My pictures of the Cooler Master 690 (the new $50 uber-case!)

n39708940_31730773_9062.jpg

n39708940_31730775_9583.jpg

n39708940_31730776_9849.jpg

n39708940_31730777_102.jpg

n39708940_31730778_362.jpg

I found 3 fans located at the top of the case cools better than a fan occupying every fan slot. Do you guys notice a loud whirring sound from fans placed directly on the panel? That is one of the reasons I made the duct out of two gutted fans. I also wanted to cool the northbridge better.

PsychoPilot said:
Who needs a gigantic cooler with temperatures like these? Do you guys notice a loud whirring sound from fans placed directly on the panel? That is one of the reasons I made the duct out of two gutted fans. The other reason is I wanted to cool the northbridge better.

When I had a fan on mine, I did noticed it whined for some odd reason. I ended up taking it off because it wouldn't fit with my 8800GTX and HR03+.

Ah, then it seems to be a design flaw that no one wants to admit they noticed. It only happens when the fan is right up against the side panel.

Got one of these today and saw this thread so heres a pic...

pc050012largeln3.jpg

And a pic of my desk...

pc050010largeoa8.jpg

Yeah yeah give me "the messiest CM 690 award" :p I don't have the patience or time to arrange the cables as nice as you guys do...

Ah, then it seems to be a design flaw that no one wants to admit they noticed. It only happens when the fan is right up against the side panel.

I noticed this too. I loosened all 4 screws so that the fan had a little space to breathe and it stopped making the noise. Note that I swapped the side panel fan for a Scythe S-Flex medium speed, and I run it at 7v.

I ordered my case a few a days ago and should receive it soon. I have some questions regarding the stock fans: are they good, are they enough and whats the best 3 fan placement set up i should go with? I don't really want to order any more fans if I don't have to. :(

First, thanks to all who have posting your nice inspiring pictures and experiences with this case!

I couldn't pass up on ZZF's last week's offering of $9.99 AR + tax & shipping for this case.

My setup is an AMD xp2600 @ 2k with Zalman 7000 @ 1500rpm, ati x800xt with an Artic-Cooling Silencer4, 4 hard drives, and Seasonic S12-500w. Sorry, no pictures for now (camera busted).

I'm running the two stock fans @ 12V (Front/Rear) and left the Top/Bottom open. For the side panel, I took off the fan and taped a mouse pad over both holes to help quite/dampen things down and limit the air flow to go from the front/bottom to top/rear.

My avg case/cpu temps is 26/42 degrees. So far, I like low noise level & temp with the two stock fans (until I upgrade to dual/quad core)!

I ordered my case a few a days ago and should receive it soon. I have some questions regarding the stock fans: are they good, are they enough and whats the best 3 fan placement set up i should go with? I don't really want to order any more fans if I don't have to. :(

Hey Pipo,
I found using only 3 fans mounted at the top and back cooled the best and kept the cpu right at room temperature. I think that having more exhaust fans than intake fans directs the airflow better and prevents dead spots. The duct I made was only to keep the northbridge cooler but it was well within range anyway.

Here are some pics of my watercooled rig in the CM 690. I wanted a cheap case that could fit everything for watercooling without too many modifications. I also didn't want a window. This case met all my requirements. It's great!

In this first pic you can barely see the Black Ice Pro II rad mounted inside to the top of the case. The rad is 25mm tall. I think you would be hard pressed to fit anything bigger without some serious modifications. As you move down I have a Swiftech Apogee GT, and micro res mounted above the PSU. I cut one of the mounting brackets on the res above the hose barb so I could fit the side panel on with a 120mm fan blowing over the video/chipset. Finally mounted to the bottom fan grill is a Swiftech MCP655 Pump. With the pump mounted like this I can access the speed control from the other side.

The second pic is of the top of the case. There is two 140x20mm Aerocool Silver Lightning fans installed inside the plastic top under the mesh. I took off the metal mesh and cut the plastic top to fit them. I would have prefered fans with no LEDs but couldn't find any that are 20mm tall (25mm won't fit under the mesh). With the rad and fans mounted fitting the top is tight.

Here is the other side. Ignore the blue and yellow network cables on the bottom right. The fan is an Evercool 80x15mm. I dremeled out the back of the screw holes on the fan so it could fit in the mounting bracket.

The PC is an AMD 5200, Abit A9N 32X, 2GB OCZ Platinum Rev 2 DDR2 800MHz, 2 x WD 320gb in raid 0, and CoolerMaster 650 PSU. I sleeved the power supply. The videocards are 2 x 6600gt with Kingwin heatsinks. I removed all the stock fans and went with higher rpm fans at lower voltages. The 140mm top fans, and rear 120mm are pulling air out of the case. I have one front 120mm fan pushing air over the HDs. I cut out the plastic gridding on the front panel for this fan. The side 120mm and 80mm fan are pushing air in over the video/chipset and mobo.

I haven't had time to overclock yet so for now it runs at stock speeds. I will be upgrading the video cards in the new year. I will Probably get a 8800gt.

I have been looking for a new case...after reading this thread I ordered a 690 from Zipzoomfly...$19.99 after rebates is a no brainer for me.

Anyhow, I have never really been very good and making things look nice and clean but this time using some of the pictures ive seen in this thread I will do better :)

I am also not very good at figuring out proper ventilation...I will have enough fans to fill all the slots just not sure which to use as intakes and which as exhaust.

I am also not very good at figuring out proper ventilation...I will have enough fans to fill all the slots just not sure which to use as intakes and which as exhaust.

Im in the same boat, somone should mspaint their pic with "fan-lines" lol :D

I bought this case to build my mom a PC but after having some issues with it, Dude she's gettin' a Dell.

I'm seriously debating switching the guts of my CM Stacker ST-01 into the RC690 cause the black and the mesh is so sexy.

good idea or bad idea?

With the case having 7 spots or something for fans whats the best placement for which blowing in or blowing out?

hey guys,
wheres the cheapest place to get 140mm fans for this puppy?

also, where can i get find a 80mm fan small enough to put behind the mobo?

Read what I said above, but keep in mind that your results will vary based on your heatsink. You should have more exhaust fans than intake fans.

Here is mine. It got here today but i'm having problems with the headphone jack. If I install the HD plug I can't hear anything , if i install the ac plug I could only hear the left earphone :( other than that it's a sick case. I have a supremefx 2 that came with my maximus .

cm6901.jpg

cm690.jpg

cm6902.jpg

IMG_2501.jpg

I also got some new stuff

toughpower.jpg

Modular !!!

toughpowermodular.jpg

I was really surprised on the size. It's pretty damn big. This is probably the best buy I have gotten in a while other than my Q6600 for 170$ and my Tracers for 20$ . I'm a straight hustler :p thats slang for cheapo :p the deal is over btw :(

startin1ci3.jpg

The new case and the Gateway that the guts are coming from

gateway1so7.jpg

The Gateway was actually pretty neatly done...

startinxt0.jpg

The starting block...

finished2bz3.jpg

before fan mounting...

finished1ei4.jpg

finished4gw2.jpg

Finished...

I've had this case awhile now, and I really like it for the price point; but I can tell you, it's not quite; it's sitting next to a TJ09, for comparison.

When I turn off the 690, it gets so quite; the case just has so many openings/mesh that it lets the noise out, but also, the heat out or cold air in.

It is quiet if you have pwm fans that throttle down to 450 rpm during general use. The only thing in my case that makes noise is the Corsair VX550W PSU fan. Though every now the case hums because one of my HDDs was dented in shipping and vibrates more than the other. Newegg didn't package it well.

450 is a pretty low rpm. I run most of my fans straight to 12v (can't run-em all off the motherboard; other wise, speed fan would help. I may have to get another fan controller;

It is loud with the five 120mm fans running. But I've got a Q6600 running at 3+ GHz, and an 8800 GTS at 675/2016 on air only and the 6600 is running in the high 30s at idle and the 8800 is in the high 50s, which is pretty good for Air.

I'm installing the 5 1/4 inch bay Silverstone fan controller as soon as I finish this post so I can take the rpms down when we sleep as the comp is a few feet away from our bed.

Why control them manually when the motherboard can decide the perfect speed according to processor temperature? My Arctic Cooling fans are running a silent ~450 rpm right now because thats all thats needed. But when running prime95 they spin up to ~1200rpm. Its so much more user friendly. You won't have to teach anyone how to use your computer and there isn't the risk of damaging your cpu from forgetting to adjust the fans. Each AF12025PWM fan has a male and female connector so you can connect them in series for up to 5 fans running off the cpu_fan connector.

I'll only be controlling the 2 door fans and the top fan with the controller, plus it looks tight...

it actually looks better than this pic shows, stupid flash.

1003301au0.jpg

Read what I said above, but keep in mind that your results will vary based on your heatsink. You should have more exhaust fans than intake fans.
The consensus, from what I remember, is the opposite. More intake than exhaust, to make positive pressure, and cut down on the dust factor.

However, I run the bottom and the front as intakes, and the rest as exhaust (2 CoolDrive6s also on intake duty - controlling 5 other fans, nothing on the door).

Killer case. I have used the centurion in about 6 builds for other people and have always been pleased with what they give for the cash. Looks like i have a new budget case to use from now on.

those who got it at ZZF how did you mail out your rebate? I didn't get receipt and don't know what to send it off with .

The consensus, from what I remember, is the opposite. More intake than exhaust, to make positive pressure, and cut down on the dust factor.

However, I run the bottom and the front as intakes, and the rest as exhaust (2 CoolDrive6s also on intake duty - controlling 5 other fans, nothing on the door).

If you have more air going in than going out, the hot air can be recirulated around the case before it finds its way out. If you have only the top three fans pulling the air through the case there is only one direction for it to flow because there is no bottleneck. Ive tried both configurations with the 690 and 3 fans at the top resulted in 5C cooler core temps than having a fan occupying every slot. Im not to worried about dust. My computer is up high and I vacuum a lot so dust doesn't accumulate much at all.

That looks very nice MurphysLaww but my neck hurts from tilting my head to admire your wire management. Is your freezer 7 blowing air down?

Is the space for the exhaust fan below the moterboard big enough for a normal width 80mm fan or does it need to be thin?

-Rogan

If you have more air going in than going out, the hot air can be recirulated around the case before it finds its way out. If you have only the top three fans pulling the air through the case there is only one direction for it to flow because there is no bottleneck. Ive tried both configurations with the 690 and 3 fans at the top resulted in 5C cooler core temps than having a fan occupying every slot. Im not to worried about dust. My computer is up high and I vacuum a lot so dust doesn't accumulate much at all.

I am still waiting on my 690 to arrive sometime this week. I am trying to plan ahead for fan placement. I should have enough fans lying around the house to be able to fit all 7 slots if need be.

I doubt I will need all 7 but when you say only use the 3 on top...are you talking about the 2 at the top of the case and the one at the top back? are they all set to be exhaust? no fans pulling air in? forgive my noobish questions :)

Also, I have a PC Power Silencer 750 Quad power supply. Anyone know of any issues with this fitting into the case and/or issues with the length of cables?

The rest of the system that will be put into this case is:

-Asus A8N SLI Premium MB
-Corsair 2gb DDR (2x1gb )
-eVGA 8800 GTX
-150gb Raptor, 74gb Raptor
-Soundblaster X-Fi

Really would appreciate any advice for how I should first setup my fans...I do not overclock and I would like to go with a minimal fans as possible.

Off the top of my head I am thinking:
-Front intake
-Back exhaust
-Top exhaust x 2
-One intake fan on the side door...not sure which slot yet...probably the upper one.

Are the fan slots at the bottom and behind the MB really that useful?

Thanks,

I just put a Silencer 750 in the 690; it's tight, but it fits; you could still put a 120 or 140 fan in at the bottom, but it's tight; I moved my 140 from the bottom to the top, to make room for loose, unneeded cables. Cable management is ok, but there is some extra cables laying on the bottom, tied up. My top fans are one in, and one out (the top-back). This config. worked good w/ the TJ09, so I'm trying it on the 690; one side fan out (to cut down on it's noise), and the rest standard.

e2160 @ 3.0 Ghz low 30s idle, never gets above 55c loaded, lapping made an incredible difference over stock (340 fsb 1.3v, 20 sec super pi 1m)
ga-965p-ds3 (seems to fsb wall around 354 =()
adata 2gb pc6400 kit @ 4-4-4-12 850 mhz (6121 MB/s in sandra, capable of 1050mhz at 5-5-5-15)
CM 600 watt psu
geforce 7300le (until i decide to buy a real card)
7200.10 320gb
old ide 80gb 7200 drive and dvdrw
westy 22"

Pretty happy w/ the performance of this machine considering it is extremely budget.

Pushing more air in doesn't mean you'll get recirc'ed air, if you plan an air-flow path. The majority will go out the main route, and the rest goes out the little areas, which aren't in the main path.

Also, the under-mobo fan is 80x15mm, and helps a lot - it's consistently the warmest spot in my case, but dropped 5*C with the fan.

Sorry, but can I just clarify the fans on this guy? I can't find any info on coolermaster's site or newegg. I get that the 80mm fan below the mobo needs to be thin, but I saw something else about needing thin fans for up top under the mesh? I ordered a bunch of 120x25mm fans, will they fit?

Sorry, but can I just clarify the fans on this guy? I can't find any info on coolermaster's site or newegg. I get that the 80mm fan below the mobo needs to be thin, but I saw something else about needing thin fans for up top under the mesh? I ordered a bunch of 120x25mm fans, will they fit?

yeah, 25mm fans will fit anywhere on the case except that one 80mm mount. no worries.

Back