NVIDIA 8800GTX "Will It Fit?" Case Thread

the Cavalier 5 will definatly not fit the 8800GTX. it's barely wide enough for a normal atx mobo. :( I know because i have one

dimashk said:
by second thought, i'm not sure that 8800 is that long. i took the picture from gizmodo, overlayed the pcie slot, and it looks at least 1 inch shorter than Hurin made...
Hmmm, well. . . I suppose if the 28cm includes the DVI ports sticking off the end or "back plane" rather than just the PCB (as Wicked Weasel suggested), then my "mock up" could indeed be too long. However, keep in mind that using that actual image of the 8800 might not give accurate results if the camera is even slightly tilted and/or the image has been manipulated (I tried using a similar technique on an earlier shot of the Asus 8800GTX until I realized that the image was "squeezed" horizontally. . . the fan was oval!).

But, either way, as long as we're not crushing anyone's hope and dreams, I think it's probably best to estimate conservatively. That way, people won't be buying a card (or case) that won't fit! But, as always, these are estimates, and nothing said in this thread should be considered to be 100% certain.

I see others have joined in. I'll try to get to some of the requests that haven't already been taken care of tomorow while I'm at work.

i_am_mustang_man said:
i can't find the dimensions on the 7900gto (which i have now)

in my cooler master centurion 5

http://www.techpowerup.com/gallery/328/3.jpg

a pic with my hdd before i really got the wiring down ;)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811119077

i don't think it's going to fit, that's just my gut :(
Well, here's the pic. But don't get too discouraged. I'm also beginning to think that the 28cm (as I feared) was a measurement that included the DVI Ports (etc.). So, it is indeed possible that my mock-up is too long. So, I'd interpret this as a caution, not an outright declaration that it won't fit. Until we get confirmation of how large the PCB of the 8800GTX is, we can only say for certain that certain cases will work. But "marginal" situations should still hold out hope that they might be able to squeeze it in there if the measurements currently floating around turn out to be misleading (the DVI port shouldn't be included when stating a length for the purposes of determining what cases will accomodate the card).

cent5.jpg

Hurin said:
Here's the very popular Chenming "Server" Tower (probably also applies to the Antec TX1050B Server Tower). (pointless info: My case is based on this, so it hits close to home!)

antec-chenming-8800gtx.jpg

Conclusion: This will fit. Though, you may have to shuffle some hard drives around.

I got that case, generic model, but see with using the bottom HDD cage and having the fan in there..your HDD'S stick out more than using the 2nd (upper) HDD cage since you can slide the HDD's all the way in there because there is no fan. Also with the fan on the lower HDD cage, the middle slot is pointless (can't use) due to the clips that hold in the fan there. I have a problem with this case right now w/ my 7900gt...the PCI-E connector interferes with the SATA POWER/DATA connectors of the HDD on the very bottom slot of the lower HDD cage, so I got a right angle SATA Data cable, it fits but its still a pain...wish the HDD cages were vertical or they pointed to the side. I doubt the 8800GTX will fit, the GTS I think is the same, might be 1cm more than my 7900gt right now, but also the PCI-e connectors are on the top (instead of the back like right now), so I should take that into consideration as well. BUT I didn't!

Anyway, I bought a CM Stacker since I always wanted one and now I know for sure the new cards will fit in the case and now I can use this Antec case for my older build (which is in boxes) and I can finally sell it whole, since I will be able to use my old case again for it hehe!

Best of luck to all haha

also some of these images have hte mobos a bit small. i dunno if this is gonan help, but cant we compare the length to the current GX2 offerings? whats the comparison? shorter or longer or close to the GX2?

here it is in the chenming with a full size mobo you will see that its a bit bigger than some of hte pics posted thus far

seiteoffenhellfy1.jpg

el rolio said:
also some of these images have hte mobos a bit small.
Not all motherboards are the same size. As long as the mounting holes match up, it's sorta tough to get this wrong. I suspect your NF4 LANParty is just plain larger than the Asus Crosshair used in the "mock up."

i dunno if this is gonan help, but cant we compare the length to the current GX2 offerings? whats the comparison? shorter or longer or close to the GX2?
The GX2 is substantially shorter than the 8800GTX.

H

On second thought, I'm going to go back and look over some things. My Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe is also stated to be the same size as the Crosshair: 12”x 9.6” (30.5cm x 24.5cm)

But, it's in my case right now, and hangs much farther over the last set of mounting posts towards the hard drives than does the Crosshair in that picture.

So, Asus may just be reporting the ATX Form Factor as the size of their motherboards in the specs rather than the actual size.

If there turns out to be a major error based on this, I'll PM those who have contributed here (and may be about to make a faulty decision) and edit each post.

Having said that, if my initial estimate is correct, any mistake may make the 8800GTX relatively smaller in these pics. Here's hoping!

H

Well, the good news is that the basic calculations of motherboard size are fine.

I whipped out my old Abit AN8-SLI, measured it myself. Then found a good image of it on the Abit site, compared it to the real thing (make sure it's not pre-production, etc.). Then ran the same procedure using this board instead of the Asus Crosshair.

Further good news is that, now that we have reports just released this morning that the 8800GTX PCB itself is only 27cm (instead of 28cm), I have been able to fine-tune the "mask" appropriately.

Here's the new "mask" done with my own measurements (rather than off website specs) on an Abit AN8-SLI. It is super-imposed over the old "mask" and then shifted slightly downwards so that you can see both clearly and how the motherboard's width match perfectly. The difference in 8800GTX size is due to the newer, more accurate reported PCB measurement. I made the 8800GTXes blue this time since it shows up better on the red Abit motherboard.

compare-antec-chenming-8800gtx.jpg

And, now that I look even more closely, that's about the right gap between the hard drive bays and my A8N32-SLI. So, no harm done.

I'll be going back and re-doing some of the ones that didn't fit (or would have needed modification) with the newer "mask" some time today.

Best,

H

that case still isnt the best, like i said with the fan in there and having a hdd in there..it makes the hdd stick out, therefore hitting the 8800GTX and then you gotta worry about SATA data and power connectors...if it works ill be suprised..probably be a pain

but hey if people dont use that bottom hdd cage, then it should be fine, just wont work for my setup, since i have 4 hard drives.

I can't say for other cases, but the Thermaltake Eureka will for sure work. It'll actually fit full multi-cpu server motherboards in there.

dimashk said:
^ look at the first page, first Hyrin's post, thats Nine-Hundred there...

Doh! I thought there was a post about it in this thread, but I did a quick scan across the images and I didnt notice it. Duh! lol!

I should have some time after lunch to goof around with these more. Check back later!

Hurin said:
I should have some time after lunch to goof around with these more. Check back later!
Regarding the Sonata II, with all that ducting, I don't see how it would fit. Have you removed it all?

Regarding the Lian-Li V1000, I can't find a good dead-on side shot. :(

I dont think it would fit in the Sonata II without some modding. Around the same size interior as the centurion I just upgraded from.

Yeah, all that Sonata 2 ducting junk its removed. The 7900GTX fits just fine.

I just put the 8800GTX in my Lian-Li v1000.. its perfect. It sticks out 1'' past the end of the motherboard if you guys want to measure.

8800gtx runs @ 84 degrees C, the gts runs @ 80 C. ,,,,your definately gonna need something like this....its a TJ-09 by the way

dsc00542ma3.jpg

SlikRig said:
8800gtx runs @ 84 degrees C, the gts runs @ 80 C. ,,,,your definately gonna need something like this....its a TJ-09 by the way

And U kow DAT...nuff said :eek: :eek: :eek:

How about a Lian-Li PC-V2000? I have blowholes with three 120mm fans on the top as well... so cooling will be fine... but will it fit w/o me having to rip out the drive bay rails?

edit: nevermind. I have about 6-8 inches between the mobo and the DVD drives... not a problem. Im 8800GTX compliant!!!

Now to pawn my 7900GTXs off on someone...

Hurin said:
Here's the Antec P180.

http://www.dor-lomin.com/images/forums/hardocp/8800gtx-fit/antecp180-8800gtx.jpg[img]
Factors: The image of the case may not be a 100% dead-on side shot. So things might be skewed a bit.

Conclusion: It will fit, but only if you remove that middle drive bay. This might be acceptable however since the primary hard drive bay is actually at the bottom and the middle one does not contain the floppy drive bay.[/QUOTE]
posted this in another thread, thought I'd share

here is a pic of my P180 with a X1900XT
you'll definitely need to remove the middle cage with a 8800GTX

[URL=http://img222.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img5475ka0.jpg][IMG]http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/2530/img5475ka0.th.jpg[/URL]

edit: after taking a closer look, I don't think you'd have to remove the middle drive cage completely, but you would need to take the top drive holder out and if you have a drive in the bottom one, flip it upside down
this way the end of the 8800GTX will just extend into the cage

God, all this talk about the 8800's and now I want to ditch this 1950xtx. The black pcb's are much nicer (on the BFG ones). Never liked red.

I'm one of those oddballs who only cares about matching the color of his PCB's. The digg case can't have blue, silver, black, and red. ......:D

Been wanting to upgrade to a 8800 GTX rig. Thinking about the Centurion 5 case, and I wanted to know if it would fit. Unfortunately my Paint Shop Pro skills kinda suck, as you can see. :p

Though I guess it would fit as long as there aren't any HDDs near the cards. :/

image2ys7.jpg

Does anybody know if the 8800GTX will fir in a Silverstone SG01 case?
How much work would it be to get one in there?

LOL

Smallest of the small...

I don't know of Silvys case but it would fit in a microfly with a bit of modding. U will not be able to put a cd rom in the bottom bay though. It would ned a tad of dremmeling but it can fit.

Hopefully the cards will be shorter and the power requirements will be less after a refresh. The need for a 900W PSU is...obnoxious.

DarkenReaper57 said:
Hopefully the cards will be shorter and the power requirements will be less after a refresh. The need for a 900W PSU is...obnoxious.

Need for a 900w? Unless you are running SLI, you only need a 650 by Nvidia's standards. And with SLI its 850, recommended. You could get away with a 750 or probably less if you wanted to, though.

But yes, less power requirements would be nice, as this is raising the monthly electricity bill at my house like $5. lol.

Back