My Watercooling Thread (pics) (56k...yeah right)

ok...well, finally got some more pictures of what's going on, ATM i'm leak testing the other pump...its quiet as hell (as seen here: http://www.geocities.com/hockeyalex26/MVI_1153.AVI)

ANYWAY, back to what you all want, pics

IMG_1154.JPG

party...my zerex is purply! lol....so yeah, tomorrow i'll have some updated temps, and possibly some overclocks, but i might be busy with my new UT2004 Clan -=D:F:A=- (Destructive Fission Alliance)...and ice hockey with my friend, but when that's all said and done, i'll give you some pics!

i'll update next weekend with the case/psu update!

Move that pump back so the outlet tube is perfectly vertical up to the block and I think it will look perfect. You'll get a better look on the pump inlet tube.

Edit: Maybe your case isn't wide enough for that now that I take a second look.

Those Eheims are big assed pumps. nice to see it finally working.

You need to start O/Cing RIGHT NOW!!!!! Im not even kidding.

Thats a tight cooling setup. When I first set up mine, it did the same thing and leaked all over my video card. My video card is still discolored. :rolleyes: Glad you were as lucky as I was and got it working again.

p.s. START OVERCLOCKING!!!!

Thats a tight cooling setup. When I first set up mine, it did the same thing and leaked all over my video card. My video card is still discolored.

You didn't bother leak testing it at all? If you leak test in the empty case so nothing really has to be moved around you shouldn't have run into any issues.....but maybe it just "slipped" your mind.

Alex41290, it's really nice to see your h2O up and running.....and holy shit....i never really get used to how big those Eheim pumps are.....its about 4 times bigger then my C-Systems pump.....looks weird. ;)

Move that pump back so the outlet tube is perfectly vertical up to the block and I think it will look perfect. You'll get a better look on the pump inlet tube.

Yeah, I doubt the case is wide enough.....cus if he tried to move it back right now the outlet barb on the pump would be hitting the inlet hose on the VGA block. Oh well......that's what you get for buying the RBX.....can't wait to get my TDX up and running. :D

you know, i would have OCed right off the bat, but i just wanted to get it running, and that would be a good thing for me...but alas, here i am...and i'm going to start OCing tomorrow...lol

thanks for all the comments! :D

yeah, it actually doesn't fit in my case, i had to remove my sound card :p, but for now i'm okay w/o it...but i will need it for UT2004/CS to get surround sound...damn integrated doesn't work for some reason....ANYWAY

i'll update tomorrow with some results/temps for you all....

alex

edit: and one more thing...i added some foam underneath it....this thing is almost 100% silent...i can't hear it from like a foot away! modern technology blows my mind...lol

Looking good Alex, glad to see the leaks have stopped.
cornelious0_0 said:
Alex41290, it's really nice to see your h2O up and running.....and holy shit....i never really get used to how big those Eheim pumps are.....its about 4 times bigger then my C-Systems pump.....looks weird. ;)
Damn, I've been trying to get one of those (actually two) here in the States. I see that your North of the border but still where did you get yours?

CrimandEvil said:
Damn, I've been trying to get one of those (actually two) here in the States. I see that your North of the border but still where did you get yours?

www.bigfootcomputers.com

It would have been cheaper after the currency exchange to get the pump from www.dtekcustoms.com in the states.....but I'd rather not wait as long as I'd have to to get it. Customs is/was on strike.....and after almost a week of sitting at the border my heatercore is finally being proccessed and brought into the country. :rolleyes:

Thanks, I've seen them over at Dtek but they don't have any...at all (I've been watching for about a month now). Hell it might get here faster if I go through Canada and customs anyways, lol. Cool them ship to the US too. :) Are those prices in CAD or USD?

alrighty people, thought i'd update....just because i'm bored, and i'm happy that my dad's old Palm Vx is running PalmOrb, and i'm getting Temp, Usage, free memory, and free HDD space :D....

anyway, for temps, i'm worried and/or angry? its saying 37*C running at 2GHz, and my volcano was running it at 40*C under load at 2.2GHz??? this is perplexing....i am folding@home for the [H]orde :D....and its stuck at 37*C, and its ticking me off....is my temp sensor horribly wrong?

thanks!

alex

CrimandEvil said:
Thanks, I've seen them over at Dtek but they don't have any...at all (I've been watching for about a month now). Hell it might get here faster if I go through Canada and customs anyways, lol. Cool them ship to the US too. :) Are those prices in CAD or USD?

Prices are in CAD......it's a little more expensive through Bigfoot then buying direct in the USA....but as you said, availability is a bitch down there for these things for some reason. I'm actually surprised Bigfoot got 'em as soon as they did.

I'm actually looking at buying another one right away and setting them both up because I'm replacing my 6800GT with a new toy.....and I'm gonna be doing at LEAST water cooling on the new card.....gonna want the extra flow from the second pump, which will just be beside the other one and won't disrupt any of the rest of my setup.

thanks for answering my question in my thread :p, jkjk, but does anyone have any insight?

Alex41290 said:
thanks for answering my question in my thread :p, jkjk, but does anyone have any insight?

Sorry bro.....umm.....got much for bubbles in the loop at all? I've seen that make a HUGE difference in temps.

Also, I might reseat the block with a new application of AS5 if it's not to much trouble.....or at least pull it up to make sure it was/is making 100% full contact and/or is tightened down properly and evenly.

Alex41290 said:
Sorry about that. :D

I'd try making sure that it's making proper contact with the core, how about switching your placement of fan and rad? I've been reading that having the fan "suck" air in rather then "blow" air in is better since it can bring in more air if it's "sucking"..... LOL. Anyways that might lower your temps a bit, also bubbles will give you a higher temp too.

Cornelious: I checked out the conversion on the pump and it's just $7 more so I'm going to try and get one soon to play with. :D

guys, its no problem...i was jk, but anyway....

there is a slight amount of bubbles from when i moved my case around :eek: (dumb idea), so that could do it....also, it could be the cpu block, i'll check it out!

thanks, u can continue w/ ur conversation :p

Alex41290 said:
thanks, u can continue w/ ur conversation :p

Dont' know if you could actually call it a conversation quite yet, but w/e.....I got nothin' else to say, so it's all good. :p

Cornelious: I checked out the conversion on the pump and it's just $7 more so I'm going to try and get one soon to play with.

Good stuff, I'm still waiting on my heatercore so I haven't actually been able to physically test it out.....but it IS a very nice pump, especially for it's size.

Alex41290, I'm assuming that the 120mm fan that's between the rad and the case is sucking air through the rad and out of the case right? Just tryin' to clear things up.

nah, its "pulling" air from outside the case, into the case through the rad....i thought it would be colder air...

Alex41290 said:
nah, its "pulling" air from outside the case, into the case through the rad....i thought it would be colder air...

Turn the fan around dude, you WILL get lower temps out of it. Trust me.....having the fan suck through the rad and blow out of the case is FAR more efficient if you're running only one fan. With the fan blowing on the rad you're still left with some dead zones where air isn't going to flow over the fins as freely....and you're restricting what the fan can actually do. By having it pull air through the rad and out of the case it's sucking air THROUGH and over a much larger area.....and it IS more effective.

You might be kinda wary to even half take things apart right now.....but I urge you (as well as basically everyone else will) to turn the fan around so it blows out of the case.

well, i'm kinda forced to take it apart considering that i am "migrating" to a new case shorly...but yeah, i'll change that.....thanks!

Alex41290 said:
well, i'm kinda forced to take it apart considering that i am "migrating" to a new case shorly...but yeah, i'll change that.....thanks!

Good stuff, you'll have to let me know how it goes.

Unless someone is ducting some uBer cold AC air onto an intake fan blowing on a rad I have NEVER seen a single "blow" fan outperform a single "suck" fan, so It'll be nice to see how much your specific setup benefits from the switch.

umm...see, the fan is sucking......this is how its set up

rad|shroud]fan <b>|</b> <---- air

so its "sucking" cold air through the rad....is that still bad?

brasherman said:
No that's blowing it. You want:

rad|shroud]fan <b>|</b> ----> air

Exactly....Alex, you seem to be a bit confused here.....so hopefully we can get this cleared up for you.

When someone refers to a fan on a radiator as a "push" or "blow" fan they mean that it's setup to push, or blow air ON the radiator. A "pull" or "suck" fan is one that is turned around, and movies air away from the radiator, not towards it.

These things do not work quite the same as CPU HSF's when you're working with air cooling.....the fan should be turned around in your setup so that it's blowing air out of the case......which means that it's sucking air OFF the rad and out the top.....not how you've got it now, which is a "push" setup....not as effective.

Alex41290 said:
oh, oops :p, thanks for clarifying....lol

No biggie, just glad we got it cleared up for ya. Can't say for sure how much difference it'll make for ya....but the temps will go down when you "flip" the fan around the right way. Apart from the fan setup you may still have an issues with your waterblock making (or not making) enough contact with the CPU due to not tightening the black enough, or having it over-tightened unevenly, which will mess things up also. Hope you find the source of the problems though, good luck. :cool:

brasherman said:
No that's blowing it. You want:

rad|shroud]fan <b>|</b> ----> air

I have my .. setup ...

Rad|shroud|Fans|FRONT OF CASE

Should i switch mine?

Creizai said:
I have my .. setup ...

Rad|shroud|Fans|FRONT OF CASE

Should i switch mine?

As long as the shroud is closed around whatever fan you've got up front and it's blowing air out of the case you're good. Different placements work better for ppl, depending on what they have for space to work with.....but the main thing is making sure that the air is being pulled through the rad and out of the case. You should only have a fan blowing on the radiator itself if there's another one on the other side sucking air out/off the other side.....which will help a BIT with temps.

cornelious0_0 said:
As long as the shroud is closed around whatever fan you've got up front and it's blowing air out of the case you're good. Different placements work better for ppl, depending on what they have for space to work with.....but the main thing is making sure that the air is being pulled through the rad and out of the case. You should only have a fan blowing on the radiator itself if there's another one on the other side sucking air out/off the other side.....which will help a BIT with temps.
I've had BOTH my 120mm's blowing IN (on to the rad) .. wow i'm stupid .. I thought maybe with the cold air from the front of the case it would help .. THANKS ALOT! Now to pick up my TDX and get to work my my 3000+ 90nm :eek:

Creizai said:
I've had BOTH my 120mm's blowing IN (on to the rad) .. wow i'm stupid .. I thought maybe with the cold air from the front of the case it would help .. THANKS ALOT! Now to pick up my TDX and get to work my my 3000+ 90nm :eek:

Good stuff, let me know how it goes bro. :cool:

okay, well, for an update, i'm putting everything in the system now, but i will be leak testing tomorrow...but i do have a question...where should i put the pump?

currently standing at:
IMG_1204.JPG

and i don't like the pump intake going directly (almost against, not quite) in front of the heatercore...thoughts?

i'm thinking to go by (name wise) "Alx" but alienware took it....those bastards :p

Alex41290 said:
and i don't like the pump intake going directly (almost against, not quite) in front of the heatercore...thoughts?

You're definitely in a bit of a bind with this one boy. The easiest way would be to mount the heatercore on the top of the case how you had it before, externally if needed.....that way you could have the pump moved forward towards the front of the case more and it'd be closer to how you had the tubing routed before. Having the heatercore in front like that is beneficial for a lot of ppl, but I honestly think that it only causes more problems (in terms of routing the tubing) then it solves.

Up to you, but I'd have the heatercore at the top of the case.

well, i tried "rearranging" things such as my UV lights and the pump, and i came up with this:

IMG_1205.JPG

better than before...and i can still fit my sound card, etc...

any more suggestions thoughts? i can always move it around a little.

i also had an idea of moving the pumps outlet to the rad and have it go from the rad to the CPU to the GPU, res, pump, rad, etc. would i take a huge performance hit temperature wise? and yes, i did switch around the fan....

The setup should be pump-cpu-gpu-rad-res-pump idealy.....you can experiment with some different layouts, but that's gonna be the best, so it may or may not be worth your time to fiddle with it.

hmm...seems repetitive....leaktesting:

IMG_1214.JPG

so far so good....like the water color? i was going for the really light blue that Liquid_Cooled used, but he has decided not to share what he uses...so i'm stuck with a sweet blue-green....comments, suggestions, thoughts?

Alex41290 said:
comments, suggestions, thoughts?

Not really, I'm just not sure if the highlighter is going to stain the tubing or reservoir at all....or possibly even the inside of the water block. I don't think it would, but with this stuff you never know. :p

cornelious0_0 said:
Moreso just irritating when/if you want to clean it out or you dont want/like the color anymore.

well, its blue...i'll never not want/like the color...that's a sin

anyway, tomorrow i'll have some temps/benches/OCs cuz i'll be working on that, as well as pics....and suggestions or comments are welcome!

alex

Alex41290 said:
well, its blue...i'll never not want/like the color...that's a sin

anyway, tomorrow i'll have some temps/benches/OCs cuz i'll be working on that, as well as pics....and suggestions or comments are welcome!

alex

Good stuff, I probly won't be posting a whole lot for suggestions and stuff, might as well just letcha know on AIM if something comes to mind. :p

Good stuff though, I'll keep watching.

Back