[H] SLi Benchmark Analysis

^eMpTy^ said:
Also, right now single card performance is kinda topping out due to the speed of available memory. It doesn't make much sense right now to add many more pipelines to vid cards since current memory can barely keep up with 16 pipes.

I wonder if they could do dual channel memory for video cards. If it's a question of simple memory bandwidth, I can't see why this wouldn't work.

KayossZero said:
I love the fact that you think SM3.0 means life or death to us all :rolleyes: SM3.0 is only a preformance gain not more IQ so it means not much to me, of course the nvidiots will try to say "gee but more speed means devs can add more IQ." Well guess what SM2.0b and 3Dc offer much more preformance as well.

Next trump card people will spiel about is HDR, once again means absolutely 0 to me personally, not being able to use AA with it is one huge strike against it, but the killer for me is what the picture looks like, reminds me of when I tried Digital Vibrance once on my geforce3, and I couldn't help but notice how much more playskool like the XP stock theme looked like rofl.

So there goes you're argument right out the door.
I hate to say it but now we are facing a refresh from NV and still do not have a working SM3.0 title out....... Perhaps we will before the NV50 (or whatever) comes out?

R1ckCa1n said:
I hate to say it but now we are facing a refresh from NV and still do not have a working SM3.0 title out....... Perhaps we will before the NV50 (or whatever) comes out?

I think the fact that they may hit us with a refresh before the X800 XT PE's and 6800 Ultras are widely available is a greater farce.

fugu said:
keep this up and you'll be banned

Yeah, he can whine and scream at everyone in the forums and he won't get touched, because according to some wankers here, he's "[H]".

PLEASE.

Hey, has anyone noticed that the 6600 GT in SLi performs about on par with a 6800 GT (less in DOOM and Halo, better in '05). So if we're considering cost, it's probably more ecinomical and less of a hassle to just use the 6800 GT and a regular PCI-xpress mobo than 2 6600 GTs, assuming SLi mobos will carry a premium, and the 6600 GT stays close to current prices (around 210-230, I may be wrong on those prices). Not to mention dual un-watercooled GPUs will be blowing quite a bit of hot air into the system. Things could get toasty without good airflow.

I just got A64 on socket 754, not going to spend 400 bucks minimum on a set of vid cards, and then another 100-150 on a nice SLi motherboard when i can just pick up a 6800 GT or the like once you guys sell em off for 300$ to get SLi.

As for SM 3.0: in the end, more speed allows higher IQ settings, so those of you who say "speed doesn't matter, it's IQ that I care about" are frankly full of crap.

BTW 2Fresh, I like your voltmodded-vapoed XT, even if no one else does ;)

SmokeRngs said:
Besides price, I still have a problem with an SLI setup. While you will have kick ass performance with the setup, before too long there will be a new card out that will either meet or beat the performance of the SLI setup. The reason I see that as a problem is because video cards come out a lot more often than they did in the Voodoo2 days.

That was my initial thought as well, but didnt Nvidia (and/or ATI?) say something a few months back about extending the release schedules a bit? If thats the case, it might not be so bad. It would still be quite a while before a single card surpassed it in performance though.
Heck, an SLI setup with GF4 ti4600s would have probably stacked up pretty well against cards up to this current generation.

Jonsey said:
I wonder if they could do dual channel memory for video cards. If it's a question of simple memory bandwidth, I can't see why this wouldn't work.

I think they can't do that because there would just be too many traces on the board and it would be prohibitively expensive...

I think this PCIe is just a bunch of ballz. There will be no "real" performance boost. Much the same way AGP 4x and AGP 8x have very little effect on frame rates / benchmarks. Go ahead try it. Certain drivers allow you to change your AGP timing.
When you change them you will not notice real differences.

PCIe is only usefull if you are an elite nerd banger , and need the very best. The investment to switch to a new PCIe board or dual PCIe, which there are none as of yet, and a new processor to reduce bottlenecking you will realize what a waste of money it really is and except you position as asshat of the universe.

Stick with the AGP .... unless you feel the need for graphic masterbation

:mad:

I seriously wonder why people who don't care about the bleeding edge or new hardware come read threads like this... PCIe may not matter now but it'll matter in the future, AGP 8x and 4x may not differ much but AGP had to happen 'cuz PCI was close to bottlenecking vid cards, eventually the same would happen with AGP. If you don't care then don't read about new technology, 'specially stuff that isn't even available. No need to pop in here and lambast it tho.

Power consumption may not be quite as bad as you think for an SLi combo. Take a look at this article and you'll see the measured power consumption for a 6800U is around 72W (under load) and 55W for a 6800GT. So claims of 600W+ for SLi are probably a little over the top (unless you want to do some serious SLi overclocking and/or run a monster 4GHz P4!), my single 6800GT ran fine on an Antec 380W with a 3.76GHz P4. So 6800GT SLi would probably be okay on 430W PSU. The jump up to 6800U would require an extra 33W over 6800GT SLi so 480W should suffice.

Personally I'd recommend a 480W PSU for 6800GT SLi and 550W for 6800U SLi just to cover any extras (multiple HDDs, overclocked CPU etc.). :)

^eMpTy^ said:
I think they can't do that because there would just be too many traces on the board and it would be prohibitively expensive...

Well... how much more is a dual channel mobo than a single channel one? It seems like it would be cheaper to have a slightly more complex PCB and dual memory channel controller than super expensive high speed RAM.

Jonsey said:
Well... how much more is a dual channel mobo than a single channel one? It seems like it would be cheaper to have a slightly more complex PCB and dual memory channel controller than super expensive high speed RAM.

Memory on your motherboard is only 64bits per channel, so even with dual channel, you're only at 128bit...high end vid card memory is 256bits PER CHANNEL...

thylantyr said:
NV SLI pwns ATI :p ;)

My money is with NV products...........

in case it was a joke: wrong thread for that if you actually cared to read a few pages. it just came down onto a nice objective level. in case it was not: that's not even flamebait... that's plain dumb, sorry :rolleyes:

wizzackr said:
in case it was a joke: wrong thread for that if you actually cared to read a few pages. it just came down onto a nice objective level. in case it was not: that's not even flamebait... that's plain dumb, sorry :rolleyes:

No kidding man.....grow up. :rolleyes:

I think there's still a few pages of life left, they managed to take the FS CS:Source benchies thread all the way to like 8 pages in two days before it got locked due to the drivel spam after all... :p Those W figures for the 6800s are interesting btw, NVidia's first estimate for the requirements was off by a ton. :rolleyes: Talk about your PR blunders... Ah well, guess it'd be even worst if the estimate wasn't conservative and the reverse thing happened.

Impulse said:
Those W figures for the 6800s are interesting btw, NVidia's first estimate for the requirements was off by a ton.
Yeah, 480W minimum for a 6800U?? THG measured the total power consumption of a 6800U system at 288W under maximum load. A decent 350-380W PSU would probably be fine for a 6800U system (I always like a lot more to cover overclocking though). When NV suggested the 480W minimum it sent the fanATicz into joy overdrive but 6800U only consumes around 9W more than the X800XT-PE under load. 9W ain't really a big deal.

mashie said:
So all this talk of 600W+ PSUs for SLI sound a bit over the top.
It's an easy way to spot fanATicz tho. ;)

BTW, I can't believe the stuff your 240W PSU is running! :eek:

mashie said:
After all I have a 6800 GT @ 415/1090, 3400+ @2.4 and a 74GB Raptor working in a Shuttle with a 240W PSU. Also the 12V waterpump rated 24W and an 18W Tornado fan is in there as well :D

...I know you dont think thats possibly smart...do you :confused:

DemonDiablo said:
...I know you dont think thats possibly smart...do you :confused:

I'd have to agree. Even if it works......you've spend all that cash on parts for that system......why in Gods name are you lowballing yourself so much on power, one of the most vital parts of your system????? It may work now, and it may very well be a great PSU for what it is.....but you couldn't pay me to run MY system on something like that. Sorry bro, but unless your PSU just died on your and this is a temp fix....you have no reason NOT to have at least a 430W Truepower or something. :rolleyes:

AFAIK the PSUs that come with Shuttle setups are made to stricter standards and will have a higher capacity at the same temperature than other equally rated standard ATX PSUs... Quality > W.

Impulse said:
AFAIK the PSUs that come with Shuttle setups are made to stricter standards and will have a higher capacity at the same temperature than other equally rated standard ATX PSUs... Quality > W.

LOL
I dont care what kind of quality psu's Shuttle packs in their setup a 240W psu just isnt going to cut!!!

Jeez the guy is lucky the pc even boots up with that kind of system strain

cornelious0_0 said:
you have no reason NOT to have at least a 430W Truepower or something.
How's he going to fit one in a Shuttle cube?

I'm also amazed it hasn't exploded but if you're a Shuttle owner it's not like your spoilt for choice with high-powered PSUs.

coz said:
How's he going to fit one in a Shuttle cube?

I'm also amazed it hasn't exploded but if you're a Shuttle owner it's not like your spoilt for choice with high-powered PSUs.

You know I didnt even consider the fact that those mini-atx pc's dont have that much space (dunno why people buy them to begin with...the things SCREAM LOW UPGRADABILITY!) for putting much of anything thats high performance (heat basically) into it :confused:
Still though having a 240W psu and acting like its the shizzel on that setup is abit ignorant imo :rolleyes:

EDIT: of course though at the end of the day its his pc thats gonna blow up not mine so why should I card :cool: ?

Guess I neglected to realise that it wasn't a standard ATX setup.....but there are larger PSU's you can get for 'em I though closer to or just over 300W. I in general just wouldn't feel right about running an overclocked (or not) P4 or A64 with an X800 or 6800GT/U off that dinky little PSU. :p

2Fresh said:
Prime example pf the type of immature kids I am speaking of. Has no idea what is going on in the thread, just comes up with random bullshit and posts. Mods use to be be all over assholes like this, use to make it a cool place to post because you knew the mods would be all over little pricks like that dildo eater clown boy up therer. Use to be a very cool place, it is now just turning more and more into gennmay here...NOW mods dont really care that much. Sucks to see things starting to go donwn hill :(

I understand exactly where you're coming from, as I also noticed an increased amount of blatant !!!!!!ism lately, but would you please stop bashing the mods and saying how they don't care that much? After all, you're such an old timer you've been here since August, 2003 :rolleyes:

Back