kyle pwns ati hah nice job

Status
Not open for further replies.
tranCendenZ said:
The question is, will Kyle go ahead and do an X1800XT review next week when its well known that it won't be available in stores until November at the earliest (with X1800XL available in Oct)

Well put. IMO, it doesn't mean much if Kyle doesn't put his money (all the hits he'd lose for not posting a launch day review) where his mouth is. If he does, that's worth a lot of credibility, at least to me. It would show all the hardware vendors he's serious. If not, this "pwning" is not much different than your average forum rant.

I agree with Kyle's comments, but it would have been just as effective without the "Canuck promises". The country where a company is based has no bearing on the people that live there.

And to the person that said "the canadians need to stop their crying", grow up.

Proud toque wearing, doughnut eating, omg it's cold up here, Canadian. :)

Blown Cap said:
I agree with Kyle's comments, but it would have been just as effective without the "Canuck promises". The country where a company is based has no bearing on the people that live there.

And to the person that said "the canadians need to stop their crying", grow up.

Proud toque wearing, doughnut eating, omg it's cold up here, Canadian. :)

lol...silly canadian...;)

Well this seems to be the last straw for me. If I didn't know any better I would say that the news post you are referring to was written by a 16 year old.

It is funny when someone writes in the same article that they do not wish to have their integrity to be compromised while at the same time acting like a child, turning to vilification and degrading to total and utter ignorance. The only thing missing to be completely disreputable would be to throw in some racial slurs and you would have hit the holy trinity of making an ass of your self.

Also at the same time as all these things are going on you command respect from some form of hierarchical tech-review world where people can slander entire countries and be cheered on by the masses (masses may they be, smart they be not).

Why don’t you go back to surfing forums for un-verified information and then put it on the main news section of your site since you are so reputable? Then that information will be made true just by being on this crazy site! I think we need another May 2002, go back to surfing the MadOnion forums, ops they’re FutureMark now.

Book-mark deleted… peace out.

I decided to chime in my 2 cents on this. Firstly, Daedalus_AI your comments are frankly out of line in my opinion. Yes, Kyle went to a very hash extreme with the news post, however it was something many already believe and at least he had the balls to say it. Anyone who doesn't think ATI is dropping the ball terribly is just ignoring the facts of the situation.

As for Kyle posting a preview of the r520 next week. I think it's perfectly fine if he does. It's a tech enthusiast website and his job is to report on hardware, both available and future. The big factor will be how the preview is setup. If he just gives us a solid look into the tech and numbers it produces thats fine as long as it does also come with the disclaimer that these cards wont be available till november or so. Remember, HardOCP has a responsibilty to all of us to give us the facts, so by previewing the new tech, Kyle will let us know exactly whats coming, he just needs to becareful not to reccommend something which may not see the light of day for a while like he did with crossfire. Give us the facts and avoid the hype.

Open up any news paper or magazine from New York Times to Playboy and you see what in the very first pages, even before the review/news/interview articals? Comments and opinions from editors, critics, and reviewers. As far as I can remember I have seen one in every single Popular Science since 1994 when I started reading them, and they have been around for... well long long time.

Voicing their opinions and critisizing an orgination on their method of business isn't ignorance, and I don't see anywhere in Kyle's post where he made up information.

Daedalus_AI said:
Why don’t you go back to surfing forums for un-verified information and then put it on the main news section of your site since you are so reputable? Then that information will be made true just by being on this crazy site! I think we need another May 2002, go back to surfing the MadOnion forums, ops they’re FutureMark now./QUOTE]

I'm assuming you're keeping the THG, Anandtech, and Inquirer bookmarks? Cause, you know, they are very stand-upish, non-biased and forthcoming and all. Best bet would be Better Homes and Gardens for all your hold-hands-and-skip-through-wheatfields hardware review needs.

Give me a site/reviewer that says, "Hey, product X doesn't cut it, here's why" or "WTF, paper launches" (paraphrasing, of course). There are very few sites that don't kow-tow to the weight of the gorrilas of the industry, and I consider the merry bunch of [H] to be one of them. My .02.

Daedalus_AI said:
Well this seems to be the last straw for me. If I didn't know any better I would say that the news post you are referring to was written by a 16 year old.

It is funny when someone writes in the same article that they do not wish to have their integrity to be compromised while at the same time acting like a child, turning to vilification and degrading to total and utter ignorance. The only thing missing to be completely disreputable would be to throw in some racial slurs and you would have hit the holy trinity of making an ass of your self.

Also at the same time as all these things are going on you command respect from some form of hierarchical tech-review world where people can slander entire countries and be cheered on by the masses (masses may they be, smart they be not).

Why don’t you go back to surfing forums for un-verified information and then put it on the main news section of your site since you are so reputable? Then that information will be made true just by being on this crazy site! I think we need another May 2002, go back to surfing the MadOnion forums, ops they’re FutureMark now.

Book-mark deleted… peace out.

It's always sad when people take things the wrong way. I, like Kyle, have a tendency to speak my mind...and I also have the habit of offending people on occasion. But anyone who knows me, knows that to me it's all just good-natured ribbing and nothing is meant by it. I don't hate anyone, but I like to make fun of EVERYONE. I'm also a big fan of people having a tough skin, so if you find kyle's comments offensive I feel that is very much your problem. Kyle has every right to speak his mind, and if what's on his mind is perfectly politically correct, well that's his right.

In any case, deleting a bookmark to this site simply because the owner likes to run his mouth, well, that's retarded and you're pretty much a whining sissy for doing so.

Lighten up.

Well said Kyle. by chance was the online retailer you checked for availability happen to be NewEgg???

purgatory said:
Well said Kyle. by chance was the online retailer you checked for availability happen to be NewEgg???

Do you really even have to ask? :D ;)

purgatory said:

...I'm pretty sure it was Best Buy ..

looking back i got few things to say how you addressed ATI kyle.

1. dont you think its kind degratory to put ATI down in this fashsion especially when people know ATI has been kind of slow to getting out their flagship products

"If NVIDIA does it, we can do it too!"
2. To be fair, NV introduced 16xAA only after ATI announced 14xAA
NV implemented mix-match only after ATI kept bragging abot their non mixmatch technique

so really it goes both ways. you cant just say ATI is the only one playing follow the leader game

And oh yeah, Quake 4 just went Gold. WooHoo! I think I just found a reason to go ahead and go SLI. (Always been a big Quake fan...) Too bad CrossFire is not a real option, although I am unsure whether or not I would consider it at this time, just due to having a fear of lacking support and service by ATI.

3. Again you are just rubbing on ATIs face and i doubt thats how professional reviewers especially well respected reviewer acts.

i am sure ATI will bring a bring a kick ass product and its probably a bit late now but i only things will get back to being normal by the time ATI launches r580.

Do you really even have to ask?

The reason I asked is because ATI says NewEgg has Crossfire x850 master cards.

Radeon X850 XTs CrossFire Edition cards have been shipped to Newegg and we expect them to be posted any time now and we are confident no later than the end of the week. The X800 XLs and X800s will follow shortly after—around October 10th. DFI's CrossFire Edition motherboards will also be available on Newegg at the end of this week/beginning of next. The others: MSI, ASUS, GBT, ECS, PCPartner, ABIT will follow will follow shortly thereafter.

http://www.techreport.com/onearticle.x/8853

If it was NewEgg that said not till november, that doesnt fly with what ATI said, so someone has to be wrong. ATI or NewEgg. So is newegg mistaken or is ATI full of shit.

I bet ATi will still beg [H] to review their products - corporations know no shame!

purgatory said:
So is newegg mistaken or is ATI full of shit.
This might be one to flip a coin over!

Heads = Newegg is mistaken (in thinking they'll be getting cards when ATI says they will)

Tails = ATI is full of shit (right to the brim).

tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

I was wholeheartedly supporting Kyle on his comment about ATi until he mentioned the part about "Canuck promises". Kyle, I've been a fan of your site for over half a decade and after reading that post from you, it made me lose a whole lot of respect for you. I've been walking proud and about with my {H]ardOCP: Work Hard, Play Hard, Stay [H]ard T-Shirt for years now, but after reading that Canuck comment you made, it almost makes me want to burn it. I don't feel proud to be [H]ard anymore.

:(

Tuvok said:
I was wholeheartedly supporting Kyle on his comment about ATi until he mentioned the part about "Canuck promises". Kyle, I've been a fan of your site for over half a decade and after reading that post from you, it made me lose a whole lot of respect for you. I've been walking proud and about with my {H]ardOCP: Work Hard, Play Hard, Stay [H]ard T-Shirt for years now, but after reading that Canuck comment you made, it almost makes me want to burn it. I don't feel proud to be [H]ard anymore.

:(

aaaaawwww :( lol

Sir-Fragalot said:
ATi started in low end high volume OEM sales. That's their roots. Ultimately that's what makes the most money. Remember Intel is the worlds largest graphics chipset provider. There are more integrated Intel video chips in PC's today than all the nVidia and ATi chips combined. ATi is still too large right now to go under like 3DFX did. 3DFX had a long history of poor management decisions, and wasted income. Such as buying STB and trying to become your own board maker. That was the worst decision they ever made..Combine that with missappropriated funds and unethical accounting practices and eventually they folded.

ATi is not in that position. Yes they've had some execs cooking the books a little bit, but nothing on 3DFX's level. Now a couple more years of this BS and then they will be in serious trouble. For now, they are only shooting themselves in the foot with the enthusiest crowd. Which is the smallest market segment they have to deal with.

If ATi called off R520 and Crossfire everythng, and just went back to OEM sales, they'd still survive. I would be willing to bet that their console deals are more important financially then what they'd get out of X1800XT sales.
Good post, I'll add one thing. No console maker would use ATI if they had alienated pc gamers. And yes, this includes MS. Don't forget, their console is weeks away from launching... too late to switch now..

Don't Canidians have a hockey team by the same name?

As someone who personally refers to himself (American living in Germany) as an 'Ami' which is more or less the german 'Canuck' for Americans, I think it is no big deal.

It is at the worst a word stemming from the friendly rivalry between the two neighbors. At best it is a term of endearment between close partners or a historical name.

Sorry, this is not the 'N' word.

When CNN reports on a 'Washington' scandal, does everyone there get offended?

Of course we all like our northern neighbors.

Canuck defined: By a Canadian!!
the term "Canuck" still represents the best qualities of being a Canadian
Linky
Anyway, back on topic: Way to go Kyle!! This is the reason I read this website first.

The word "Canuck" is in no way at all offensive. It's the way Kyle used the word in his statement, implying that Canuck promises are as good as Tom Pabst's word: ie. implying that we're liars.

Tuvok said:
The word "Canuck" is in no way at all offensive. It's the way Kyle used the word in his statement, implying that Canuck promises are as good as Tom Pabst's word: ie. implying that we're liars.

Exactly.

I agree, making a general statement about all canadians just because ATI is a canadian company is wrong. :rolleyes:

"It has been one week since ATI launched the X850 XT CrossFire Edition card upon the world. Our review was one of many that were posted on that very day, all with claims of product availability at launch. The problem is we still haven’t seen product hit shelves or e-tailers anywhere. "

looks like ATI pretty much LIED about availability,and used {Hard}OCP as a messanger.
ATI has told one big lie after another for about 5 or 6 months "depending on how you count it".

"Why don’t you go back to surfing forums for un-verified information and then put it on the main news section of your site since you are so reputable? Then that information will be made true just by being on this crazy site! I think we need another May 2002, go back to surfing the MadOnion forums, ops they’re FutureMark now".

If you can't trust the information that ATI themself gives you,who do you trust?

ATI are liers,even a blind Canadian caveman can see that.

1. Thumbs up to Kyle for not putting up with FUD! :)

2. He is dead on.
The proof?
No reply from ATI.
They know they got pwned...

Terra - Like it or not...

soulsaver_8229 said:
i want things to preform and look good, wth you think rims and body kits, suspension kits sell?

its making your ride mo fly~ and making it look good while your at it

HAHAHAHAHAHAH...them so called rim kits and fart tips make a car look like shit.

as for making your ride mo fly....LOL!!!!!!!!!11111one one....

Is that like putting a wing on a neon to make it faster? Or how about stickers? maybe a FART tip...LOL!

[RIP]Zeus said:
... Or how about stickers? maybe a FART tip...LOL!
Comeon everyone KNOWS stickers make things run faster :D

Back on topic, about time Kyle said something to ATI. I am amazed how FAR behind they are with their launches :eek:

Oh noes, canada is mad. Are they going to invade with hockey sticks? ;)

But seriously, if cards aren't available tomorrow, BLAME CANADA!

There is absolutely no reason for us Canadians to be mad. After all we're not the ones who voted Bush in. Twice. Congrats.

hmmmm.......

Being an owner of a X850XT card, i am partially pro ATI, but never have been a !!!!!! of either of the 2 big videocard manufacturers. I'd switch in an instant if the price/performance is right on.

This being said, Kyle is right about his comments regarding paper launches. Was his choice of words correct? Questionable but understandable.

A smart move would've been to wait a couple more days for the (paper?)launch of the R520 and see if they deliver the chip AND the boards for xfire on time. Sure, the crossfire is late (way too late imho), but if they deliver crossfire AND R520 (that's a big IF), and the performance is stellar, then everyone loves ATI again. That's just how the industry works.

The one thing i wish is that Kyle won't ever turn into a disgruntled editor that threatens a company to "bring down their stock prices". We've seen where that leads with other people. ;)

ivzk said:
There is absolutely no reason for us Canadians to be mad. After all we're not the ones who voted Bush in. Twice. Congrats.

We did it to keep the comedy industry working. Otherwise, America would stop laughing, the economy would tank (even more so), then where would we be? Blaming democrats for a crappy economy, then electing another republican. The system works!

I just can't see why they didn't hold xfire and launch it with R520 other then a "me too" mentality. :rolleyes:

Maybe then xfire wouldn't have looked like such a thrown together "solution."

This website is the only one with the balls to say what everybody else wishes they could say......but they're too busy kissing up. Cudos to [H]ardocp and to the Voodoo people for not being pussies.
Im really anxious on all fronts to see what happens tomorrow. will there be any x1800 cards to look at????? :D
Oh, yeah....I dont think this has anything to do with Canada,Taiwan,the USA, or even Mars.....just the broken promise of very large corporate knuckleheads.

This is getting ridiculous. How stupid or desperate is ATI. Lying is one thing but lying about things that are easily disproven is just bad business. Can't wait to see the fun that emerges from the R520 "hard" launch.

Ways for us to creatively handle a mass quantity of paper.

Kudos to you, Kyle, for saying what you feel. They clank when ya walk, don't they?!
biggrin.gif

Couple of things:

1: sounds like ATI wrote kyle something nasty that they really shouldn't have done. Especially since Hardocp just reports the news.

2: Still hoping the mainstream cards come out tomorrow and they are correcting past mistakes even with the motherboard. They still have a chance.

3: I know master cards are had to find, but curious: can you use an SLI board in a crossfire setup? If so, then they can minimize one problem in a way :) granted they ahve to go to their competition for help :p

skindogg said:
Oh noes, canada is mad. Are they going to invade with hockey sticks? ;)

But seriously, if cards aren't available tomorrow, BLAME CANADA!

They're not even a real country anyway :D

I am of course amused that the canucks are all up in arms over this, when ATI does well they take it as a matter of national pride that its a canadian company, but now that they are fuckin up your damn staight your gonna take the lumps with them too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back