NVIDIA Stock Plummets

Vent it all out fellas (and ladies), nVidia deserves every last word. Then again, I really haven't had a reason to upgrade my video card since the 8800GTX was so far ahead of its time and the current hardware that the computer around it changed, but the video card didn't have to. It was strange to see the transition of single to dual core happen around a card without really effecting the card (and I mean literally, same cards, different names). Irony, considering that I went through 3 video card (upgrading;6600 vanilla, 6800GT and 7600GT) for Battlefield 2.

Sickburn, Kyle. Well done.

I'm still running an 8800GT and have seen nothing in NVIDIA lineup as of late that would make upgrade.

I have been in the "green" camp for last 6 years, ever since the GeForce 2 Ti days. However, it seems that nVIDIA's GPU's follow "1 great, 1 mediocre" trend.

GeForce 2 - great
GeForce 3 - meh
GeForce 4 - great as long as it was a Ti card.
GeForce 5xxx - terrible.
GeForce 6 - awesome. 6800GT was best card I've owned.
GeForce 7 - a giant meh.
GeForce 8 - Awesome.
GeForce 9 - meh.
GeForce 2xx - meh.

I'm glad I have all the great cards from NV and none of the others.
My 8800GTX still performs marvelously in anything cept Crysis (Nice tech demo btw :D)

While the article was sarcastic and very funny it definitely shows how serious Hard is when it comes to its reviews. There's no site I trust more to give me the "no BS dirt" I want when it comes to hardware. Time and time again Hard has proven its loyalty to the readers and not the hardware vendors. If NVIDIA can't appreciate this bluntness and loyalty to the readers, F them. Maybe if NVIDIA took some advice from Hard when it comes to their own customers their stock would be in better shape.

Danny

In society today where people dance around issues I love to see flat out blunt truth.

I'm still running 2 x 8800 GTX's and thanks to [H]ardOCP I've seen no reason to upgrade them quite yet.

Love the writeup, just love it.

Heh, I am still on 2 8800 GTs myself, and see no immediate need to upgrade. Hoping to hold out for DX11 based cards in the end. Most likely will be an ATI card this go around, but who knows.

I usually just get the best card(s) (price/performance balance) at the time when I am ready to upgrade.

Back on topic, I really cant stand when they do a "refresh" like this, and just rebrand old parts to continue selling them.

While the article was sarcastic and very funny it definitely shows how serious Hard is when it comes to its reviews. There's no site I trust more to give me the "no BS dirt" I want when it comes to hardware. Time and time again Hard has proven its loyalty to the readers and not the hardware vendors. If NVIDIA can't appreciate this bluntness and loyalty to the readers, F them. Maybe if NVIDIA took some advice from Hard when it comes to their own customers their stock would be in better shape.

Danny

why do you think i have been viewing the site since 97 (yes ik my forums date is 7.2 years) this site is the best

I've been waiting on this for a LOOOOOOONG time. I knew NV was gonna piss Kyle off eventually. Patience is golden. They launch some winners, no doubt, but they launch some real stinkers too. It was only a matter of time before one of those stinkers rubbed Kyle the wrong way and he popped his cork about it.

We need more opportunities like this to call out companies! ...the world would be a better place.

The best product should always win, not the product that was lied about.....errrr.....ummm......I mean, "marketed", the best.

nVidia deserves nothing less as their commuppance after ruining 3DFX. They took 3DFX's glorious SLI - Scan Line Interleave and morphed it into Scalable Link Interface. I loved my Voodoo 2. It was an AWESOME card for Quake 2. 800 x 600 Open GL with >60 fps all the time was awesome. Then a few months later I added another Voodoo 2 and my frame rate literally almost doubled, plus I could now run "higher" resolutions like 1024 x 768. The original SLI was awesome, something to be coveted. SLI as it is now is just a cheap bastardization of everything I once loved. Thanks nVidia.

You see that guy over at http://www.thedodgegarage.com/3dfx/ running doom3 on a Quantum3D V5-6000 system. Man that is some staying power those cards really did rock.

Switched to ATI (now AMD) on an HD4870, haven't even considered looking back. I was on an 8800GTS; the drivers had become so problematic, and multihead continued to be an abysmal failure. And managed to get worse every version. Add to this the "joy" of a Quadro NVS in my work laptop that has never worked anywhere near advertised performance despite numerous "fixes," and it's just another long overdue reaction.
Sony wishes their koolaid was as good as nV's. People keep their PS3s; Quadro customers are defecting as fast as they can.

doesnt surprise me with the recession going on that 3 months ago NOBODY admitted we were IN one..1 card though revamped over and over and over WOW thats amazing and to think at one time i thought my geforce TI 4200 and then 4600 was a different card OH Snap..I knew there WAS "some" reason why Ive like ATI( now amd) over these guys.I wont even mention that when hl2 came out the FX cards WERE dx 8 not even 9.0 as to why hl2 and ATI go well together :)

Every time Intel release a slightly faster chip it could be considered rebranded. Why is this such a sin for NVIDIA? It is like you guys expect every thing to be so much different in 6 mohths lol

Because there is a significant increase in performance, while these cards are being rebadged as a better card but yet provide almost the same performance.

My sister is getting my 8800GT and I'm getting a HD4850... oh wait that doesn't help them. :D

It seems to me that NVIDIA likes to cut its own balls off from time to time. I am most peeved at the cancellation of the old GTX 260, just when it was becoming a real value, and gamers had a real reason to buy one over an HD 4870. But no, they dumped it in favor of a "faster" (but not better) version that cost more than the competition but completely failed to deliver any reason for costing more.

And now, with the GTX 285 and GTX 280, it's the same story. If the only way they can make money is by shamming customers into buying old (cheap) technology, they seriously need to think about their business model.

Why exactly they gave the GTX 285 a new name and not the "new" GTX 260 is a mystery I think nobody will ever be able to solve.

I personally think the GTX 260 55nm that I just got for 200AR is not that bad consider I just sold my 8800GT for 85. Spending 115 from 8800gt to gtx 260 is pretty sweet upgrade cost.

Every time Intel release a slightly faster chip it could be considered rebranded. Why is this such a sin for NVIDIA? It is like you guys expect every thing to be so much different in 6 mohths lol

My big issue is that if they planned on rebranding these old cards, they should have done it immediately during the name change. Just release a big list that says these are the new names and here is our product lineup. Instead, now that they've got people thinking that the 200 series is new and faster than previous generations, they start rebranding all their old cards. Their goal should have been to improve the Nvidia brand, not use deceptive marketing tricks. This and not allowing online retailers to advertise their prices really shows which path Nvidia has chosen.

When you think of all this, are the first things that come to mind "Quality", "CUDA", or "Physx"?

Careful Kyle, some of these [H] readers think everything you say is gospel.

I believe you are also responsible for AMD stock falling to almost $2.00 per share today. I am sure that is due to that review you wrote on the Phenom II when it first came out. When are these companies going to learn not to let you test ANY of their products?

You guys have to face the facts--that with a 6 months product cycle the refresh is just that a slightly faster version that won't awe you but will give you a little bit more. Seems to me most here are acting like a 12 year old kids including [H] for dramatizing this whole front page thread! Just a tiny bit arogent to assume [H] could effect the stock market, common now... LOL

That was one of the funniest articles I read lately. Thanks, I needed a laugh after today.

As for the comment about what they are doing being no different then what Intel does, thats complete bull. Nvidia at best makes minor tweaks then renames nearly the same card to the current generation family. It would be the same thing as Intel relabeling all of the C2D chips to be i7 800s or something like that.

Just a tiny bit arogent to assume [H] could effect the stock market, common now... LOL
Just a tiny bit problematic to lack both sarcasm meters and spell-checkers.

You guys have to face the facts--that with a 6 months product cycle the refresh is just that a slightly faster version that won't awe you but will give you a little bit more. Seems to me most here are acting like a 12 year old kids including [H] for dramatizing this whole front page thread! Just a tiny bit arogent to assume [H] could effect the stock market, common now... LOL

The only thing that is funny if that you actually believed it. And obviously did not RTFA entirely. Turn that frown upside down there Sparky.

...HardOCP was not in any way responsible for NVIDIA's sharply falling stock price today.

NVIDIA doesn't have a 6 month product cycle anymore. They built their industry around that, but it is no longer viable or even necessary. We are 28 months away from G80s launch, and we've had 2 "new" product lines since then. That does not compute to a 6 month cycle.

Anyway, we simply don't have the games anymore to justify that rapid an expansion in GPU computing power. In addition, these GPUs have now become some of the most complex devices ever made, so the designs are simply no longer feasible to rethink twice per year.

The problem is that there is this expectation of a 6-month product cycle, so when NVIDIA and AMD resort to revisiting and rebranding old tech in order to push these things out the door in a schedule more in tune with gamers' perception than with reality, they cannot help but shoot themselves in the foot.

Also, maleficarus, check your sarcasm detector.

About the "lacking in the areas of PhysX, and CUDA":

Who fraking cares? If and only if these technologies effected my gaming performance, and they do not (yet?), I do not CARE. I do not come to HardOCP for information on random programming tech. I come for gaming performance. When we see significant benefits I would expect HardOCP to tell us. Oh and Mirror's Edge Badaboom a benefit? HAHAHhahahahhahaHA..... no.

Lastly, WTF. Rumor or not why would you "shut out" a review site because it may give you a bad review. Who knows? Maybe there's some pixie dust in them thar GPU!!! You'd think that the backlash from past marketing genius' would be a lesson.

How else could you separate a minor tweak to a card without re-naming it to the next generation family? Think about it for a second, if NVIDIA never renamed a card with some minor changes the consumer would have no way of possibly knowing the card is a refresh with changes made. There would be a shit load of Geforce8/9 cards some with smaller dies, some with more shaders other with less shaders some 128bit others 256bit Look at the whole picture here. A good example is the 9600GSO card vs. the 9600GT card. GSO is 192bit with 96 shaders. GT is 256bit with 64 shaders. The 8800GT is 256bit with 112 shaders correct? 8800GT draws more power using a bigger die causing more heat. It deserves to be an 8 series and the others 9 series. Naming the 9600GT an 8800GT makes no sense even though there similar in performance makes no sense imo.

Re-badging is absolutely shameful as the MAJORITY of consumers will get fooled into thinking they are getting a better product, when they are getting the same tech. Nvidia is not stupid, they KNOW that sticking some different model numbers on the same old model will probably net them MILLIONS of dollars and clear out inventory. It's the oldest, and
most misleading trick in the book, and it WORKS. It won't work on most of us, but
to the average joe-blow buying a video card, he will fall for it when he walks into Best Buy
and sees a spankin new "250" or whatever. Most of these cards are WAAAAY overpriced
anyway, $200-$500+ is a lot of loot for a video card as it is, and to scam you on top of
that is downright deceitful.

YOu know, I understand what they are talking about not covering physx. But guess what, [H] doesn't use any physx games in its testing suite.

I wonder why that is?

OH THAT'S RIGHT. There's really only one PC game out there that utilizes it; Mirror's Edge. (Which I love btw, and which physx really enhances) Additionally, it's a console port, which GTAIV has shown to be a bad idea to be used as a tester.

Kyle, just be careful and make sure nvidia doesn't cock-block you guys too much. I would hate to see [H] stop reviewing green cards.

after reading this, it is offcial. I am going back to ATI with me upgrading my dual 8800gt to a 4870 x2

At least the renaming is not as bad as the GTX260 super extreme +++, so Nvidia could sell the old GTX260 more easily.

Or renaming the 8800GTS to 9800GT.

Or selling 9800GT as 9800GT+ to deplete the old stock.

You know, I was just sitting here today thinking about upgrading my 8800GTS(G92) to something, I wasn't sure what but was just looking around and then I see this shit. No idea how I missed this...Sorry for the "where the hell have I been". I must be losing it.

I've never had an ATI card but maybe I should think about it....

Kyle

If you really wanted to add another layer of sarcasm / rub it in, change the 9800gtx+ link to an equivalent ATI based card.

... that'll really help out NVIDIA's stock price. :D

Bah, I bought NVDA in August when they dropped from $18 to $12 in ONE DAY, thinking for sure they'd turn it around by 1Q 2009. Then, the shit hit the giant fan-in-the-sky (wind generator?) and now my stock is worth a can of crap if not less.

Damnit.

w00t, go [H]ardOCP for rocking the boat!!!

I use to go with Nvidia but ever since I saw their ridiculous prices, heard about their re-branding, and blah blah. I switched to ATI I have never been happier with my decision to go with ATI. I currently have an HD 4870, now I am just drooling at what ATI can release next.

Shame on you Nvidia, trying to keep out [H], fools!! You should know [H] is greater than god!

As for the rebranding, that is just terrible, stop trying to fool people! If you need to fool people to get them to buy your products then you should really reconsider your business practices.

[Tripod]MajorPayne;1033739842 said:
Bah, I bought NVDA in August when they dropped from $18 to $12 in ONE DAY, thinking for sure they'd turn it around by 1Q 2009. Then, the shit hit the giant fan-in-the-sky (wind generator?) and now my stock is worth a can of crap if not less.

Damnit.

I did the same thing except with AMD. I wish I was you now, I think nvidia is in a much better position than AMD.

Kyle - Stick to your guns. I'm glad that you guys are helping keep companies accountable for trying to re-package recycled products.

It would seem that Intel has their Tic-Tock business model but Nvidia somehow is on a Zig-Zag business model. :)

I bought a 4870 last fall and I love it. The thing is the ATI line hasn't changed that much and it's what makes it great. But when Nvidia did the jump to 9800's and I thought "Oh cool" but when they went into the whole 2xx series shortly after, I thought that shit was off for some reason because it was coming out way too damn fast as if it was to counter the heat that was coming from the Radeon 4870's. But now that it's obviously rebranded cards, that explains it.

Kyle, how soon before a lawsuit is filed against you for inadvertently shifting the stock price on unwarranted and baseless lies? That's what the lawsuit will say in the nicest most politically correct speak their marketing department can muster.

Kyle my friend, you once again prove you are nobody's FanBoi.
Awesome bit of Satire.
I waited to buy a Phenom II because of your review, and now i'm in love with my 730 BE.

In a world where talk is cheap, and everyone has something to say, your words are worth a damn.
I think thats the best compliment I can give.

Back