miniG5ized

Sorry I forgot to update this worklog. Here is a massive update of all the things I`ve done since last time.

Finally got the edge of the clear acrylic cut out so it`ll fit the top window and bottom window better. Still need to clean the edges.
IMG_0653.jpg

IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0656.jpg

IMG_0657.jpg

The only edge that is different is the cd rom side. Because of the placement of the screw I couldnt cut them like the rest but it doesnt stick out a lot.
IMG_0658.jpg

Then I started working on the mobo back plate. I used one taken from an acrylic case as a template to work from. Everything is cutout already but don`t have the pic of it. I still need to bend the edges.
IMG_0649.jpg

IMG_0662.jpg

IMG_0664.jpg

Also I finally got around to ordering the watercooling parts from overseas. The bad news is that the shop I was going to order the rad from stopped carrying them. :evil: Which means I have to put two orders from two different shops to get everything. Sucks for me because I have to pay twice the shipping but the good news is that I found this great ebay company from england that is working with me to get me some stuff. The other good thing is that watercooling stuff over there is cheap so I`m savng money by buying from them but wasting it on shipping. For example the Cuplex xt from sharka computers costs 110 from them. I`m getting it for 73. :D :D :D :D I can`t put enough smileys. Its just so beautiful
cpx-xt-a64-lg.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guess what showed up in the mail today? I really wasnt expecting my rad and waterblock to arrive so fast. Well here are the pics.
IMG_0704.jpg

IMG_0709.jpg

IMG_0711.jpg

Hold up let me get a napkin I`m starting to drool a little.

Okay I`m back on to the pics. OMG!!! This thing is awesome. Its way smaller than I thought.
IMG_0712.jpg

IMG_0715.jpg

IMG_0716.jpg

IMG_0717.jpg

IMG_0718.jpg

Its twins. I`m so proud. :wink:
IMG_0721.jpg

Wow. Instructions?! Wonder why you need instructions for a rad. Especially two full pages. Hopefully its nothing important since I cant read whatever language that is.
IMG_0727.jpg

IMG_0726.jpg

On to the cpu block.
IMG_0724.jpg

IMG_0729.jpg

IMG_0730.jpg

Alleluia!!!... Sorry more pics.
IMG_0732.jpg

IMG_0733.jpg

IMG_0737.jpg

IMG_0742.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a quick look at what stage the case is at. I removed the tape and cleaned it up a bit. Still need a lot to do.
IMG_0744.jpg

IMG_0745.jpg

IMG_0746.jpg

As you can see the side panel doesnt sit flush. I figured out why. The res is hitting the edge of the case. All I need to do is file a little of the edge of the res.
IMG_0748.jpg

IMG_0749.jpg

IMG_0750.jpg

Here is where it is hitting.
IMG_0752.jpg

More pics of the case.
IMG_0756.jpg

IMG_0758.jpg

IMG_0759.jpg

Finaaly here is a pic of the buttons that will go on the front. All four of them hopefully.
IMG_0762.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here`s a glimpse of the wire management I`m going to do with this case. I`m going to create sort of a Golden gate bridge look from blue acrylic and wire. There are two versions. One with two acrylic pieces and one. More than likely I will use the two piece version so that I can keep the wires taught by moving the acrylic pieces farther apart. Then I will run the silver braided wire down the side of the duct.
wire_management_sketch1.jpg

wire_management_sketch2.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fixed the side panel. Now it sits reall nice. I had to redrill and realign the four pieces that make up the side panel but it came out nice.
IMG_0773.jpg

Also remember that my dremel burned out at the beginning of this project well I finally got around to sending it to dremel because it was still under warranty. Week and a half later I got it back. Big thanx to dremel for getting it back to me so soon. They even sent me a free accessory bit.
IMG_0785.jpg

IMG_0788.jpg

Also I had sort of a mishap with the mobo backplate i was making. The aluminum I was using was to thin for me to bend. It ended up cracking at the seams. It was also because I scored and filed the bends and that made it crack too. So i decided to just buy a removable mobo plate and mod it for an MATX mobo. Here are pics of it.
IMG_0789.jpg

IMG_0791.jpg

Here are lines showing how much i need to cut down. I will also have to cut down that extra space next to the backplate part.
IMG_0793.jpg

Started cutting with my trusty rotozip. Loud sucker so dont forget ear protection but my new favorite tool.
IMG_0794.jpg

IMG_0795.jpg

Started bending the extra parts so it has something to hold it on to the acrylic. Here you can barely see the score line I made with the dremel to make bending it easier.
IMG_0800.jpg

IMG_0801.jpg

IMG_0802.jpg

IMG_0809.jpg

Added jb weld to the seams to make them stroger since I filed the the bends anyways. Doesnt hurt. Better safe than sorry.
IMG_0810.jpg

Since I have a window on the mobo side and the aluminum tray will be seen; why not dress it up. I won`t tell you what I`m going to do. I`ll leave it as a mystery for now.
IMG_0814.jpg

IMG_0815.jpg

Also had to cut down the mobo tray again. Its a very tight fit between the top of the mobo and the psu. So I had to make some notches to make it sit lower. Here are the new cuts i need to make.
IMG_0818.jpg

Here is another cut I had to make at the bottom of the case so the tray would sit lower. Believe me I barely have two mm to spare.
IMG_0824.jpg

Here is the psu finnally mounted.
IMG_0827.jpg

IMG_0831.jpg

IMG_0842.jpg

IMG_0844.jpg

IMG_0847.jpg

IMG_0850.jpg

Here is another problem I encountered. I was marking out the cut lines for the mobo tray and noticed that I would cut out a lot of the back and this concerned me. The acrylic would have to hold up the psu and this psu is kinda of heavy and the acrylic might break where i cut out the top part. So thanx to DickH he told me why not use cables to hold up the psu. This would go nicely with the cable theme I was going to go with on the inside. Brilliant person I have as a friend.
IMG_0853.jpg

So I`m going to replace the four top screws with longer ones and hook the wire around it. Then I`m going to attach it to screws that hold the top acrylic window.
IMG_0857.jpg

IMG_0856.jpg

After I was over this little hump on the road when on to cutting it out. Can you tell I`m cutting the acrylic? Are you asking yourself how?
IMG_0859.jpg

Tada. Inversed dremel on a plunger with a drill bit.
IMG_0861.jpg

Finally here is how it will fit after I file the edges more.
IMG_0863.jpg

Got another sweet package today that made my day. My second shipment of watercooling gear from germany.
IMG_0865.jpg

IMG_0869.jpg

Also decided to order some extra stuff to sell off just because I know a lot of this stuff is sought after here but shipping costs put people off. I thought this way the shipping can be divided amongst everyone.
I bought three of these mini res made for shuttles. This is acool alternative to T lines. Very nice and comes with a window that bolts on the side.
IMG_0871.jpg

IMG_0877.jpg

Also have three of these clear acrylic tops for the DDC-12V pumps. Very cool things that look awesome with an led.
IMG_0885.jpg

On to the items that were meant for me. The nicely built gpu block. Small but looks awesome.
IMG_0887.jpg

IMG_0890.jpg

IMG_0891.jpg

Then the memory coolers for my ati card. SWEET!! What more can I say?
IMG_0896.jpg

IMG_0894.jpg

IMG_0895.jpg

IMG_0900.jpg

Look for the shuttle reservoirs and acrylic tops for sale later on. I still havent calculated how much I`m going to sell them so please don`t pm me yet asking for a price. I already have two people insterested that have dibs on some of them. So I`ll let everyone know how many I have left over for sale when I post the price.

Started working on the metal plate that will cover the seams. Cutout the bottom metal piece.
IMG_0921.jpg

Then added the blue acrylic top. Got some design ques from the cpu block I`m using.
IMG_0926.jpg

IMG_0927.jpg

IMG_0928.jpg

Also there is this pretty bad scar my case endured when I was cutting it. So I have to find a way to hide it. I decided to copy those metal/acrylic plates that will cover the seams.
IMG_0930.jpg

IMG_0931.jpg

Here is the metal plate in place. I just need to bend it so that it will curve just like the handle. I also need to cutout the blue acrylic peice that goes on top of it. I`m going to add my logo in frost between the two pieces. Should be a subtle thing and look clean.
IMG_0934.jpg

Moved onto the cables that will hold the psu up. Since I didn`t want the back acrylic to bear all the weight. Bought some terminals to add to the ends of the cable so that the cables will use the existing screws that hold the acrylic up.
IMG_0911.jpg

One of the short ones done. I really love the look of these cables. Might make some more for other uses. **Hint** Hint**
IMG_0942.jpg

Here is a shot of the cable that goes across the front and to the screw on the front.
IMG_0944.jpg

IMG_0946.jpg

IMG_0948.jpg

IMG_0949.jpg

Here is how much room I have between the psu and mobo tray. Its a very snug fit. They do touch.
IMG_0952.jpg

Everything in place to check fitment. Still need to cut the hole for the 120mm fan that will go back. It will barely fit.
IMG_0953.jpg

IMG_0954.jpg

Here is a shot with the mobo in place. Barely have enough room. Sometimes I feel lucky because all this was planned out on paper. I didn`t use a 3D program at all and everything seems to be fitting perfectly within a mm of each other. Thank god.
IMG_0959.jpg

IMG_0960.jpg

IMG_0962.jpg

Started working on the cutout for the top fan hole for the duct. I would now like to thank TechDaddy for introducing me to this little circle cutter. Very awesom tool.
IMG_0964.jpg

IMG_0966.jpg

IMG_0967.jpg

IMG_0968.jpg

Started on the back 120mm fan hole. Since this wasnt going to be a complete circle cutout I couldnt use my circle cutter. I had to use my dremel circle cutter.
IMG_0971.jpg

IMG_0972.jpg

IMG_0974.jpg

IMG_0975.jpg

Then I found out that this little piece was in the way of the fan. So it had to go. I`m going to relocate it to the acrylic but a little bit lower.
IMG_0977.jpg

Here it is with everything in place including the other fan hole for the intake fan of the psu.
IMG_0978.jpg

Remember I mentioned these cables.
IMG_0942.jpg

Well see the screws that stick up. What can possibly go there? How bout a fan grill made out of those cables. NICE!!! but it`ll have to wait till next time. Enjoy the rest of the pics.
IMG_0979.jpg

IMG_0980.jpg

IMG_0983.jpg

IMG_0986.jpg

IMG_0987.jpg

IMG_0988.jpg

Small update.
Here is the cable I`m using. I don`t know what it was meant for but it looks like it was meant for hanging something. My sister gave it to me cuz she knows I`ll find a use for everything I come across. :LOL:
IMG_0990.jpg

Moved on to the fan grills. Here is a shot of the blue ring that will be in the middle and in the middle of the ring will be G5 mesh. I have extra laying around.
IMG_0995.jpg

Here is how I made it. That circle cutter I have makes a perfect beveled edge when it is cut out. Saves me a lot of time. I just run it through the sanding wheel to clean up the edge and thats it.
IMG_0997.jpg

Three of them done. Probably will only need two since I wont add a fan grill on the bottom fan.
IMG_1001.jpg

IMG_1004.jpg

Here it is mocked up with the middle mesh. I still need to create the cables to hold all the pieces together.
IMG_1017.jpg

Started polishing the fan. Took a lot of time but I still didnt get a mirror finsh. Still came out better than what it originally looked like.
IMG_1006.jpg

IMG_1007.jpg

IMG_1012.jpg

Then I got one coated of paint on the blades. Still gonna put another coat.
IMG_1008.jpg

Thats it for now. Updates are going to lack a little since I`m creating a new workbench for myself. Wooo Hooo no more working on a dremel box.

Amazing stuff, you have a wonderful way with using whatever's available. After seeing your fan holes I'm about ready to throw my custom fanhole cut case out the window. :D

Keep it up!

compslckr said:
omfg, i need to change my pants... brb

Dito....

Nice work man.. I was curious how you were doing and then you suprise me with fantastic results... you da MAN!

Thanx for the kind words. I'll be sure to keep this worklog updated from now on. Also sent you a pm thermite paste.

dude, this is the most kickass mod i have ever seen...it looks beautiful. I LOVE the reservoir and the the way you sealed up the splits in the case.

Keep it up, cant wait to see the final product.

incomudro said:
Dont you just love those scroll saws. :D

Most definatly. Awesome tool especially the dremel 1800 with that sanding wheel on the side.

Fanatik said:
Most definatly. Awesome tool especially the dremel 1800 with that sanding wheel on the side.
Have you tried cutting in thin aluminum? what blades do you use?Ive only got a cheap ryhobi but it works.

I have cut thin aluminum with it but I found out that my coping saw does a better job. When I use the dremel scroll saw the blade tends to catch on the aluminum and kick it up. You need to keep a firm grip on it. That's why I don't cut metal on it. I even bought metal blades for my scroll saw from amazon. It helped a little but my coping saw is way better.

just a thought not even sure if it is possible but can't u just take off the one handle you scratched/dented or whatever and replace it w/one of the handles on the bottom seeing that no one will be able to see it there? :confused:

o and also i think this is a great mod...always loved the look of the G5

ive followed your many other mods, and this is nothing short of amazing!

i personally wouldve liked to keep as much G5 as possible w/ less plexi, but its just as secksi :D

very excellent work so far! keep up the awesome work!! :cool:

Kid8 said:
just a thought not even sure if it is possible but can't u just take off the one handle you scratched/dented or whatever and replace it w/one of the handles on the bottom seeing that no one will be able to see it there? :confused:

o and also i think this is a great mod...always loved the look of the G5

Cool thanx for the suggestion. I never thought of that but when I looked on the bottom handles they have these small squares to keep it off the floor not including it is all scratched up since I didn't put any painters tape on there to protect the finish when modding the case. Oh well. Thanx anyways.

Pics of my new workbench and a glimpse of how the fan grill is turning out. Still didnt finish. I ran out of terminals. I`ll pick up some more and finish it.
IMG_1021.jpg

IMG_1024.jpg

IMG_1033.jpg

I like how your mod is turning out, but you having access to such an excellent workbench with myself lacking anything resembling it makes me want to dislike you :D

Are those cables making the grill suspend in midair? Are the fans going to mounted justto the fan grill.. if so........... SWEEEET!

Yes the cables are holding up the blue ring and mesh in the middle but when I was finishing the cables and installing the fan, I decided not to put that middles mesh in there. You'll see why in a little bit when I post pics. It looks way better without it. Actually the fans are being held up by the blue plexi and screws. The fan grill really isn't suspending the fan but the blue ring is being suspended.

Got the fan all shiny and painted silver.
IMG_1035.jpg

IMG_1038.jpg

IMG_1040.jpg

Then I got the top grill finish but then I noticed that it looked way better without the middle mesh in it. Without it you can see that shiny circle of the fan.
IMG_1041.jpg

IMG_1045.jpg

IMG_1046.jpg

Then started a new idea for the metal plate that will hide the imperfections on the top handle.
IMG_0930.jpg

I changed it from the idea of having the aluminum plate with a blue acrylic peice on top of it. It adds too much thickness to the handle with the metal plate and the acrylic. So now I will have this aluminum piece that is all shined up with my logo cut out.
IMG_1051.jpg

I`m going to glue this piece of paper to it as a template and use my coping saw to cut out the logo. Then i will drill four holes on the corner to hold it in plate to the handle. Since I didnt have any spray adhesive with me I had to stop there. Thats the wrong logo but you get the idea.
IMG_1052.jpg

But I did get the back grill finished before I left. Sorry for the bad pic. It was dark and I couldnt keep my hand steady.
IMG_1064.jpg

Started working on the metal plate today. Since I had my spray adhesive and the right logo printed out. I printed it out in three sizes to pick the best one that would fit and look good. Went with the middle one.
IMG_1083.jpg

My super 77 to sticky the paper to the metal
IMG_1085.jpg

IMG_1086.jpg

Drilled holes so I have somewhere to run my blade through.
IMG_1088.jpg

Started cutting out the lettters.
IMG_1093.jpg

Half way there
IMG_1096.jpg

Done. Just need to clean the glue off.
IMG_1100.jpg

Then I fitted on the handle to see where to drill the holes and how much to shorten the plate.
IMG_1104.jpg

Beauty shot of the plate.
IMG_1106.jpg

IMG_1107.jpg

After the holes where drilled on the metal plate i used a clamp hold it in place while i drilled the holes on the handle and then I tapped them. Still didnt finish.
IMG_1112.jpg

IMG_1114.jpg

IMG_1115.jpg

IMG_1118.jpg

IMG_1121.jpg

IMG_1123.jpg

IMG_1124.jpg

damn, I need to get off my ass and get to lowes and pick up one of those saws. that is kick ass

Randolf said:
damn, I need to get off my ass and get to lowes and pick up one of those saws. that is kick ass

Wow, yeah, I didn't know you could saw out letters like that by hand. It looks fabulous.

Did you clamp down the metal while sawing? Also, exactly what kind of saw is that?

Yea I'm getting a lot of questions about exactly what saw I used. Its a coping saw or jewelers saw. I used a very fine blade for it and then went back with small needle files to straighten the edges and to make the corners square. Its this tool right here.
IMG_0662.jpg

When cutting the letters out I didn't clamp it. I just put it against the edge of my table and held it with my hand. If you clamp it it makes it hard because you want to be able to move the metal around to cut.

That is a coping saw that he's using, looks like a diamond particle blade in it. Be warned that while this type of saw is capable of the extremely detailed cuts you see in the worklog, it takes patience and perseverence to achieve such good results. Clamping your metal down is mandatory so that you can concentrate on cutting, and not holding your metal. This is awesome work, probably a lot of filing involved cleaning up the corners and rounds to get the edges nice and true. I am really looking forward to seeing the finished effort.

Thanx themark for making me look like a master of this tool :D but I'm not. I just have a lot of patience in detail to make it look good as I can. It was mainly a lot of work with the files to make the letters straight that made it look good. Also I didn't clamp the metal down. To me the clamp just gets in the way when sawing. I'm always moving the metal to get the cuts and keep the saw facing the same way. Works out better for me but you will get cramps in you hand if you do this too long cuz you need to hold the metal firmly against the table.

Astounding mod, kudos. Can't wait to see it completed :D

The cut out logo... really, really over the top.

Back