Monarchcomputer using customers money as a float, anyone have recent experince

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now there is a class action suit going against them that was on their forum for about 1 minute before it was pulled, quoted below. Posting in case any involved want to join it:

"ClassAction Lawsuit
Does Monarch have your money and not providing what you paid for? Anyone that has money being held by Monarch or has been damaged since 9/1/06 can join a class action lawsuit to punish them for their abuse and borderline fraud. email "[email protected]". Looking only for customers that have been ignored through emails and phone calls while Monarch tries to keep as much cash in their accounts through their due diligence. This is abuse and borderline fraud and they need to be punished accordingly by some attorneys."

I want to let everyone know that they need to keep an eye on whatever credit card accounts they have used with monarch.

Here's why:

I've ordered from them 2 times, the first around feb of this year, the second around july. The first shipment came fast, the second was slow shipping, but since i was not in a hurry, I forgave them. Then about 2 months ago, (late august) I was checking my checking account online, and I noticed a $500 charge from Monarch made about a week before I was going over the account. (I used my debit card for monarch purchases). I was going WTF!? and was about to go ballistic since of course I had not bought anything from them for almost 2 months at that time. A quick check showed no other unusual charges so I didn't think i had an ID theft problem. I awoke the next morning to call and scream bloody murder, before the call completed I noticed that the $500 charge had been credited back to my account that day. Monarch didn't just delay a refund, they made a completely unautherized charge on my account. So they basically "borrowed" $500 of my money for 6 days.

This may have just been an "honest" mistake unrelated to the floating issue. But what really disturbs me is that I feel that making an unauthorized charge is more serious then a refund delay, and that fact that it was essentially an immediate withdrawl of my cash from my checking account, instead of a credit charge, it could have put me in a really bad spot like bouncing checks. Luckly that didn't happen, but still....on that a vowed not to use Monarch again. :eek:

Look

Ok, everyone may know me here as being a big Monarch guy. I've always said I've had no problems and ordered tens of thousands of dollars worth of stuff over the years from them, all without any problems. Its true. Except, on my most recent order, I'm having a problem. I ordered a CPU/Mobo/Memory combo for work ONE MONTH AGO and it still hasn't arrived. I called them, emailed them, etc. They moved it "to the warehouse for processing", yet nothing has been done about it. My boss at work is going nuts lol. He's like "WHERE THE HELLLLLLLLLLL IS MY MOTHERBOARD?!?!?!" :D :p I've been calling and emailing them the past 3 weeks, and so far, no progress.

After all my YEARS of Monarch ordering, they finally did me wrong, and I will not be ordering from them any further. I can't get them to ship this motherboard combo if their life depended on it. Well, it looks like that's what I'll be doing all day today at work. I'll be calling Monarch phone support and waiting on hold for 5 hours for nobody to pick up. Its basically like all the Monarch employees disappeared off the face of the planet and nobody is working there. I've seen 2 person run businesses recieving dozens upon dozens of orders per week ship out items faster than them. It honestly isn't that hard. There is something seriously wrong going on with Monarch. They never used to be like this. I will take this as far as it needs to go to get my CPU/Mobo/Memory combo.

w1retap said:
Look

Ok, everyone may know me here as being a big Monarch guy. I've always said I've had no problems and ordered tens of thousands of dollars worth of stuff over the years from them, all without any problems. Its true. Except, on my most recent order, I'm having a problem. I ordered a CPU/Mobo/Memory combo for work ONE MONTH AGO and it still hasn't arrived. I called them, emailed them, etc. They moved it "to the warehouse for processing", yet nothing has been done about it. My boss at work is going nuts lol. He's like "WHERE THE HELLLLLLLLLLL IS MY MOTHERBOARD?!?!?!" :D :p I've been calling and emailing them the past 3 weeks, and so far, no progress.

After all my YEARS of Monarch ordering, they finally did me wrong, and I will not be ordering from them any further. I can't get them to ship this motherboard combo if their life depended on it. Well, it looks like that's what I'll be doing all day today at work. I'll be calling Monarch phone support and waiting on hold for 5 hours for nobody to pick up. Its basically like all the Monarch employees disappeared off the face of the planet and nobody is working there. I've seen 2 person run businesses recieving dozens upon dozens of orders per week ship out items faster than them. It honestly isn't that hard. There is something seriously wrong going on with Monarch. They never used to be like this. I will take this as far as it needs to go to get my CPU/Mobo/Memory combo.
same position here. i recommended them for a year and no more.

Crap. Let's not start with big annoying flashy colors, ok? The moment we start doing a lot of that, this thread is degraded to a quality level not suited to this forum.

That said, w1retap, if it's really your boss and they are truly being so useless, cancel it and order the board from somewhere else. I'd say Newegg, but, ZipZoomFly or anywhere else you like would do, just so long as you actually get what you need. I admit that when I say cancel it, I'm talking about adding a lot of trouble since, as this very thread will tell you, people are having serious troubles getting their money back from cancellations or returns but it's better to risk paying it out of your own pocket than it taking way too long to arrive or never arriving at all if we're really talking about your boss here (though honestly I'd feel bad making anyone I was building a system for wait so long when they expected their system sooner.) That's my personal opinion anyway, and after this long of no progress I would have already done this. I guess it's getting a bit beyond the subject of the thread, so I'll be quiet about it now, just saying for your benefit is all.

I noted my issues with Monarch on page 6 already but I wanted to let everyone know after 8 days waiting for my item and then deciding it was not worth the trouble, I called my CC and disputed. Call took 5-10 minutes roughly and the within 3 business days, it was charged back. Don't waste your time calling Monarch back, go straight to your CC and more than likely, it should be taken care of.

Nazo said:
Crap. Let's not start with big annoying flashy colors, ok? The moment we start doing a lot of that, this thread is degraded to a quality level not suited to this forum.

That said, w1retap, if it's really your boss and they are truly being so useless, cancel it and order the board from somewhere else. I'd say Newegg, but, ZipZoomFly or anywhere else you like would do, just so long as you actually get what you need. I admit that when I say cancel it, I'm talking about adding a lot of trouble since, as this very thread will tell you, people are having serious troubles getting their money back from cancellations or returns but it's better to risk paying it out of your own pocket than it taking way too long to arrive or never arriving at all if we're really talking about your boss here (though honestly I'd feel bad making anyone I was building a system for wait so long when they expected their system sooner.) That's my personal opinion anyway, and after this long of no progress I would have already done this. I guess it's getting a bit beyond the subject of the thread, so I'll be quiet about it now, just saying for your benefit is all.
I wish it was as simple as you say. We paid with a certified check, and it has already been cashed. I cannot get a hold of them to get the money back. They won't answer the phone, or won't answer email. I just called again 5 minutes ago, and it says they are closed, although this is supposed to be their hours of operation. We can't 'waste' more money without guaranteeing that we will get the first $550 back. Our budget isn't big enough to just go out and spend a grand here and there to hope to get the money back from the first transaction.

edit: Also, I posted the 'look' in the same color as intellitxt. ;) :p It shouldn't jump out at you any more than when you accidentally mouseover 8 bajillion hotlink popups as you scroll down the page.

As I was the Harbinger that Identified these issues upon Anandtech and other forum's I can tell everyone here that while my Campaign to get the word out was met with shill action, and obvious hostility from the usual malcontents....

Monarch Computer became totally disfunctional today, as no Phones were being answered, and even Tech Support was Dead.

We can only hope that the New Ownership is better aligned with their customers. They are at the bottom of a huge sand pit...

It was sad to watch Richard "Trey" Harris run the place into the dirt...

I was trying to warn the Buying Public.... that this was not flying straight..... Even Forum Moderators were wondering what my Agenda was.... I stuck to my Guns.... and it now appears that Kate Smith is stepping up to the Microphone as we speak.....

G'Night Ladies and Germ's

R.I.P. Monarch Computer

If it Isn't Broke, Leave It Alone !!

Mr. Fox

ugh, I am one of those on the hook for 500+ dollars, part in credit from an RMA and part in goods. I just got an email the other day that my stuff was about to be shipped and my credit card would be credited the balance. As of today I have neither my stuff or my other money back. I was thinking that I was just about to get clear of this whole mess and now it seems that is not going to happen. I guess if I can't get anyone on the phone, I will have to start the dispute process. Better to cut my losses now, I guess.

Rhinohelix said:
ugh, I am one of those on the hook for 500+ dollars, part in credit from an RMA and part in goods. I just got an email the other day that my stuff was about to be shipped and my credit card would be credited the balance. As of today I have neither my stuff or my other money back. I was thinking that I was just about to get clear of this whole mess and now it seems that is not going to happen. I guess if I can't get anyone on the phone, I will have to start the dispute process. Better to cut my losses now, I guess.
same exact thing happened to me...

"oh they might actually send me the money"

a month later

"im an idiot *calls CC company*"

I'm seven days short of two months, but yesterday I got a shipping notification for my card reader. :p RMAed it.

Mr Fox said:
As I was the Harbinger that Identified these issues upon Anandtech and other forum's I can tell everyone here that while my Campaign to get the word out was met with shill action, and obvious hostility from the usual malcontents....

Monarch Computer became totally disfunctional today, as no Phones were being answered, and even Tech Support was Dead.

We can only hope that the New Ownership is better aligned with their customers. They are at the bottom of a huge sand pit...

It was sad to watch Richard "Trey" Harris run the place into the dirt...

I was trying to warn the Buying Public.... that this was not flying straight..... Even Forum Moderators were wondering what my Agenda was.... I stuck to my Guns.... and it now appears that Kate Smith is stepping up to the Microphone as we speak.....

G'Night Ladies and Germ's

R.I.P. Monarch Computer

If it Isn't Broke, Leave It Alone !!

Mr. Fox

Not only was there heat from other forum memebers, but there was also pressure from Monarch on forum admins/owners to squelch any posts even remotely talking bad about them...even if it was a legitimate gripe.

I finally got my Money back ($586.67) after about 4-5 months i dont even remember. No Thanx to monarch, American Express gave me the credit! AMEX FTW! :cool:

I ordered once from Monarch and they screwed me.

I had to file a dispute claim with my CC - i got the money back but I don't approve of their business practicies.

Basically what happened is that they charged my CC for an item that they didn't even have in stock even though their website didn't mention anything about it being out of stock.

What kind of BS is that??

For one, if an item is out of stock , it should say "OUT OF STOCK" on the website.
I also understand that $hit happens and sometimes the web is not in sync with inventories and sometimes it happens. But if it does, don't charge the customers CC !! Just send a polite email explaining the mistake. If they had done that, i would have understood and ordered someplace else. But to charge a CC when you dont have the item to begin with is rediculous !!!

Talked with someone today, and while they can't comment on anything "officially," they have heard that monarch has a good bit of debt lingering with some of the national distributors. While I can't prove it, he is someone that would actually know that information.

I kind of worked it into a conversation today, and he said, yeah "that's the rumor" nudge, nudge..wink, wink.

So what I am trying to convey here is if you have anything outstanding with monarch, dispute it now, because if the big, big guys aren't getting paid, you won't either.

My experience

10/19 - Placed order for motherboard
10/19 - Paid via Paypal
10/23 - Sent to warehouse for shipping
10/26 - Sent order status e-mail
10/31 - No reply yet, called 1-800 #, "not in stock until...", canceled order

Nov - Sent multiple emails about refunding to my Paypal account, have never received an email reply from them! No hurry so didn't bother calling...

12/1 - Called 1-800 #, message said they were closed during operating hours. Officially spooked so I immediately opened a dispute on Paypal
12/4 - Refund received!!

Not the worst experience, I got my money back! Of course I will NEVER order from them again after this. Funny thing is that I never would have ordered from them, but I had money in my Paypal account from an auction and newegg doesn't accept Paypal anymore... Guess I should have transfered my funds instead!

Thanks for nothing Monarch!

Coolwave

Coolwave said:
My experience

10/19 - Placed order for motherboard
10/19 - Paid via Paypal
10/23 - Sent to warehouse for shipping
10/26 - Sent order status e-mail
10/31 - No reply yet, called 1-800 #, "not in stock until...", canceled order

Nov - Sent multiple emails about refunding to my Paypal account, have never received an email reply from them! No hurry so didn't bother calling...

12/1 - Called 1-800 #, message said they were closed during operating hours. Officially spooked so I immediately opened a dispute on Paypal
12/4 - Refund received!!

Not the worst experience, I got my money back! Of course I will NEVER order from them again after this. Funny thing is that I never would have ordered from them, but I had money in my Paypal account from an auction and newegg doesn't accept Paypal anymore... Guess I should have transfered my funds instead!

Thanks for nothing Monarch!

Coolwave

Just as a side note, I think Newegg is taking PayPal again. They just had a promotion where they would give you free shipping if you paid with PayPal, so I don't think my assumption is illogical.

Let's not derail it, though.

I used to recommend Monarch and compliment them when I saw someone slamming them because my experiences have always been positive. Not to mention it is in their ToS that they will take a length of time for refunds to get back to the person who ordered if something gets cancelled. However, I was even on their side when "Mr. Fox" first posted his information at Anandtech. After reading through all of these and all of the stuff on resellerratings.com, I can see that my convictions were in err. Sorry to anyone who ordered from Monarch based on something I posted--all I can say now is don't do it again!

General Crespin said:
It looks like they are now moderating all posts on their forum.

I don't think people have been able to post over there without having the posts immediately deleted for awhile now.

You have a comment. Deleted.

You have a question about a RMA. Deleted.

You have a question about a refund. Deleted.

You have a question about a potential purchase...eventually its answered.

Geez, why don't they just disable the forums then. They'd tick people off a lot less that way (especially if they put up a message lying about the reason the forum is down -- like say database errors or something.) As it is, they're just compounding their problem even further with stuff like this. Now many of their current customers feel like they can't even ask a question without being censured when in many cases even the simplest of answers would be enough to make a few of those customers stay.

If anyone else was doing this, I'd jokingly say "well, clearly they just don't need any money." That joke doesn't hold up so well in reference to a company that's going straight down the toilet.

Well things just keep getting worse and worse for monarch and who ever deals with them.

I checked out the RR forums again today and there are numerous allegations of Monarch selling ES CPUs, MB's and Video cards when people thought they were getting retail or warranted items. One poster reported receiving a nVidia reference card when he claims he purchased an eVGA card with his combo. I think the Monarch rep that kept posting there with his mind boggling posts has given up and no longer posts, sad to see him go, he added so much fuel to the bonfire. Can you all believe this stuff? WTF is up with Monarch?

C.Norris said:
Well things just keep getting worse and worse for monarch and who ever deals with them.

I checked out the RR forums again today and there are numerous allegations of Monarch selling ES CPUs, MB's and Video cards when people thought they were getting retail or warranted items. One poster reported receiving a nVidia reference card when he claims he purchased an eVGA card with his combo. I think the Monarch rep that kept posting there with his mind boggling posts has given up and no longer posts, sad to see him go, he added so much fuel to the bonfire. Can you all believe this stuff? WTF is up with Monarch?
i honestly dont want to know.

hardwarephreak said:
Any update on this?
Looks like I'm screwed.

The CC company said they couldn't help us, upper management wont answer/return my calls. No emails have been returned. Nothing.

I'm fucked out of $550.

if you paid by CC and you don't have the goods, how can they not give you the $$$ back? I'd cancel that card for sure!

thats not what happened. I RMAed a few things for $500 and they said i could pay the price and theyd refund it when they get the fault hardware. I didnt get the refund though.

it happened late august.

rpjones68 said:
if you paid by CC and you don't have the goods, how can they not give you the $$$ back? I'd cancel that card for sure!
yea... canceling a credit card with money still on it isn't good for your credit score.. you have to pay it.

I was told today that Monarch was on the verge of bankruptcy. I have heard this from two industry insiders. It is still an unconfirmed rumor and I would treat it as such, but you better get your business done with them quickly if you have something outstanding.

jcll2002 said:
Looks like I'm screwed.

The CC company said they couldn't help us, upper management wont answer/return my calls. No emails have been returned. Nothing.

I'm fucked out of $550.

That's rough that your CC company isn't of any help. I'm surprised at this though.

Also, is there something I'm missing here that's preventing this from being considered theft? Is their RMA disclaimer something like, you can send stuff back, and we'll never refund you for it?

I just finished a very negative experience with Monarch.

Back a few years ago I bought some corsair ram from them and it was awesome! I even needed to rma it 1 year later and BAM I had the new piece within 2 days.

Fast forward to November 2nd of this year. I order an Opteron 165 from then before I caught up with all this bad news. Well I was not about to play Russian roulette with my money so I canceled the order the very next day.

I promptly called my CC to have them doubly cancel the order. Well my order got conceled sure enough before my CC was charged and LO AND BEHOLD 2 days later I get charged from them.

Their refund policy states that refunds MAY take up to 30 days to be processed. By the way I read somewhere this is like the maximum allowed by law or some crap I dunno.

So basically when I called them up and asked where my money was I got a big STFU in polite terms from them.

30 days later (Dec. 6th) NO REFUND! I call my CC and they eat the charge and refund me my money.

Sorry but this is the end for Monarch. At this point there is nothing that can save them.
I am done with them and everyone else would be smart to stay away.

I don't care how good a deal something is. If you never get the item (Read: correct Manufact. etc) if you get it at all, then you got ripped off.

E T H I C S.

Or lack there of is what floors me about these guys. It's not like we haven't heard from them in awhile, someone from monarch was just on ResellerRatings in the past 10 days.
But the whole time, they are saying that EVERYONE is making baseless accusations. That everything is just fine at Monarch, and that all the items in their clearance section are "ready to ship".

jcll2002 said:
Looks like I'm screwed.

I'm fucked out of $550.
is there anything reasonable i can do?

The Gonz said:
Sorry but this is the end for Monarch. At this point there is nothing that can save them.
I am done with them and everyone else would be smart to stay away.
Nope, the only way for them to make it after all this negative publicity & possible bankruptcy would to be to go ahead and close up shop now, then re-organize later under a different name and (hopefully) offer better customer service. I'll never forget how I was treated by them..

Oh, and Kyle, we all thank you for terminating Monarch as a sponsor before things started getting worse. You saved a bunch of people from having these problems, and for that you guys kick ass ;)

saturnine2 said:
Nope, the only way for them to make it after all this negative publicity & possible bankruptcy would to be to go ahead and close up shop now, then re-organize later under a different name and (hopefully) offer better customer service. I'll never forget how I was treated by them..

Oh, and Kyle, we all thank you for terminating Monarch as a sponsor before things started getting worse. You saved a bunch of people from having these problems, and for that you guys kick ass ;)
yeah i got fuxored though :(. $600 down the drain. gone.

jcll2002 said:
yeah i got fuxored though :(. $600 down the drain. gone.
Keep calling! Call every few hours, send tons of Emails (no mail bomb though ;)). Do everything you can to annoy them till you get your money back. That's what I had to do.

saturnine2 said:
Keep calling! Call every few hours, send tons of Emails (no mail bomb though ;)). Do everything you can to annoy them till you get your money back. That's what I had to do.
i have! called maybe 15 times and i have no idea how many emails

Anybody know anyone in the Atlanta area? I am a solid 5 hours away, so it wouldn't be just quick trip for me, but maybe you could find a forum member in the area to take a trip by there to get some questions answered for you. Not if they are going to be an a$$ though because that will get you nowhere. Maybe you could throw whoever some money for gas, beer, and some dinner, and in return they could stop by and try to get it straightened out. He could call you when he go there, and then hand the phone to whatever is working there.

hardwarephreak said:
Anybody know anyone in the Atlanta area? I am a solid 5 hours away, so it wouldn't be just quick trip for me, but maybe you could find a forum member in the area to take a trip by there to get some questions answered for you. Not if they are going to be an a$$ though because that will get you nowhere. Maybe you could throw whoever some money for gas, beer, and some dinner, and in return they could stop by and try to get it straightened out. He could call you when he go there, and then hand the phone to whatever is working there.
they would probably just throw you out of the store...

Well if someone lives in the area it probably wouldn't be too much trouble for them to stop by. And if they are well spoken and polite, they might actually get a foot in the door long enough for them to put you through to them. Something like, "I am acutally here for a friend, it woould probably be best if he asks you himself because I don't know all the details." Then he calls you on his cellphone and sticks his cellphone with the Monarch troll.

Kyle I was thinking of something that might be a great idea and public service for [H]ard OCP to do.

We all know the kind of pull this site has when it comes to evaluating the system buying experience. When you guys find an area lacking with a company and make note of it, they hear it and often times make changes.

Well rather then only do it for systems why not make an article scoring the customer experience of various tech selling sites. As techies we all know the avenues to explore and such but newcomers may find great value in an article such as this going into detail about how smooth or rocky one company is compared to another as well as how easy it may be to RMA a broken item. Along with other areas of the tech buying experience.

This may be a great time to highlight potential champions of tech shopping and expose the underbelly of some more "tasteless" companies.

Far be it from me to suggest including Monarch computer systems in such an article but if they were to make an appearance many people would be informed for the better of their lacking customer support and shall I say... honesty?

Just my humble $.02

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back