NVIDIA Stock Plummets

Does this make it a bannable offense for buying a 9800gtx+??

Even worse, buying a 250?

lol... [H] is the bomb.

Hmm, wasn't this the same company that tried directly deceiving its customers by paying MadOnion (Futuremark) to fudge the performance numbers?

I will be building two new i7 home theater gaming computers in the next two weeks. Wonder what video cards I am going to choose...

I'm betting it's spelled starting with a "R" and ends with "adeon"... :p

Hah.

You don't F with the [H]. :cool:

My brother.

Sheeit.

...and LMAO at the article. Here's hoping that nVidia rebounds (or Intel gives ATI a run for their money) because competition is great--I think. ATI is pwning nVidia at this point but the prices on my 4850x2 keep dropping. That's just fun..

Sickburn, Kyle. Well done.

I'm still running an 8800GT and have seen nothing in NVIDIA lineup as of late that would make upgrade.

I have been in the "green" camp for last 6 years, ever since the GeForce 2 Ti days. However, it seems that nVIDIA's GPU's follow "1 great, 1 mediocre" trend.

GeForce 2 - great
GeForce 3 - meh
GeForce 4 - great as long as it was a Ti card.
GeForce 5xxx - terrible.
GeForce 6 - awesome. 6800GT was best card I've owned.
GeForce 7 - a giant meh.
GeForce 8 - Awesome.
GeForce 9 - meh.
GeForce 2xx - meh.

I can run Crysis at max settings at 1920x1200 on two GTX285s. I could never do that on any 8 or 9 series card. So not meh.

They all do it. No need to make a fuss about it. Those making a fuss, have an history of anti-NVIDIA posts, which is kind of funny, because less than a year ago, the same people were almost begging everyone to support AMD/ATI, because they were the underdog and competition was required. Now they all want NVIDIA to die...That's just how fanboys work, on both sides of the fence...completely irrational.

Its lame when both sides do it, they are just trying to take advantage of stupid consumers who always think higher number is better. Radeon 9200 was one of the worst examples on ATI's side and the GeForce 4MX was an atrocious attempt to market two generation old crap as current gen.

If the architecture doesn't change, they should keep the family name the same. Minor tweaks/speed differences can eaily be denoted by changes in numbering within the same family name.

in the end ATI buys Nvidia.

Do you know that the parent company of ATI is worth less than half of NVIDIA? AMD has a debt of close to $5 billion and has only $1 billion in cash, and is losing more than $1-billion A QUARTER? NVIDIA on the other hand has $1.2 billion in cash with virtually no debt, and is losing only $0.15 billion a quarter. ATI buying NVIDIA is less likely than NVIDIA buying AMD, which is already very unlikely.

Now, all ATI needs to do is release a monster-sized card, 8800GTX style.

NVIDIA would ask, where's the money? Your company doesn't have any money.

I guess what I'm getting at is, Nvidia stock price is in the shits. They are effectively ripe for a takeover at this point. If AMD/ATI could buy them or gain a significant share position, they could start to influence each other in unforeseen ways. However, if they tried to an all-oout acquisition of Nvidia, that would be interesting too. Even if they had the money.

I guess what I'm getting at is, Nvidia stock price is in the shits. They are effectively ripe for a takeover at this point. If AMD/ATI could buy them or gain a significant share position, they could start to influence each other in unforeseen ways. However, if they tried to an all-oout acquisition of Nvidia, that would be interesting too. Even if they had the money.

As much as NVIDIA's stock fell, the company as a whole is still worth more than double of what AMD is worth today. The shocking part is that AMD has more debt ($5B) than what NVIDIA is worth today (4B). AMD has no financial power to buy NVIDIA.

You're right that other companies, such as Intel, do. GIven the economy, however, I doubt even a rich company like Intel can justify spending $4B in cash. When the economy was good, around 2007, NVIDIA was once worth over $21B. So NVIDIA looks vulnerable to a takeover due to the economy, but due to the economy nobody is willing to attempt such a move.

NVidia is a great opportunity for gambling, it bottomed at $5.?? in Nov, went back up to over $10.?? and is coming down again.

Nothing like riding this bull for a solid 200-300% return over the course of the next year if you play the hi-lo buy-sell correctly.

Want safe... buy IBM... its been rock solid even through the worst of this mess. Want to gamble on high returns, play with Intel/NV/AMD.

This thread reminds me that I need to tell my friend to stay away from this card. He has a 8800gt and Its almost a lock that he would buy a 250 thinking it will be a lot faster (Nvidia fanboy). It makes me mad because both companies with thier stupid naming schemes are pushing people away from PC gaming, meaning less games for me in the end. Its getting to the point that you have to be a fanatic like myself to even figure out what an upgrade looks like. The techinical barriers for PC gaming have to get smaller, not bigger.

I actually like BOTH companies, and they have BOTH had their ups and downs.
I am pulling for ATI though, just to give Nvidia the well-needed opposition, or ALL
of our video cards are going to be much more than what they are now if there was no competition.

When they re badge these cards, it's DOES take advantage of the unknowing consumer,
which is what they are counting on, and I would say MOST consumers have no idea
about what they are buying. They are not all [H] like we are. :p

couple of things come to mind as I read this. A tear rolled down my face as I read Kyle's commentary. You hanging with and crushing the big boys at will. He get's it after me ya know!! :)

Seriously, Nvidia isn't driving the bus at this point and if they make threats, they're comical at best. And only to serve to reveal just how insecure they really are. It really is pathetic sometimes how NV thinks they can take their crosshairs and point at anyone they want, so frivolously, they find themselves dead center in their own CH.

The rebranding the older tech really pisses me off. It's almost dishonest in a way. I just imagine those consumers who go to Best Buy and see higher model cards and pay out the ass for old technology.

A voodoo 2 is old tech. What they are rebranding belongs to them, they built it, they can do what they want with it. Its not like we dont have the internet to look up benchmarks. If it sucks for the money (with the power for money you get nowadays i doubt it) it wont sell. How in the hell is it dishonest, they make money, its what they do.

It pisses me off you asked for that raise last year. Why cant you just work and be happy?:rolleyes:

This thread reminds me that I need to tell my friend to stay away from this card. He has a 8800gt and Its almost a lock that he would buy a 250 thinking it will be a lot faster (Nvidia fanboy). It makes me mad because both companies with thier stupid naming schemes are pushing people away from PC gaming, meaning less games for me in the end. Its getting to the point that you have to be a fanatic like myself to even figure out what an upgrade looks like. The techinical barriers for PC gaming have to get smaller, not bigger.

Yeah really we should mandate all PC cost 100$ and no more, that way everything is fair......

A voodoo 2 is old tech. What they are rebranding belongs to them, they built it, they can do what they want with it. Its not like we dont have the internet to look up benchmarks. If it sucks for the money (with the power for money you get nowadays i doubt it) it wont sell. How in the hell is it dishonest, they make money, its what they do.

It pisses me off you asked for that raise last year. Why cant you just work and be happy?:rolleyes:

I don't quite see it that way, yes it is marketing but somewhat dishonest marketing. it is deliberately designed to give an impression that is not true. not to mention that it is directed at people that either will not look up benchmarks or would not know how / what to look for / or the easily fooled. While they may have every legal right to do so you should not expect the customers, esp the people at H that know better, to respect their decision to do so.

I am getting the impression from Nvidia that they learned NOTHING from that last round of consumer backlash that happened with the launch of the 4800 series. The customers knew they were being milked and it came back to haunt them. Say what you will about market conditions, customer relations and public perception have always been important, nvidia seems to forget this.

I don't quite see it that way, yes it is marketing but somewhat dishonest marketing. it is deliberately designed to give an impression that is not true. not to mention that it is directed at people that either will not look up benchmarks or would not know how / what to look for / or the easily fooled. While they may have every legal right to do so you should not expect the customers, esp the people at H that know better, to respect their decision to do so.

I am getting the impression from Nvidia that they learned NOTHING from that last round of consumer backlash that happened with the launch of the 4800 series. The customers knew they were being milked and it came back to haunt them. Say what you will about market conditions, customer relations and public perception have always been important, nvidia seems to forget this.

Yep. I generally stick with BFG, Visiontek & Asus (& sometimes EVGA) when it comes to video cards. They really have made me some good ones. I am sold on those companies and the support and quality I have received from them (minus two EVGA rebates I sent in plenty early but never received). It's too bad they can only make what nVidia (or ATI) will let them make. It would be nice for some more competition to come in and keep things honest. Two choices are better than one, but three would be even better for consumers.

With ATI back in the game they will need to use every dishonest tactic they can. My 4870 should be on it's way right now. :D

Vent it all out fellas (and ladies), nVidia deserves every last word. Then again, I really haven't had a reason to upgrade my video card since the 8800GTX was so far ahead of its time and the current hardware that the computer around it changed, but the video card didn't have to. It was strange to see the transition of single to dual core happen around a card without really effecting the card (and I mean literally, same cards, different names). Irony, considering that I went through 3 video card (upgrading;6600 vanilla, 6800GT and 7600GT) for Battlefield 2.

I couldn't agree more!!!!

I felt a bit shortchanged after the 6800gt to 7800gt SLI...

Then came the 8800gtx smoking BOTH of the 7800gt's and at just under
HALF of what I spent on the 7800gt's.

I feel almost vindicated. Still running the 8800gtx, with no need to upgrade
to this day...3 years later!

(further...that little transgression broke me of being on the "bleeding edge" game,
so I'm somewhat appreciative of their practices -It WONT happen again!!!)

That's not what sarcasm is. But yes I know this is an attempt to get your message about NVIDIA not giving you hardware out without seeming bitter by masking it in a stock market joke.

Of course you have access to the product, even if it's just from retail. The point was just that instead of letting things be and opting to not review the board (since you said you didn't want to anyway) you made this post to fire people up and make them angry when they don't really know what happened or why. As far as I can tell, most people here see you saying that you refused to review the board and shoved it in NVIDIA's face to spite them for rebranding, when I don't think that is what has happened at all.

Obviously the stock thing was a joke, but I'm not even talking about that here. I'm talking about the fact that you posted this implies that you have an agenda here. I can't say definitively what your rationale here is, but anyone who was completely happy and fine with ignoring the product wouldn't have posted this in the first place. Clearly something else is up.

Clearly? Clearly your guessing out of your butt. I saw this explosion coming a mile away, you'd have to be stupidly blind to not have expected this very scenario. I was actually wondering why it hadn't happened yet. Rebranding the same chip twice is beyond acceptability, it's downright deceptive and it HAD to piss Kyle off.

The only thing that the word "clearly" applies to here is your suspicion being clearly based on some need to troll for attention. There is no underlying anything going on here. This was a totally foreseeable event and calling it anything else is silliness and wasting a perfectly funny thread with unnecessary nastiness.

That's not what sarcasm is. But yes I know this is an attempt to get your message about NVIDIA not giving you hardware out without seeming bitter by masking it in a stock market joke.

Of course you have access to the product, even if it's just from retail. The point was just that instead of letting things be and opting to not review the board (since you said you didn't want to anyway) you made this post to fire people up and make them angry when they don't really know what happened or why. As far as I can tell, most people here see you saying that you refused to review the board and shoved it in NVIDIA's face to spite them for rebranding, when I don't think that is what has happened at all.

Obviously the stock thing was a joke, but I'm not even talking about that here. I'm talking about the fact that you posted this implies that you have an agenda here. I can't say definitively what your rationale here is, but anyone who was completely happy and fine with ignoring the product wouldn't have posted this in the first place. Clearly something else is up.

an agenda? sure he did, he was pointing out just how stupid Nvidia is acting lately. and as far as not sending him hardware do you really think that he could not get one? even rebranded? Anyways WHY would he need one? he HAS to have some 9800GTX+ cards laying around. He could just use those. and if he was going to follow an agenda how hard to you think it would be to post a review (hell just link to the old one, whats changed?) and post it against an lower cost ATI card to embarrass it? Sorry Nvidia is going over the top here and deserve to have some fun poked at them.

...i built my first PC almost 20 years ago, and several more since then... and (by choice) NEVER had a Nvidia card...... everyday i wonder why... :rolleyes:

[H] thank you for defending the truth.

^^^

"ATI Radeon HD 4230" = ati2mtag_RV610, PCI\VEN_1002& DEV_95C5
"ATI Radeon HD 4230 " = ati2mtag_RV610, PCI\VEN_1002& DEV_95C5
"ATI Radeon HD 4250" = ati2mtag_RV610, PCI\VEN_1002& DEV_95C5
"ATI Radeon HD 4250 " = ati2mtag_RV610, PCI\VEN_1002& DEV_95C5
"ATI Radeon HD 4250 " = ati2mtag_RV610, PCI\VEN_1002& DEV_95C0
"ATI Radeon HD 4570 " = ati2mtag_RV630, PCI\VEN_1002& DEV_9598
"ATI Radeon HD 4580" = ati2mtag_RV630, PCI\VEN_1002& DEV_9598
"ATI Radeon HD 4730 " = ati2mtag_RV630, PCI\VEN_1002& DEV_9505
"ATI Radeon HD 4730 " = ati2mtag_RV630, PCI\VEN_1002& DEV_9505
"ATI Radeon HD 4750" = ati2mtag_RV630, PCI\VEN_1002& DEV_9505
"ATI Radeon HD 4750 " = ati2mtag_RV630, PCI\VEN_1002& DEV_9505

and the new 47x0 brand is as well based on RV63x brand.

Does this mean 3650 = 4750? Sounds even worse than what Nvidia is doing.
only an nvidiot can believe such things rv630 will be and 4750 while there is hd4670 which can crap on it :rolleyes: lol

Clearly? Clearly your guessing out of your butt. I saw this explosion coming a mile away, you'd have to be stupidly blind to not have expected this very scenario. I was actually wondering why it hadn't happened yet. Rebranding the same chip twice is beyond acceptability, it's downright deceptive and it HAD to piss Kyle off.

The only thing that the word "clearly" applies to here is your suspicion being clearly based on some need to troll for attention. There is no underlying anything going on here. This was a totally foreseeable event and calling it anything else is silliness and wasting a perfectly funny thread with unnecessary nastiness.

No guesses, only facts from me. Kyle has been upset with NVIDIA for quite some time and has been making derogatory posts about them for a while. I'm sorry to rain on your parade but it's a fact of life. Even those who idolize this kind of mentality will end up banned when you step out of line. Enjoy being lied to.

WOW! This thread has turned out to be pretty entertaining for when your stuck at work with limited web access! Keep it up! ;)

No guesses, only facts from me. Kyle has been upset with NVIDIA for quite some time and has been making derogatory posts about them for a while. I'm sorry to rain on your parade but it's a fact of life. Even those who idolize this kind of mentality will end up banned when you step out of line. Enjoy being lied to.

HAHAHA! Facts? More like wishful thinking. Nothing you said was factual, it was all guesswork since you cannot prove one iota of it. What is YOUR definition of fact? My definition is something that can be proven. Kyle has given Nvidia TOO much of a chance in my opinion and it was too long in the coming that he lay into them about this. Your the one who obviously enjoys being lied to since your defending the company who is doing all the lying, Nvidia. Rebranding the same product twice as 2 newer generations then it really is shows who the liar is. Don't tell me to enjoy being lied to when your the one lapping up the piss Nvidia feeds you.

Sounds to me thy trying to shift out old stock and renaming them like thy new.

Its sad to think nvidia would do that and add's more to bad press

HAHAHA! Facts? More like wishful thinking. Nothing you said was factual, it was all guesswork since you cannot prove one iota of it. What is YOUR definition of fact? My definition is something that can be proven. Kyle has given Nvidia TOO much of a chance in my opinion and it was too long in the coming that he lay into them about this. Your the one who obviously enjoys being lied to since your defending the company who is doing all the lying, Nvidia. Rebranding the same product twice as 2 newer generations then it really is shows who the liar is. Don't tell me to enjoy being lied to when your the one lapping up the piss Nvidia feeds you.

Just pay no attention to BlueStorm. I try to give everyone a fair shake, and to at least attempt at seeing the world from their point of view. I know I can be awful stubborn myself ...

But BlueStorm just loves pissing in to the wind, at least on this thread. If he enjoys his own pee in the face, let's just let him do his thing and put him on ::ignore::

Sounds to me thy trying to shift out old stock and renaming them like thy new.

Its sad to think nvidia would do that and add's more to bad press

I'm a nvidia fanboy and they started doing this shit awhile ago with the 8 series going all the way in the 9's. It was bullshit then, it's bullshit now. Like I said, whoever is running their marketing dept. needs pull the cock n' balls from their butts and start pushing for new product. Not rebrand, newly named, same old same old.

Back