[H] SLi Benchmark Analysis

GORANKAR said:
Don't know if it's possible, but put two chips on one board Voodoo5 style. Buy yourself a 300 watt AT psu to power just vc's, and your good to go ;)

If only it were that simple. :rolleyes:

R1ckCa1n said:
Don't expect to see dual PCI-e boards for Athlon XP's and older P4's, so yes a CPU. Take a look at 95% of this board and you will see XP's and older / non LGA775 Intel's.

So your telling me that 95% of the people have a reason to give up there Northwood cpu for a crappy Preshott cpu?
So your telling me that im going to see a "world" of a difference between an maxed out AXP cpu and a maxed out A64 cpu?

...didnt think so

The reason why 95% of the people on this board havent upgraded to something bigger and badder is b/c there really isnt any incentive to. I can go out right now and build myself a new LGA775 based pc or a s939 based pc but what noticable performance differance would I really get out of it?

Im waiting for a dual core AFX or A64 along with SLI. Of course if the benchmarks dont show anything then I'll probably just stick with this up untill Longhorn. I believe that there are more than a few people on these boards that feel the same way that I do when it comes to an incentive to upgrade to the "new thing" :rolleyes:

cornelious0_0 said:
Haha.....very nice. :cool:

The one thing I still want to know is how overclocking is going to work. The cards would technically have to be clocked the same you'd think....otherwise one'd be running faster and drawing "it's half" at a different speed. :p

Maybe Nvidia will just make it easy on us and incorporate an autodetect and clock testing that checks both cards in coolbits during the testing/detection and gives a result that both cards'll do.

I'm really tempted to drop any further system upgrades right now (3.2E/new ram) and just start saving like mad for a s939 nForce4 SLI setup.....seriously.....it's WAY to tempting.

What a perfect example to what I was ranting about before ;)

When I get my X800XT/PE back from VJ, should be running around 710/660 on an A64 2.8-2.9 I will have to see how I comapre to this SLI junk ;)

2Fresh said:
When I get my X800XT/PE back from VJ, should be running around 710/660 on an A64 2.8-2.9 I will have to see how I comapre to this SLI junk ;)

Excellent news.....keep me informed will ya...I'm only a PM away. :)

I really wish I had the cash to drop on a new MachII or Vapochill LS, but I'm gonna be more then happy in two weeks or less when my h2O is actually up and running. :D

GORANKAR said:
origionaly posted by -freon- "For you people talking price, there is nothing that says you must buy both cards right away. If I buy a PCI-E motherboard and video card today, I can buy a second video card in a few months when prices drop. Tons of people did that with Voodoo2 and tons will do it again with this."

Voodoo II's had no bios. And some, seemingly identical cards, bought several months apart, had issues with one another. I'm really skeptical about buying one card now, and then 6months, 3 board revisions, and 4 bios revisions later, buying another, seemingly identical card, even from the same manufacturer, and expecting it to work. Will wait and see on this one. I think I can get another year out of my current rig.

They didn't have a BIOS? Since when? The Voodoo2 BIOS info popped up on the screen when you booted your system.
I bought my Voodoo2s almost a year apart and had no trouble at all using SLI. People were also able to run two different brands of Voodoo2 in SLI without problems as well, even though 3dfx said you couldnt.. So I guess we will wait and see.

2Fresh said:
When I get my X800XT/PE back from VJ, should be running around 710/660 on an A64 2.8-2.9 I will have to see how I comapre to this SLI junk
Well, you'll easily beat 6600GT SLi (duh) and you've got more fill-rate than 6800GT SLi so that'll be pretty close. But the 6800 architecture is pretty good so even with more fill-rate you may struggle to match 6800GT SLi. But then your solution is cheaper (even with a $750 single card) and you'll get it much sooner than we can get SLi hardware! :)

Yeah, I said in another thread I think Nvidia is coming out with this too early. This is more suited for the next gen of cards, when PCI-E is more widespread and maybe even a new set of features/DirectX is released. I can say I might get one now and a second one later, but by the time later comes along I might want a freakin 6900 or 7000 or ATI xxxx or what-the-hell-ever is out by then instead if they run the new games/features/technology better.
It would be like buying a second FX 5700 today. Sure, it will run last year's games pretty damn good.. But it will still suck in todays games!

cornelious0_0 said:
I'm gonna be more then happy in two weeks or less when my h2O is actually up and running.
H20 was a godsend for my 6800GT, it got rid of the noise and the GPU load temp dropped by almost 40*C. :D

2Fresh said:

Didn't you pay for your vmod though? And didn't you have to pay for the prommie? I'd bet good money 2 6800GTs will kick your system in the nut.

The Batman said:
Didn't you pay for your vmod though? And didn't you have to pay for the prommie? I'd bet good money 2 6800GTs will kick your system in the nut.
Yup and he can run it today, which is more than can be said for SLI. ;)

See when reality kicks in and all the current 6800 series owners realize they can't have SLI without buying all new cards there will be some unhappy campers. Oh yeah, the 6800 is future proof. Let me know how that hardware video encoding/decoding is working on your 6800 :)

-freon- said:
Yeah, I said in another thread I think Nvidia is coming out with this too early.
Well, it's not out yet. I suspect we'll see a paper launch early next month to coincide with nForce4 SLi. We may also see the NV48 paper-launched before the end of the year but I think it'll be early 2005 before there's decent supply of all this new kit and we can be running SLi rigs. That gives me some time to whore myself out and earn some [H]ard cash tho. ;)

-freon- said:
They didn't have a BIOS? Since when? The Voodoo2 BIOS info popped up on the screen when you booted your system.
I bought my Voodoo2s almost a year apart and had no trouble at all using SLI. People were also able to run two different brands of Voodoo2 in SLI without problems as well, even though 3dfx said you couldnt.. So I guess we will wait and see.

What popped up on your screen was most likely a 'splash screen' , not a bios. My v2 splash screen came up when the drivers loaded, till I found the check box to disable it. I personaly had problems with creative labs voodoo2's not working together, purchased a few months apart. The cards worked fine alone and with some other v2's not even made by creative, in sli. But refused to cooperate with each other. And yes that was a rare occurance. VC's have gotten extremely more complicated since then, not to mention the number of board and bios revisions they seem to go through in only a few months time.. My original opinion of "I'll wait and see" still stands. They may have as few issues or even fewer than the v2's had. I hope that is the case. It will take 4-6 months, either way to find out. Working, and working right are two different things.

Do me a favour and try googleing "voodoo2 bios" in qouotes just like that.

My spelling suxors :p

rancor said:
Cool it is working, wierd wonder why Anandtech said it wasn't
Nor are Beyond3d users....... I actually didn't get a 6800NU for my HTPC just because I read the encoding/decoding doesn't work :(

rancor said:
Cool it is working, wierd wonder why Anandtech said it wasn't

It's good to know that the features are alive and well.....I've been doing a LOT more dvd ripping lately.....and while these 7-8GB movies are nice to have just sitting ready.....I'm gonna have to run out for a 250GB SATA sooner or later.....which'll give me room for almost 3 dozen full rips. :p

R1ckCa1n said:

See when reality kicks in and all the current 6800 series owners realize they can't have SLI without buying all new cards there will be some unhappy campers. Oh yeah, the 6800 is future proof. Let me know how that hardware video encoding/decoding is working on your 6800 :)

WHen reality sets in that they have to buy new cards? Everyone know you gotta buy new cards guy so this isnt anything new or earth shattering so why would people be unhappy?
And once NV allows everyone to use that damned encoder it may serve as usefull...till then everyone who has one has to wait. Besides hows the Linux support going or OPEN GL support? See it works both ways...stop being biased

R1ckCa1n said:
Nor are Beyond3d users....... I actually didn't get a 6800NU for my HTPC just because I read the encoding/decoding doesn't work :(

Odd well at least its not broken, maybe for some of the older cards it is broken, just don't see why Anandtech would state its broken, I got to test it out some lol

cornelious0_0 said:
It's good to know that the features are alive and well.....I've been doing a LOT more dvd ripping lately.....and while these 7-8GB movies are nice to have just sitting ready.....I'm gonna have to run out for a 250GB SATA sooner or later.....which'll give me room for almost 3 dozen full rips. :p

Damn thats alot hard disk space, can't wait till the blue laser dvd discs come out :) Hate backups cause of the multi discs pain in the ass lol

Seems to be something around how well the encoding/decoding workings on an Intel versus AMD system. Maybe the additional extensions help with Intel.

[RIP]Zeus said:
Where is youre proof on that?
where is ati's call for SLI? last i saw ati had shit to compete against SLI..so stop making stupid ass asumptions
yes u are right... ATIs SLI solution was shown in Maxpc and it was for an Alienware. Max PC said they think the Nvidia solution will be faster cuz of the bridge where ATI is using left over bandwidth on the PCI Express bus

cornelious0_0 said:
No joke... I have 200+ gigs of recorded TV shows on my Windows Media PC and 300+ gigs of ripped DVD's on my main rig.

rancor said:
Damn thats alot hard disk space, can't wait till the blue laser dvd discs come out :) Hate backups cause of the multi discs pain in the ass lol

My question is how much is the cost of blu-disc media going to be? DVD media when it first came out wasnt exactly "cheap" (not to mention the cost to actually by a slow ass burner).

Just seems like blu-disc might be getting alittle to much hype not to mention its been blu-disc this blu-disc that for how many yrs? And we still dont have a real "standard" media format yet when it comes to plain old dvd's (dvd+R, dvd-R, dvd+-RW, etc.)

GORANKAR said:
What popped up on your screen was most likely a 'splash screen' , not a bios. My v2 splash screen came up when the drivers loaded, till I found the check box to disable it.

Yeah, I think I confused it with my Voodoo3. The info popped up right when the system was turned on (not when Windows started).

-freon- said:
Yeah, I think I confused it with my Voodoo3. The info popped up right when the system was turned on (not when Windows started).

Yep, my good ol' Voodoo3 2000 PCI did the same thing.....I miss that card. Too bad the Voodoo2 was before "my time" with hardware.

R1ckCa1n said:

*points at R1ckCa1n and laughs*

Watch him squirm boys...just sit back and watch...this is hysterical...

:D

The Batman said:

Bet I will give ya a damn good run for you $ with the cost/performance ratio. :D

GORANKAR said:
origionaly posted by -freon- "For you people talking price, there is nothing that says you must buy both cards right away. If I buy a PCI-E motherboard and video card today, I can buy a second video card in a few months when prices drop. Tons of people did that with Voodoo2 and tons will do it again with this."

Voodoo II's had no bios. And some, seemingly identical cards, bought several months apart, had issues with one another. I'm really skeptical about buying one card now, and then 6months, 3 board revisions, and 4 bios revisions later, buying another, seemingly identical card, even from the same manufacturer, and expecting it to work. Will wait and see on this one. I think I can get another year out of my current rig.

true... I see nothing but problems because of this... I guess, i'll be waiting until 2006 at least.
:(

2Fresh said:
Bet I will give ya a damn good run for you $ with the cost/performance ratio. :D

right...cuz you do volt-modding cuz it's cost effective right? :rolleyes:

when SLI comes out and it makes your volt-modded xtpe look like a GF2MX...be sure to come back and brag about your cost/performance ratio, though I doubt you'll find many people will give a damn...

^eMpTy^ said:
right...cuz you do volt-modding cuz it's cost effective right? :rolleyes:

when SLI comes out and it makes your volt-modded xtpe look like a GF2MX...be sure to come back and brag about your cost/performance ratio, though I doubt you'll find many people will give a damn...

I guess this is where I bring up the fact that vmoding still wont get hime sm3.0? I mean I dont know whats taking everyone so long to mention it but I guess its my civic duty to bring it up...(waits for ATI guys to scream about 3dc or something)

^eMpTy^ said:
when SLI comes out and it makes your volt-modded xtpe look like a GF2MX...

I nominate this quote for ridiculous fanb0y statement of the day. Either way you guys really need to consider holding back the grandiose claims on SLI until you actually see the finished product.

gordon151 said:
I nominate this quote for ridiculous fanb0y statement of the day. Either way you guys really need to consider holding back the grandiose claims on SLI until you actually see the finished product.

and how much fun would that be?

gordon151 said:

I second that.

cornelious0_0 said:
I second that.

ok ok, maybe GF2MX might have been a little excessive...how about...make it look like a 9800xt? ya figure about 30% faster?

DemonDiablo said:
I guess this is where I bring up the fact that vmoding still wont get hime sm3.0? I mean I dont know whats taking everyone so long to mention it but I guess its my civic duty to bring it up...(waits for ATI guys to scream about 3dc or something)

I love the fact that you think SM3.0 means life or death to us all :rolleyes: SM3.0 is only a preformance gain not more IQ so it means not much to me, of course the nvidiots will try to say "gee but more speed means devs can add more IQ." Well guess what SM2.0b and 3Dc offer much more preformance as well.

Next trump card people will spiel about is HDR, once again means absolutely 0 to me personally, not being able to use AA with it is one huge strike against it, but the killer for me is what the picture looks like, reminds me of when I tried Digital Vibrance once on my geforce3, and I couldn't help but notice how much more playskool like the XP stock theme looked like rofl.

So there goes you're argument right out the door.

KayossZero said:
I love the fact that you think SM3.0 means life or death to us all :rolleyes: SM3.0 is only a preformance gain not more IQ so it means not much to me, of course the nvidiots will try to say "gee but more speed means devs can add more IQ." Well guess what SM2.0b and 3Dc offer much more preformance as well.

Next trump card people will spiel about is HDR, once again means absolutely 0 to me personally, not being able to use AA with it is one huge strike against it, but the killer for me is what the picture looks like, reminds me of when I tried Digital Vibrance once on my geforce3, and I couldn't help but notice how much more playskool like the XP stock theme looked like rofl.

So there goes you're argument right out the door.

wow, I mean, that was just so eloquent, and well informed...it's all so clear to me now... :rolleyes:

Back