nvidia's "Community Outreach" targets Forums

There has to be a way to match multiple accounts to IPs. It wouldn't tell you for sure, but it sure would narrow it down a bit. And then with a little bit more research into it...

Does everyone here believe everything they read? And even if someone is trying to convey a point where marketing dollars are the cause, there will be 10 times more people coming at that guy from the other side of the argument...not only for the alternate view, but just becuase some ppl just love to debate/argue.

I think it is a moot point. Seriously, unless someone is trying to provide a fix for someone elses problem, people take other posters posts as opinion not fact.

Let's say some one posted some specs on rumored nex-gen cards. Everyone on these forums would call BS. Hell they would probably have already typed the letters BS, and were clicking on the Submit Reply button before they even finished reading the original post.

It's the idea that bothers people...trouble is, no one really takes anyone around here seriously when it comes to "xxxx is better becuase"...most people just tell' them to shove it

sac_tagg said:
There were several people on here that are now banned, but I have long suspected them of doing just this.

Why are you bumping month old threads?

nobi125 said:
Why are you bumping month old threads?
2 month old threads. :p

It's on the front page of that hard-something site.

PRIME1 said:
And ATI does not do this?

I think ATi tries to influence the community by more direct involvement. Several ATi employees post openly on major message boards (including this one). Public posting seems to be against nVidia's policy for some reason...which seems silly given the tactics they're now employing...

what i find interesting is i couldnt find any discussion about this article at the nvidia forums, or at nvnews. maybe someone tried and the threads got deleted.

makes ya love a [H]ardforum doesnt it?

ok, let the communist style mole hunt begin. Accuse some one or its off to the Gulag for you!

emailthatguy said:
they stuck it in hardware rumor mill? /boggle
That looks like the most appropriate forum. AEG relates to nvidia. "Open Forum" is for off-topic posts (non-video card related).

ludachaz said:
ok, let the communist style mole hunt begin. Accuse some one or its off to the Gulag for you!
There is a special circle in hell for the guerilla marketer.

But, I think that a reasonably smart person can see the good sites and filter through the bullshit. I mean, I have GameSpy in my bookmarks toolbar folder and I check it everyday, but I don't take their reviews to heart at all (their previews aren't bad, and their reviews aren't totally terrible): I mash by checking up on shacknews, here, anandtech, the tech report, engadget, mnsbc, something awful, etc. I think that you can get a good picture of the day, and the tech, by synthesizing all your sources - most times as I read MSNBC in one window, I read Al-jazerra in the other (not at work though, I'd probably be in Leavenworth) I think that's what college actually taught me, so maybe it wasn't a waste: read a few books and make up your own mind. I feel sorry for those that lack the equipment to critically think (not that college is the only place to learn that, mind you), because they are the most taken advantage of. But enough of my bragging. I think that the shrill is a total dick.

Sorry, but I also think that if you can’t smell him coming, you partly deserve it.

Greetings! :D This is in no way a negative for nVidia! This a bold opportunity for their advocates to reach out to our community, creating a more informed buying market, and empowering us to make the most accurate purchasing decisions! All of us should take advantage of these forum desireables we've been blessed with and learn from them all that can be learned! Go nVidia!

Fooshnik said:
Greetings! :D This is in no way a negative for nVidia! This a bold opportunity for their advocates to reach out to our community, creating a more informed buying market, and empowering us to make the most accurate purchasing decisions! All of us should take advantage of these forum desireables we've been blessed with and learn from them all that can be learned! Go nVidia!

Fooshnik said:
Greetings! :D This is in no way a negative for nVidia! This a bold opportunity for their advocates to reach out to our community, creating a more informed buying market, and empowering us to make the most accurate purchasing decisions! All of us should take advantage of these forum desireables we've been blessed with and learn from them all that can be learned!
Screw that!

How do I get a free video card? Mine's getting so old they are going to have to carbon date it.

PRIME1 said:
Screw that!

How do I get a free video card? Mine's getting so old they are going to have to carbon date it.

Carbon dating only works on organic matter ;) *L*

Terra...

^eMpTy^ said:
I think ATi tries to influence the community by more direct involvement. Several ATi employees post openly on major message boards (including this one). Public posting seems to be against nVidia's policy for some reason...which seems silly given the tactics they're now employing...

hahaha so true...

I got chastised by my boss at nvidia back in 2001 when I worked for them. It wasn't really a formal reprimand, just a "don't post in any forums nor indicate you are an nvidia employee"...

I have friends whom I went to school with and work at ATI, they post on forums and boards BUT, they are quite secretive on the fact they are from ATI. It seems as though they are also clamping down on anyone that can leak stuff...

Eh, I don't have too much of a problem witht his kind of advertising. Most of my opinions are from reading massive posts of different people, reading reviews from [H] and the others, and looking at the price for myself.

This is still something to be aware of though.

^eMpTy^ said:

NV just prefers professionals :)
But indeed, especially on beyond3d.com there are quite a few ATi employees. But they tend to just stick to technical talk. Richard Huddy I think is the one who spreads the most dubious information, but he generally goes through interviews and such, and not through forums.

heatlesssun said:
The truth of the matter is that we live in a society that programs us 24/7 to consume. It doesn't really matter where you are, your economic status, your sexual orientation, your immigration status, race or gender, the world is sending you messges in way or another to consume without pause.

So where is objective truth in all of this? Who knows. The thing is at least in an online environment, claims can be scrutinized and challenged. As long as ALL are allowed to speak freely, then this isn't necessarily a bad thing. From that point, it is up to the individual to draw conclusions.

This is why, more than ever, freedom of speech is absolutely critical. All "facts" and opinions can't be paid for and be free of bias. There must be counterbalance.

As long as ideas are challenged, I think we're okay. But the moment the flow of information is "edited", wer'e in trouble.

yes - what he said. :)

Brent_Justice said:
Being that we get hardware from all camps and can chose what we want to run in our own rigs we have a very un-biased opinion on what we like to game with. We simply go for what is the best at a given time.

When 3DFX was king, I was there, when ATI was king with the R3xx, I was there, when NV was king with the GF6/7 series, I was there. With the intro of the X1900 XTX, I'm here. Who will be next? Only time will tell! Whoever gives me the best gameplay experience believe you me I'll be ALL over it! Cause i'm a gamer at heart, I want what gives me the best gaming experience.

you forgot Nvidia ramping up to the GeForce throne with the Riva chip... and I know you were there for those also. ;)

EDIT: sorry - dble post..

Scali said:
NV just prefers professionals :)
But indeed, especially on beyond3d.com there are quite a few ATi employees. But they tend to just stick to technical talk. Richard Huddy I think is the one who spreads the most dubious information, but he generally goes through interviews and such, and not through forums.
Because they want the information to be in magazines. If they spill the beans on the forums, they don't get the interview. This happened with the game Tribes Vengeance. The devs talked on Tribalwar, but didn't really say much, other than to try and be comedians. It made a lot of people mad, including myself, which is why I didn't buy the game. The devs told us they wouldn't give any details, because they wanted the magazine interviews. The problem, there was a complete disconnect with the fans.

I don't get the cries of "foul". We are so bombarded by popups, commercials, banner ads, etc., that marketing is going to have to get more creative (see the DVR/commercials/placed ads discussions). I just don't understand why everybody is sticking up for the "little guy" here. If Joe Consumer buys a crappy product because he was wrongly recommended by a nvidia paid forum f4nboy then he got what he deserved. Anybody who buys something based on one person's opinion is foolish. Natural selection, if you ask me.
Big companies are going to have to use "guerilla marketing" to survive, because at this point we basically don't pay any attention to traditional ads (sorry Monarch, Newegg, and Google).

Also, something tells me that, if these people are doing their jobs correctly, we will never know who they are. nVidia doesn't want venom-spewing crusaders running around crucifying anybody who makes a positive claim about a competitors product like so many here seem to be. Instead, these people are probably trusted members of the online communities, and most likely are able to intelligently and politely defend and promote their employers' products.

I dont have any issue with NV and ATI employee's...esp engineers... online openly. Its a great way to help consumers and a very inexpensive customer service path, as well as a good way to keep an eye out for engineering/manufacturing problems that might make it past Q+A. Invaluable for both sides.

But the stealth marketing BS type effort, thats what makes it clear... NEVER believe anything you read on an onlie forum that can't be verified directly by yourself. Always take OPINION with a grain of salt. Dont be duped by guerilla marketing tactics. A fool FOOL and his money.....

Be a smart consumer, not a drone.

The major beef I have with this type of marketing is that it costs moeny -> the products will be more expensive. In the end, there are some unbiased reviews, which is "marketing that matters" to me. I would rather pay $20-$40 less per card and not deal with the marketing junk.

On another note, we are all aware that marketing is key to a business' success, so I understand why some/ most/ all HW companies would try their best to influence public oppinion.

[edit] As a XXX shareholder, I would wonder if this type of marketing is really efficient, i.e. cheaper than other forms. If not, I would talk to management about this issue. If 'shill'-ing is more efficient, then XXX needs to focus on that more.

xX_Jack_Carver_Xx said:
I dont have any issue with NV and ATI employee's...esp engineers... online openly. Its a great way to help consumers and a very inexpensive customer service path, as well as a good way to keep an eye out for engineering/manufacturing problems that might make it past Q+A. Invaluable for both sides.

But the stealth marketing BS type effort, thats what makes it clear... NEVER believe anything you read on an onlie forum that can't be verified directly by yourself. Always take OPINION with a grain of salt. Dont be duped by guerilla marketing tactics. A fool FOOL and his money.....

Be a smart consumer, not a drone.
QFT
drizzt81 said:
The major beef I have with this type of marketing is that it costs moeny -> the products will be more expensive.
Companies would love nothing more than to not have to advertise. They would be perfectly happy splitting the difference with us with the money they save on ads, but the unfortunate fact is, ads are a part of business.

[LG]BLaRG said:
Hmm, I remember about a year and a half ago, ATI doing some guerilla marketing out in the open, for all to see.

It was at a LAN and they had an 'attendee' come up for their new ATI card they won as a prize. The only hitch was they had to DESTROY their current Nvidia card in front of the audience.

Fast forward to a different LAN that Nvidia was now sponsoring. They had a contest for those with older ATI cards to participate in. The winner was instructed to bring his ATI card up to the stage with him to collect his Nvidia prize. Some shouted, 'rip it apart' and 'break it'. The Nvidia rep then responded with a polite 'no, we are going to give his ATI card away to the person with the worst/oldest video card in the room'. Which they did. I thought it was presented very classy and not like the ATI folks did with the same oppertunity. I used to be a HUGE ATI fan untill witnessing these types of things. Oh, and, ATI drivers suck!

you're one of them aren't you?

I believe that ATI(TM) has always given the better bang for the buck, and as far as value goes, you should always buy ATI(TM). I'm no !!!!!!, having an nvidia card listed in my sig, and have a long listing of unrelated posts to prove that fact, but ATI(TM) does appear to be the better company to send your money to. Please make sure to pay cash when possible, as check and money order are not as reliable.

Subliminal Msg: Buy ATI

serbiaNem said:
I believe that ATI(TM) has always given the better bang for the buck, and as far as value goes, you should always buy ATI(TM). I'm no !!!!!!, having an nvidia card listed in my sig, and have a long listing of unrelated posts to prove that fact, but ATI(TM) does appear to be the better company to send your money to. Please make sure to pay cash when possible, as check and money order are not as reliable.

Subliminal Msg: Buy ATI
Nice! LOL

i also frequent the avsforums forum (heh) alot cause i am looking to soon buy a projector. In the forum i have seen alot of interaction with this engineer guy from infocus. He doesn't pimp their products at all (everyone else is more than happy to do that it seems) but as they are launching a new product, lots of people have questions (on your new in76, whats the rec. projection distance, vertical shift, blah blah) and this guy goes and helps people out, gives them all the details, some background how they came to make their projector the way they did.

Thats awesome. (based on all I have read (reviews from several sites), peoples opinions, that engineer, plus armed with all this knowledge, going off and actually demoing the product, I am gonna buy this projector)

But if its your standard OMG, NV is teh suck, ATI FTW, then I think most people see through it. Plus its time to just get a bit smarter and cultivate your bullshit detector.

To quote Jello Biafra

"At a young age my parents help me cultivate my bullshit detector. We'd be watching TV and a comerical would come on for detergant and my dad would go

"You know son, that woman isn't really that excited about detergant, detergant isn't that exciting, she's trying to SELL you detergant."

and I would go "aahhhh". And then you start applying that to all aspects of life and then shit really gets wild"

Its true for the forum posts, I find it hard to get so emotional over these things (its JUST a fucking video card), so a quick clicky, check their previous posts, note their history and move on. Quick, easy, effective.

This is nothing new, As far as I can tell there are pimps for all sorts of products all over the various forums. Just look at the memory pimps that live and breath on a certain "X" forum. :rolleyes:

If true...this amounts to disregard for everyone ..competitors , customers included ... that too when you're making VPU's that already compete with the best... tsk tsk Nvidia ...

i havent bought nvidia card in (geforce3)years and i dont see that changing anytime soon ,

and whoever sais that nvidia is the best is a fool

bobrownik said:
i havent bought nvidia card in years and i dont see that changing anytime soon ,

and whoever sais that nvidia is the best is a fool
I'm not sure if this post is off-topic (since this isn't about one's personal opinion of ATI, nVidia, or whoever) or simply exemplifies the point that ATI could be doing the same.

I couldn't read through 6 pages but perhaps I am the first to admit.. I am the nv shill! :D

My 6800 GT kicks ati's butt!!

Back