Halo 2 if finaly here what do you think?

As soon as school is out i rush to EB, pick up my preorder, and go home. First thing that struck me is the cheapness of the case. I got the LE, and damn if this thing didnt just have two disks in one single slot. Cheapest damn thing ive ever seen. Worse the UT2003 disk sleeves.

Anyway, the game:

Single Player -

SP is what i tried first and what left the first taste in my mouth. It tasted bad. The game seemed very different to me and i wasnt sure why. the combat and all is the same, but for some reason i had to get used to it all over again. The view or timing is a little different. Anyway, the first couple levels are horrendous. After that however the game sets into a very more Halo esqe game, and im thouroughly enjoying the Single Player where i am now (level 7 i believe). Its calmed down, and started doing what it does best.

The graphics are just absolutely terrible in some spots, and the reason is simple - filtering. The cutscenes are simply awful. This is well beyond not polishing, this is almost simply not giving a damn. The filtering used is horrible. People will simply "pop-up" in the middle of cutscenes. Things willa ctually focus as the scene goes on. For example, a lower deck area of the ship is in a cutscene. For the first 1/2 second of viewing it is a blurry mess. Then it focuses, and becomes much more defined with proper textures, THEN it focuses once more and applies bump-mapping. All of this takes a solid second, is very noticeable, and simply looks horrid. In one vieo Master Cheif was actually a block of green blobs before he turned into himself. Yes, the Chief was a "thing" of green polygons (couldnt have been more then 200) v\before the game focused him into view. In another cutscene, the screen is completely white. Then dialouge starts. Then a florr appears. Then the floor focuses. Then people appear. All this happening while its actually playing and the group of people is supposed to be seen from the beggining. Its simply awful to look at.

Other then that, the graphics are fantastic. Bloom is used rather extensively, however to such great effect its the best implementation ive seen yet. Shaders are applied everywhere, and are not to overdone. My only gripe is they are going for realism in their depiction of earths cities, yet the game has a VERY cartoonish look by default. You end up getting wildy crazy cartoon like covenant in a gritty and architecturaly limited city. It just doesnt feel right to me. Its very solid looking while playing the game, just dont expect pretty story telling sections.

All in all its fun, and very quickly getting to a level in which it will surpass its older brother. It deff takes some getting used to however. Also, the story does indeed suck. I can confirm that. Jumps around all over the damn place, and seems to assume you have read the books. Not good.

Mulitplayer -

Aw hell yeah, now this i like. Xbox Live is simply beautiful on this thing. I havent experienced a touch of lag yet, and thats sayi8ng something. You shoot a bullet, it hits its target immediatly. Very, very nice. the maps are fine, and overall the gametypes are satisfying. The game really is up there with the best on any paltform, period.

Having said that, there are a few problems. Bungies Optimatch simply doesnt work, and leaves you waiting for opponents for over 15 minutes on occasion. I have actually already seen bungie is working to correct this issue, which is a very good thing. This multiplayer, simply put, will go down in history. Its that damn good from the little ive played. Keep in mind however - ive played little, and fealt the same about UT2004 after only playing it a few hours, well have to see how this turns out. The limited stature of the game being static may hurt it in the long run, well ahve to see.

Graphically online is fantastic. Its like Halo, but a little better looking. Not a bad thing considering with over 8 people on screen shooting ive yet to feel slowdown.

Its way to early for me to give the game a rating, but i like what i have overall. Single Player is very shaky at the moment however. Im not sure how it will turn out.

Well I ahve 2 copies. One for me which is the Limtied Edition. And a regular one which I bought for my cousin. I picked it up at 3 but I haven't opend it to play it yet. ANd I most likley won't till next week. I'm going to Toronto Thursday, so I don't want to start then leave for 4 days. Then Im finished with class next week and going back home so I don't want to have saves on my Xbox here in CHicago so I'll just play it in Ohio in about 10 or so days.

Yes I have the willpower. It;s just sitting on my DvD rack.

So far all I've played is the multiplayer for the last 9 hours. It seems sometimes I like it and sometimes I don't. I'm kindof stressed because it seems like the balance of weapon firepower seems a bit off. Tanks seemed unstopable, manly because it's hard to destroy them with anything other than a rocket launcher. Then someone said our problem was that we were still operating in halo 1 mode. Makes sense, I'll have to get used to what is needed for the new one.

The greatest improvement I've noticed is the sound. An awsome ploretha of sounds. Guns, explosions, collisions, all perfect. And I wasn't even listening to 5.1. I could only imagine what that's like. Looking forward to singleplayer.

Played it a little and seems cool. I went through most of the bonus disk and that was really well done as well, definitly worth the $5 extra.

I have only played it past a few check points, im now at the point after you crash land and have fight your way into the city, Im not sure how far along your by now Cali3350 but the only time i saw it go blurry was when the MC's ship got shot down and crash landed and you hear Catanna saying hello, hello and everything is out of focus, he was knocked out.

But
Cali3350
You shoot a bullet, it hits its target immediatly.
this I think should have been done a little differently, unless your standing at point blank range, but when you shoot anything there is a little bit of time laps before the bullet/rocket its the target, and that is not anywhere close to realistic, concidering they consulted with the military and the marines at that.

kubalaTF
because it seems like the balance of weapon firepower seems a bit off. Tanks seemed unstopable, manly because it's hard to destroy them with anything other than a rocket launcher
now this is more realistic, and where they actually listened and understood the what the marines consulted them (Bungie) on. Ask anyone that has been in a war, a Tank has ARMOR, I don't think you could take out a Tank with anything less than a rocket that can pierce ARMOR or a well placed BOMB under it. That is the way it should be in the game as well.

And I think they did pretty good with the way the weapons respond, a gun any gun i don;'t care how big or small kicks back and the bigger the gun the worse it will kick back and some will even knock you on your ass if your not careful, the first time i used the duel guns i was not ready for it and when pulled both triggers it was like i had no controle and ended up shooting at the ceiling :D lmao , but that is pretty dam close to being realistic, the guns have kick back, :cool:

OK, i wrote really long impressions above, so im jut going to give short updates:

Single Player -
Im on level 10 of 15 and can tell you know - its dissapointing. This is not Halo 1 single player.

Multiplayer -
Fantastic. Best this year actually.

[
now this is more realistic, and where they actually listened and understood the what the marines consulted them (Bungie) on. Ask anyone that has been in a war, a Tank has ARMOR, I don't think you could take out a Tank with anything less than a rocket that can pierce ARMOR or a well placed BOMB under it. That is the way it should be in the game as well. [/QUOTE]

But do we need that much realism? For multiplayer, there has to be a balance, without it, thee will be 1 person in a superweapon, with everyone else being the fodder. Of course they didn't let it get THAT bad, but there is still a slight balance problem. It may be fine and the problem is me still playing in halo 1 mode. I just need to get used to it. But it's ok. I like how plasma weapons don't suck as much anymore.

I played through the single player twice, and plan on doing it again on Legendary. The last time I did that with a PC game I was playing Deus Ex. It's about the gameplay, not the graphics. Halo's got it down.

actually, it is about graphics
xbox is the most advanced console on the market, and i'm very dissapointed in halo 2

good gameplay has been around for 30 years or so

kubalaTF said:
now this is more realistic, and where they actually listened and understood the what the marines consulted them (Bungie) on. Ask anyone that has been in a war, a Tank has ARMOR, I don't think you could take out a Tank with anything less than a rocket that can pierce ARMOR or a well placed BOMB under it. That is the way it should be in the game as well.

But do we need that much realism? For multiplayer, there has to be a balance, without it, thee will be 1 person in a superweapon, with everyone else being the fodder. Of course they didn't let it get THAT bad, but there is still a slight balance problem. It may be fine and the problem is me still playing in halo 1 mode. I just need to get used to it. But it's ok. I like how plasma weapons don't suck as much anymore.

I think we all are still looking back at H1 and needing to get into the groove of things with H2 and I have yet to play Multi player yet, But it sure seems like this what they were looking to do and that is what ended up geing their goal to for the realism.

I personally like the realism, but that is just a matter of preferennce but i do remember the Bungie people saying that when in multi player, if your defender in a base, your weapons are very much limited and if im not mistaken they said you have is a rocket launcher, while the attacker has a choice of weapons, now that sux.

The tank situation is easy.

I've stolen tankes from other players at least six times. If I couldn't get in the cockpit, I smashed open the sides and tossed in a grenade (Which still solves the tank problem).

All in all, I think I've stolen about twenty vehicles in multiplayer matches.

this I think should have been done a little differently, unless your standing at point blank range, but when you shoot anything there is a little bit of time laps before the bullet/rocket its the target, and that is not anywhere close to realistic, concidering they consulted with the military and the marines at that.

He means in terms of lag, I believe. There is a natural time gap between you and your target when you're shooting, but lag doesn't play into this nearly as bad as it does in other games (Battlefield 1942, for example...you have to lead targets, even when they're within ten feet).

michealo said:
xbox is the most advanced console on the market, and i'm very dissapointed in halo 2

Alright what console FPS looks better? :confused: ohh wait...nope...that's right.

and how shallow of you. :rolleyes:

michealo said:

It is a 733 mhz computer with little RAM and a Geforce 3. I think they did a fine job with the graphics considering the limited specs.

michealo said:

Wrong.
If you want graphics play on your computer, the fact that they are pulling off graphics this good with the XBOX internals is amazing. With the minor crap out (cutscenes will forever plague this game) of graphics there is alot to be appreciated. The AI on the harder settings in simply amazing. The code for them was really well written and probably the best I have ever seen.
I have to now ask if you actually own it, or own an XBOX. No offense but it seems that the majority of complainers are PS2 owners who cant get it, and dont want to fork out the cash to buy and XBOX for this title. The graphics will never match a PC's but for what they have to work with I say I am truly impressed.

I'm just getting into the part where the Covenant cut scenes matter (trying to say that without a spoiler, also taking my sweet ass time) and it totally caught me by surprise. This game is making me want ot go out and get the XBOX live account, plus wirless router, and wireless adapter and what not.

EDIT: Damn I get a phone call while trying to point something out, and 3 people beat me to the punchline.

i didn't compare it to PC or PS2, you guys did

perhaps there was a mixup at the bungie plant, i seem to have gotten the halo expansion pack in my halo 2 case.
:rolleyes:

ninethreeeleven said:
I'm just getting into the part where the Covenant cut scenes matter (trying to say that without a spoiler, also taking my sweet ass time) and it totally caught me by surprise.

Yeah that got me too! :p Very cool though. So far on live i've only played 1v1's. Hoping to play some team games tonight.

562116_20041105_screen031%20copy.jpg

914983_20041026_screen008%20copy.jpg

And no I'm not a XBOX f a n b o y*.... I am just pointing out how great the graphics are compared to another recently released title on another system.

*I haven't used my xbox other than as a dvd player in months, so long since that I bought a new controller just to make sure I had a working one.... the other one is under about 2 mm of dust!

Ahhh I think Halo2 comes with a free 2month Xbox Live account? At least for the CE. I still havent tried to use the free account yet but I will on thursday when I got more time to.

Yup, the normal version comes with the free 2 month trial, as well.

I really recommend getting an Xbox Communicator, to get the best out of Xbox Live, though. Voice support adds so much to the experience. I was surprised at how well voice works over Xbox Live.

Ya, I tried to talk to ya last night Cats...it's kind of hard to set-up a party when you're not sure if the other person can hear you.

ninethreeeleven said:
And no I'm not a XBOX f a n b o y*.... I am just pointing out how great the graphics are compared to another recently released title on another system.

*I haven't used my xbox other than as a dvd player in months, so long since that I bought a new controller just to make sure I had a working one.... the other one is under about 2 mm of dust!

hilarious. Very clever.

WickedAngel said:
Ya, I tried to talk to ya last night Cats...it's kind of hard to set-up a party when you're not sure if the other person can hear you.

Yeah, I'm going to grab one today, probably. :cool:

WickedAngel said:
He means in terms of lag, I believe. There is a natural time gap between you and your target when you're shooting, but lag doesn't play into this nearly as bad as it does in other games (Battlefield 1942, for example...you have to lead targets, even when they're within ten feet).

Actually, in BF42 it's a double edged sword. You have to lead your targets playing offline with bots and in Multiplayer. That's because DICE coded bullets to have travel time (like tank shells and rockets) rather than insta-hit. I think it makes the game more fun because snipers aren't just killing you left and right. You can actually DODGE their fire. Hell, I've fired at a guy sniping with my own sniper rifle and we both ended up killing each other. My bullet passed his half-way.

Meh I play about 6 hours of CO-OP last night, with only a few deaths (wtf, they have laser sniper rifles?) Anyhow, gone through the 2nd time I get to be a covenant dude, that campaign is pretty fun, I woulda rahter ahd them split then bouncing back and forth, but they do it pretty well.

XBOX Live is fun too, I played a couple hours of team play games, got up to 4th rank (w00t I suck, I seen people up to 9 already) only had lag once really, and mostly noticed it at beginning and respawning, very smooth over all.

I understand some of the bullet speed complaints but its not like were shooting bird shot from a 20 gauge in these games. Rifles and "laser beam rifles" or what ever the particular game calls them dont really need leading (especially the later). If your 50 yards from a running target with a rifle the lead may be 2-6 inches in front in real life, not the 1 to 2 feet neccesary in games. So if someone is going to complain about leading the target, at least make sure the leading is correct or at least aproximately correct.
Unless of course your in outer space, then with no air resistance your bullet will travel at its muzzle velocity and then it will have to be even less of a lead margin.

But for anyone (no one has yet) to say that you need to lead with a covenant weapon or a laser rifle in Tribes, who are you say how these alien weapons preform? And lasers (last time I checked) travel pretty fuckin fast*.

*fuckin fast: equivalent to but not greater than the speed of light, but no less fast than a priest in Toys-R-Us.

As to the "its not that big an improvement over Halo 1" comments I have this to say:

With the rush job it got getting out the door under pressure from Microsoft its still a wonder Halo 1 worked at all. If you stop and consider the PC versions is about 110% of what they origionally wanted to get into Halo 1, then the XBOX version is more like 50%, Halo 1 on the XBOX is really just an overblown demo for Halo 2. Halo 2 is the real game.

Yes the singleplayer has a new "feel" its much more involved, the AI so vastly improved, and the graphics just a bit more polished. The depth of the characters that accompany you is sweet, I love all the extremely marine things they say. I busted out laughing for 5 minutes when the sarage was berating one marine, "Did I give you permission to bitch? No! Now get your ass out there and kill all the inhuman sons of bitches you see!".

The cut scenes could still use work, with all the multimedia power of the XBOX why didn't they just put in mpeg2 cutscenes? I know it wouldn't allow for such a smooth transition but then atleast I'd get to see the whole scene. We need the special edition XBOXes with upgraded CPUs or something to come out to get these scenes running smoothly I think.

Still, best game I've played on XBOX in a long time, and now I hafta buy my own account so it doesn't look like my friend kicks ass in CTF, cause he surely doesn't...

Like:
Dual wield of course. :)
Vehicle-jacking
Covenant weapons

Dislike:
Elites look taller since Halo 1 and they are much easier to kill (of course, if they were just as difficult, this game would be impossible even on Normal)
Graphical glitches in cutscenes
Lots of environments are too dark

Used to dislike until 20 minutes ago:
Playing as the Elite. Having to use the obsolete armor and stealth and sneak around the damn Flood was starting to get fun.

And yes, the Marine comments (and Elite/Grunt comments) are hilarious. "When I said, 'Bring on the pain.' I didn't mean bring on the pain." (When you shoot your own guy.)

yuckydog said:
Like:
Dual wield of course. :)
Vehicle-jacking
Covenant weapons

Dislike:
Elites look taller since Halo 1 and they are much easier to kill (of course, if they were just as difficult, this game would be impossible even on Normal)
Graphical glitches in cutscenes
Lots of environments are too dark

Used to dislike until 20 minutes ago:
Playing as the Elite. Having to use the obsolete armor and stealth and sneak around the damn Flood was starting to get fun.

And yes, the Marine comments (and Elite/Grunt comments) are hilarious. "When I said, 'Bring on the pain.' I didn't mean bring on the pain." (When you shoot your own guy.)

Ill admit I didnt read all of the posts so far but I read a lot of them. Ah yea so gj on spoling apart of the game for the people that didnt know that you play as the covenant for some missions in the game. And Bungie stated long ago that the Elites were going to be weaker maybe for the point that you made that it would be ridicuosly hard or maybe b/c they realized that it was like impossible to take one down with the assult rifle in the first game (let alone aything besides a pistol, shotgun, or rocket launcher)

1. I miss my assault rifle.
2. I miss the clean graphics.
3. I miss having a CLUE where I'm going. WTF happened to the red arrow?
4. I miss clean, uncluttered maps where I can see (co-op, mostly).
5. I miss having health. WTF?
6. I miss the vehicles having clean controls. They're all clumsy as fuck now. (especially fuel rod on the banshee)
7. I miss the vehicles being FAST. They're all slow as fuck now.
8. I miss the grenade physics.
9. I miss the invulnerable Warthog... no more grenade bounces through impassible areas.
10. I miss not having slowdown and draw-in like crazy.

1. I love the dual wield.
2. I love being able to steal vehicles :D
3. I love the enemy vehicles.
4. I love all the new weapons.
5. I love being able to shoot parts off of vehicles.

It's a good game. Not all what I hoped for though.

I apologize if I gave away that Darth Vader is Luke's father :p but if people don't have the game yet or haven't fully played it yet, coming into a thread that asks people of their opinions on the game, they must know that they are going to possibly discuss parts of the game. Personally, I avoided any forums/threads/web sites that would even possibly discuss Halo 2 before I got it and played it because I knew I'd find out something before I encountered it in the game.

Minor spoiler alert: ODST are such wusses. I hope I see them more later in the game but in the "Helljumpers" level, they were getting a whuppin' by Jackals and Grunts.

I'm playing single player on legendary, and it's pretty damn hard. Elites still take a ton of hits to kill. I'm interested to know how fast someone could beat the game on legendary.

Oh, and the best marine comment ever: If you're gonna curse, put the emphasis on the CURSE word!

ninethreeeleven said:
562116_20041105_screen031%20copy.jpg

914983_20041026_screen008%20copy.jpg

I honestly dont see the difference. One has clearer textures by a very small margin. Both look nasty, though.

Is any one kind of disappointed in the single player? Multiplayer is one of the best on console yet done. Except for the fact that there is no online CO-OP! Well I found the story to be kind of a let down from the first one. Where suppose to care now what where shooting at. If Life imated art there would be no war. Oh and people trying to compare GTA:SA and Halo 2 is like trying to compare apples and oranges. Just too diffrent to even try to compare the two. Just the amount of time it takes to complete each game is evident enough of the diffrences. Well I personally think Half-Life 2 will be a better first person shooter than halo. And Metroid Prime Echoes will be a adventure game than San Andreas.

I think the draw-in problems that everyone is having are a load speed issue and not a processing power issue. When running the game from my hard drive, the draw-in and texture lag is way less apparent. It seems Bungie could have done a better job of pre-loading models and textures in cutscenes.

Back