[H] SLi Benchmark Analysis

Damn you Nvidiots need to take the cards that are so far up your asses out. I was kidding about my card beating a SLI setup. Doubt we will see many of them, nor DO I give shit. Nvidia can suck my ass for all I care, so can all the fan boys with your rude ass comments. .

^eMpTy^ said:
right...cuz you do volt-modding cuz it's cost effective right? :rolleyes:

when SLI comes out and it makes your volt-modded xtpe look like a GF2MX...be sure to come back and brag about your cost/performance ratio, though I doubt you'll find many people will give a damn...

I do know for sure I will be able to brag over anything you sorry ass will ever own..

I decided to edit it, i dont feel like getting bitched at over some childish remarks and me reponding to them.

KayossZero said:
I love the fact that you think SM3.0 means life or death to us all :rolleyes: SM3.0 is only a preformance gain not more IQ so it means not much to me, of course the nvidiots will try to say "gee but more speed means devs can add more IQ." Well guess what SM2.0b and 3Dc offer much more preformance as well.

Next trump card people will spiel about is HDR, once again means absolutely 0 to me personally, not being able to use AA with it is one huge strike against it, but the killer for me is what the picture looks like, reminds me of when I tried Digital Vibrance once on my geforce3, and I couldn't help but notice how much more playskool like the XP stock theme looked like rofl.

So there goes you're argument right out the door.

Wow I love the fact that your not old enough to understand sarcasim. Go do a google on that word...go on I know you dont know what it means, its so obvious by your ridicuolusly stupid response B A K A!

And oh heaven forbid nVidia and ATI were to implement new technologies into their hardware :rolleyes: Im just glad your like the only person on these forums whose still running on like a vodoo based card with the philosopy and outlook you have on advancement of video technology :eek: :p

DemonDiablo said:
Wow I love the fact that your not old enough to understand sarcasim. Go do a google on that word...go on I know you dont know what it means, its so obvious by your ridicuolusly stupid response B A K A!

And oh heaven forbid nVidia and ATI were to implement new technologies into their hardware :rolleyes: Im just glad your like the only person on these forums whose still running on like a vodoo based card with the philosopy and outlook you have on advancement of video technology :eek: :p

DemonDiablo said:
I guess this is where I bring up the fact that vmoding still wont get hime sm3.0? I mean I dont know whats taking everyone so long to mention it but I guess its my civic duty to bring it up...(waits for ATI guys to scream about 3dc or something)

Exactly whats sarcastic about that quote? I'd love to know. I have nothing against new tech at all from either company, I just have a problem with people saying SM3.0 is god when its not. The same can be said for anyone claiming 3Dc will be godly, because at this stage 3Dc isn't used by any games out currently so we have no idea how good it will be.

Heh, and for the record I have never owned a Voodoo card, closest I got to a voodoo was when I was building my first computer (P3 700 Mhz, 128Meg ram, TNT2M64) and I could of gotten a Voodoo3 but the TNT2M64 was a lot cheaper (plus I knew nothing about hardware at the time) one things for sure 32Bit Color for games definitely was nice. Its always about IQ for me regardless of the company.

Gameve has the 6800 PCI-E.... it's 600 bucks though... but I bought anyway since the only alternative is the X800XT PCI-E... which is a tad less. No more ATI for me this round..

2Fresh said:
I WAS GOING TO COME BACK AND EDIT THIS VULGAR COMMENT...

You may wanna edit it tho man...all it would take is someone to feel "personally attacked" and you risk a ban...and it isnt worth it.

Visable-assassin said:
You may wanna edit it tho man...all it would take is someone to feel "personally attacked" and you risk a ban...and it isnt worth it.

I agree here, but I've been in 2Fresh's place many times regarding different topics around here, and I know exactly where he's coming from.

R1ckCa1n said:
What if it won't cost $1000.00 in video cards, a 600 watt power supply, and air conditioning to get the same performance with ATI? ;)

I fail to se ATi getting anywhere near the preformance of a SLI rig, Price is NOT a factor, so cut the !!!!!!ishme, thx!
If they get more preformance, I will buy ATi, though...

Terra - Brand is nothing, preformance/features is everything :)

cornelious0_0 said:
I agree here, but I've been in 2Fresh's place many times regarding different topics around here, and I know exactly where he's coming from.

I decided to edit it, i dont feel like getting bitched at over some childish remarks and me reponding to them. Back in the days it would have ben fine,no telling now how one of the mods would respond. I jsut cant stand these damn kids posting some much bullshit, makes me sick.

2Fresh said:
I decided to edit it, i dont feel like getting bitched at over some childish remarks and me reponding to them. Back in the days it would have ben fine,no telling now how one of the mods would respond. I jsut cant stand these damn kids posting some much bullshit, makes me sick.

Now now.....it's alright.....

/pats 2Fresh on the back

Terra said:
Terra - Brand is nothing, preformance/features is everything :)

I second that. the only reason i personally add to my buying decisions is the bang/buck ratio, but that's just the poor guy's comment :)

on a sidenote: i read that nVidia has been working on SLI drivers for over 2 years! yet, it seems as if ATI didn't see this one coming - at least ATM. so either they silently sweat trying to get a similar product together or they really are convinced this will not have a significant effect on the market. i'm really anxious to see what way it will turn out - the silence from canada in view of this topic is almost deafening :D

^eMpTy^ said:
when SLI comes out and it makes your volt-modded xtpe look like a GF2MX...be sure to come back and brag about your cost/performance ratio, though I doubt you'll find many people will give a damn...
It's those sort of comments that perpetuate flame-wars. None of 2Fresh's comments made me want to hit that bloody rolleyes emoticon (which is always a bad idea to use), he was being pretty jocular (note his use of 'friendly' emoticons) about the competition his X800XT-PE was going to give the SLi stuff. He wasn't gloating or anything so there's no need to go on the offensive. I for one think his volt-modded XT-PE sounds pretty awesome and it'll certainly deliver performance that's right up there with SLi. Maybe not a match for 6800GT SLi but fairly close and he'll be running his games in a week or whatever on it. The rest of us are in for a little wait and a lot of expense. Yeah, his volt-mod+card cost plenty but the expense doesn't really matter. Isn't it how [H]ard something is that's the reason we're posting here in the first place? :)

2Fresh said:
I jsut cant stand these damn kids posting some much bullshit, makes me sick.
Hey relax buddy! There's always plenty of people (I'm not talking about anyone in particular) who are going to be jealous as hell of something you've got and are going to tell you it's worthless. Don't rise to it, the majority of people here love to hear about crazy volt-modded shit like that and will love to see some pix+benchies etc. :)

Sizer said:
2fresh
2whine
2bad

Prime example pf the type of immature kids I am speaking of. Has no idea what is going on in the thread, just comes up with random bullshit and posts. Mods use to be be all over assholes like this, use to make it a cool place to post because you knew the mods would be all over little pricks like that dildo eater clown boy up therer. Use to be a very cool place, it is now just turning more and more into gennmay here...NOW mods dont really care that much. Sucks to see things starting to go donwn hill :(

There are some people where they don't mind spending tons of money for better performance. How the hell do you think companies that sell things like peltiers and compressor setups make sales? The thing is, SLI is a hell of a lot easier than a compressor setup, with a lot less time and worry. Whenever you use a super cooled setup you need to worry about things like condensation. To me, it seems much easier just to pop in two video cards. If a compressor and single video card were to cost the same as a SLI setup, and performance was about equal, I would take the SLI any day of the week. Less hassle and less worry.

i hate to say it (dad), but calm down everybody. just don't answer posts you think are too stupid and ignore them, use the ignore-option excessively if you want, don't risk getting banned for calling someone names and then it'll be like in all forums: a mixture of some occasional sarcasm, idiot answers AND mostly great knowledge and helpful ppl.

ignore threads alltogether that deal with crystal ball-topics and possible flame-war zones...
BTW, 2fresh, answering like that just pushes the level further down, don't you think?

Wow a lot of nice words in here.....

It doesn't matter how much the SLI of your choice costs....
What matters if it is available.

There will always be those who will buy the biggest baddest anything that comes along just for bragging rights.

If the nVidia SLI setups do make the light of day, then they just hold the performance crown at a high cost. No need to argue about it. ATI can't cope with them until at least they have something similar.

So everybody get their undies out of a bunch and just admit that nVidia will make you pay through the nose to have the fastest 3D available.

We all know what 3DFX accomplished, my V2 SLI ruled back in it's day, nVidia seems to be doing the same thing.

SilverBack said:
Wow a lot of nice words in here.....

It doesn't matter how much the SLI of your choice costs....
What matters if it is available.

There will always be those who will buy the biggest baddest anything that comes along just for bragging rights.

If the nVidia SLI setups do make the light of day, then they just hold the performance crown at a high cost. No need to argue about it. ATI can't cope with them until at least they have something similar.

So everybody get their undies out of a bunch and just admit that nVidia will make you pay through the nose to have the fastest 3D available.

We all know what 3DFX accomplished, my V2 SLI ruled back in it's day, nVidia seems to be doing the same thing.

I actually agree with that. Nvidia may end up on top and receive the "no ifs ands or buts" performance crown.....but it'll come at a much higher price. For most "normal" people, the price/performance of a single X800XT over a single 6800Ultra will still be the same.....and I figure that a lot of ppl are just gonna go about things as if SLI didnt even exist.....simply because it's not going to effect them. If someone is looking at building a single card system they're not going to feel bad that Nvidia's SLI is cleaning house.....because it's not even in the same market niche. SLI setups are going to appeal to those of us who just have to have the best....no buts about it, but most others will go about things relatively unscathed, because a lot of ppl won't care if Nvidia only truely owns everything with their SLI, because it's not a realistic option for them.

It's like if someone is on a budget for a video card and has $150 to spend and they choose a lower end radeon card, but then someone comes up to them and says "Man, the 6800U is WAY faster.....why are you buying that?".....see my point?

The concept of SLI a great one. Where things will start to fall down is when games become CPU bound. D3 et al do not do any sort of multi-threading and none of the developers seems to care about it. With all the dual core cpus in the pipeline hopefully the next generation of FPS and Sports/Action games start to take advantage of the technology. The P4 Northwoods has HT technology for cripes sakes! Wake up game developers. Let me get some action out of my second, third and fourth CPUs! Again, just my 0.02.

-Nv

R1ckCa1n said:
So seeing benchmarks ran by nV is proof of how good their SLI is? Again, on an unreleased product..... You green boys sure can see the future clearly

what the heck is wrong with you man!!!! No one here has said they are loyal solely to Nvidia! were discussing sli not green is better than red! If you can't see that than you still must be in Piagets preoperational stage! Do yourself a favor and stuff you "red card" up your ass! Oh and have a great day :D

Nvidiot said:
The concept of SLI a great one. Where things will start to fall down is when games become CPU bound. D3 et al do not do any sort of multi-threading and none of the developers seems to care about it. With all the dual core cpus in the pipeline hopefully the next generation of FPS and Sports/Action games start to take advantage of the technology. The P4 Northwoods has HT technology for cripes sakes! Wake up game developers. Let me get some action out of my second, third and fourth CPUs! Again, just my 0.02.

-Nv

Yea unless these game developers start to make games for multiple cpu's theres going to be a lot of bottle necking going on :/ Thats one reason why I want to see the benchmarks of a dual core SLI setup before I touch one (not to mention chipsets and video card drivers)

wizzackr said:
ignore threads alltogether that deal with crystal ball-topics and possible flame-war zones...
BTW, 2fresh, answering like that just pushes the level further down, don't you think?

You are correct...I just cant help it at times. The maturity level in here at times is just sick. Like little 15yr olds outta school for the day so they have post garbge

I am still going to run my rig agianst a SLI and se how it does, bet I dont get beat that bad.

Steel Chicken said:
im still wondering how sli = %95 when the mobos are all 16x and 8x, how can you get more thanb 50% out of that 8x slot?!

an 8x slot has more bandwidth than AGP does, so it doesn't matter in the least, since cards dont use all of what even AGP has to offer.

2Fresh said:
I am still going to run my rig agianst a SLI and se how it does, bet I dont get beat that bad.

Good luck to ya... :D

i would like to compare agaist you when i get my SLI 6800GT setup ok...see what stock VS stock does and OC vs stock and OC vs OC...i wanna see how these all do... :D

but good luck to ya. and if you want to.. wait for me.. :D

i am just waiting on the nForce4 boards to come out.

There is one MAJOR advantage if you have or are getting a PCI Express motherboard capable of SLI, which is of course buy a 6800GT now , then another when the price falls or you can afford it. ( wow that was a run on sentence LOL )

I'm one of those people who will of course have a set.

Besides price, I still have a problem with an SLI setup. While you will have kick ass performance with the setup, before too long there will be a new card out that will either meet or beat the performance of the SLI setup. The reason I see that as a problem is because video cards come out a lot more often than they did in the Voodoo2 days. You can break this down into two areas. The newer cards will be a good amount faster than the old cards. The new cards will also have a lot more features than the old ones. So your SLI setup may still be as fast a single new card, the new card will probably have new features that could very easily make the game look better while being the same speed or better.

Personally, this will probably not affect me as you can see by the vid card in my sig. This is just something that has occured to me.

I just don't think SLI will be the end all be all that many people seem to think. The frequency of new cards just doesn't lend itself to SLI becoming really popular. Also, keep in mind that the people that will generally be going for SLI will be the ones that have to have the latest and greatest and once a new card comes out, your SLI setup will no longer be the best. Then you're looking at a really huge amount for an upgrade again. That's fine for people with that kind of money to spend and if there are that many of the new cards available to do it.

I'm not trying to bash anyone or say it's stupid to run SLI, I just don't think it's as good as so many make it out to be.

I'll just wait and see like normal.

SilverBack said:
There is one MAJOR advantage if you have or are getting a PCI Express motherboard capable of SLI, which is of course buy a 6800GT now , then another when the price falls or you can afford it. ( wow that was a run on sentence LOL )

I'm one of those people who will of course have a set.
By the time you "buy one later" there will likely have been a price drop, in which case, saving your money a few more weeks would have been wiser.
The only game I think that needs sli is doom3 for 1600x1200 with 16AF and 4AA, besides that, frame rates rae pretty high, cept a few far cry levels.
SLI is bragging rights, nothing more, nothing less.
I don't think nvidia will gain much money based on it, they might sell a few cards for people with buy one now, buy one later, but it's so expensive to get a good setup it's not really worth it.

Moloch said:
but it's so expensive to get a good setup it's not really worth it.

You don't think is worth it, I do...
This is an "eye of the beholder" situation, if you don't wan't to buy then don't, simple as that.

Terra - That really wonders why people have to badmouth MORE preformance on [H]ardOPC? :confused:

SmokeRngs said:
Besides price, I still have a problem with an SLI setup. While you will have kick ass performance with the setup, before too long there will be a new card out that will either meet or beat the performance of the SLI setup. The reason I see that as a problem is because video cards come out a lot more often than they did in the Voodoo2 days. You can break this down into two areas. The newer cards will be a good amount faster than the old cards. The new cards will also have a lot more features than the old ones. So your SLI setup may still be as fast a single new card, the new card will probably have new features that could very easily make the game look better while being the same speed or better.

Personally, this will probably not affect me as you can see by the vid card in my sig. This is just something that has occured to me.

I just don't think SLI will be the end all be all that many people seem to think. The frequency of new cards just doesn't lend itself to SLI becoming really popular. Also, keep in mind that the people that will generally be going for SLI will be the ones that have to have the latest and greatest and once a new card comes out, your SLI setup will no longer be the best. Then you're looking at a really huge amount for an upgrade again. That's fine for people with that kind of money to spend and if there are that many of the new cards available to do it.

I'm not trying to bash anyone or say it's stupid to run SLI, I just don't think it's as good as so many make it out to be.

I'll just wait and see like normal.

I see what you're saying but I have to disagree. First off, when you wanna upgrade again I'm sure it'll be easy enough to sell the two cards on ebay and recoup 75% of the original cost.

Also, right now is the perfect time for SLI because 3 major engines (doom3, farcry, source) just came out which will no-doubt be the basis for the majority of games over the next 2 years, and we know that current cards handle those games very well. So new features in the next couple generations of cards won't necessarily be too important since the next major evolution is going to be Longhorn which won't matter AT ALL until the day Windows 2006 (or whatever they call it) is released...

So right now nvidia is up to PS3, which is all you need till longhorn, and they'll continue to refine that design and start building up to longhorn support, but in the mean time, where games are concerned, PS3 is all you need till then. Also, right now single card performance is kinda topping out due to the speed of available memory. It doesn't make much sense right now to add many more pipelines to vid cards since current memory can barely keep up with 16 pipes.

So all in all, I would say that, as long as the technology is stable, SLI is arriving at the perfect time with the perfect feature set and will be a very viable product for anyone who buys it for atleast a couple of years because Nvidia already has 16 pipelines and already has PS3...so there shouldn't be too many groundbreaking advancements in the next two years (at least not that would compare with the jump from 8 to 16 pipes that we all just witnessed).

[RIP]Zeus said:
Good luck to ya... :D

i would like to compare agaist you when i get my SLI 6800GT setup ok...see what stock VS stock does and OC vs stock and OC vs OC...i wanna see how these all do... :D

but good luck to ya. and if you want to.. wait for me.. :D

i am just waiting on the nForce4 boards to come out.

Well, when you're looking to sell that AGP 6800GT to afford the two PCI-E 6800 GTs you'll need, let me know. I be looking for a cheap upgrade then. I figure they'll be a few 6800GTs in the AGP flavor floating around the FS/ST forums because their owners want the PCI-E version for SLi.

Terra said:
You don't think is worth it, I do...
This is an "eye of the beholder" situation, if you don't wan't to buy then don't, simple as that.

Terra - That really wonders why people have to badmouth MORE preformance on [H]ardOPC? :confused:

Just a small question for you. Do you have like multiple personalities or something? Just wondering b/c every time I see you post you got this like "main" post and then this "Terra" post?

DemonDiablo said:
Just a small question for you. Do you have like multiple personalities or something? Just wondering b/c every time I see you post you got this like "main" post and then this "Terra" post?

Some people use a "static" signature, I use a "dynamic" signature, and have done so for years :)
Sometimes it's even empty ;)

Terra...

Terra said:
Some people use a "static" signature, I use a "dynamic" signature, and have done so for years :)
Sometimes it's even empty ;)

Terra...

LOL thanks for clearing that up for me. I was really just wondering it was killing me. And im really not the curious type so yea that was definitly an intresting "thing" to me :)

DemonDiablo said:
LOL thanks for clearing that up for me. I was really just wondering it was killing me. And im really not the curious type so yea that was definitly an intresting "thing" to me :)

Oh, well I'm glad you're not confused anymore then ;)

Terra - The "skitzo" dane ;)

2Fresh said:
Prime example pf the type of immature kids I am speaking of. Has no idea what is going on in the thread, just comes up with random bullshit and posts. Mods use to be be all over assholes like this, use to make it a cool place to post because you knew the mods would be all over little pricks like that dildo eater clown boy up therer. Use to be a very cool place, it is now just turning more and more into gennmay here...NOW mods dont really care that much. Sucks to see things starting to go donwn hill :(

Maybe you're a target because your attitude absolutely sucks?

SmokeRngs said:
Besides price, I still have a problem with an SLI setup. While you will have kick ass performance with the setup, before too long there will be a new card out that will either meet or beat the performance of the SLI setup.
So your SLI setup may still be as fast a single new card, the new card will probably have new features that could very easily make the game look better while being the same speed or better.

that's what i was thinking too - after all, i always thought the accelerated product cycles (by nVidia, lol) were the main reason for the death of dual card setups. however, as empty put it i have to say that makes sense - the timing seems grand.

i personally would buy such a setup if i had the cash.
although that's what i planned to do with dual CPUs for ages, too, and never did it - buy a dual mobo and one CPU now, get the second later. the feature-set always killed that plan somehow... :confused:

Back