HL2 delayed again?

Doom 3 was so blah...this game is the only one that gives me hope for the next few years of good gaming on-line. See links below:

08-26-2004
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1056899605282&skuId=5756041&type=product

09-01-2004
http://ebgames.com/ebx/product/243836.asp

09-01-2004
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=293507&pfp=SEARCH

09-02-2004
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=32-128-118&depa=0

I would say Sept is still possible and this is nothing more then a rumor?

Here are my thoughts:

I don't know if it's official, but it is weird that so many retailers did the same thing around the same time.

CS:S beta is preloaded and will go live at ~9pm est tonight (valve has a history of starting things at this time. both the preload and the cafe beta started then). It seems like Steam got DDOS'ed again today (check here, but everything seems to be fine again).

Remember people, HL2 and CS:S will be available on Steam at least a few weeks before it is available in stores. This is because they can put it on there without having to worry about packaging, shipping, etc. As much as the CS community whines about Steam, its a pretty damn good program (now at least).

I am still looking forward to Half-Life 2. That being said, i think we can all agree that Valve should have kept their mouths shut from the very beginning, when it came to release dates. There is NO way that Valve didn't know the game was no where near complete last September.

There are plenty of theories about why they gave a false release date back then. My least favorite involves their deal with ATI, and the introduction of the 9800 XT. I am also tired of hearing about this stolen code that was the initial excuse given for the game's delay. I have no doubt that code was stolen, but it is a flat out LIE to say that was why the game's release was delayed by this amount of time. We are all smarter than that.

So, i come back to what i said before, Valve should have kept their mouths shut about a release date, or they should have gone the id Software route and said, "When it's done." They have given everyone a bad taste in their mouth, when it comes to this game. When the thought of HL2 should bring excitement and anticipation. It is a damn shame.

I am still looking forward to playing the game, but i no longer feel any excitment regarding it. And, honestly, at this point, it better be a true and excellent sequel to Half-Life, because otherwise the gaming community will bash it like no game since Daiktana. [End Rant]

joemama said:
It's been done for years...they are just waiting to quietly release it the day before HL2. :p
Oh is that the reason? I just thought the developers were a bunch of dicks. ;)

mi1stormilst said:
Doom 3 was so blah...this game is the only one that gives me hope for the next few years of good gaming on-line. See links below:

08-26-2004
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1056899605282&skuId=5756041&type=product

Hit Estimate Arrival date and you get this:

Est. Arrival Date

Half Life 2

SecondDay( $6.00 ) Ground( $1.50 ) NextDay( $9.00 ) Pre-order this item
Store Availability Coming Soon

11/5-11/10/2004

I would say Sept is still possible and this is nothing more then a rumor?

Who knows, but it looks like most of the retailers including walmart where I ordered from switched to Nov.

Filter said:
when has walmart had any game when it was released ?
I've seen them but several games out before they were suppose to be released. :rolleyes:

Oh hell no....this crap pisses me off. Why don't they pull a id "It'll be done when it's done"?! The would piss off far fewer people.

Honestly, who here really thought they were going to make a Sept 1 or so release date. Even if they went gold today that'd be pushing it.

hahahahah

i took a bet with my friend a couple days ago saying HL2 will be delayed again....oh i was so right...LOL!....oh well even if it is a rumor, no one knows when it will be released. if at all

anyways doom3 kicks hl2's ass LOL!!!....imo...and cs is dead... :D

CrimandEvil said:
From what I know, no one know much about it. Rumor is it has HL:Source and CS:Source.

I thought CS:Source was going to be shipped standard with all HL2 copies. Isn't CS:Source going to be the sole multiplayer component of HL2 at the time of release?

compslckr said:
alright here is my theory....

there will be a doom 4 before hl2 even ships

this is getting retarded, they need to get their asses in gear and finish the damn game

Nice doom 4: hell on earth, and an excuse to use vehicles.

Back to topic, honestly I'm guessing sept 29th, but if they can't make that then
:rolleyes:

CrimandEvil said:
Ahahahahahahahaha
I guess after they leaked the script they're going back to rewrite it. :rolleyes:

I hope that Walmart just screwed up though.

They are not rewriting the script.. get a clue. They announced months back it would be completed in sept 04. Now Vivendi has to produce, package, etc.. the game. I expected Nov all along.. did you actually expect Sept ? lol.

CrimandEvil said:
If the game is being delayed because ATI can't seem to be able to get any XTPEs out then I'm simple never buying anything ATI again. :mad:
Gee, i don't know. After ATI sold all those coupons and the game never came out, I wouldnt blame them for bitching at the HL2 gang. haha

theNoid said:
They are not rewriting the script.. get a clue. They announced months back it would be completed in sept 04. Now Vivendi has to produce, package, etc.. the game. I expected Nov all along.. did you actually expect Sept ? lol.
:rolleyes: Do you know what a joke is? J-O-K-E? :rolleyes:
Reading comprehension must not be your strong suit, lol.

At this point I don't really expect (nor do I care) to see HL2.

If the game is being delayed because ATI can't seem to be able to get any XTPEs out then I'm simple never buying anything ATI again.

So, CrimandEvil, if this is true, in a couple years you'll refuse to even consider an ATI card for a game you don't even want to play?

At this point I don't really expect (nor do I care) to see HL2.

Doesn't seem very logical. :(

Squishead said:
I am just not impressed with 3D Realms...when is my Duke Nukem Forever coming out? :( Haha...oh right..."when it is done". My mistake :rolleyes:

At least, you have to give 3D Realms credit for not LYING, as seems to have been the case withHalf-Life 2 (not sure if it was Vivendi or Valve that made that anouncement). But how can you SERIOUSLY make an HONEST mistake like "The game will be out in 4 months" only to retract it later and say "oops, I meant 14 months"???

If the delay is for Team Fortress 2 it would be so cool. I have been hoping that HL2 would come bundled with TF2. Valve probably views it as another revenue stream and it will be sold separately later.

Can't blame a guy for dreamin'.

Jonsey said:
So, CrimandEvil, if this is true, in a couple years you'll refuse to even consider an ATI card for a game you don't even want to play?
I said that if it is true (and I hope not) that ATI is the one putting press on Valve to wait til they can put out a card that owns in HL2 then I'm totally done with ATI. How would you feel if NV had put pressure on id to delay D3 just because they didn't have a good enough card for it or one available with purchase of said game?

In the CS:Source benchmark conclusion the guy said that the best possible card for CS:S and by extention HL2 and HL2 based games is going to be the XTPE....good luck finding one though.

Does that make sense?

Doesn't seem very logical. :(
Your right, I was kind of busy so I made a quick comment without proofing it :rolleyes: lol
It should have been something like this:
At this point I don't really expect (nor do I care) about playing HL2, I'm just not very impressed with it any more.
Back when I first say the E3 videos I thought it was going to be #@!% awesome, but time dragged on and Gabe shot his mouth off too many times. Now I find it hard to care about anything HL2 related, hell the newest video released last week is nothing more then the old stuff. Valve should have simple gone the id route by saying "when it's done" instead of setting release date after release date.

Heres some more of my comments that should further explain:
Am I the only one not very impressed with Valve and HL2? I'm not even looking forward to it any more. Whats the point if I have to go through three or four video card product cycles before the game is even released?
While I don't go so far as Dome does I feel that everyone is going to give Valve a free pass once it (final) gets released (if ever). Something about that doesn't sit right with me.

Well I guess since it's moved to a release in November I can just get someone to get it for me as a birthday gift, lol. I guess I'll have to "mention" it to the GF, lol.

its not pushed to november, thats the collectors edition of course it wont be out on the same day as normal one, the collectors edition will have hl1 ported to source engine as well as DoD and opfor, so it will take them a while, hl2 IS coming out september!

shack

Half-Life 2 preloading is set to begin on Steam some time today although you cant really do anything with the preload considering the game is a couple of gigs you might want to leave Steam running for a while.

Makes Sept 1 seem pretty believable

Jiffylush said:
shack

Makes Sept 1 seem pretty believable

well, they're only preloading some aspects of the game which won't change before the completion, they're not preloading the whole game just yet.

It's kind of like with CS:Source, some of the high rez 'snuff didn't get loaded up so that people's DL time wasn't horrible (although you'll still probably have to let it sit over night as it DLs).

CrimandEvil said:
It's kind of like with CS:Source, some of the high rez 'snuff didn't get loaded up so that people's DL time wasn't horrible (although you'll still probably have to let it sit over night as it DLs).
Hmm I doubt it. I'm willing to bet that the HL2 preload that supposedly starts today will be about the same size or smaller than the CS: Source beta, which was about 370 megs. CS: S took me about 45 minutes to get from Steam (and I started the DL 1 min after it was released), so unless Steam's bandwidth gets raped harder than it did with CS: S, I doubt leaving it on overnight will be necessary.

gumplunger said:
Hmm I doubt it. I'm willing to bet that the HL2 preload that supposedly starts today will be about the same size or smaller than the CS: Source beta, which was about 370 megs. CS: S took me about 45 minutes to get from Steam (and I started the DL 1 min after it was released), so unless Steam's bandwidth gets raped harder than it did with CS: S, I doubt leaving it on overnight will be necessary.

CS:S was only getting downloaded by HL2 coupon holders and CZ owners. HL2 preload will be for everyone. Mucho bandwidth there. I say leave it overnight.

tamislan said:
I sent in the Bestbuy HL2 coupon I got with my ATI 9800 Pro 128 last October (2003). I've now upgraded my video card (August 2004). At this rate I'll have upgraded again by the time that game shows up.

Lol me too...but i went to nVidia...

D4hPr0 said:
CS:S was only getting downloaded by HL2 coupon holders and CZ owners. HL2 preload will be for everyone. Mucho bandwidth there. I say leave it overnight.
Point well taken.

Back