Half-Life 2 on sale at the Best Buy in Niles, IL

I really don't think a company should be able to limit playing the $55 piece of software you just bought. Whether it is early or not, it doesn't matter... you just paid $55 for that software, you should have every legal right to play that game the second you install it on your machine. Just another reason to hate Valve... is HL2 out yet? ;)

Lets hope the Steam server's don't crash on the day of release... What if half the people got it activated, and other half couldn't cause the servers just crashed :p

Shorty said:
I really don't think a company should be able to limit playing the $55 piece of software you just bought. Whether it is early or not, it doesn't matter... you just paid $55 for that software, you should have every legal right to play that game the second you install it on your machine. Just another reason to hate Valve... is HL2 out yet? ;)
Common misconception. You're not buying the software; you're buying a license to *use* that software. Along with that license comes a EULA which states exactly what can and can not be done with your license and your copy of their software. It's still their product, and they can do whatsoever they like with it.

I imagine the cost to actually buy the software would be in excess of $50 million.

So has anyone gone to the Niles Best Buy yet? Do they still have it on sale?

One question and one comment.

Question:

Why is there a oven in your garage?

Comment:

Onions keep better if you cover them so the light doesn't get to them....just a helpful tip.

:D

gabe.jpg

LOL

bipolar said:
Common misconception. You're not buying the software; you're buying a license to *use* that software. Along with that license comes a EULA which states exactly what can and can not be done with your license and your copy of their software. It's still their product, and they can do whatsoever they like with it.

I imagine the cost to actually buy the software would be in excess of $50 million.

Yes but Valve is decreasing what that license buys. It's a terrible direction for the consumer and an abuse of their ability to restrict licenses. There are people that game on machines with no net connection, very rare but it happens. The real problem is that with companies like Valve pushing it, it will get adapater by smaller companies that go out of business and stick someone with software that can't be activated when they want to reinstall (say after a new pc purchase, or hdd crash). Call me paranoid if you want, but this is a huge step towards making the only economical licensing will be to lease the software. Just look back in 10 years and see how it's kept advancing.

evildre said:
So has anyone gone to the Niles Best Buy yet? Do they still have it on sale?

I am wondering the same thing... since I moved up to Chicago from Houston.. I need to load up Niles in the gps and take off for BB. Hopefully they got some left.

[..::magnetik::..]

My Cascade water block has a cracked top and the replacement is coming from Australia. I have no Socket 754 backup because I removed the IHS. If HL2 is unlocked early I will cry. LOL.

bipolar said:

very true, but there are also consumer protection laws, and if there are restrictons to using that license, then they must be presented before the purchase, not afterwards when you get it home and open up the box. I have yet to agree to a EULA while I was at best buy.

So if you need steam to unlock it, what happens if you don't have an internet connection??

Erik at Valve said:
(Kind of posted)

Hello,
We noticed that you just registered a Half-Life 2 key. Where did you come across a copy of the game?

You're not in trouble or anything, but you're registered pretty early, and the game isn't activated just yet.

Thanks,

Erik Johnson
Valve

You activate my copy and I'll tell you where I got it... :D

They don't actually have any reason to unlock the game early, unless a major chain breaks the curfew. Just because some idiots are selling early. I'd like it to slip another couple of weeks, as I can't actually get hold of a s939 Winchester 3000+ in this country :(

Whoever has a copy needs to check the manual/box for activation instructions. Specifically, they need to check to see if there is way to activate the game without an internet connection, i.e. phone number.

I want to know if Valve really has an alternate method or if they just leave every gaming machine without an internet connection SOL.

MrWoot said:
roffle... HES SO FAT! :D
You need to go get some respect. Do you think he is fat because he has a choice? Many people have eating disorders, both eating too little, and eating too much. I am glad that you find it funny, to laugh at his problems.

Oh, BTW, he is a fuckload richer than you will ever be. He is probably otherwise happy and likes his life.

On another note, when did Valve ever owe us anything? They are a company. They want to make money. They enjoy the work they are doing, but they expect to be compensated for it. Release dates are intended to help market a product and to increase sales. It is unfortunate that some here were able to get a copy early and cannot get it to run, but it is like the HD that is listed at $109.99 instead of $190.99. Do you really expect that a typo entitles you to anything? You didn't do anything, except show up at the site.

Should Valve/VU be punished because some moron in a "Blue Shirt" decided to sell early, even if the box probably said "Do not sell before 11/16/04" (most big release software has this now)?

Keith

dropper said:
You need to go get some respect. Do you think he is fat because he has a choice? Many people have eating disorders, both eating too little, and eating too much. I am glad that you find it funny, to laugh at his problems.

Keith
keith, are you fat too? :( hahhahha j/k!

Kakyoin said:
Interesting post at http://www.hlfallout.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=16897

Looks like Valve found out since you have to register over steam to play HL2.

I dont own the game in hard copy, but my question is, if the games are not unlockd yet, and the activation servers are not up until the 16th as everyone is claiming, how does Valve know this guy has the game? Or are the activation and unlocking servers 2 totally diferent animals? Something just seems a little wierd.

dropper said:

WTF? Yes, he is fat because he made that choice. Some people don't want to exercise and/or eat whatever they like. They make the choice and there is nothing wrong with being fat or skinny. It is not a "problem" unless it's affecting his health.

Hamateer: Check for activation options, like I mention in my previous post.

gridiron123 said:
I dont own the game in hard copy, but my question is, if the games are not unlockd yet, and the activation servers are not up until the 16th as everyone is claiming, how does Valve know this guy has the game? Or are the activation and unlocking servers 2 totally diferent animals? Something just seems a little wierd.

The servers are probably up and when he tried to activate, it sent a request to the server. The servers will probably flag the request and are set to deny all requests until the 16th.
The real question is how they got his e-mail address. Did he list with the activation or did he log in with his steam account to activate it?

MurphNutz said:
The servers are probably up and when he tried to activate, it sent a request to the server. The servers will probably flag the request and are set to deny all requests until the 16th.
The real question is how they got his e-mail address. Did he list with the activation or did he log in with his steam account to activate it?

That makes sense.

I'd guess that when he created a steam account (Which has to be done to activate it, I think?) that he probably had to put it in then.

He must have, or he created a new account with a throw away email that they responded to.

MurphNutz said:
I'm gonna bet it was the email address that is attatched to his steam account.

dropper said:
Not to anybody specific but in general,

If your fat, its your fault. If your too skinny, its your fault. Just because your lazy, you point fingers. People who blame God, or their parents for the own faults are idiots. Like you mentioned, its a problem. And to him, it seems like its the last of his problems, so why defend him? He probably gets a laugh or two out of it himself.

Back on topic-
Looking at the multiple CDs out of the box, I thought there was going to be a DVD version? What happened to that?

Come on guys.. the same copy your installing from the CD is what's already on your PC if you DL'ed it from Steam. Your SOL until the 16th and I will start laughing now if you actually went out of your way to buy a copy thinking you could play it ahead of time.

Ready?

Here goes...

lolloL!O!LL!ollollO!Ll1o1ollololollolll.... etc...

dropper said:

With all due respect, you're an idiot. If your too fat it's your fault, if your too skinny it's your fault. Fucking liberal idiots. :rolleyes:

Anyways has anyone seen the CE version up for sale yet?

I thought there was going to be a DVD version? What happened to that?
Only with the Collector's Edition.

CrimandEvil said:
With all due respect, you're an idiot. If your too fat it's your fault, if your too skinny it's your fault. Fucking liberal idiots. :rolleyes:

Hey buddy, thats plagiarism. Look up^. :D :D

CrimandEvil said:

Anyways has anyone seen the CE version up for sale yet?

Only with the Collector's Edition.

Wow criminal another nice flame post. :rolleyes:

Some people really do have eating disorders going either way, whilst others may have been born big boned. To say ALL are fat/skinny by choice is wrong, and only proves how an "Idiot conservitive" is wrong again when faced by facts of science.

sanosuke2999 said:
Like when they had their source code "stolen" and people arrested, because they were just a year behind on development
^^ What actually happened

Stinn said:
.........and everyone was told it would be released on September 30, 2003. On September 15(or right around there) the source code was stolen, or a majority of it was at least..............
^^ BS that Valve wanted people to believe, was part of their ATI promotion money deal

Lets look at your post alittle, Zero facts and lots of assumptions.
Where's my other "nice flame post" huh? :rolleyes:
Has anyone said eating disorders don't exist? No
Did I ever give a political affiliation with myself? No Look at Dropper's sig and I quite frankly don't like most Cali people (They move out here and drive like shit) but I know thats not true of all Cali's (have a few good friends there who have some common sense).
As far as you know I could look like Gabe as well, it's called a sense of humor. Get one.
And if your going to address me atleast get the Handle right, it's either CrimandEvil or just Crim.
Hopefully you can stay on topic next time.
KayossZero said:
Wow criminal another nice flame post.

Some people really do have eating disorders going either way, whilst others may have been born big boned. To say ALL are fat/skinny by choice is wrong, and only proves how an "Idiot conservitive" is wrong again when faced by facts of science.

Hey guys, this is MY thread, stop flaming each other about fatness god dammit :mad:

evildre said:
Hey guys, this is MY thread, stop flaming each other about fatness god dammit :mad:
Sorry man, the know-nothing noobs get on my nerves some time.

there are people who are fat due to hormone imbalances due to gland problems, so they have an excuse.

however there is no which thing as an "eating disorder." we should replace that term with "mental disorder" or "no self control or sense of reality." for instance anorexia is an "eating disorder." wake up bitch, your skinny as shit and dying. eat some damn food. you have "mental disoder" and no sense of reality, and will soon die. Go get help.

or people who eat themselves into tubs of lard. wake up fattass, go walk around the block without a box of twinkees under your arm. you may never be skinny, but at least burn some of that lard off your ass and get in shape. your so called "eating disorder" can be filed under the "no willpower and self control disorder," which is a side branch of the "mental disorder."

sincerely,

deleted.

back on topic.

seriously let me have the game already. my pretty new videocard is drooling.

So has anyone seen the CE version for sale yet? Any other BB's selling it early?

Back