless.

Im wondering why its saying im 65% done, when all i see left is the assassin missions, im guessing getting full rep with everyone is part of overall progression?

Probably, although I'll never bother since there's just no point and nothing to be gained just like having money in this game after a while really is pointless as well since there's nothing to spend it on.

After that, you have assassin's missions and the random pedestrian "side" missions. You see those on the radar with a person icon. Drive up and it begins.

That's about it. I'm glad this thing has such a robust multiplayer mode because once you finish the single player mode there just isn't much left to do unfortunately.

Incidentally...how long will PC folks have to wait for this DLC that the 360 folks are getting soon or are we getting it at the same time?

Is there a point to setting detail distance higher than view distance?

Yes.

The way it seems to work is view distance handles the major objects, namely buildings and cars, and detail distance handles everything else, like fences, trees, etc.

Setting detail distance higher reduces the number of objects that pop up on you. And view distance, even at 1, still seems to be pretty long range. Also, the distance values are not equal. Detail Distance is a short-range setting and View Distance is a long-range setting.

I currently have mine my view set at 1 and detail at 100 and don't have to worry any more about trees suddenly appearing in front of me.

anyone tired of the shitty performance and wanting to sell the game then send me a pm with the price shipped to 44305.I will gladly take it off of your hands
I'd sell it to you gladly, but it's tied to my Steam account.

Just installed it... Why is everyone complaining?

Statistics
Average FPS: 65.05
Duration: 37.06 sec
CPU Usage: 35%
System memory usage: 46%
Video memory usage: 87%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1440 x 900 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: High
Render Quality: High
View Distance: 50
Detail Distance: 100
Hardware
Microsoft® Windows Vista" Home Premium
Service Pack 1
Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280
Video Driver version: 180.44
Audio Adapter: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz

Edit: shadows are on 7 too

Just installed it... Why is everyone complaining?

Statistics
Average FPS: 65.05
Duration: 37.06 sec
CPU Usage: 35%
System memory usage: 46%
Video memory usage: 87%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1440 x 900 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: High
View Distance: 50
Hardware
Microsoft® Windows Vista" Home Premium
Service Pack 1
Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280
Video Driver version: 180.44
Audio Adapter: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz

Edit: shadows are on 7 too

Oh why should we, let's all go get the newest chipset to play a game.

So aside from turning shadows off, is there a way to get this running smoother? I seem to be CPU limited even overclocked at 4.00 ghz... this shit is unbelievable.

What are your setting your settings at? Zin. My Gtx 260 and Q9550 runs the game perfectly, hell i even tried Q9550 with my old 9800gtx, that worked, E5200 with 9800gtx, and E5200 with Gtx 260, all more than playable frames. So its kinda weird your having problems.

Try these steps

If you have nvidia geforce get the 180.84 driver and uninstall any previous driver COMPLETELY i.e. bombard your comp with Driver Sweeper and or Driver Cleaner in safemode.

-----

Go to your GTA4 folder and make a shortcut of launchGTA4.exe. THIS ACCOUNTS FOR STEAM VERSION OF THE GAME As WELL
Cut it to your desktop, open properties and add these lines to the end of the command line:

-norestrictions -nomemrestrict -novblank -availablevidmem 512 -percentvidmem 100

Don't question the logic behind this just do it! Obviously set the number in -availablevidmem "" according to the amounts of megs of memory on card.

PLUS, while your ingame, press ESC and go to "GAME". Turn the capture clip thing OFF. You won't be able to record replays, but it's a bit smoother with it off (for me)

Norestrictions gets rid of the graphics options limits.
-DX9 forces DirectX 9 in Vista. I put it in anyways... (XP)
/high is to give the game the highest priority for resources (might just be for Vista, dunno, whatever)

Shadows: 0 (all this does is disable dynamic shadows like from car headlights. If you put it at '1' then your car only will display dynamic light)

This next bit is to make it look more vibrant and less washed out. It really makes a difference.
BTW BRIGHTNESS and CONTRAST are swapped. They labeled them wrong

Brightness (contrast): full
Contrast (Brightness): 1/3 full
Saturation: 3/4 full

Optional::

Pressing "P" ingame will turn on motion blur and a depth blur kind of effect that masks

edges (like in the console versions). I like the motion blur but not the depth one (less crisp).

Read more here http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...play.php?f=337.

Thank you! I will try that, I wonder if it just has something to do with a quad core for you though. But I will let you know what I find out.

That is not the last mission in the game. When it's done after a while you should receive a phone call.

What are your setting your settings at? Zin. My Gtx 260 and Q9550 runs the game perfectly, hell i even tried Q9550 with my old 9800gtx, that worked, E5200 with 9800gtx, and E5200 with Gtx 260, all more than playable frames. So its kinda weird your having problems.

Try these steps

dude casper, you serious? i just tried your advice and i was literally getting 1 frame every 2 or 3 seconds. it was so sloooow i couldn't believe it.

i'm gonna try just the -DX9 and seeing how that works out.

Installed the game yesterday, no problems running it so far at 1680x1050. Looks like GTA IV is the first game to really require a tri core or better.

dude casper, you serious? i just tried your advice and i was literally getting 1 frame every 2 or 3 seconds. it was so sloooow i couldn't believe it.

i'm gonna try just the -DX9 and seeing how that works out.

Something's majorly wrong with your installation then. Uninstall nvidia drivers, reboot, run Driver Sweeper in safe mode and clear nvidia display drivers, install v180.84, reboot, run RivaTuner and click Customize button in the Driver settings section and click 'Reset all driver settings to default', reboot. Close all other application before you run the game the first time. Run the game and set the resolution to 800x600 or whatever smallest reso you can. Quit. Go to your GTA4 folder and make a shortcut of launchGTA4.exe. Cut it to your desktop, open properties and add these lines to the end of the command line: -width X -height Y -novblank -availablevidmem Z -minspecaudio -windowed

X and Y being your desired resolution, fx. -width 1280 -height 1024. Z being multiplier of how much video-memory should be allowed to be used by the game. You got 1 gig on that GTX280 so no problem, set the allowed memory just slightly above what's going to be used according to the graphics settings you set in the game. (Launch the game in the desired reso and set graphical settings to check how much memory the game wants to use, then quit and set the multiplier accordingly). Fx. If you want to limit ~500megs you set multiplier 0.5

This fix is done to get around a graphics design that was maent to buttfuck people who doesnt have the latest and greatest videocards so they think they have to upgrade. Might prove useful in your case who knows.

-windowed should help dual cores run the game and it fixes some texture corruption glitch when you alt-tab back in.

-minspecaudio reduces the laod of audio task on your CPU

-novblank is like disabling vsync

Oh why should we, let's all go get the newest chipset to play a game.
Why not understand that you need something better than a dualcore and a 512MB card to run the latest games at any higher than lowest settings and lowest rez.
If that is understood many would not complain as they understand what is needed and that the dualhype is over and quadera is here.

Why not understand that you need something better than a dualcore and a 512MB card to run the latest games at any higher than lowest settings and lowest rez.
If that is understood many would not complain as they understand what is needed and that the dualhype is over and quadera is here.

Question is if it's fair. We pay alot more dough than xbox'ers, if you keep to a few games. Also, the release state of GTA4 on PC was absolute horrible, most likely the worst of any game for some people. I had to learn what i posted just above to be able to enjoy the game with 25 fps in a fucking window half the size of my monitor, if i up the size of the game the fps dips too much for my taste. It's just not right we have to deal with these issues with a product that is meant to be ready for sales.

There's that and this continued obsession with the idea that if the slider can't be set all the way to 100 that somehow something is terribly wrong when Rockstar explained on day one exactly how those sliders are supposed to work.

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/43354/Grand-Theft-Auto-IV-PC-Graphics-Settings-Detailed

I don't expect to max any brand-new game out, but I kind of do expect to get a little bit higher than 25 on either of the detail sliders with an E8500 @ 4ghz and a Geforce GTX 280... maybe it's too much to ask to have a game that looks better than San Andreas and still runs smoothly :p

heh, actually I found that forcing DX9 in Vista made a very noticeable improvement. The game looks the same to me, but it's a lot smoother....

I don't expect to max any brand-new game out, but I kind of do expect to get a little bit higher than 30 on either of the detail sliders with an E8500 @ 4ghz and a Geforce GTX 280... maybe it's too much to ask to have a game that looks better than San Andreas :p

I don't know...I found it didn't take much even on the consoles for this game to look considerably better than GTA SA let alone on the PC.

I've got the same videocard as you do and I'm smoking with it. The difference here is that I have a qx9650 quad core.

I think the real story out of this game is that even though dual core is in the minimum specs...it's clear that dual core folks are suffering here the most in terms of performance.

heh, actually I found that forcing DX9 in Vista made a very noticeable improvement. The game looks the same to me, but it's a lot smoother....

Cool. :)

Question is if it's fair. We pay alot more dough than xbox'ers, if you keep to a few games. Also, the release state of GTA4 on PC was absolute horrible, most likely the worst of any game for some people. I had to learn what i posted just above to be able to enjoy the game with 25 fps in a fucking window half the size of my monitor, if i up the size of the game the fps dips too much for my taste. It's just not right we have to deal with these issues with a product that is meant to be ready for sales.
Sure we pay a lot more for less always and GTA4 is a messy release but that dont change the fact that the game is CPU-bound as hell and it is unlikely a patch will change anything to the better performancewice or fix the severe VGAmemoryleaks that the game has.
It would have been better to make a pure and 100% working PC game and port it to Xbox/PS3 and let them take the performancehit, but that never gonna happen.

But the way i see it many complaining just because they cant play it with their "uber" duo@4GHz or whatever and a 4850 512/9800GT 512 on highest settings as they are used to and complaining about everbody that say, "get a quad so you can play the game".
Some are just locked in their old duopath and are convinced that a duo it the only and best thing for games and should be enough even for a CPU-bound game that requier a quad to perform even on the slowest GFX.
Many complaint are valid offcource, but some are just hidden behind the need of complain about just anything or the lack of hardware and those should be ignored 100%.

Sure we pay a lot more for less always and GTA4 is a messy release but that dont change the fact that the game is CPU-bound as hell and it is unlikely a patch will change anything to the better performancewice or fix the severe VGAmemoryleaks that the game has.

I've been surprised in the past what good patches can do. Clearly there's some coding here that could stand to be streamlined and optimized a bit more. Dual core people should not be seeing such an obvious drop off vs. quad core folks, especially if they're running with beastly GPUs and such.

It would have been better to make a pure and 100% working PC game and port it to Xbox/PS3 and let them take the performancehit, but that never gonna happen.

Of course not.

But the way i see it many complaining just because they cant play it with their "uber" duo@4GHz or whatever and a 4850 512/9800GT 512 on highest settings as they are used to and complaining about everbody that say, "get a quad so you can play the game".
Some are just locked in their old duopath and are convinced that a duo it the only and best thing for games and should be enough even for a CPU-bound game that requier a quad to perform even on the slowest GFX.
Many complaint are valid offcource, but some are just hidden behind the need of complain about just anything or the lack of hardware and those should be ignored 100%.

There's all that and we're right back to: The slider doesn't need to be all the way at 100 to have the game look and run great.

I am debating on picking this game up or not.I can get it for $29 but I dont know if it is a good idea to get it or not with my rig in sig

I am debating on picking this game up or not.I can get it for $29 but I dont know if it is a good idea to get it or not with my rig in sig

Id say go for it. I have it running with an e6700 at 3.6 with a GTX 260, and its running very well. This game really doesnt heat up my GPU too much, so i dont think its real demanding on the GPU. My buddy also has it running well with a 9800GTX but with a Q6600. We both run at 1680x1050.

The main thing i think for you would be the lack of VRAM, but your lookin for a 260 anyway.

See that is what is holding me back from buying this game.
I am thinking of just getting the orange box

See that is what is holding me back from buying this game.
I am thinking of just getting the orange box

GTA4 will keep you busy alot longer than the Orange Box, although you should also get the Orange Box ha. As long as you know you wont be able to turn the graphics options up all the way, you wont be dissappointed.

I know I wont be able to turn the graphics all the way up but I do have other games to play.
I have these games to play still
Lost planet,grid,GTA SA,
I am gonna install gta sa,I am gonna go and get the orange box today also.For $20 seems like a good deal.I like the way portal looks and TF2 will be a nice way to get away from COD MW

God, Im getting CTDs after 10 mins of gameplay, sound locks up and Im back to desktop :(.

Installed the game yesterday, no problems running it so far at 1680x1050. Looks like GTA IV is the first game to really require a tri core or better.

Guess my E5200 is a magical chip? :eek:

I wish i had extra money laying around so i can buy you a copy. Like i said countless times in this thread, my old setup E5200/9800gtx ran the game perfectly, Hell the 9800gtx was at stock as well, I wish i had the chip in my house, i left it over at my buddies house, i was thinking of doing stock vs overclocked results.

Sad thing is all i did was turn off video clip, shadows, and it ran perfectly. Yes these are my results but still, a very inexpensive combo is running the game perfectly while people with higher end hardware can not? Very weird to me.

I know I wont be able to turn the graphics all the way up but I do have other games to play.
I have these games to play still
Lost planet,grid,GTA SA,
I am gonna install gta sa,I am gonna go and get the orange box today also.For $20 seems like a good deal.I like the way portal looks and TF2 will be a nice way to get away from COD MW

Lost planet was ok, Grid seemed great but controls sucked when i had it, patches seem to fix it from what people say, Gta sa is prob still my fav gta, i wish gta4 had some of the features sa had.

I actually have the orange box around here and have not yet played tf2, portal, or the episodes yet (played em before, might replay em). Overall, 42 Hours to finish the story line in gta4, worth the 45 bucks imo

God, Im getting CTDs after 10 mins of gameplay, sound locks up and Im back to desktop .

You patch the game and what drivers you using?

Guess my E5200 is a magical chip? :eek:

You can run this game on a dual core? Actually I should correct myself, this game at least requires a quad core. During heavy traffic whenever I alt tab to task manager, two of the cores show loads of about 70%-80% while the other two hover around 50% and this is with q6600 @ 3.8.

Actually even higher then that...

gtaIVload.jpg

But I cant complain, the lowest fps I've ever seen so far was about 25 and fps usually hovers in mid 30s or even higher.

dual core does run the game fine with medium settings, especially if you use the res hack. with that I run the game at 1680x1050 on an e6600 @ 3.2 and it doesn't even get pinned to 100%, floats around high 80's/low 90's most of the time.

it's just that this is one of the few games that actually gives quads some work on high settings, so people are jizzing in their pants every chance they get, when you are actually running an xbox emulator that is blatantly abusing this hardware. people are so happy to see some stress on their parts that they totally ignore obviously shit work, it's such a waste.

actually I'm wondering what kind of settings you are running to get that kind of processor usage, traffic density on 100?? so are all the streets like parking lots? I have it set to around 30 which already seems natural to me, less than something like rush hour traffic but more than enough drivers to weave around and bust through during chases.

Yes, traffic density is set to 100 and viewing distance and detail distance are both set to 70.

So my some mysterious way, I was able to get my 3.2 ghz, from 2.13, overclock back on my e6420. Don't know how, as I was having trouble before, but a bios reflash and now I'm back to where I was before.

So I decided to rerun the benchmark to see if it helped at all. Wow, what a difference that made. I picked up almost 13 fps on the benchmark with the same settings as I posted earlier in this thread.

Average FPS: 40.00
Duration: 37.16 sec
CPU Usage: 88%
System memory usage: 85%
Video memory usage: 54%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1920 x 1200 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: Medium
View Distance: 70

Hardware
Microsoft® Windows XP Home
Service Pack 3
Video Adapter: ATI Radeon HD 4870X2
Audio Adapter: SB Audigy ZS Audio B880
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6420 @ 2.13GHz

It reports my cpu speed wrong, but it is a duo and not a quad. Who says you need a quad to pull great numbers! I have no idea why some of you are having problems with this that are running it on dual cores. I've got 58 processes running in the background without adding in any of the ones GTA IV adds, even social club is not in that list. They don't use any cpu cycles though. My overclock is 8x400 on a P5B. I've had this combo for almost 3 years.

So I just ran a little with fraps. Did some driving at night, hit a few cars on the way and got into a short fire fight with the cops before I died. Here are the numbers, ignore the 0 because a friend sent me a message while I would doing it. Lowest outside of that was 25fps.

frames: 6473
Time (s) 20.3174
Lowest: 0
High: 43
Average: 31.859

I only have traffic set to 30. Don't see how anyone could drive and still run from the cops at times with more traffic. Still though, more than playable for me. These numbers are about the same 13 fps I picked up in game from my overclock.

I only have traffic set to 30. Don't see how anyone could drive and still run from the cops at times with more traffic. Still though, more than playable for me. These numbers are about the same 13 fps I picked up in game from my overclock.

I can :D

Whenever people used to spec me while playing cs source they always would think I was on speed.

Statistics
Average FPS: 62.02
Duration: 37.04 sec
CPU Usage: 84%
System memory usage: 51%
Video memory usage: 92%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1280 x 800 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: Medium
Render Quality: Medium
View Distance: 5
Detail Distance: 5

Hardware
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Service Pack 3
Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+
Video Driver version: 180.60
Audio Adapter: Realtek HD Audio output
Intel Pentium III Xeon processor <<<<<< WTF I have E8400. :/

i'd take the majority's opinion on how a quad core is very useful for this game over one or two people saying their dual core cpu runs the game fine

Those few people actually do more than just complain after installing it and expecting it to run perfectly even though it might be a slight badly ported game. Guess your moving with the mentally challenged people. Good job.

Where is the traffic setting? Im wondering what i have mine at.

Back