Opteron? More like OpterOWN.

jebo_4jc said:
Sooo.....$160......minus some for being used.....plus some for being a good overclocker......oh hell--I'll go crazy and offer you $155 for it :D

I suggest you take me up on a good offer while it stands.

No way! If it ships to St. Louis it's going in my rig. ;)

Working on getting one to replace my 4000+.

Are the dual-core opterons going to be this great of a deal compared to their regular x2 bretheren?

wake6830 said:
Are the dual-core opterons going to be this great of a deal compared to their regular x2 bretheren?

They've the potential to be. I can't imagine the heat and power reqs of a 3.2ghz dual core on air cooling, though :eek:

And, this chip is pretty much reserved already. Sorry guys.

Wow, really great OC robberbaron! What do you think (cf)Eclipse? Taller must be better huh? ;) I hope some guys start workin on some 146's soon. We might see some great action with the 10 multi. At least im hoping.

PaHick said:
Wow, really great OC robberbaron! What do you think (cf)Eclipse? Taller must be better huh? ;) I hope some guys start workin on some 146's soon. We might see some great action with the 10 multi. At least im hoping.

I am using an xp90 w/ 92mm panaflo u1a on a msi neo4 plat/nonsli w/ gskill wk440 tccd LE.

This SS is 1:1 max so far. I might try a burn-in this weekend and see how high stock volts can take me.

FX Speed's with temps @ 35C :cool:

Great start...im watchin everyone here and their posts at XS. I could be wrong, but I just have a feeling the 146's are gonna do better.

How much did you pay for the 146? 10 multi sounds nice and flexible.

And yeah, my theory of the taller box did pan out well. I'm liking this 1.408v and 3004MHz right now. :cool:

Id be liking that too...lol. I believe you owe Vandi a big sloppy kiss for that one :D Luck of the draw though. I just wish I was playin with you guys instead of sittin on the sidelines. But funds arent there right now. Just as fun no less though.

robberbaron said:
How much did you pay for the 146? 10 multi sounds nice and flexible.

And yeah, my theory of the taller box did pan out well. I'm liking this 1.408v and 3004MHz right now. :cool:

he charged me $208 but i picked it up. shipping would have cost me $12 extra but i opted to ride down to his local and get the chip. long ride on the motorcycle but well worth it

PaHick said:
Id be liking that too...lol. I believe you owe Vandi a big sloppy kiss for that one :D Luck of the draw though. I just wish I was playin with you guys instead of sittin on the sidelines. But funds arent there right now. Just as fun no less though.

Just save up $160 or so and you can join the OC party :D

robberbaron said:
Get an X2. I have a 4200+ and this Opteron. [...] the Opteron cost me $160, haha.
I think that will be the main selling point for many. Dual core doesn't really matter all that much yet, and between $450+ for the 4200+ and some $160+ for the 144 (if one can find it) the choice is pretty clear. Heck, you can blow one of the 144's up and still come out ahead.

Though I am not sure of the advantage of 1Ghz FSB on the newer chips, your 144 is running at some 340Mhz if I saw that right?

Has anyone reached 3 ghz with an opteron 144 (or 146) on a MSI K8N Neo2 PE? I see lots of people using the NF4 DFI boards, but not the MSI :( .

DarkenReaper57 said:
Has anyone reached 3 ghz with an opteron 144 (or 146) on a MSI K8N Neo2 PE? I see lots of people using the NF4 DFI boards, but not the MSI :( .

well if i have my way i will be soon enough! :p

This is like a 150$ FX57 without a unlocked multi. If some of them appear on the egg or ZZF i'll definatly order this, as my FX53 is not OCing as much as i want.

DarkenReaper57 said:
Cool, let me know how things work out :).

How far were you able to take the winchester?

oh well as you know i run it at 2.5 (250x10) all the time, since year start.... anyhoo with this new ram i was tryin to figure out some ways ot handle hte ram and figured i'd try out the cpu on the water, and it goes right up to 2.7 (270x10) so if onnnnnllllyyy my ram would work with meeeeeeee :(

i did the 2.7 like tuesday or whatev

and it goes right up to 2.7 (270x10) so if onnnnnllllyyy my ram would work with meeeeeeee

Don't be afraid of using a divider. This isn't the bad old days of NF2, where using a divider meant kissing performance good bye. These days, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference, as long as the RAM is running at least 200 MHz. CPU clock speed is where the performance is at.

ANYWAY, these new Opterons look pretty sweet (holy mother of hippos, 3 GHz on air!). I'd jump on one to replace my 3000+ Venice if I hadn't just ordered a 3800+ X2.

I am confused. Is the Opteron 144 s939 still being made? I thought it was all old stock and the new ones are s940.

Ah, thanks.
Wonder whether AMD will raise the price on them now that they seem to become popular.

yall talkin bout em like you can go down to the corner best buy and cop them.... as it stands not much folks have em and it will be the corp sector buyin em up anyways

I am still somewhat confused by this.
So there is an Opteron 144 for S939, which only came out recently. I can sort of understand the rationale given that the NF4 boards with S939 are widely popular and cheap. I can also sort of understand the purpose of bringing a "slow at stock" cheap chip on the market, as many users do not put their CPUs under heavy load.

What I don't get is why some obscure vendors have that chip in their inventory (as backordered or temp out of stock), while it doesn't show up on major vendor's web sites. I also don't quite get the lack of inventory, I would have imagined that a new product would be easily available.

Thuleman said:
I am still somewhat confused by this.
So there is an Opteron 144 for S939, which only came out recently. I can sort of understand the rationale given that the NF4 boards with S939 are widely popular and cheap. I can also sort of understand the purpose of bringing a "slow at stock" cheap chip on the market, as many users do not put their CPUs under heavy load.

What I don't get is why some obscure vendors have that chip in their inventory (as backordered or temp out of stock), while it doesn't show up on major vendor's web sites. I also don't quite get the lack of inventory, I would have imagined that a new product would be easily available.
maybe because amd doesnt want the it to cripple the sales of the venices so they released it under the radar? thats wat im thinkin :p please correct me if im wrong anyone ;)

catching up, but i still think my mobo is being lame-ass. this is with 20c idle and 30c load:

3310.3mhz screen = http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=40990

3044mhz sPI 1m:

1_50.png

single channel due to my surprising lack of memory

Isn't this chip an absolute blast and a half ozzi? I feel sorry for those that dont have Opterons :(

heh, yeah.. i wish i had money to kill so i wouldn't feel bad if i hurt it. simply too much fun to play with :D

Nettwerk said:
A voltage hog SD 4000+ 2.8ghz 1.65v
damn that hoe musta ran warm :p and err...wats the rest of ur set up? (ie. mobo, ram, heatsink. etc)

OK, I've never been really *really* into the know on A64s, but whats the bonus of going low end opteron (like this) instead of venice or x2 (which my usage pattern would recommend)?

robberbaron said:
Isn't this chip an absolute blast and a half ozzi? I feel sorry for those that dont have Opterons :(

LOL robber you suck :p no need to rub it in their faces

(cf)Eclipse said:
heh, yeah.. i wish i had money to kill so i wouldn't feel bad if i hurt it. simply too much fun to play with :D

I might pick up another 146 from vandi this week just to fiddle around some more :D. payday was yesterday

hey eclipse you might wanna add on an opty section in your a64 oc database here

GLSauron said:
OK, I've never been really *really* into the know on A64s, but whats the bonus of going low end opteron (like this) instead of venice or x2 (which my usage pattern would recommend)?

Twice the L2 as the Venice, but seems to be better than or equal to venice OCing, and barely more expensive.

Significantly cheaper than X2. Also OCing single cores just seems more fun to a lot of people.

Basically, these seem to be sandiego but cheaper and higher quality. Cant really argue with that.

Theoretical question: If I had a local computer shop, which has access to a distributer which only deals in AMD chips. If that local shop had a minimum order requirement of what translates to 12 CPUs (any kind) from that AMD direct distributer, and IF that AMD direct distributer had 144 S939 in stock. Would you go ahead and get 12 of those for $177 each and then try and move them?

Back