new Samsung 2253BW! check it out!

yeah it was the wide color gamut that messed up the 226CW. Made everything look oversaturated. Also, it had bad input lag for some reason.

I am assuming that the LG one you are referring to is the 227wt. Which has a contrast of 5000:1 or 10,000:1 (LG site lists both lol)

anyways I am waiting between either the 2253BW or the LG227wt. (I was going to get a 226bw but i knew if i purchased it something else better might come out like the day after)

I'm not sure how dynamic contrast works for games, but I can tell you that I like it a lot for movies on my 46-inch Samsung LCD HDTV.
I can only speak for my 20" LG monitor. The difference between an overall bright scene and overall dark scene is good, except that there's a noticble delay between a scene switch and the backlight catching up. I could live with that. However, the problem is in dark scenes where a bright object moves about. Things can be nice and dark, then somebody whips out a torch, or casts a spell, then all of a sudden all the darks turn terribly grey. If the panel was smart enough to only increase the backlight when the overall picture was brighter, then it would be fine, but even the smallest flicker in a black scene will cause the backlight to mess around, and that's horribly annoying.

I think dynamic contrast is mostly a gimic. The backlight changes, and your retina changes to accomodate it. The effect is negated by our natural reaction to changes in light. The only result is more eye strain :S. A good use of bias lighting can help this, though.

I'm really impatient to see a review of that monitor. It might be next purchase.

I talked to Circuit City today and they said they have the 2253bw in their warehouse, and should have them in stores this week. It seems strange that stores are about to have them but there are no good reviews out for this monitor yet. Doesn't Samsung and other big companys make sure they get out new products to respected reviewers to have reviews before the products hits the shelf?

They have done this in the past for behardware.com. Maybe they don't want to because behardware blew up about the 226bw panel lottery and really hated on the 226cw. Yet, they did like the 2232bw. It just seems strange. Maybe Samsung doesn't want any reviews out before they sell some in stores becasue they know the 2253bw isn't that much of a step up from previous monitors. I have no idea, I'm just speculating.

I talked to Circuit City today and they said they have the 2253bw in their warehouse, and should have them in stores this week. It seems strange that stores are about to have them but there are no good reviews out for this monitor yet. Doesn't Samsung and other big companys make sure they get out new products to respected reviewers to have reviews before the products hits the shelf?

They have done this in the past for behardware.com. Maybe they don't want to because behardware blew up about the 226bw panel lottery and really hated on the 226cw. Yet, they did like the 2232bw. It just seems strange. Maybe Samsung doesn't want any reviews out before they sell some in stores becasue they know the 2253bw isn't that much of a step up from previous monitors. I have no idea, I'm just speculating.

yeah I was expecting reviews first to. Are you sure behardware gets their screens sent to them from Samsung though or do they use other sources. Usually I think new Samsung lcds go for sale in places like Europe before the United States. If you check the forums at sites like lesnumeriques it doesn't appear anyone has been able to buy one there yet either so perhaps they are launching everywhere at the same time for this model.

So, has anyone ordered this monitor yet? It's available now at several places online.

EDIT: nevermind, I just hope this comes out soon. My best option for a new monitor is a viewsonic.

Like I said CC said they had it in their warehouse, and asked me if I wanted to order it. I wonder if I ordered it and didn't like it if I could return it to a store, I bet you can. I do believe most review places do get products in advance.

I'm concerned about BestBuy even carrying this monitor in its stores. Their monitor selection has been really lacking lately. Even the new 2493HM and 2693HM haven't been listed on BestBuy.com and they've been out longer than this one.

I stopped by Best Buy last week to look at their monitors, before I decided to purchase the Soyo 24". The salesperson I talked to there said that their monitor selection was pretty bad at the time, because they were waiting for new monitors in March. So come March, their selection should get better.

I'm concerned about BestBuy even carrying this monitor in its stores. Their monitor selection has been really lacking lately. Even the new 2493HM and 2693HM haven't been listed on BestBuy.com and they've been out longer than this one.

I am pretty sure they will because it's listed on the Best Buy for Business website as being available. Best Buy always seems to carry the latest Samsung lcds.

Looks like CircuitCity's site update removed the 2053BW. I wonder when that one will come because I wanted to compare it to the 2253BW.

Apparently some Best Buys have them in stock now. The one by me didn't but someone on anandtech got one.

so you can pick these up for like $312 now, but i dont see ANY reviews! what's goin on here?

Hopefully they will get it right one day, because I just took back a Samsung 2232BW or something or other from Best Buy. The monitor was complete trash - replaced it with the 24" LG that was also in the store and it was like going from passive matrix to active matrix.

Well they didn't think the 2232bw was trash.

I have to agree with Gregory, I got a 2232BW from Best Buy and took it back two days later. It had a HORRIBLY strong blue dominance that I could not correct with the LCD's controls and suffered from really bad backlight bleed. It was also "burn-out-your-retinas" bright and I could not find an acceptable brightness/contrast setting combo.

BTW, I had a CMO or 'China' panel. After this and passing on the 226BW, I got tired of Samsung's panel lottery so I then ordered a Viewsonic vx2240w. I've had nothing but great success with Viewsonic.

I have to agree with Gregory, I got a 2232BW from Best Buy and took it back two days later. It had a HORRIBLY strong blue dominance that I could not correct with the LCD's controls and suffered from really bad backlight bleed. It was also "burn-out-your-retinas" bright and I could not find an acceptable brightness/contrast setting combo.

BTW, I had a CMO or 'China' panel. After this and passing on the 226BW, I got tired of Samsung's panel lottery so I then ordered a Viewsonic vx2240w. I've had nothing but great success with Viewsonic.

that's weird because this professional review and several others love the 2232BW even with the CMO panel. they say the colors are easily correctable with the profile on their site.

http://www.behardware.com/articles/689-10/22-inch-lcd-monitors-the-3rd-wave.html

The Viewsonics are nice but the styling isn't for me plus I think the main reviewed version is only a 5 ms panel which if I am getting a TN I'd rather have 2 even if it's with overdrive.

that's weird because this professional review and several others love the 2232BW even with the CMO panel. they say the colors are easily correctable with the profile on their site.

Directly from the article you posted...

The CMO panel has an overall blue dominance. It is possible to partially manually remedy this but it still remains imperfect. Ideally, each screen should be individually calibrated with a sensor. So who has 300 € to spend on a calibration system for a screen that costs the same amount? Not too many people.

And from this article...

A final word of caution…

We received a model with a Samsung panel, however one reader, Trackers, immediately announced on the forum that they had a CMO panel version identified via the hidden menu as an xxxCDA-1002. Trackers explained that they had to take the screen back to the store because of its blue dominance that they could not correct in the menu nor with graphic card options.

Since then, we tested this second version and we can confirm this blue dominance. To improve images you will have to go into the personalized settings and change the color temperature to Warm. Color fidelity will not be as good as with monitors equipped with Samsung panels but it is still better than most monitors tested this year.

Bottom line for me - who needs this nonsense. I'm simply glad that BB gave me all my money back without taking its 15% restocking fee. It's very doubtful there will be a Samsung monitor in my future - unless of course, Samsung stops playing the panel lottery.

My 2232BW had such a strong blue dominance it looked like a smurf had barfed on it.

Use this link and choose the 2232BW (S Panel) vs. the 2232BW (C,D,A Panel). Check out the 'Quality of Grays' and 'Colors with Factory Settings' comparisons. They seemed to be able to correct the problem with the 'C' panel's colors but as mentioned, should we have to buy a colorimeter to achieve an acceptable LCD?

Also, take note of the other metric comparisons. It appears that the 'S' panel is definitely better then the 'non-S' panels.

Hey guys I been lurking this forums for years; I finally decided to signup. I ordered the 2253bw from newegg. I like the monitor so far, but this is my first lcd monitor so nothing to compare it too. What you guys need to know? I have a camera and willing to do what you guys want.

What I noticed is this monitor is really bright I immediately turned the contrast down to 70 and out of the box the colors were too saturated for my liking. I turned the color down to 75 using my Ati video card saturation setting. But I really like the response time from this monitor, im a hardcore css player and I cant notice the difference in response time from my CRT I came from. The images are really crisp. The blacks are dark enough that I can distinguish it from shades of gray. And When I have a all black screen, I only have minimum blacklight bleed at the top and bottom of the screen. But I only notice this when the screen is all black.

The screen appears to be matte. ( it has a texture on the surface).. will update this thread soon with picture. ( screenshots from source) Or you want pics from a camera??

csmilitia0090iv5.jpg

csmilitia0093cv7.jpg

those are screenshots. will do camera now.

I might have to order this monitor. I want the 20" version but hey. Btw what server do you play on the most in CS:S?

When im not in scrims or matches I play in this CAL map of the week server - 8.9.11.215:27015 I play under the name " m "

just ordered it... hopefully it turns out ok

i got it from circuitcity.com so if something ends up being wrong with it, i can just return it to the store without worrying about shipping it anywhere. im praying this is a good monitor because $350 shipped is alot of cash. lol

So, I've been watching this thread for a couple of weeks now, and have spent countless hours of research on LCD's. I've been using 2 Dell 1905FP's that I purchased about 3 years ago. They've been great monitors, but thought it was time to upgrade to something widescreen and with more brightness/contrast. I've been to all the retail outlets and have physically looked at several different LCD panels. I'm also very aware of the different types of panels (TN, S-IPS, PVA) and know about the various "panel lotteries" that several manufacturers use, such as Dell. In fact, I almost purchased the Ultrasharp 2208wfp model, but after reading several reviews, decided that would be a horrible choice.

This is what brings me to Samsung. I have a 72" Samsung DLP Television, and love it. I've also read several reviews of their LCD panels, and have looked at several models in person. The 2253bw and 2243bwx are new models just released on the US market, and figure these could only be upgrades from their previous versions, including the 226bw which has earned great reviews. After looking at several pictures and online information from various chinese websites, I discovered that the 2253bw and 2243bwx were the same panel, just had different stands. So, being a tall guy, I opted for the fully adjustable version, 2243bwx. I purchased two of them from newegg.

I have to say that at first, I was not as impressed as I thought I would be. My 19" Dell's were very good still with nVidia's digial vibrance turned up a bit.

One of the new panels was flawless. The other, had some "dirty" scratches on the screen, a scratch on the bezel, and a stuck pixel. After tapping on the panel, it started working correctly and I haven't had any problems since. The scratches buffed out with the enclosed microfiber cloth, however, the scratch on the bezel was deep and will not buff out. Contrast/Brightness controls are exceptional. I do not like Samsungs Dynamic Contrast with the use of "magicbright." I turned this feature on, and you can see the dynamically changing contrast when going from website to website, and when viewing a movie. Not sure if this is how it's supposed to be, but I don't like it. So I turned this feature off.

I was also worried about text being clear since a 22" panel has the same amount of pixels as a 20", and the pixels are a bit larger. I will say that text seems very clear and sharp. Pictures and movies are vibrant and also clear. I can't notice any "fuzziness" around the edges or corners. Viewing agnles are much better than your average TN panel. I have to stand up and look down at the monitors, or get down on my knees to notice a significant change in color or contrast. Even from the side, the viewing angle is outstanding. Much better than I thought. After a week of use, I'm much more impressed and happy with these monitors. The fully adjustable stand is great but the height is still lacking. They don't go up as high as my Dell monitors, but much better than no adjustment at all like with the 2253bw.

I'm an Information Technology consultant and have been in the industry for several years. I have an expensive habbit of staying on the bleeding edge of technology. The 2243bwx is a great monitor for the price, and would highly recommend.

nice we are finally getting some feedback. To the above poster I wish the 2243bwx was available in retail stores. I like to be able to exchange mine in the case of dead pixels or some other common problem.

Hey guys I been lurking this forums for years; I finally decided to signup. I ordered the 2253bw from newegg. I like the monitor so far, but this is my first lcd monitor so nothing to compare it too. What you guys need to know? I have a camera and willing to do what you guys want.

What I noticed is this monitor is really bright I immediately turned the contrast down to 70 and out of the box the colors were too saturated for my liking. I turned the color down to 75 using my Ati video card saturation setting. But I really like the response time from this monitor, im a hardcore css player and I cant notice the difference in response time from my CRT I came from. The images are really crisp. The blacks are dark enough that I can distinguish it from shades of gray. And When I have a all black screen, I only have minimum blacklight bleed at the top and bottom of the screen. But I only notice this when the screen is all black.
hey anyway you can check what panel your 2253BW has? Hopefully you got a Samsung one. You can follow the steps here to see the hidden service menu just like for the 2232bw. it would be helpful for a lot of people considering to order this. thanks.

http://www.behardware.com/articles/689-10/22-inch-lcd-monitors-the-3rd-wave.html

yeah im interested to know which panels they started using in these.

Back