NVIDIA 8800GTX "Will It Fit?" Case Thread

Hurin said:
Re: Antec 900

Will a second 8800gtx cause problems with the power supply cables? Or is the more flexible psu arrangement down there (no "channel" for the cables) less problematic?

I dont think I would have a problem.. At least with my motherboard.. i could have at least two inches between my PSU and a second card..

Darkside said:
Sorry I could not help but to rip this ...SilverStone TJ09..as austin powers says..yeah baby,yeah

And a BOAT LOAD of space

silverstonetj09go4.jpg

Geez!! Ya think ya have enough room in there? :rolleyes: Even with all the hardware installed that thing looks like it would have enough room for my little cousin to use as a spare bedroom. :|

I have another question though....is there such a thing as an EPS12V power supply main power cable extender? With that do you think it would be possible fit an extra 8800gtx in the P180??

StalkerZER0 said:
I have another question though....is there such a thing as an EPS12V power supply main power cable extender? With that do you think it would be possible fit an extra 8800gtx in the P180??
You mean an extension cable for the motherboard 8-pin power connector?

Yeah. They're out there.

I actually just bought two. One from here. No complaints so far. They've actually got the wrong image there on that page. But they sent the right cable! The image is correct on the category page here.

I also got one here. It seemed to be higher quality and sleeved. But I haven't had a chance to use it yet (I only bought the other one because this one was taking 3 or 4 days to get across the country!).

I've got a Lian-Li PC-6089A which is similar ot the PC60 or PC65 in size.

It has the extra removable drive tray at the bottom front but I currently house 3 other hard drives in there so I cant get rid of that. I am using an ATI X1900XTX at the moment and that fits ok and I guess that a 8800GTX might just scrape over the top of the above mentioned hard drive tray.

Can anyone confirm this or is it going to be time for me to upgrade to the infamous SIlverstone TJ-09 like many others?

THX

I’ve just had a Lian Li PC-S80 delivered last night and a GFG Tech 8800GTX is on a truck and out for delivery today. Based on the ruler picture earlier in this thread the card may be 1/8” too long for my case. The hard drive cage is sideways and I can’t see modifying it.

Are all the 8800 GTX cards identical in length? I measure 10.5 inches of room between the harddrive cage and inside case back, not including the tab. I hesitate to take the card out and find it won’t fit since it might make returning it difficult. Has anyone tested the PC-S80 or come up with a very accurate card measurement that tells me what I want to hear?

Thanks.

71052018.jpg

Does anyone know if a G80 will fit in a Lian Li v1000 with a Tuniq Tower?

Here's a picture of one -- it's dimensions are 20.7" x 19.3" x 8.3" (DxHxW)

1111205806ww2.jpg

cameraman said:
I’ve just had a Lian Li PC-S80 delivered last night and a GFG Tech 8800GTX is on a truck and out for delivery today. Based on the ruler picture earlier in this thread the card may be 1/8” too long for my case. The hard drive cage is sideways and I can’t see modifying it.

Are all the 8800 GTX cards identical in length? I measure 10.5 inches of room between the harddrive cage and inside case back, not including the tab. I hesitate to take the card out and find it won’t fit since it might make returning it difficult. Has anyone tested the PC-S80 or come up with a very accurate card measurement that tells me what I want to hear?

Thanks.

71052018.jpg

i was waiting for someone to post that picture!! fortunately i have already cancelled my order for the case as i had a bad feeling it wouldnt fit

basically the card PCB length is exactly 27 cm. (what is that in inches??) i.e. you have to measure from the back of the slot (NOT including the length of the tab)

looking at that... i probably wont fit.

edit : 10.5 inches = 26.67 cm (so it definitely wont fit... you are out but just a tiny bit) ?dremel time!??! lolzors

singsing said:
i was waiting for someone to post that picture!! fortunately i have already cancelled my order for the case as i had a bad feeling it wouldnt fit

basically the card PCB length is exactly 27 cm. (what is that in inches??) i.e. you have to measure from the back of the slot (NOT including the length of the tab)

edit : 10.5 inches = 26.67 cm (so it definitely wont fit... you are out but just a tiny bit) ?dremel time!??! lolzors

I hate to return it; it can't be more than 1/16" too long. Looks like a GTS will have to do.

71176656.jpg

singsing said:

the GTX is only 27 cm? (wow i thought it was obvious this was a mistake, what card could possibly be 27 inches? comon man)

then it clears the Antec P180B upper drive cage w/ a lil room to spare!

and umm, 27cm is 10 5/8". serisoly, you americans need to get off your lamewad asses and join the good system.

MrWizard6600 said:
the GTX is only 27 inches?

then it clears the Antec P180B upper drive cage w/ a lil room to spare!

and umm, 27cm is 10 5/8". serisoly, you americans need to get off your lamewad asses and join the good system.

lol... are you on crack?

i said 27 CM CM CM CM CM

not to mention im not american. (as you can see.. i didnt know how many cm to an inch)

to the orignal guy who owns the s80 : so it wont fit. i would get the GTX over GTS over the CASE!! keep the GTX and get a new case...

This is an excellent thread but I think it's kinda insane because if we all boycott the damn video card manufacturers to keep their cards within an acceptable dimension, then I’m sure they'll have no choice but to comply.
Why does it seem that we the customers are always put to the task to accommodate the manufacturer’s shortcomings in their products? :rolleyes:
I feel everyone's pain here, as I just bought a nice new mm bob slay case, and a evga i680 mothertherboard. Unfortunately the 8800gtx will not fit in it. :(
So I for one am not buying another case just to fit a lousy video card in my case! :mad:
DO you hear me NVIDIA?
Either bring your video cards into spec or lose my duckies forever! :eek:

People could try the old fashion way of just sending them a letter or email stating the need for smaller and better cards and not larger and better. Any company, that really cares about how their customers feel, that gets tons letters/email of griping is going to think seriously about this next time they design something.

Just a thought anyway. :cool:

How is it that CPUs keep consuming less power each generation and put out less heat, while the graphics card are doing the exact opposite?

Eagle156 said:
How is it that CPUs keep consuming less power each generation and put out less heat, while the graphics card are doing the exact opposite?

Two completely different things, with different purposes, and different architectures.

Kind of like how when you get more power out of a gas vehicle, you get less fuel mileage, whereas with a diesel you get more fuel mileage.

It's funny my shuttle P chasis can fit it, but will the power supply run it with 3 hard drives a swiftech micro water cooling system?

Hi to all

Can some one tell me if the chieftec LBX serie can hanble a 8800gtx video card? and the LCX serie? Which are the differents between the two series?

Thanks

Ugo

si0dine said:
Thanks man, are you able to take out those harddrive dividers easily so your PSU can fit?

The hard drive cages on the bottom and the psu divider are easily removable since Lian-Li used screws for them (smart). So theoretically you can install a 16" long psu. :eek:

{edit}

The 8800GTX does NOT fit into the Antec P150, unless you do a little modding.

Looks like a gtx should *just* fit in the new lian li pc b20.

A pretty close squeeze tho..

Astrogiblet said:
In case anybody is still wondering, the 8800gtx fits NICELY inside an Antec Nine Hundred.. just put mine in.. I have like 2 inches to spare, and if I moved my HDD bays out of the way I would have like 8 inches to spare. :)

Pics please.

ellover009 said:
Anyone knows if ill fit an Antec 1080amg?
Shouldn't be a problem. That's the standard Antec/Chenming/Chieftec "server tower" design. I've got two 8800GTXes in mine. The only thing you need to be careful of is to mount the hard drive in the upper slot in the hard drive cage (the cage with the 80mm fan mount).

Bladestorm said:
Anyone know if it fits the Enermax Chakra?

From my measurements it should fit. I took a tape measure and measured it in my Chakra and looks like I got a quater inch to maybe three-eights of an inch of leeway before it touches anything. I plan to take some cardboard and cut it to the 8800GTX measurements and see if it'll fit. I'm going to try and get that done today if I can after I run some errands. I'll report back my findings once I do it.

It fits in an Antec Solo with minimal modification. 3 out of 4 HD bays are still usable and the modification was minor enough that the fourth bay is still available should I go back to a shorter card.

I used a dremel with the fiberglass reinforced cut-off wheel. Think of a small stiff disk that cuts like a circular saw. The cuts are a little rough but it was hard to angle the dremel in there and I was eager to try out the new card.

EmptyCaseNotchLarge.jpg

CaseMB8800GTXLarge.jpg

UpCloseLarge.jpg

UpClose2Large.jpg

brownkc said:
It fits in an Antec Solo with minimal modification. 3 out of 4 HD bays are still usable and the modification was minor enough that the fourth bay is still available should I go back to a shorter card.

VERY nice. thank you.

i read about someone else who did this on another forum. he had no pics. But he said he had to also cut some sort of clip at the very rear of the case? where the outputs are. did you have any problems like that?

heres the link http://www.sharkyforums.com/showthread.php?t=292802

Sorry about the delay of my post but things got real busy the day before and I couldnt do what I wanted to. However I just finished checking the fittings of a 8800GTX inside a Chakra case. I took and cut a piece of stiff cardboard to the 8800GTX dimensions and it will fit a single card in the top PCIe slot of a P5W DH mobo. (This is as close to of a simulation as I can do without actually having the 8800GTX)

However it will not fit two 8800GTX in SLI unless you remove the lower drive rack or cut off 1/4 - 1/2 inches of the back of the lower rack. The lower drive rack would block the second GTX card. The lower hard drive rack on the Chakra however is easily removable so thats a plus. Its designed to be removed for hd installation. You would need to however put the harddrive/s elewhere. If its only one hd you got that shouldnt be a problem. Put it up in inside the next bay. Depending on the mobo the Chakra is capable of holding two 8800GTX in SLI if you remove the lower drive rack.

When putting the drive/s elsewhere remove the ability of the front 120mm fan to cool the hd but the fan would supply fresh air to the 2nd GTX card. Its a tradeoff but personally I'd rather cool a video card than a hd but thats just my opinion.

As a comparison my rig is a P5W DH mobo, 2Gb Corsair RAM, and a E6400 proc, and a 7600GT KO video card. I also have a Mitsumi 7-in-1 card reader and two BenQ 1655 DvD burners and I use a Zalman 9500 AT hsf on the proc. The hd I use is a Seagate 7200.10 259Gb unit. All this ispowered by a Seasonic S12 600w psu. Its a very cool and very quiet system setup.

I hope this info helps others. :)

Skott

Thanks for the pics, brownkc ! Post some close ups pics please. How did you cut that piece out, using wire snips, or a hacksaw?

anyone know about the thermaltake shark ?? I'd like to know before I go bust the money on it... Judging from all of your little paint skills, that card is massive... :p

kinson said:
anyone know about the thermaltake shark ?? I'd like to know before I go bust the money on it... Judging from all of your little paint skills, that card is massive... :p
I think it will fit with maybe a 1/4" of space left. But don't quote me on that.

Back