nvidia's "Community Outreach" targets Forums

Okay, but now what if this whole NVIDIA "Community Outreach" simply isn't true, but is a hoax that is set up and being spread on the forums by ATi's "Community Outreach" program? :)

Scali said:
Okay, but now what if this whole NVIDIA "Community Outreach" simply isn't true, but is a hoax that is set up and being spread on the forums by ATi's "Community Outreach" program? :)
LOL I'm starting to expect Mel Gibson to pop out of nowhere with his eyelids taped open at any moment... LOL

it doesnt bother me that much because i dont take fellow forum users word as the end all be all answer on anything

Molingrad said:
it doesnt bother me that much because i dont take fellow forum users word as the end all be all answer on anything

I'll make sure to do the exact same thing.

Sure we are! I'm gathering straw and wood for the fires now.

So if it is not true that nVidia uses shilling then what does AEG really do for them?

Ominous Gamer said:
I smell witch hunt, and I don't think [H] is doing anything postive to help. :rolleyes:

Exactly, all the tech forums are turning into witch hunts. If anyone posts something positive about a company it's always "You're getting to paid to say that, I know by your post history." I personally don't think this whole controversy should change anything. You should ALWAYS take what other people say with a grain of salt. It doesn't matter if they're getting paid or not. If you want to know what a product is like, try it out for yourself.

phatfong said:
So if it is not true that nVidia uses shilling then what does AEG really do for them?

AEG's response is here

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/40689

AEG has found that monitoring forums and reporting to NVIDIA problems, bugs or fixes mentioned by members of the online community is a far more honest and effective way for NVIDIA to be aware of the needs of its customers. It is not our goal to direct public opinion; we monitor discussion in the community as a way to seek feedback from consumers, be it positive or negative, so NVIDIA can improve its current and future products. It is the ongoing opinions of the hardware community that direct the hardware vendors, not the other way around.

Ominous Gamer said:
I smell witch hunt, and I don't think [H] is doing anything postive to help. :rolleyes:

Sorry for bringing some notice to a hot topic being widely discussed. I will make sure to do our best to draw attention away from it next time. :rolleyes: This makes us ATI biased today....right?

None of this surprises me really. I noticed it kick into high gear around the FX5800 vs 9700Pro days.

ChrisRay did post a lot of help but didn't post on threads that ask for what video card should I buy. I have a lot of respect for ChrisRay and still do. Some of the others that are coming out is another thing like Rollo. Rollo did come out tonight that he is a member of AEG and he has been heavly marketing on many fourms and even got members at AT banned when he was accused of being a AEG member and asked AT mod to ban the ppl for spreding lies about him being a member of AEG. The third person is Charlnoch and he is no were near Rollo but up there with ChrisRay and respectable.

I still waiting of Ruined to confess.

SnipingWaste said:
ChrisRay did post a lot of help but didn't post on threads that ask for what video card should I buy. I have a lot of respect for ChrisRay and still do. Some of the others that are coming out is another thing like Rollo. Rollo did come out tonight that he is a member of AEG and he has been heavly marketing on many fourms and even got members at AT banned when he was accused of being a AEG member and asked AT mod to ban the ppl for spreding lies about him being a member of AEG. The third person is Charlnoch and he is no were near Rollo but up there with ChrisRay and respectable.

I still waiting of Ruined to confess.

What a load of crap.

I posted that I knew people at nVidia and AEG and have been a beta tester for them. I also said no one asked me to post anything, which they didn't.
As far as the people getting banned, they violated their TOS of service with personal attacks. They didn't just say "Mr Rollo, I'm concerned you may be one of these AEG folk".

Don't misquote me.

This whole thing is almost surreal...

I don't approve of McCarthy style witch hunts like those at anandtech, but it's just wild that the accusations turned out to be true.

I suppose "shill" will be the new insult thrown out in every forum flame fest from now on, and it will have to be banned, just like f anboy was.

Rollo said:
What a load of crap.

I posted that I knew people at nVidia and AEG and have been a beta tester for them. I also said no one asked me to post anything, which they didn't.
As far as the people getting banned, they violated their TOS of service with personal attacks. They didn't just say "Mr Rollo, I'm concerned you may be one of these AEG folk".

Don't misquote me.
Give it up Rollo. You have been caught in your many lies on many forums. The only thing fitting for you is to be banned for not disclosing your motivation on these forums. I hope Kyle does the right thing considering you have been providing free advertising for NV for some time at the cost of his bandwidth.

At least everyone knows the truth about you, FINALLY.

edit: you think adding Nvidia beta tester to your sig makes it right? Why don't you put your real position?

Rollo said:
What a load of crap.

Don't misquote me.

Here you go your own words.
quote:
Originally posted by: linkgoron
Oh, what does QFP mean?

quote: Rollo
It means Quoted For Permanence, because the last four "smart guys" who threw that "Wah- you're an AEG !!!!!! stuff" at me were banned, forced to remove it.

I wanted to be sure the mods could see just how "clever" you are Linkgoron! Take it as a compliment!

http://forums.anandtech.com/message...eyword=&STARTPAGE=3&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

I admit that I've been making posts on behalf of 3DFX to promote the liquidation of their old products. Sorry :(

LOL!
Ahh, this crap has to stop though.
I wonder if Rollo is just a massive Fan boy or a AEG payroll bafoon....

hmm i seriously dont like this community outreach thing. to me its a cheap and cheezy way of getting more sales by having people "inflate" reviews, that or being biased *same thing.. kinda*. plus the fact that the people are getting paid for it? please correct me if im wrong, but that kinda bugs me. i suppose my next video card is gonna be ATI, im not gonna support nvidia for this.

I worked for 3Dfx doing the same thing. We were part of the "Voodoo Crew". What a great job - got lots of free goodies too.

altho it is obvious that nvidia is only in business to steal our money by paying people to lie about inferior products, and ati is only in business to ensure that everyone gets great graphics at a low privce, i dont think this latest earth shaking event will influence my next vid card purchase. just as some guy posting in a forum has never influenced my next vid card purchase, either.

GilmourD said:
LOL I'm starting to expect Mel Gibson to pop out of nowhere with his eyelids taped open at any moment... LOL

Funny enough I was thinking about that movie aswell, when I wrote that :)
And ofcourse "Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean I'm wrong" :)

vanilla_guerilla said:
altho it is obvious that nvidia is only in business to steal our money by paying people to lie about inferior products, and ati is only in business to ensure that everyone gets great graphics at a low privce, i dont think this latest earth shaking event will influence my next vid card purchase.

Yes, the way you said that, kinda threw me off, then I noticed the 7800 SLI config in your sig :)

Are people who are in the progam, going to be banned? There are a few who have admitted to it, and who are registered and post here. Personally, I wouldnt let them post more of their agenda on any forum.

I don't see why they should be banned just for having some kind of agreement with NVIDIA (judging from what ChrisRay said, they are not even paid, and they are not instructed to post on forums at all).
Heck, there are probably worse !!!!!!s that have no agreement with NVIDIA or ATi at all. Let's concentrate on banning those first ;)

People are suprized by this? Programs like this have been done for ages. Just now they don't have pay writers for papers/mag's/anything else that gets read alot they can pay someone a low wage to do what used to cost alot.

Taking hardware, and other things behind "closed doors", and then told to share their expierences with the public, hardly seems impartial. This sort of stuff is not allowed in other professions, for a reason. I see them as bribs. Its obvious some of these posters have a real agenda. Misleading the public with a one-sided agenda is not something I would allow on my forums.

I dont konw Kyle personally at all, but it doesnt look like the sort of thing he would endorse. Especially when it happens on his forums. But I could be totally wrong about that too.

Honestly though no offence anyone..

I doubt they have to work hard here with the vid card sections being the way they are.. x.x

One way you can bite your thumb at these places though is read alot of reveiws not all from he same source.

I think there has been postive help these folks have been able to do for the NV comunity, however I do agree with Fallguy that at the end of the day these folks are getting hardware and that does tend to tip the scales a bit. So these folks while helping one side with their work, info, feedback, are also not the ones I would NOT trust in advising or discussing the merits of two different IHV solutions.

The story behind AEG seems to be that they search forums and compile a general public opinion that they sell to nVidia. If this is all it is then good nVidia and AEG.

heh, probably crap like:
“BFG return policy sucks, they ought to take a credit card number and mail the replacement product immediately because you can't use the original box to return their card and using the packaging for the replacement would ensure that I don't null the warranty.

I now have a rotting 7 month old 6600 GT OC and a foul taste in my mouth because I cannot locally find decent enough packaging. Considering that they'll be selling a physics card in a short period of time and considering that SLI is all the rage, it's a genuine pity to lose sales over a return policy.” True story...me

Advertising is a big no-no on most forums, is often in the user agreements and there's also a potential for liability through false advertising.

Employment with other promotional organizations seems to have included “inheriting” older, well established user names to carry the torch. Use of talking points, both positive, negative as well as damage control when a product has a flaw.

Lastly, Hardocp reviews do not have a bias in their articles or numbers. The site and reviewers themselves need to be commended and thanked for the honest help and for turning around a noticeable lack of credibility many enthusiast sites have gone through the last several years.

If you don't agree with them, turn the channel. Please don't get “hard” looking for revenge because somehow your “self-esteem” got tied to a big faceless corporation.

I think there's a big difference between the beta testers like Rollo claims to be, and the people who are paid to post on forums, like the guy here http://www.penny-arcade.com/news/show/21589

I would say somebody like Rollo is affiliated with nvidia, and as such most of his posts are purely based on his own opinions. We all remember that...one....guy....that was given x800xt's before they were available and broke a few records by supercooling it (what was his name?)

However, the guerilla marketing companies who have set goals for post counts and such are a very different story, and those people should at least be exposed.

fallguy said:
Taking hardware, and other things behind "closed doors", and then told to share their expierences with the public, hardly seems impartial. This sort of stuff is not allowed in other professions, for a reason. I see them as bribs. Its obvious some of these posters have a real agenda. Misleading the public with a one-sided agenda is not something I would allow on my forums.

But that's just the thing... You can't simply conclude that they are indeed bribes, and that people are indeed posting with a one-sided agenda, just because they happen to be testing some new NVIDIA hardware or such.
There is ofcourse also the option of genuinely being partial to a certain company because you prefer their products for some valid reasons. Regardless of your position as a tester or anything.
So I think you can't just jump the gun and ban anyone involved with whatever company in whatever way. I think you should only ban when people are posting misinformation or are otherwise trying to mislead others... or ofcourse if they are disrespecting other members etc, but that is already covered in the forum rules.

Jbirney said:
So these folks while helping one side with their work, info, feedback, are also not the ones I would NOT trust in advising or discussing the merits of two different IHV solutions.

Videocards are technology. And technology is not about trust. It's about cold hard facts. If something is better, you can present facts to prove that, and you can argue why.
So there's no trust involved. You just have to understand the technology and make up your own mind. Else, there's no point in discussing the technology anyway, is there?

fallguy said:

I dont konw Kyle personally at all, but it doesnt look like the sort of thing he would endorse. Especially when it happens on his forums. But I could be totally wrong about that too.

Jbirney said:
I think there has been postive help these folks have been able to do for the NV comunity, however I do agree with Fallguy that at the end of the day these folks are getting hardware and that does tend to tip the scales a bit. So these folks while helping one side with their work, info, feedback, are also not the ones I would NOT trust in advising or discussing the merits of two different IHV solutions.

My quote for a simialr response Fallguy quoted at B3D

What do you mean its not "allowed", Doctors do it with the drugs they prescribe, what are all those free samples they get from phramac's all about? Are doctors bad. Is it a bad thing they prescribe a drug to help someone. Fallguy, think before you talk. Next time you go to your physician and tell him I want a drug of your own's choice, see what happens. No the doctor precribes the drug he thinks is best for the course of action period, if that drug is something he gets samples of, which probably is well there you go.

By your own words you will not trust your doctor then or any doctor for that mater?

Back