My Watercooling Thread (pics) (56k...yeah right)

Devilpup said:
the rad i'm getting is a triple-fan configuration (expensive but convenient) so i'm not really concerned about pushing much air through it as i think it could get by passively. though the idea of 570cfm sounds interesting, at least to test.....

Hehe, yeah....I know the rad you're talking about. I was originally considering getting a BIX2 with 2 120mm aluminum fans on each side for a total of 320cfm or so.....does sound nice, but kinda overdoing it IMO. I figure I'll be plenty happy with the single aluminum fan on the DTek heatercore, possibly with a second fan added later on as a "push" fan.

PDRM03411.JPG

:rolleyes:
comcrap site is down you shall have to wait

well, i finally got around to putting my system together, and it looks "smashing" :p my dad and i worked on the blowhole and then i did the rest (he helped clean up spills too :p)

blowhole.JPG

Here is the blowhole that was placed in the top of the case...rending the DVD+RW useless :p...but now i hafta move it
old.JPG

what do u consider a huge improvement....from this ^^^^ to
new.JPG

THIS!!!! mwahahahaha....lol
ww.JPG

here is my WhiteWater CPU block...by around 5:30PM today i'll have some temps and benchmarks, cuz that's when the leaktesting ends...
gpu_block.JPG

Here is the DD Maze4 GPU block...sorry, its hard to take a pic of it when its in the AGP slot
heatercore_tubes.JPG

Here is the infamous heatercore with the (you probly can't see it) 120mm fan that moves one helluva lot of air...its not on now (obviously)
pump_tubes.JPG

Here is the "acclaimed" Via Aqua 1300...if anyone knows how to find the impeller, do tell, cuz i'm too a) lazy, b) incompetent, and c) dont' feel like taking the system apart just to NOT find it...its pretty loud, but its a freaking lot better than the obnoxious whine of my old Volcano 11+ (here is a little clip of the Via in action: http://www.geocities.com/alex41290/in_action.mpg)
res_tubes.JPG

Here is the D-Tek poly reservoir...its really nice for filling and bleeding, i just can't bump the table or a helluva lot of bubbles go into the loop...

well, again, i'll post with pics of all my stuff in it and with some benchies/temps...

comments, por favor (please)!!!

and one more thing...i've been leak testing for about 18 1/2 hours now, can I just put everything together after 19 or 20 hours? no leaks, no bubbles, nothing....what do u all think?

Alex41290 said:
and one more thing...i've been leak testing for about 18 1/2 hours now, can I just put everything together after 19 or 20 hours? no leaks, no bubbles, nothing....what do u all think?

I'll normally stress 24 hours with people, but you ARE getting quite close.....tough to say honestly, but I know how irritating it can be to wait for stuff like that to finish.

One thing though, you're leak testing inside the case WITH the computer installed?!?!?!?!?!? I realise that you haven't had any issues, but the whole point of leak testing for a day or two is so that you don't have any issues with your comp and any water leaks. I see that you've got towels in there.....but if something started leaking it might have still become a problem. All in all I'm glad to see that you're finally coming towards the end of this setup.....and it's a good thing to see that the leak testing was successfull as of now. ;) :p

lol, the only things that leaked i fixed with plumber's tape and a wrench...had to tighten the clamps...

but now it has been 19 hours, i'll probly just go to 20....

Alex41290 said:
lol, the only things that leaked i fixed with plumber's tape and a wrench...had to tighten the clamps...

but now it has been 19 hours, i'll probly just go to 20....

Good stuff, I wish you luck.....as I sit still waiting for my damn heatercore....better get here this week...the rest of the h2O stuff is just sitting on my desk. :(

that's how i felt with the zerex...still hasn't come :p

my dad had to go out and get me some antifreeze...

well, there is a small area (the one outlet of the CPU block) where bubbles like to hide...i'm wondering if when i plug up the reservoir if it'll just stop...hopefully...

yeah, the computer itself isnt' actually on, and trust me...i made sure that EVERYTHING was sealed and properly connected...cept for the dumb move of mine putting the pump backwards :eek:!!!

so yeah, so far so good...no leaks, too bad i can hear it in the other room :\

eh well, at least its not a high pitched assmonger such as my old volcano...

Alex41290 said:
so yeah, so far so good...no leaks, too bad i can hear it in the other room :\

eh well, at least its not a high pitched assmonger such as my old volcano...

Yeah man, I can only imagine what 4 of those Evercool's would sound like after having one on my side panel. :p Good stuff though, keep us informed on the temps once you're through.

Those Evercool fans are kind of "whiny" at stock but I've under volted them to 5v and they still push some good air but they are alot quieter. :D

if i had a fan controller....

could i mod the controller for my volcano?

i'll try to fish up a picture later...30 more minutes till "liftoff" lol

I had a few of those 12v molex adapters that I got with some Antec fans, I used those and made it run off of 5v. One end has a molex plug the other end has a fan connector.

well, if i plugged the 3-pin connector into the "CPU Fan" thing on my motherboard, would I be able to control it in windows?

you know, i just realized...i was wondering why i couldn't control the speed of my volcano in windows...it ran off of the molex...but there isn't a way to control the speed w/o buying a fan controller? though it would be nice because of my 2 other 80mm fans which one puts out a lot of noise...

keep the suggestions/comments coming...will be posting with pics/temps/benchmarks in about 30-40 minutes when i put everything in and boot it up...

Plug almost any fan into a motherboard header and run Speedfan.....it allows you to alter the speed of the fans plugged into your mobo headers in 1% increments. The nice thing about this little proggy is that you can actually set the fans down to 0% to turn them off if you want.....Speedfan can be set to maintain its settings after the program is closed..but just just aware that the fan speeds will reset when you restart your comp until you can get the program running again.

yeah i had/have that...not sure if i still do, but i'll check it out...

thanks!

a) keep the suggestions/comments coming
b) i'll be starting to set it up in about 20 minutes, so I'll definitely post stuff then!

Alex41290 said:
b) i'll be starting to set it up in about 20 minutes, so I'll definitely post stuff then!

Good stuff, dont forget to get that fugly Tt cooler out of your sig. :p

newtemps.JPG

woo hoo!!

which one is the actual CPU temp? the CPU1 temperature doesn't seem right...or maybe my eyes decieve me :eek:!! lol

that's cold :p

will post some new benchmark scores...most notably AM3 and 3dmark 03 (i hate 05)

okay people....problem as of now...

all was well on the watercooling, CPU temps were looking great...UNTIL:

CORRUPTION (PROBLY VIDEO CARD)

i am now scared/angry/pissed, etc...

is my pump not strong enough? is the block not seated right? i tried tightening/loosening the block to see what the problem was...even tried VGA instead of DVI...still problematic...

PLEASE HELP ME...lol, i'm in dire need of help...

Alex41290 said:
did u really really tighten it? now u have me scared :p...i don't wanna wreck my pc with my watercooling...why'd u do that? lol, thanks for pointing that out, though, should I like silicone the outlets to the res? would that help at all? like, don't tighten it as much, but silicone it shut?

well, if anybody has any suggestions/comments, i'd love to hear some!

Been a while since Ive last viewed the thread...but if you speaking to me...I didnt tighten a thing it was factory and it cracked by itself. the bolts that held the top down were put in too tight and stress cracks formed then the barbs were next. I traded out for an aluminum top. and soon to be a copper top...but then I changed to the S-TDX in my sig and never looked back

If you're sure that the blocks were tightened down then I'll just skip over that. Your pump is fine for the setup you've got goin. What were you doing and how long did it take before/when the corruption started?

what i was doing:

AIM and Prime95

When did it happen:

out of the blue posting on [H]

What happened:

insane ass corruption...huge lines running down the screen...mangled text...etc...

grizzy told me to retighten the GPU block just because i might have missed it...

I was experiencing a bit of onscreen corruption after my initial installation of the NV5.....didn't have enough thermal paste on it and wasn't tighten'd quite enough.....sounds like you're experiencing somethign quite similar. My card is/was fine so hopefully you'll have the same turnout. Have you bothered taking off the GPU block yet to check the compound and re-tighten it?

well, right now its not possible, cuz this POS pump just died...ARGH!!!

well, if anyone can direct me to a better pump from D-Tek than the via aqua (preferrably AC) please do tell me, cuz i'm sure my dad can get the point across that we want a discout cuz the damn thing died...

the only thing that is weird is that the pump makes a really quiet and low humming noise...like insanely silent, but it doesn't "kick in" and it doesn't seem like it is actually moving water...but it might be...i'll see what i can do

LOL, that really sucks. RMA it back to them but see if you can get a difference pump since this one failed to badly. I've got one on the way so I hope it doesn't fail on me, it's just interim until I can get a DD/Swiftech 12v Pump.

is the 1046 or whatever better than the via? it has A LOT less GPH...but i know max head matters most...

Alex41290 said:
is the 1046 or whatever better than the via? it has A LOT less GPH...but i know max head matters most...

Seeing as you're running a multi-block setup I would naturally say to resort to an Eheim pump.....they are WAY to expensive for what they are.....but they'll get the job done. Sry to hear about the mishap bro.

I would also suggest a 1048 or a 1042. Regarding those Evercool fans, how noisy are they real life wise, not a decibel rating?

Finsta said:
Regarding those Evercool fans, how noisy are they real life wise, not a decibel rating?

Well let me say this.....I had a 4,000rpm blower fan in my Gigabyte 3D Cooler Pro, and my Vantec Fancard blowing at full speed, which IS quite irritating to begin with.....but I could still hear the Evercool over everything.....easily and without question the loudest thing in my case. The thing is that it's not a high pitched loud like my Gigabyte's blower is at all.....its basically a really loud airflow "whoosh" sound. But at 40dBA it's quite a lot of whoosh.....and if someone wants an even half quiet case I would not recommend running the 120mm Evercool aluminum case fan without a fan controller or a "Fan Only" 5v plug on their PSU.

It doesn't bother me at all....but I've never been a huge stickler for noise (except for when I had four 80mm tornados in my Lian-Li) and I guess it kind of grew on me. :p

the "Delivery Head" on the Eheim is only 4' 11"...which isn't that great for a $60 pump...

what would u guys reccomend instead?

EDIT: why is that pump $60 anyway? what makes it better than anything else?

Alex41290 said:
what would u suggest to get instead?

look here: www.dtekcustoms.com if you didn't already know :p

If the Via Aqua was the level of performance you were shooting for, then I highly suggest the Maxijet 1200. I've been running one for almost a year now with no problems. It's quiet, powerful enough and for the price, it's the best bang for the buck IMO.

http://www.aquariumguys.com/maxijet1200.html

Initially, many were scared off by the low price, equating it with a possible lack of quality. If you do a google search on it, you'll find it has been gaining a huge amount of popularity with the aquarium crowd and the watercoolers who have been using them all love them, myself included.

how many blocks do u have on it?

i was recommended that by someone as well, but i was kinda hoping to get something from d-tek cuz i'm sure my dad'll get a discount or something...at least a refund...so i can get it cheaper.

but i'll look into that

2 blocks. D-Tec Whitewater and DD Maze-4 GPU. The WW is a pretty restrictive block, but I still get very good performance on my rig. I use chilled water @17*C, but the water temperature varience from after the chiller and after the block array is always less than 1*C which is a pretty good indicator that there is not a significant pressure drop. Also, my Sandra reported temps:

CPU:
Idle: 19-22*C
Load: 25-31*C
Board:
Idle: 23-25*C
Load: 26-29*C

I've gotton this range of temps consistantly with case fans running (an 80mm and 92mm Tornado fan and 1 120mm Evercool) at ~35% RPM.

My rig: NF7-S, XP 2500+ Barton @220 mhz FSB.
2 X 512mb in dual channel (one PC3500 GEIL Ultra Platinum CL2 and one PC3200 Infineon) both running 1/1 @ 2-4-4-7 CL2

how about the AquaXtreme 50Z-DC12 Mag Drive its basically a mcp 600
dc go for the 1250 its a good pump

I guess Via Aqua offers no warranty on the 1300? Id expect a discount for sure on a replacement/upgrade.

yeah, i'm definitely getting a refund, but that makes getting another pump a little cheaper :p ($23 cheaper, to be exact)...

what's the difference between the MP600 and the MP650?

the only reason that im liking the Eheim and the Hydor, is because i've heard great things about their longevity and such, so they seem like a good choice. But if anyone can tell me otherwise, please do!

Back