[H]OT: M-m-m-m-m-ONSTER KILL! EVGA GTX 280 SSC Edition $200 @ buy.com

I feel obligated to buy one for that price and my present card is already faster. :p

damn thats a good deal. can someone please tell me if teh SSC is worth getting for 10$ more over SC?

The SSC should be a better yield, so it should clock higher.

Not a huge difference in stock clocks, though.

SSC - 648 core/1161 memory
SC - 621 core/1134 memory

why are they selling this so low?

My guess is this is where they meant to price the 260 SC and SSC (hell, it's even cheap for those) and goofed.

I bought one of the SC's an hour ago, but I don't expect to get it. Things like these just about always end the same way; order cancellations.

why are they selling this so low?
Pricing error (doubtful since there's a bunch) or trying to flush the warehouse in advance of getting 285 shipments.

Edit: I bit on the SSC and will keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks OP...in for one. Not that I actually needed one, but at this price why not. We'll see if it actually comes...

Dropped BFG to order EVGA SSC as well, I probably won't get it, but hey a smoking deal is always worth a try.

Ordered one, too.
Although I went for the BFG since it seems less people are ordering them.

The cooling on this card is going to rock compared to my 8800GT 512's, those things are turning my case into an easybake oven!

Alright some of them are saying Low Stock or Out of Stock.
I cancelled my BFG and went with the $191 eVGA SC since it seems to be clean so far, heh.

Yea they are trying to clear stock for the 285 i'm guessing which is going to come out at an MSRP of $400 I read in Evga's forum. Either way I bought the SC for $190. That's an insane deal and will let me clear out one of my aging 8800GT's

I have an unopened EVGA GTX 260 superclocked.... should I jump on these insane 280 prices and try to sell the 260 on fleabay or because I have a $300 dollar step up credit should I just step up to the 285 next week? If you guys have any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

I have an unopened EVGA GTX 260 superclocked.... should I jump on these insane 280 prices and try to sell the 260 on fleabay or because I have a $300 dollar step up credit should I just step up to the 285 next week? If you guys have any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

If other retailers follow with this price scheme then I think you'll be lucky to get your $300 back on ebay. However if the 285 is $400 like someone said when it launches next week thats a pretty cheap step-up. I'd do that then wait till the official launch date and watch the step-up page like a hawk, I've seen the SSC versions pop up on there for the launch of a card twice now(once for the 7950GT, and another for the 9800GTX), and its usually for a few hours. Once its gone its gone, but I've heard they do it on purpose just to score some in-house sales.

WHY are you guys saying this wont go through? If this was a price error then BFG's wouldnt be on sale and the XFX. Usually its one item thats wrong and just looks out of place. With the rebate evga is offering its clear that buy.com is getting rid of their old inventory in order to fill new stock with 285/295's, or they have already done so and just clearing out old cards.

I ordered one SSC. it will be a worthy upgrade from my 8800 640mb/G80 chip... that i bought for 440 when they were on sale...

I'm not a gamer, nor do I think I could actually take advantage of utilizing this card for anything else(I do not fold any longer).

Somebody please tell me if I really "Need" to do this, cuz it's sitting in my damned cart & I cannot get up the nerve to click on the checkout button lol!

I'm not a gamer, nor do I think I could actually take advantage of utilizing this card for anything else(I do not fold any longer).

Somebody please tell me if I really "Need" to do this, cuz it's sitting in my damned cart & I cannot get up the nerve to click on the checkout button lol!

Do it.....DO IT NOW :p

If you don't game, what do you do with a GTX 280? Even if you did still fold, isn't a 9800GX2 better?

Forget the 285... I'm in for the SSC version. Even with tax, this is almost half the cost of the 285 (assuming it is coming out at $400)

I ordered the SSC around 6AM EST. $190 after rebate and coupon. Perfect timing because I was looking for a GPU today. I found this deal just 10 minutes into my search. :D

I got the order confirmation from buy.com , but it's still processing. Anyone know the time-frame until it's in the "shipping phase"?

Buy.com seems to be dead. They raised the price (the price adjusted in cart). Ebay is still alive.

Edit: SC is still alive.

I ordered the SSC around 6AM EST. $190 after rebate and coupon. Perfect timing because I was looking for a GPU today. I found this deal just 10 minutes into my search. :D

I got the order confirmation from buy.com , but it's still processing. Anyone know the time-frame until it's in the "shipping phase"?

its saturday...

No gaming whatsoever?Well, a "hot" deal is actually a "bad" deal if you don't use it. It's like throwing your money away. Let someone who does game buy the card.

Thanks, OP, for making me help the economy. ;) I'm in the market for a new video card anyway, and had been looking at the 4870, but this deal is too good to pass up.

Sprung for the SSC: $220.99 + $10 IR + $2.11 Live Cashback + $20 MIR = $188.88

Waiting to see if it really shows up...

If the deal does go through, back to green for me. I hope it is legit and not a pricing error.

Buy.com seems to be dead. They raised the price (the price adjusted in cart). Ebay is still alive.

yup... I'm expecting the 'sorry but there was a pricing error on our site..' email offering to sell it at the 300+ price any time. might string us along until Monday.

hope I'm wrong.

No gaming whatsoever?Well, a "hot" deal is actually a "bad" deal if you don't use it. It's like throwing your money away. Let someone who does game buy the card.

Thank you for that feedback! Damned pushers around here trying to make me spend my hard-earned money! :p

I've got an 8800GTS SSC sitting here collecting dust, so you are right!

Good luck to somebody that gets the card that I don't buy!

Pricing error (doubtful since there's a bunch) or trying to flush the warehouse in advance of getting 285 shipments.

Edit: I bit on the SSC and will keep my fingers crossed.

This.

I bet the GTX 280 sales really dried up since everyone waiting for the better 55nm refresh so buy.com is trying really hard to dump all their existing stock.

Also just bought a Evga GTX 280 SC !!!!

Thank you OP!

A pricing error on 4 different models would be crazy! ...This is a lesson learned kids don't drink and update prices. :p

ROFL it just jumped again to 317$.....

good thing i orderd 15 mins before that haha

looks like pricing error has been confirmed?
no, the sale was the same for 200$ and then after whole bunch of people bought it it went back to 317. then it went back down to 200 and now back to 317. they are just playing with prices so it seems, or they have so few left they will just sell at a higher price since sale stock is all out

Back